Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Former Gov. McGreevey to head Jersey City jobs commission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
... does this new position mean that McGreevy maybe collecting another pension check in the future?

Did you miss this? From Steve Fulop's reply in this thread:

"2) He was not hired for the pension credits as the agency is not in the same pension he is in
"

So to collect a pension in this system he'll be starting from zero.

That was exactly my question... so at some point as we look forward, he will be collecting a Jersey City pension on $110000 salary, along with whatever he qualified for in other pension plans... curious if he is vested immediately or needs to wait a certain amount of time?

Posted on: 2013/7/22 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
... does this new position mean that McGreevy maybe collecting another pension check in the future?

Did you miss this? From Steve Fulop's reply in this thread:

"2) He was not hired for the pension credits as the agency is not in the same pension he is in
"

So to collect a pension in this system he'll be starting from zero.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of reading involved the The Record's investigative report on the rise and downfall of McGreevy. it is an amazing, but very disturbing story on the influence money and power have on the NJ political scene. One thing that hasn't changed are the public relations attempts to spin a bad ideas into a good ideas that will benefit the citizens. I have another question regarding the McGreevy compensation package... does this new position mean that McGreevy maybe collecting another pension check in the future?

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JChomefornow wrote:
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Yvonne
You have always been reasonable and I appreciate the posts but speculation is really not fair.

1) Jim was not hired for the money as he was already employed despite a columnists opinion.

2) He was not hired for the pension credits as the agency is not in the same pension he is in

3) He was not hired because he wants to get into politics because he will never do that again.

4) He is not a relative nor a long time friend so nepotism as you reference is not an issue.

5) he was never offered any other post as you mentioned. Not business administrator or anything else

I made this hire because the goal is to revamp the employment and training department to be a national model. We have a chance to pick up an individual with huge credentials in the field and the ability to vault a second chance program to the next level because of his relationships in the private and public sector. I fully expected that some people who can't look past his time as governor would have this opinion but we live in a forgiving society that I am looking at his last 10 years which has been a model on this issue. in this situation Jersey City has huge upside potential with no downside at all.

This is a great editorial of many that were run on this decision. This is worth a read

http://observer.com/2013/07/editorial-a-lesson-in-humility/

I can say with my head high that I have been so careful and thoughtful on each leadership hire I have made to make jersey city proud and really give the chance for a difference maker. I understand and anticipated what some would say but we need to look forward not backward. Just my opinion.

?Forgiving???????
Steve, you?re a pretty funny guy.

Anyone that has paid any attention to you knows that forgiveness is not in your nature. Where was your forgiveness for a guy that didn?t betray the publics trust, but embarrassed himself due to his disease of alcoholism? In fact, you used it as part of your crusade to save us from all things bad.
And now, you open the door for the poster child for corruption, the guy that prompted the pay to play laws to be written, to step right into JC while telling us that we should look forward, not backward. Why? Because Steve said so.
Are you really giving us a puff piece on McGreevy from a Kushner publication? Really? You?re funnier than I thought.
McGreevy, Kushner and DeCotiis, perfect together, especially in JC.
McGreevy the new job commissioner. Kushner , McGreevy?s money man and Decotiis. Ahhh yes, DeCotiis, the no-bid contract attorney and Spectra Gasline lobbyists that gave your campaign thousands which you returned after a year ONLY because of public scrutiny. The troika who made pay to play a necessity.
THIS is what Steve thinks is good for Jersey City:

http://www.lenehan.org/McGreevey%20reprint.pdf

As someone said before, Councilman Fulop would be screaming , ?Corruption!! Cronyism!! STOP!!?

Eight years of harping on corruption, character assassinations and always playing a victim. You?ve shown the world who you really are, just another two-bit politician selling the city down the river. I guess if you take the money you dance to their tune.

Fair point. I thought Healy absolutely had to go but it's not consistent for Fulop to bash Healy's corruption and then take on McGreevey. Can't have it both ways.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/22 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Yvonne
You have always been reasonable and I appreciate the posts but speculation is really not fair.

1) Jim was not hired for the money as he was already employed despite a columnists opinion.

2) He was not hired for the pension credits as the agency is not in the same pension he is in

3) He was not hired because he wants to get into politics because he will never do that again.

4) He is not a relative nor a long time friend so nepotism as you reference is not an issue.

5) he was never offered any other post as you mentioned. Not business administrator or anything else

I made this hire because the goal is to revamp the employment and training department to be a national model. We have a chance to pick up an individual with huge credentials in the field and the ability to vault a second chance program to the next level because of his relationships in the private and public sector. I fully expected that some people who can't look past his time as governor would have this opinion but we live in a forgiving society that I am looking at his last 10 years which has been a model on this issue. in this situation Jersey City has huge upside potential with no downside at all.

This is a great editorial of many that were run on this decision. This is worth a read

I can say with my head high that I have been so careful and thoughtful on each leadership hire I have made to make jersey city proud and really give the chance for a difference maker. I understand and anticipated what some would say but we need to look forward not backward. Just my opinion.

