Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Aggressive homeless man in downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Question for the OP. You mentioned that you were "deep in thought." Do you recall what you were thinking that was so important that you weren't paying attention to your surroundings? Were you working on a solution to world hunger, ways to mitigate climate change, or a switch to a new color of nail polish? If you're looking for sympathy, as you're now aware, you've come to the wrong place. We gave you advice that may be hard to swallow, which is, and I'm paraphrasing -- not a good idea to space out while walking down Newark Street where the crazy homeless people hang out.

If you want to do something, file a police report on the Fisherman with the JCPD. Or instead of being a victim, you can volunteer to help solve the problem.

link

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
It's a protective bubble people like to live in. It must have been Natlia's fault because otherwise it could happen them, and that is obviously not an option.

Just because we live in a city does not mean people should have to walk around in a hyper aware state for fear of a bad encounter. That's no way to go through life and we should expect better of our city.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
If your sister, mother, or grandmother had that sort of encounter...

That man?s situation would have broken my grandmother?s heart. She would have fed him.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
...some people like to victim blame no matter the post.

It's a stretch to say that she was victimized, but if natalia22 wishes to avoid similar encounters in the future, the wisest, simplest, and most practical thing she has the ability to do herself is PAY ATTENTION. If that kind of behavior disturbs her, and I understand why it might, she should be especially vigilant.

Did you read the OP?

" I said sorry and tried to walk by, but he wouldn't let me through. I tried dodging left and then right as he followed me at each direction I took, continuously asking for money, so I finally told him to get out of my way. He then turned belligerent and started cursing at me. I was finally able to walk past him as he continued to curse and then actually spat at me."

I believe that is an attempted assault, yes? If your sister, mother, or grandmother had that sort of encounter would you really be telling them they just needed to be more vigilant and that they weren't a victim of anything? Sure, everyone should pay attention all the time in the city, but getting accosted and spat at is not just punishment for not paying attention on one occasion.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
...some people like to victim blame no matter the post.

It's a stretch to say that she was victimized, but if natalia22 wishes to avoid similar encounters in the future, the wisest, simplest, and most practical thing she has the ability to do herself is PAY ATTENTION. If that kind of behavior disturbs her, and I understand why it might, she should be especially vigilant.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:
Really?! So the problem is with me, that I should pay more attention when someone walks right up to me in the middle of the day to harass me and refused to let me walk by, almost grabbing at me? Hmm...thanks for the advice of accepting the problems in the city as it is and work on myself instead.

Exactly. Either enjoy the occasional run-in with the Fisherman (AKA "Balls") or move out to the country and enjoy the ticks, Lyme disease and bad pizza.

Not sure what kind of validation you expected, Natalia. I thought most people answering your post were pretty constructive. Most people in JC don't consider encounters with homeless people a big deal. There have been people raped, murdered and robbed at gunpoint in the area. I'd guess that's more of a concern.

This is why people think everyone on JClist is a jerk. "If you complain of anything short of being raped, murdered, or held at gunpoint, you're a whiner." Great standards for life in our city you have there.

I will also add that the OP is apparently a woman, I'd guess many of the flippant replies are men who have no idea how much the fear of being raped goes through the mind of any woman aggressively accosted by a man.

OP some people like to victim blame no matter the post. I'm sure one day there'll be a post about someone who was raped and shot and killed and someone will say "well they shouldn't have been on that street at that hour" - if that hasn't already happened.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I believe the guy a few of you mentioned is who I refer to as "the fisherman." Grey hair, 60s, has a shopping basket with him most of the time, usually bundled up in a heavy coat regardless of weather. Drinks Carlo Rossi out of a jug. I believe he may be schizophrenic as well as an alcoholic.

I pass by him probably 5-6 times a week. I would say once out of every 10 times he'll curse at me. I have seen him get aggressive on rare occasions - one time it was breaking liquor bottles in the middle of Columbus Ave. Another time someone put a dead cat on my car - I suspected it was him. Just a hunch from the stuff he'd been muttering at me that week and his proximity to where it happened. When I discovered it he was sitting maybe 10 feet away, could have been waiting for me so he could watch. But who knows.

I had a run in with this guy a few years ago. I walked by him on Newark Ave and He spit on me and screamed a lot of nasty things. Now I always cross the street when I see him.

A few years ago, I caught the Gordon's Fisherman going through the garbage cans in the alley at my old building. He was throwing garbage all over the place in his quest for discarded takeout food. He was cursing up a storm about how he hated Chinese food and that was all he seemed to find in the garbage. I yelled at him for making a mess, felt bad about it and gave him $5. That's when he decided to hurl a bunch of racial slurs at me. Ever since, I just cross the street and give him wide berth whenever I see him. It could've been worse. A neighbor a few doors down once caught him taking a dump behind his stoop.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
People in this town have got very low standards for Quality of life issues. It might not be their fault though. They have lived under an inactive mayor and PD for a long time. This is going to change with our new mayor and revamped PD.

