Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Ridiculous fines...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I know why dog owners walk their dogs off leash - cause they are too poor to afford a house with a backyard. Think about it....just saying.

For your information, I am a homeowner. I own a condo.

I DO know why people here are snarky for posting things that they would never say in person- because they are douchbags!!!!

Who bought you your house- mommy or daddy or was it Uncle Jim back in Iowa?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 1:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
the fines are supposed to be excessive, and the pain in the butt of a mandatory court appearance is excessive as well, and they are done to act as a deterrent!

Obiviously, people ignore the laws (my dog deserves to be off leash), so if a simple law of the land doesn't work, then yeah, give it a nasty fine, and a court appearance. Maybe next time the dog owner will think twice.

And as for drinking on a stoop - for nearly ten years we sit on my stoop almost nightly with a drink, when the weather is nice. The cops have never said a word about it.

Similiarly, when we were having problems with the residents of a house on our block, and they would be all sitting on the stoop drinking beer - the police told us there was nothing they could do, that the people were not breaking any laws....

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
You came to the wrong place for sympathy (or, to vent) as very few people, if any, will feel anything but glee at the fact that basic, quality of life, issues are finally being addressed.

Instead of bitching, or complaining, about a friend being booted for unpaid fines, why don't you ask your friend why he (she?) has failed to pay three tickets? BTW, I say three, because I believe that is the standard for booting a car: three unpaid tickets. And, furthermore, that is what Fulop fought for some years ago: for strict adherence to the rule that allows booting if, and only if, a car owner has failed to pay the defined number of tickets (which, IIRC, is three). Don't get it twisted, or try and frame to your convenience.

As for the unleashed dog, I have to agree with nyrgravey9 (despite our differences in other threads) that this is also a QOL issue and that the police should be vigilant about enforcing these rules. As others have said in other threads, an off leash dog is unpredictable, even a perfectly, well behaved one.

About beer on a stoop, that's definitely BS. That one, if really happened the way you describe it, could/should be fought.

I'm not looking for your sympathy. Just a little empathy. For anyone one this thread to say they are innocent of ever committing a QOL violation, you are flat out liars and hypocrites. Again, who here has not jaywalked? Is it not a QOL violation? Is it not illegal? Would you not be pissed if a cop pulled up on the sidewalk, stopped you and issued a fine that has a mandatory court appearance attached?

I completely understand that JC List, and its fiercest posters, are here to emanate their vast superiority by denigrating others. And when you get those beers, make sure you don't drink them on a stoop!

Yet again, assumptions are being made that just aren't true.... There were 2 unpaid tickets, each received within the last 60 days and without ever receiving a second notice- which the law states as proper protocol before placing a boot.

I am fully aware of what Fulop was fighting for. I'm not "getting anything twisted" nor am I "trying to frame anything for my convenience". Please don't type if you don't know the facts surrounding your baseless accusations.

I have included the article below stating what Fulop was fighting for 5 years ago, for everyone's info...

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... -vehicles-with-3--tickets

Posted on: 2013/7/24 1:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
the fines are supposed to be excessive, and the pain in the butt of a mandatory court appearance is excessive as well, and they are done to act as a deterrent!

Obiviously, people ignore the laws (my dog deserves to be off leash), so if a simple law of the land doesn't work, then yeah, give it a nasty fine, and a court appearance. Maybe next time the dog owner will think twice.

And as for drinking on a stoop - for nearly ten years we sit on my stoop almost nightly with a drink, when the weather is nice. The cops have never said a word about it.

Similiarly, when we were having problems with the residents of a house on our block, and they would be all sitting on the stoop drinking beer - the police told us there was nothing they could do, that the people were not breaking any laws....

So you think that a court appearance is justified? What's next- getting a fine and mandatory court appearance for something as trivial as jaywalking?

Posted on: 2013/7/24 1:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

Looks like it's legal to drink on YOUR stoop:

Jersey City Municipal Code

§ 84-38. Definitions.

§ 84-38. Definitions.permanent link to this piece of content

As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE - Any liquid intended for human consumption containing more than one-half of one percent (1/2 of 1%) of alcohol by volume.

PUBLIC PLACE - A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access, including but not limited to any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city, except that the definition of a "public place" shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property.

Thank you paulushooker. I will definitely pass this info on...

Posted on: 2013/7/24 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
the just the usual bunch of 1st world whiners ...

