Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 16 »

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Let me make sure I am clear as to what I am saying regarding controlling your dog. If I'm out there walking my buddy's dog, on leash, and someone's dog is off leash and harassing my dog, yes, I will take control of the situation until the dog's owner comes and gets it. I'm not out there patrolling the park looking for it. Please, give me some credit here.

I have every right to, so I will.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
RS,

While I appreciate the feedback, I think it's prudent to clear up a few points where you're 100% wrong, and then address your points.

Morris Canal is NOT a dog park, it has become a de facto one because so many dog owners have decided it to be so. Per my emails with our Ward E councilwomen and the head of the Paulus Hook Neighborhood association (which I am on), it unequivocally NOT a dog park. Just because you say it loud enough, and want it bad enough, doesn't make it so. If you're so adamant about this, please post a link to the ordinances that have declared this an official dog park.

Concurrently, no one is saying dogs shouldn't be allowed. I haven't seen that posted here at all. My original post said nothing of banning dogs from the park, so I have no idea where this point came from. I'm not anti dog, I've owned many dogs for many years. I'm PRO RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER, of which there are sadly very few.

Anyway, the issue is with owners letting their dogs run around off leash (which as I clearly pointed out in my OP, IS against the law, which I provided links for), and owners not cleaning up after their dogs. I focused on Morris Canal because I live right in front of it, but there is just as much unrest at VV and Hamilton.

Regarding obnoxious parents, etc. it's outside the scope of this discussion. And, as I said before, if there's an issue that you're passionate about, start a thread about it, join the neighborhood association and voice your concerns.

Lastly, I stick by my statements. The mentality will change. It's being worked on within the various neighborhood associations and will involve outreach and education (to change this incorrect mentality that it's an official dog run - because it is NOT). Also, if an errant dog runs up to me off leash, I will control that dog until its owner comes and claims it. I have every right to. You do NOT have a right to let your dog run off leash. Period. If you want to avoid that, there is a very simple solution - *keep your dog on its leash*. It's pretty straightforward.

So please, get over the pride you have as a sanctimonious dog owner. It's not your child - it's a dog. Treat it like a dog. Be a responsible dog owner.

Quote:

rs9182 wrote:
To the original poster:

I apologize if a few negligent dog owners have soured your opinion towards dogs, but heres the thing, do you have the same opinion towards parents who don't parent? There are just as many obnoxious parents who don't control their children as there are dog owners who don't properly tend to their dogs.

That being said, Morris Cannel IS a dog park. Don't you DARE tell us that this "will" stop. Dogs need exercise and should be able to enjoy that activity. Furthermore, every time I have been there I have never seen a disobedient dog or negligent dog owner. I'm guessing you do NOT swim in the Hudson so what do you care if dogs are swimming there?

Finally, I know you claim that you didn't mean anything violent when you meant you will "control" my dog if I don't. But if I ever try to see you "control" my very well-behaved dog - or anyone else's - there *will* be an issue.

Get over your issues. Jersey City is a place where dogs are appreciated and loved. If you can't handle that, then move.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote (with my corrections):
Have you ever had that moment when a small off leash dog child darted 500 feet across a park toward your leashed dog being trained away from aggressive behaviors? Then had to grab said small dog child to prevent your dog from killing it. Then had the owner parent yell at you for grabbing the dog child quickly and probably roughly because you knew what might happen.

Yeah that happens a lot and its completely unacceptable. I cant be the only person this has happened to considering the trained responses these individuals seem to have.

Why would anyone bring a dog with aggressive behaviors to a park, leashed or otherwise?

Posted on: 2013/7/12 8:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
To my understanding it has never been the role of Police to enforce off-leash and dog poop related animal control issues - I thought it was ALWAYS a cityhall area of control via their animal management department.
It really shouldn't be a cop thing at all - It could be a time to lobby your elected councillor to request more animal control partols by them in your neighborhood / park. With the amount of money (fines / impoundment) to be made from offending dog / owners, the city could have an officer on call after hours

Posted on: 2013/7/12 5:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/23 19:39
Group:
Registered Users
To the original poster:

I apologize if a few negligent dog owners have soured your opinion towards dogs, but heres the thing, do you have the same opinion towards parents who don't parent? There are just as many obnoxious parents who don't control their children as there are dog owners who don't properly tend to their dogs.

That being said, Morris Cannel IS a dog park. Don't you DARE tell us that this "will" stop. Dogs need exercise and should be able to enjoy that activity. Furthermore, every time I have been there I have never seen a disobedient dog or negligent dog owner. I'm guessing you do NOT swim in the Hudson so what do you care if dogs are swimming there?