Quote:
Really?! So the problem is with me, that I should pay more attention when someone walks right up to me in the middle of the day to harass me and refused to let me walk by, almost grabbing at me? Hmm...thanks for the advice of accepting the problems in the city as it is and work on myself instead.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
I had a run in with this guy a few years ago. I walked by him on Newark Ave and He spit on me and screamed a lot of nasty things. Now I always cross the street when I see him.

What did the police report and health report state when you got the copy ? I am surprised he is still there and the the police tolerate his presence.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:

Exactly. Either enjoy the occasional run-in with the Fisherman (AKA "Balls") or move out to the country and enjoy the ticks, Lyme disease and bad pizza.

Not sure what kind of validation you expected, Natalia. I thought most people answering your post were pretty constructive. Most people in JC don't consider encounters with homeless people a big deal. There have been people raped, murdered and robbed at gunpoint in the area. I'd guess that's more of a concern.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 3:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

gigiwasabi wrote:
Is it really true that there is "nothing they can do"? I just saw someone on Jersey Ave, bundled up like it was the middle of winter. Clearly this person needs mental health care.

Nothing until they put someone in the hospital. The ACLU has seen to that.

If you understood mental health you might understand how the ACLU served to protect all people who might be misdiagnosed and forced into treatment. It is so much easier than you might suspect to diagnose someone with a mental illness given the iterations the DSM goes through yearly. Hey, you may even see our narcissistic/passive aggressive online behaviours listed as a symptom. :)

To the OP: Listen, if people with mental illness are living on the streets, they need our help! Are you part of the community you live in? Do these people get in your way of sipping Starbucks, playing video games at Barcade, and hula hooping at a farmer's market? Well, then I want to add your behaviour as symptomatic of a mental illness.

Engage with your community. What can you do for them? What resources are available? Don't have enough time in the day to figure all this out? Subtract the time it takes to scour JCLIST and add that to your community building leisure. You, me, JCLIST, Jersey City...we will thank you in the end.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I believe the guy a few of you mentioned is who I refer to as "the fisherman." Grey hair, 60s, has a shopping basket with him most of the time, usually bundled up in a heavy coat regardless of weather. Drinks Carlo Rossi out of a jug. I believe he may be schizophrenic as well as an alcoholic.

I pass by him probably 5-6 times a week. I would say once out of every 10 times he'll curse at me. I have seen him get aggressive on rare occasions - one time it was breaking liquor bottles in the middle of Columbus Ave. Another time someone put a dead cat on my car - I suspected it was him. Just a hunch from the stuff he'd been muttering at me that week and his proximity to where it happened. When I discovered it he was sitting maybe 10 feet away, could have been waiting for me so he could watch. But who knows.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 3:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/3 5:03
Group:
Registered Users
I feel like some people here don't realize that not every post on this forum needs to be answered by them. If you don't have something constructive to contribute than I'm not sure why you're bothering to answer. I lived in cities all my life, so not sure where this holier than though attitude comes from on suburbs vs. cities and how they have so much more "street smarts" than everyone else.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/19 1:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/3 5:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/19 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
I believe the guy a few of you mentioned is who I refer to as "the fisherman."

We call him "Balls" -- 'cause as I understand it, when my friends moved into their apartment on Columbus a few years ago - he was hanging out -- um, generally -- and his private parts, literally.

He's never been aggressive in my presence. So far, at least.

I have, however, been propositioned by the shopping cart couple on more than one occasion -__-

Posted on: 2013/7/19 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
There isn't many options for the homeless with issues - The City, State and Federal governments need to do something - We are no better then some third world countries.

aren't/than

Posted on: 2013/7/19 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There isn't many options for the homeless with issues - The City, State and Federal governments need to do something - We are no better then some third world countries.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 0:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/18 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gigiwasabi wrote:
Is it really true that there is "nothing they can do"? I just saw someone on Jersey Ave, bundled up like it was the middle of winter. Clearly this person needs mental health care.