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3v9yci/

Posted on: 2013/7/24 0:08

Edited by o73o2 on 2013/7/24 0:26:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Change doesn't happen overnight Batman. But it does come.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Cops were all over Hamilton Park tonight writing tickets. Oh wait, no they weren't nor will they ever be. Losers.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Cops were all over Hamilton Park tonight writing tickets. Oh wait, no they weren't nor will they ever be. Losers.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that it's somewhat ambiguous, but I think the more reasonable reading would be that drinking is permitted "within property boundaries." My reasoning is that the very inclusion of the language exempting private property seems to be meant to distinguish it from the "publicly accessible" areas referred to in the first part of the regulation. In other words, if the drafters meant "within a dwelling" then this language wouldn't even be necessary as the inside of someone's house is not publicly accessible. Areas such as front lawns, porches, stoops, etc, are private property but are still publicly accessible. So it's most reasonable to think that the drafters intended to specifically exempt these privately owned, yet publicly accessible areas from the regulation. Quote:
ripple wrote: I think it's ambiguous as to whether "within" implies "within the confines of a dwelling" or "within property boundaries", and I can see how the police might use this ambiguity to justify harassing people on their stoops. Quote:
paulushooker wrote:

Looks like it's legal to drink on YOUR stoop:

Jersey City Municipal Code

? 84-38. Definitions.

? 84-38. Definitions.permanent link to this piece of content

As used in this Article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE - Any liquid intended for human consumption containing more than one-half of one percent (1/2 of 1%) of alcohol by volume.

PUBLIC PLACE - A place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has access, including but not limited to any highway, street, road, sidewalk, parking area, shopping area, place of amusement, playground, park or beach located within the city, except that the definition of a "public place" shall not include those premises duly licensed for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises or within their own private property.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I know why dog owners walk their dogs off leash - cause they are too poor to afford a house with a backyard. Think about it....just saying.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Fact is that my relationship with the local police has given me carte blanche in HP.

this really makes you come across like a world-class creeper.

You think so? I thought Vigilante was joking around.

I sure hope you're correct.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Could it be your friend was on the side-walk goofing around with a drink in hand before the cops came and they retreated to the stoop? Were the cops there because of a complaint and was your friend being a smart-ass once the cops did attend?
Generally cops aren't that stupid (some however are) and only give out tickets that are complaint generated or a clear safety violation .... its never personal (unless its a stupid cop) and not to generate revenue .... cops don't get commissions from fines!

Posted on: 2013/7/23 23:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Fact is that my relationship with the local police has given me carte blanche in HP.

You think so? I thought Vigilante was joking around.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Depends on who is doing the drinking hahaha.

Either way, drinking alcohol is legal (within limits), walking your dog off leash is still illegal.

The fines they are a comin'!

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Meanwhile alcohol consumption is much more detrimental to the quality of life in our neighborhoods than any 1,000 dogs.

The DUI's, litter and noise etc. are not legal. The amount of death and destruction caused by booze is out of control. Shall we pull up all the drinking related accidents in this area alone over the past few years? And no, there are no fines coming for me, I promise. They will never get me. The cops love me for all the criminals I have helped put away over the years.

Give it a rest. Can't JClist go a day without you reminding us that you're JC's very own Batman?

this made me snort-laugh.

wasn't pretty. scared the dog. worth it.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Dogs off leash, no matter how well trained their owners may claim they are, are much more prone to being run over by cars. It's really just roulette, in a way.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
They're not there yet, but it's definitely coming. The idea of cops standing there while things like this occur right in front of them is exactly what is being brought up at neighborhood association meetings.

Accountability in the JCPD is the new mantra, which will be visible through enforcement, as we've seen in the OP.

So, I thank you for letting us know that the local police does favor for certain residents while harassing others. It's not exactly something I would brag about, but again, all good things come to an end.

(hopefully, not the Batman suit. Keep that going!)

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Your tactics have been tried before by other whiners. It got old fast then too. Fact is that my relationship with the local police has given me carte blanche in HP. I will never be fined for allowing my pooch to exercise. You can write all the letters you like but the cops don't care. I mean, are you not the one sitting all day on your balcony with binoculars and accomplishing nothing but raising your blood pressure? Meanwhile, the dogs swim and play unmolested.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Your tactics have been tried before by other whiners. It got old fast then too. Fact is that my relationship with the local police has given me carte blanche in HP. I will never be fined for allowing my pooch to exercise. You can write all the letters you like but the cops don't care. I mean, are you not the one sitting all day on your balcony with binoculars and accomplishing nothing but raising your blood pressure? Meanwhile, the dogs swim and play unmolested.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I found a picture of Vigilante!!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I seem to be getting plenty done in my neighborhood, all without the flashy tights and cape Mr. GZ/Vigilante

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I don't carry a gun, I don't patrol and I don't confront criminals as that's what cops are trained for. I do stay alert and I do get results. Batman is a fictional character. I am real and I watch out for neighbors and strangers alike. You guys bitch while I succeed. It's that simple. Gotta walk the dogs. See ya.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I don't carry a gun, I don't patrol and I don't confront criminals as that's what cops are trained for. I do stay alert and I do get results. Batman is a fictional character. I am real and I watch out for neighbors and strangers alike. You guys bitch while I succeed. It's that simple. Gotta walk the dogs. See ya.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Either way, drinking alcohol is legal (within limits), walking your dog off leash is still illegal.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Meanwhile alcohol consumption is much more detrimental to the quality of life in our neighborhoods than any 1,000 dogs.

