Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Aggressive homeless man in downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
[quote]
user1111 wrote:
I am aware wherever I go, from Greenville to the upper west side of NYC. We do not live in the 1950's this is 2013 where guns have become the norm and crazy is the new black in the metro area.

If you walk around daydreaming then you get what you get. Wake the fuk up!!

So you've never walked down the street doing anything other than surveying your surroundings? Never had a conversation that you were engrossed in? Never took a stroll after a fight with your significant other and weren't necessarily paying attention? Never had a long day at work that stuck with you as you were walking home? You were never thinking ahead to a night out, or something you needed to get done?

You never did any of this while walking down a well traveled street in the middle of the day? I'm going to go ahead and call bulls!t on that, because it is simply not human to always be 100% percent alert. [/quote
When I'm in Woodstock on the weekends I may let my guard down, but not here.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I am aware wherever I go, from Greenville to the upper west side of NYC. We do not live in the 1950's this is 2013 where guns have become the norm and crazy is the new black in the metro area.

No one is 100% aware at all times, so spare me with that stuff.

You are right unaware folks are called victims.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

No one is 100% aware at all times, so spare me with that stuff.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

So you've never walked down the street doing anything other than surveying your surroundings? Never had a conversation that you were engrossed in? Never took a stroll after a fight with your significant other and weren't necessarily paying attention? Never had a long day at work that stuck with you as you were walking home? You were never thinking ahead to a night out, or something you needed to get done?

You never did any of this while walking down a well traveled street in the middle of the day? I'm going to go ahead and call bulls!t on that, because it is simply not human to always be 100% percent alert.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Right? I'm not saying anyone deserves being robbed but if, you're walking down the street with an LV bag and ipod on you're a mark, period.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
What a load of crap.

I often daydream when walking around, I'm not always aware of my surroundings, I don't walk in fear or perceive a threat around every corner,

The ability to do this is a huge part of quality of life. I work in Newark and am extremely, extremely vigilant at all times. There are fairly regular muggings and shootings near where I work. I regularly survey where I would hide in the event of a shooting when I walk past sites where they've happened, and mentally drill myself to prepare myself for what I'd do in the event of a mugging or physical attack. I do not walk alone at all if it's after 9-9:30 at night.

I believe it's because of this vigilance that I have never had a problem there in over 3 years. I also went to high school in Greenville 10 years ago and never had a problem either due to vigilance (and luck, there's definitely always luck). But it's also exhausting. I could never live like that. I can't imagine being afraid to leave my house after dark.

We should not settle for that quality of life in downtown JC. Or anywhere, for that matter, but the reality is that downtown has lower crime rates than greenville or newark and should not merit the same sort of paranoia you need to get by in those areas.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
I had no idea we had so many citizens of JC who are always 100% focused, give money and/or volunteer with local homeless or mental illness causes, and who if they were approached by an unstable man, would offer him food amidst him not allowing you to pass and spitting on you. With such obvious strength and commitment, why is this even a problem anymore in JC?

People prefer blissful ignorance, to awareness?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I had no idea we had so many citizens of JC who are always 100% focused, give money and/or volunteer with local homeless or mental illness causes, and who if they were approached by an unstable man, would offer him food amidst him not allowing you to pass and spitting on you. With such obvious strength and commitment, why is this even a problem anymore in JC?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:
As one poster mentioned, there is a disturbing "blame the victim" attitude going on here and I really am disheartened by those responses.

There was likely more than one victim in this incident. And I'm equally disheartened by where blame is being placed.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 4:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/3 5:03
Group:
Registered Users
OP here - my deep in thought, if some of you must know, was probably just me walking home thinking about what to make for dinner and what ingredients I need to pick up along the way. I think that's a pretty normal thing to do, no? Regardless of whether i was concentrating on what's in front of me or not, I don't believe this encounter could've been prevented. Seeing a homeless person walk toward my direction in the street does not automatically make me think this person will cause me harm and run the opposite direction. I refuse to keep crossing the street to avoid homeless people in fear that they may be dangerous or unstable either. Otherwise, I'd be zig-zagging Newark Ave the entire way home!

As to if this person is the "Gordon's Fisherman" or not and whether he is mentally ill or not, I do not know (he was not wearing a heavy coat nor carrying a shopping basket). I can only assume that he was a belligerent old man, who seem prone to violence and may very well be the type that imbibes heavily as well.