Nothing until they put someone in the hospital. The ACLU has seen to that.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 21:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 16:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/18 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Wow does anyone here ever venture out of their homes, I pass homeless people daily on the streets of NYC, JC, Hoboken and Newark. Some of them are crazy, most are harmless. FYI they most likely will be here forever, I have never seen a major city without homeless people.

bless your heart.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow does anyone here ever venture out of their homes, I pass homeless people daily on the streets of NYC, JC, Hoboken and Newark. Some of them are crazy, most are harmless. FYI they most likely will be here forever, I have never seen a major city without homeless people.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:
I had a disturbing experience with a homeless man walking down Newark Ave (Ward E) this afternoon. The person in question from what I can remember, is a 5ft 5" white male, around 60-ish years old with short cropped gray hair. I think his eyes may be blue or grey. He walked right up to my face and asked for spare change. I was deep in thought so didn't notice him until he was right in front of me. I said sorry and tried to walk by, but he wouldn't let me through. I tried dodging left and then right as he followed me at each direction I took, continuously asking for money, so I finally told him to get out of my way. He then turned belligerent and started cursing at me. I was finally able to walk past him as he continued to curse and then actually spat at me. Luckily I was a safe range away from his spit. I was afraid at first when he wouldn't let me walk past him. He was so close and aggressive that I thought he was going to grab me at any moment.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar with this homeless person or others. There are usually homeless people hanging around Newark Ave and I have wondered before if they were ever aggressive. This proves to me that safety may indeed be an issue.

Clearly a scary experience. Never hesitate to call the police. I have the non-emergency # programmed in my phone 201-547-5477. Pretty east to remember as well. Use the camera on the smart phone whenever you can.

down right harrowing.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
I saw at least two questionable characters downtown yesterday afternoon.

One was an older, disheveled-looking man sitting on a stoop on Erie between First & Bay (more or less across the street from Balance Hair.) He looked like he was nearly passed out and when I walked past I noticed his pants were ripped wide open at the crotch. Did not bother to stick around for a closer look. (I have seen more homeless-guy penis than I would prefer already, thanks.)

Then as I got to Newark, I saw another guy shouting who may have matched the description natalia22 posted earlier. At first I thought it was the vuvuzela/hardhat guy, sans hardhat, but it may not have been him. Again, I didn't stick around to ask any questions.

hardhat guy has been really active lately, though I've never seen him engage anyone specifically. the shouting matches I've witnessed have only been between him and the universe.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I saw at least two questionable characters downtown yesterday afternoon.

One was an older, disheveled-looking man sitting on a stoop on Erie between First & Bay (more or less across the street from Balance Hair.) He looked like he was nearly passed out and when I walked past I noticed his pants were ripped wide open at the crotch. Did not bother to stick around for a closer look. (I have seen more homeless-guy penis than I would prefer already, thanks.)

Then as I got to Newark, I saw another guy shouting who may have matched the description natalia22 posted earlier. At first I thought it was the vuvuzela/hardhat guy, sans hardhat, but it may not have been him. Again, I didn't stick around to ask any questions.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I would also check for lice and bed bugs if he came that close to you. I wouldn't want any of his DNA to cling to me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/b ... l-court-article-1.1401626
The article in the above link describes a degenerate and his creepy crawlers in a Manhattan court room.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:36

Edited by heights on 2013/7/18 17:04:37
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've frequently been harassed by the guys that sit outside the McDonald's on Grove... I'm surprised they are allowed to loiter right at the door.

Just remember with these folks - never fight with crazy - they are better at it...

Where is the closest homeless shelter/facility?

Posted on: 2013/7/18 16:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

natalia22 wrote:
I had a disturbing experience with a homeless man walking down Newark Ave (Ward E) this afternoon. The person in question from what I can remember, is a 5ft 5" white male, around 60-ish years old with short cropped gray hair. I think his eyes may be blue or grey. He walked right up to my face and asked for spare change. I was deep in thought so didn't notice him until he was right in front of me. I said sorry and tried to walk by, but he wouldn't let me through. I tried dodging left and then right as he followed me at each direction I took, continuously asking for money, so I finally told him to get out of my way. He then turned belligerent and started cursing at me. I was finally able to walk past him as he continued to curse and then actually spat at me. Luckily I was a safe range away from his spit. I was afraid at first when he wouldn't let me walk past him. He was so close and aggressive that I thought he was going to grab me at any moment.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced something similar with this homeless person or others. There are usually homeless people hanging around Newark Ave and I have wondered before if they were ever aggressive. This proves to me that safety may indeed be an issue.

Clearly a scary experience. Never hesitate to call the police. I have the non-emergency # programmed in my phone 201-547-5477. Pretty east to remember as well. Use the camera on the smart phone whenever you can.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
If you are confronted like this, stay calm and keep things simple. Try something like "I need to go home and make the kids dinner. Is that ok?". You are not arguing, reasoning or confronting - just a simple statement and asking their permission to move away.

You also could deflect them: ask them if they're OK, and whether they have anyone they call that can help them out.
Call the police if you feel the situation warrants it. The attached tips are the same for psychotic people, drunks, junkies, etc.

http://www.world-schizophrenia.org/publications/15-crisis.html

http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/crisistips.htm

Previous posters have given the best advice though - stay aware and steer clear of these situations.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 14:39

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017