?Forgiving???????
Steve, you?re a pretty funny guy.

Anyone that has paid any attention to you knows that forgiveness is not in your nature. Where was your forgiveness for a guy that didn?t betray the publics trust, but embarrassed himself due to his disease of alcoholism? In fact, you used it as part of your crusade to save us from all things bad.
And now, you open the door for the poster child for corruption, the guy that prompted the pay to play laws to be written, to step right into JC while telling us that we should look forward, not backward. Why? Because Steve said so.
Are you really giving us a puff piece on McGreevy from a Kushner publication? Really? You?re funnier than I thought.
McGreevy, Kushner and DeCotiis, perfect together, especially in JC.
McGreevy the new job commissioner. Kushner , McGreevy?s money man and Decotiis. Ahhh yes, DeCotiis, the no-bid contract attorney and Spectra Gasline lobbyists that gave your campaign thousands which you returned after a year ONLY because of public scrutiny. The troika who made pay to play a necessity.
THIS is what Steve thinks is good for Jersey City:

http://www.lenehan.org/McGreevey%20reprint.pdf

As someone said before, Councilman Fulop would be screaming , ?Corruption!! Cronyism!! STOP!!?

Eight years of harping on corruption, character assassinations and always playing a victim. You?ve shown the world who you really are, just another two-bit politician selling the city down the river. I guess if you take the money you dance to their tune.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Because McGreevey did what he did, there will always be some people who distrust him and will view his actions through the political lens. I cannot say that this is wrong. When you betray the public trust like McGreevey did, you can't complain if some people are skeptical and not ready to give you a second chance.

The only thing I ask my friends who don't like the McGreevey appointment is to try to view this going forward objectively and fairly. Distinguish between skepticism and cynicism. Use a lot of the former, but try to avoid the latter.

I happen to believe that this is, to use an overused term, a coup for Jersey City. But I recognize that other people can be very doubtful of that.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Yvonne

Steve, I don't see how you can say that bringing on McGreevey has "no downside at all." If you wanted to say the downside is being overstated, that's one thing - but to rule it out completely is either dishonest or naive.

Come on, the guy has a documented history of corruption and you think there's no chance he could slip up again? How?

If you cannot find a competent person for this role who isn't without a corrupt past, I think you should keep looking.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I like TheBigGuy

Posted on: 2013/7/21 4:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
in this situation Jersey City has huge upside potential with no downside at all.

McGreevey is tainted sauce. He is no good and will bring shame to you and Jersey City. He is worse for Jersey City than Sarah Palin is for Alaska.

Stay away from dirty Jersey politicians. There is no forgiveness for the corrupt.

Please reconsider.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MightyOz wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
and their names are ?

It took me 3 whole clicks from this thread and zero typing to find their names.

http://observer.com/masthead/

Which is not really relevant to the question is Jim McGreevey suitable for the job?

On the one hand is his deceit, incredibly poor judgment and character issues from his prior political life. On the other is his record since then and the work he's been doing. His capability as an executive is established, his experience in re-entry is solid. Whether you like the guy or not, he has the capacity to do a great job, and is a quantum leap beyond what we have had.

If you're suspicious, then watch him closely. McGreevey should be judged on the job he does for Jersey City and the people in his program.

It was a risk for Steve Fulop to pick him, but the potential benefit is huge. Fulop as a candidate said he was eager to try some new things. He's delivering on that promise, now they just have to work, something nobody can know this month or next. Good managers take smart chances, then watch how they go and make corrections when needed.

I think we've got the kind of Mayor he said he'd be, and I hope like hell it all works out.

LOL TOO FUNNY, If you google the first name (Publisher) on the Observer Masthead it will make you laugh out loud, then read his Wikipedia Bio.
The publisher's last name is prominent in that Yvonne document (unsourced) as part of a family of NJ democrat influence peddlers... If the Wicki Bio (unsourced) is 50% accurate, especially with political contributions and the Yvonne document is 50% accurate it certainly would disqualify that journal as an independent opinion of McGreevy's rehabilitation. And let's not start a discussion of how editorial board opinions are independent of the Publisher/Owner... ethics have been lacking in media for years!

Posted on: 2013/7/20 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Steve, it is nice to hear from you but I heard about McGreevey?s association with JC a week before it happened but I never mentioned it because I also do not appreciate speculation. In terms of McGreevey?s personal life, I will leave that to the Almighty. But in order to receive forgiveness you must ask for it. McGreevey never apologized for the scandals that were part of his administration as governor. Quite honestly, it is not about the billboard scandal, or the fact that he hired his lover, a non-American to be head of homeland security that bothers me. He followed in the same steps as Governor Whitman, bonding tens of millions, with no oversight on that money. It is the reason the state is not paying into the pension system because the bonds must be paid first. Personally, I want you to succeed and I hope this is the last of the political patronage because Councilman Fulop would never approve and would say so to the Healy Administration.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 18:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
and their names are ?

It took me 3 whole clicks from this thread and zero typing to find their names.

http://observer.com/masthead/

Which is not really relevant to the question is Jim McGreevey suitable for the job?