I posted my experience on JCList partly because I wanted to start an open dialogue (or apparently, re-address this problem) on the disturbing amount of homeless people in the area and how everyday citizens are affected by some of their aggressive behaviors. I believe change starts with at least admitting and discussing the problem. Change will never take place if you tell people to just accept the status quo or move elsewhere. I really don't understand the attitude of some of the posters here. I do however, thank those that understand and sympathize with what i was trying to convey. As one poster mentioned, there is a disturbing "blame the victim" attitude going on here and I really am disheartened by those responses.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 4:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/3 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Question for SOS: Do you have to practice being a self-important douchebag or does it come naturally?

Quote:

SOS wrote:
Question for the OP. You mentioned that you were "deep in thought." Do you recall what you were thinking that was so important that you weren't paying attention to your surroundings? Were you working on a solution to world hunger, ways to mitigate climate change, or a switch to a new color of nail polish? If you're looking for sympathy, as you're now aware, you've come to the wrong place. We gave you advice that may be hard to swallow, which is, and I'm paraphrasing -- not a good idea to space out while walking down Newark Street where the crazy homeless people hang out.

If you want to do something, file a police report on the Fisherman with the JCPD. Or instead of being a victim, you can volunteer to help solve the problem.

link

Interesting you dismissed the sexual assault victim and now SOS is a douche bag. really? Look in the mirror.

The real problem here are morons like you SOS that turn the other way when disgusting aggressive homeless bother hard working tax paying citizens. Hope you get priced out and have to move out of dt.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 3:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/3 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to hear about your experience- hopefully the new mayor gets people off the streets and into shelters. That police number is helpful.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What a load of crap.

I often daydream when walking around, I'm not always aware of my surroundings, I don't walk in fear or perceive a threat around every corner, I should be allowed to walk around any neighborhood, I often sit at a park bench and people watch with a laugh or read a newspaper however I am aware of known trouble spots that I do often ignore if I need to venture through them.
Siht does happen everywhere but I carry on regardless as we don't live in the middle east or lawless third world country.
I refuse to allow my environment to dictate my quality of life by fear mongering individuals that suggest the only way I will survive is by living in fear, having a detailed plan on how to walk to the store or the need to carry a weapon.
We have a police force for which I pay taxes and I expect them to do their job, I also pay taxes and expect social welfare / services to cater to the needs of our homeless and mental health patients.
Society hasn't let us down, the Local, State and Federal governments have. The next time you see anti-social behavior or a homeless person in need in the street, report it, and get the authorities to act - Time to reclaim the streets and take ownership of your neighborhood

Posted on: 2013/7/20 0:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I have, however, been propositioned by the shopping cart couple on more than one occasion -__-

Wow are you not lucky or what? I love that cute couple! Usually they can be found somewhere along Newark Avenue or in front of the McDonalds but one morning I passed them along First Street rolling along in front of lovely brownstones. Those two are a riot!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Question for the OP. You mentioned that you were "deep in thought." Do you recall what you were thinking that was so important that you weren't paying attention to your surroundings? Were you working on a solution to world hunger, ways to mitigate climate change, or a switch to a new color of nail polish? If you're looking for sympathy, as you're now aware, you've come to the wrong place. We gave you advice that may be hard to swallow, which is, and I'm paraphrasing -- not a good idea to space out while walking down Newark Street where the crazy homeless people hang out.

If you want to do something, file a police report on the Fisherman with the JCPD. Or instead of being a victim, you can volunteer to help solve the problem.

link

Oh, come on. Please don't pretend you're 100% aware of your surroundings at all times.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
You mean the one who called everyone on this site "downtown racists" because no one replied to her at 1:00 AM?

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Question for SOS: Do you have to practice being a self-important douchebag or does it come naturally?

Quote:

SOS wrote:

link

Interesting you dismissed the sexual assault victim and now SOS is a douche bag. really? Look in the mirror.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Loopy wrote:

...pot calling the kettle black, lol

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
If we're talking about Tony aka gordons fisherman aka winter coat in 100 degree heat guy, he's a peach. Whenever I give him some change he thanks me and calls me Jesus. Although when he's in one of his moods, I give him a wide berth. Pretty simple.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Just wow.

To the OP, I'm very sorry this happened to you. And by "this" I mean that you had this terrible encounter, and that people on here are being so ridiculous.

Nearly the identical thing happened to me with this man. Clearly there was nothing the OP (or I) did to provoke or "deserve" being accosted like this. The issue is with the perpetrator, not with the victim not being vigilant enough or whatever. Please enough already.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
It's a protective bubble people like to live in. It must have been Natlia's fault because otherwise it could happen them, and that is obviously not an option.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. If there are never any victims we can never be victims ourselves. I hope the next time someone steals the phone or breaks into the car of one of these doubters their friends are all "well you shouldn't own an expensive phone in this city" or "you shouldn't have parked your car on that block - why do you own a car in the city anyway?"