The DUI's, litter and noise etc. are not legal. The amount of death and destruction caused by booze is out of control. Shall we pull up all the drinking related accidents in this area alone over the past few years? And no, there are no fines coming for me, I promise. They will never get me. The cops love me for all the criminals I have helped put away over the years.

Give it a rest. Can't JClist go a day without you reminding us that you're JC's very own Batman?

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
You're starting to sound like a certain neighborhood watch guy down in Florida...

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/23 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Barcade or bust!

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It could be our very own beer summit! :)
I suggest the Zepp, which is my watering hole of choice.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
It could be our very own beer summit! :)
I suggest the Zepp, which is my watering hole of choice.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Thank you. Now I owe YOU a beer LOL

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
You came to the wrong place for sympathy (or, to vent) as very few people, if any, will feel anything but glee at the fact that basic, quality of life, issues are finally being addressed.

Instead of bitching, or complaining, about a friend being booted for unpaid fines, why don't you ask your friend why he (she?) has failed to pay three tickets? BTW, I say three, because I believe that is the standard for booting a car: three unpaid tickets. And, furthermore, that is what Fulop fought for some years ago: for strict adherence to the rule that allows booting if, and only if, a car owner has failed to pay the defined number of tickets (which, IIRC, is three). Don't get it twisted, or try and frame to your convenience.

As for the unleashed dog, I have to agree with nyrgravey9 (despite our differences in other threads) that this is also a QOL issue and that the police should be vigilant about enforcing these rules. As others have said in other threads, an off leash dog is unpredictable, even a perfectly, well behaved one.

About beer on a stoop, that's definitely BS. That one, if really happened the way you describe it, could/should be fought.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 18:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
MDips,

I think in the other thread we established a more comprehensive reason why dogs off leash is a bad thing (despite the fact that it's flat out illegal), which includes possible bites, danger to other pets/individuals, etc. This thread has narrowed the focus to one aspect, and is ignoring the larger picture of that particular argument.

I agree with the rest, it's nice to see increased enforcement (Vigilante, I think you owe me a beer...if I recall you said it would never happen).

Quote:

mdips wrote:
Quote:

Bubble_Tea wrote:
Quote:

Piert1025 wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Now we just need those cops to issue off leash tickets in Morris Canal, Hamilton and Van Vorst Park. Progress!

Totally stealing the violin video...

So you are the person that posted that thread a few weeks back on responsible dog ownership, right?

What do you think would degrade the quality of a grass field more (because that WAS the whole point of your post, right?)- a dog running on it or a car driving on it?

The cop drove onto the field to give a ticket to the owner of a leash-less dog....

Both degrade the quality of JC parks and both should not happen. But, generally, I am very happy to see police enforcing the leash rule. Hopefully, this is a sign of a change in enforcement policy!

JC parks need fenced in dog runs so dog owners have a space where they can let their dogs go free without risking a fine and so that everyone can enjoy JC parks without dogs damaging them.
'

Let's be fair, technically speaking an off leash dog does no more damage to a park than an on leash dog. As well as the fact that on vs off leash will do little to improve people cleaning up their dog poop. If someone is inconsiderate enough to not pick up after their dog, they're likely not going to do it whether the dog is off leash or not.

Saying off leash dogs damage the parks is a seemingly weak argument because there are much more damaging activities that happen on a daily basis. Take a look at the center of the Morris Canal park. That grass will never grow back because of the volleyball games every weekend. I'm not in any way arguing they shouldn't be allowed to happen, just pointing out that they've permanently destroyed the grass. In lincoln park, just stroll through the park on a sunday night or monday morning during the summer and see all the litter left after the big bbqs and parties from the weekend(not to mention the blatant public alcohol consumption that occurs).

I agree. Was just trying to keep the argument focused on facts and not generalizations.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Also, you have to be a little more savvy if you're going to walk the dog off-leash. Generally the cops just don't care unless you flaunt it with a large dog.

More savvy? More like less stupidity. Dog poop and sports fields don't mix. The cop applied commonsense. The dog owner deserved that ticket, and probably got let off easy.

There you go implying that off-leash means that the owner doesn't pick up the poop. I walk my dog off-leash all the time and always clean up. I see people calling the cops once in awhile because they're lonely busybodies. Even if the cops respond we are long gone. BTW, My dog has walked right up to cops while off-leash. They just don't care. They usually pet the dog admiringly.

..and there you go missing the point. The dog in question was in a closed in sports field. On-leash or off-leash, the owner was liable to be ticketed. A cop would neither know nor care about whether the dog had pooped and whether the owner cleaned up after their dog. People play sports on sports fields. They don't expect to have to play around the piss and poop stains.

And to the OP. Yes $100 plus your day in court was getting off easy for your girlfriend's lack of common sense and courtesy.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:51

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017