On the one hand is his deceit, incredibly poor judgment and character issues from his prior political life. On the other is his record since then and the work he's been doing. His capability as an executive is established, his experience in re-entry is solid. Whether you like the guy or not, he has the capacity to do a great job, and is a quantum leap beyond what we have had.

If you're suspicious, then watch him closely. McGreevey should be judged on the job he does for Jersey City and the people in his program.

It was a risk for Steve Fulop to pick him, but the potential benefit is huge. Fulop as a candidate said he was eager to try some new things. He's delivering on that promise, now they just have to work, something nobody can know this month or next. Good managers take smart chances, then watch how they go and make corrections when needed.

I think we've got the kind of Mayor he said he'd be, and I hope like hell it all works out.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 18:18
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
and their names are ?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 17:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Interesting read however who is the actual author of the article as the timing of it makes me squint on its true nature ?
Nice to know the actual name/s behind 'The Editors' that wrote it?

Are you new to editorials? They're the official opinion of the senior editor and/or publisher.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Interesting read however who is the actual author of the article as the timing of it makes me squint on its true nature ?
Nice to know the actual name/s behind 'The Editors' that wrote it?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 17:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne

Posted on: 2013/7/20 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agustin Torres' column today said these words, "It comes down to one thing-McGreevey needs the $110,000 annual salary." Saturday, July 20, 2013
I believe someone approached Fulop with this request, Fulop has other political ambitions and wants to tap in the same fundraiser friends as McGreevey. The $110,000 of taxpayers money is a small downpayment to that request.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
McGreevey is an obvious sociopath just looking out for himself and a way back into politics. God, religion and helping others is just a ploy to make himself look better. He tried to become a Priest, but they realized he was nothing but a "Jackass" -- Episcopal Diocese of Newark.

Jersey City should not accept him.

This was a nice read... did not know he didn't make the cut, though I held the same suspicions when I said the Episcopal Church must not pay as well as Jersey City. Not sure about the other document but when it opened with Lesniak, I thought of him immediately as a key figure in this appt.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 22:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
McGreevey is an obvious sociopath just looking out for himself and a way back into politics. God, religion and helping others is just a ploy to make himself look better. He tried to become a Priest, but they realized he was nothing but a "Jackass" -- Episcopal Diocese of Newark.

Jersey City should not accept him.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I saw this article today, interesting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uK ... SZdUfko7zrfPLI/edit?pli=1

it's good you're not posting an anonymous google doc with huge speculation and no citations in it, that makes enormous assumptions. oh wait...

Hey, it's not proof of anything. But any association with someone as corrupt as McGreevey is suspicious..

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I wrote this my name would be attached. I don't hide things. I don't write letters to the editor with phony names and I always speak before the council using my name. What I have notice with some jclist bloggers, they like to attack the messenger, not the message. Let me state - I actually wish I wrote this, but I just post it.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If I wrote this my name would be attached. I don't hide things.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I saw this article today, interesting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uK ... SZdUfko7zrfPLI/edit?pli=1

it's good you're not posting an anonymous google doc with huge speculation and no citations in it, that makes enormous assumptions. oh wait...

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I sense that Fulop had a whisper in his ear to maintain some sort of political party compliance if he wants to move forward in his career !

it sure smells like that, right? why else would you want to have McGreevey's cloud over your head? it doesn't give off the best appearance..

I really hope that is not the case, but, the city will need state/federal help... the state democrat political machine needs to curb the "new reform" mayor from JC because you wouldn't other parts of the state to follow the lead of Jersey City voters. It's going to be interesting, lets see how the mayor monitors his administration.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
I sense that Fulop had a whisper in his ear to maintain some sort of political party compliance if he wants to move forward in his career !

it sure smells like that, right? why else would you want to have McGreevey's cloud over your head? it doesn't give off the best appearance..

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
We're lucky to have McGreevey on board. We're getting top quality talent at a big discount. Unlike some posters in this thread I'm willing to give people a second chance.

Oh, come on. That talent comes with a disregard for ethics and morals. Think your standards might be a little low?

In fact, I'd question why Fulop would want to associate with someone who has acted so corruptly during their career. Hmm...

Posted on: 2013/7/18 1:18

Edited by WhoElseCouldIBe on 2013/7/18 1:41:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
We're lucky to have McGreevey on board. We're getting top quality talent at a big discount. Unlike some posters in this thread I'm willing to give people a second chance.

I hate it when people use phrases like "top quality talent at a discount"... if someone is that good, why discount your services? And save the "wants serve the public" quotes. He has been there and it didn't produce much. By all measures, that is a damn good salary compared to many Jersey City residents. How many other people were considered for the job? What is the current salary with benefits and how does that compare to similar positions in other cities? And based on the fact that bribes / pay-to-play is considered a cost to doing business in New Jersey, it is usually the taxpayer that gets screwed.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. McGreevey, despite his past personal shortcomings, has dedicated his time and efforts at a worthy cause in recent years, counseling inmates and helping them once they are out. That's a rather noble thing. I say let's give the guy a chance.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:23

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017