Wow. That's like saying "I hope you get hit by a car and see how you like it.". Childish.

I don't wish anything bad on anyone. But when something bad inevitably happens because that's life, I certainly hope karma brings back what they've been dishing out. Schadenfreude and all that.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
But they are getting aggressive. Isn't it dangerous to have them roaming the ramp to 12th Street by the tunnel?

And they are spreading, one followed me outside the parking lot at Trader Joe's in Florham Park of all places.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
It's a protective bubble people like to live in. It must have been Natlia's fault because otherwise it could happen them, and that is obviously not an option.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. If there are never any victims we can never be victims ourselves. I hope the next time someone steals the phone or breaks into the car of one of these doubters their friends are all "well you shouldn't own an expensive phone in this city" or "you shouldn't have parked your car on that block - why do you own a car in the city anyway?"

Wow. That's like saying "I hope you get hit by a car and see how you like it.". Childish.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Loopy wrote:

Quote:

SOS wrote:

link

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

SOS wrote:

link

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Just because we live in a city does not mean people should have to walk around in a hyper aware state for fear of a bad encounter. That's no way to go through life and we should expect better of our city.

Awareness is a key element of NOT living in fear.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:
Really?! So the problem is with me, that I should pay more attention when someone walks right up to me in the middle of the day to harass me and refused to let me walk by, almost grabbing at me? Hmm...thanks for the advice of accepting the problems in the city as it is and work on myself instead.

Exactly. Either enjoy the occasional run-in with the Fisherman (AKA "Balls") or move out to the country and enjoy the ticks, Lyme disease and bad pizza.

Not sure what kind of validation you expected, Natalia. I thought most people answering your post were pretty constructive. Most people in JC don't consider encounters with homeless people a big deal. There have been people raped, murdered and robbed at gunpoint in the area. I'd guess that's more of a concern.

This is why people think everyone on JClist is a jerk. "If you complain of anything short of being raped, murdered, or held at gunpoint, you're a whiner." Great standards for life in our city you have there.

I will also add that the OP is apparently a woman, I'd guess many of the flippant replies are men who have no idea how much the fear of being raped goes through the mind of any woman aggressively accosted by a man.

OP some people like to victim blame no matter the post. I'm sure one day there'll be a post about someone who was raped and shot and killed and someone will say "well they shouldn't have been on that street at that hour" - if that hasn't already happened.

We're not blaming the victim, no more than we're blaming a 5-year old when we teach them to look both ways before using a crosswalk. We'd be more of a jerk to our kids if we didn't give that kind of advice. The point about mugging, rapes, murders etc, is the area isn't safe. At least not safe enough to be oblivious of your surroundings.

On the homeless - Moto expressed it best below:

Quote:

Moto wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

gigiwasabi wrote:
Is it really true that there is "nothing they can do"? I just saw someone on Jersey Ave, bundled up like it was the middle of winter. Clearly this person needs mental health care.

Nothing until they put someone in the hospital. The ACLU has seen to that.

If you understood mental health you might understand how the ACLU served to protect all people who might be misdiagnosed and forced into treatment. It is so much easier than you might suspect to diagnose someone with a mental illness given the iterations the DSM goes through yearly. Hey, you may even see our narcissistic/passive aggressive online behaviours listed as a symptom. :)

To the OP: Listen, if people with mental illness are living on the streets, they need our help! Are you part of the community you live in? Do these people get in your way of sipping Starbucks, playing video games at Barcade, and hula hooping at a farmer's market? Well, then I want to add your behaviour as symptomatic of a mental illness.

Engage with your community. What can you do for them? What resources are available? Don't have enough time in the day to figure all this out? Subtract the time it takes to scour JCLIST and add that to your community building leisure. You, me, JCLIST, Jersey City...we will thank you in the end.

+1

Posted on: 2013/7/19 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Noticed a homeless chap sleeping on the steps of McNair Academy, 9:30 PM last evening.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
This is why people think everyone on JClist is a jerk. "If you complain of anything short of being raped, murdered, or held at gunpoint, you're a whiner." Great standards for life in our city you have there.

I will also add that the OP is apparently a woman, I'd guess many of the flippant replies are men who have no idea how much the fear of being raped goes through the mind of any woman aggressively accosted by a man.

OP some people like to victim blame no matter the post. I'm sure one day there'll be a post about someone who was raped and shot and killed and someone will say "well they shouldn't have been on that street at that hour" - if that hasn't already happened.

What is the percentage of gay men accosting any men sexually or other wise ? This would be the only way to compare the horrors that are bestowed upon women conveyed in this posting.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017