Finally, I know you claim that you didn't mean anything violent when you meant you will "control" my dog if I don't. But if I ever try to see you "control" my very well-behaved dog - or anyone else's - there *will* be an issue.

Get over your issues. Jersey City is a place where dogs are appreciated and loved. If you can't handle that, then move.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
Have you ever had that moment when a small off leash dog darted 500 feet across a park toward your leashed dog being trained away from aggressive behaviors? Then had to grab said small dog to prevent your dog from killing it. Then had the owner yell at you for grabbing the dog quickly and probably roughly because you knew what might happen.

Yeah that happens a lot and its completely unacceptable. I cant be the only person this has happened to considering the trained responses these individuals seem to have.

You should call the cops. Oh wait, they don't care.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 5:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
Have you ever had that moment when a small off leash dog darted 500 feet across a park toward your leashed dog being trained away from aggressive behaviors? Then had to grab said small dog to prevent your dog from killing it. Then had the owner yell at you for grabbing the dog quickly and probably roughly because you knew what might happen.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Yes! He's back folks!!

As other people noted, I will control your dog if you can't/won't. I am not choking anything.

You're not controling the dog you are contorling you're well being and own welfare.

Aaand the cast rock from hours earlier bounces back and breaks the glass house.

Remember Arnold in the opening scene of True Lies? The twin dobies leapt at his face, he just clapped his hands together and headbanged the two together.

There's good reason why humans ascended to control the earth and not dogs. I see many "foster parents" who are weaker beings than the canines that contol their lives.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
I'm really curious to the opinion of those opposed to allowing dogs off leash(not being sarcastic). There have been plenty of comments about dog owners preventing non dog owners from being able to use the park. Additionally, the previous poster just made the point that Morris Canal is the only park in the neighborhood.

I understand residents not wanting to walk all the way to VVP for recreation, and I would hope you can empathize that local dog owners don't want to walk to VPP to be able to let their dogs off leash in a dog run.

Would you all be opposed to instituting off-leash hours as an option, as NY and Brooklyn have done? Typically park open -9am and 9pm to park close.

I'm a pet lover but this is a safety issue. Also, since I'm also for individual freedom and control, I'm for off leashing dogs as long as that dog owner is comfortable with the consequences.

If your off leashed dog bites or injures a child or anyone else, the dog owner should be arrested and tried for assault and their pet should be taken away from them in addition to the victim being automatically awarded an amount from a civil court for any medical bills, lost work, and/or emotional damage relating to the injury.

No fines, arrest and jail time for #1, harming your own pet and #2 harming others.

if off leash dog owners are okay with this, I say off leash your dog as much as you want. If an individual dies from a pet owner's negligence, they should be tried for manslaughter/murder.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Yes! He's back folks!!

As other people noted, I will control your dog if you can't/won't. I am not choking anything.

Will you also be impounding improperly used wiffle-balls, cycles, skateboards, etc? Or just those laws you choose to enforce?

We're being punked, right? You cannot be serious.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yes! He's back folks!!

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
No, you're right, that was a bit strong. I'm not threatening violence.

Replace throat with collar and that's what I originally meant. I apologize for the strong image. I'm not going to slam dogs on the ground, but with bigger dogs in particular, yes, I will take control of the dog until its owner does so appropriately.

Again, I apologize for the strong language.

(insert smarmy picture/GIF/comment from vigilante now)

Hey booster, let me know how that works out for you.

Maybe we can carry this over to children? I have often wanted to bitch-slap a toddler who is not being disciplined by their "we don't say no to our child" parents. On a side-note, it's been fun watching gravey go from "I'm gonna write a long thought-out letter" to "I'm gonna choke your dog!" in just a few short days.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Will do, chief!

Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Replace throat with collar and that's what I originally meant. I apologize for the strong image. I'm not going to slam dogs on the ground, but with bigger dogs in particular, yes, I will take control of the dog until its owner does so appropriately.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/15 18:00
Group:
Registered Users
As an owner of more than one dog and a long time resident of Jersey City, I'm in agreement that although I love the fact that JC is a pet-friendly neighborhood for the most part, that with this influx of new investors and residents also brings about an increased problem of not properly curbing their dogs.
I for one, tinkered with the idea of posting a sign behind my building last year just to point out those who think that just because the street is quiet, they can get away with not picking up after their dogs EVEN though there is a sign there that states there is a fine for not curbing your dog. It makes responsible dog owners look bad and as a resident of JC, I for one, DO NOT like having to monitor the ground so that my dogs do not step on poop. It's like we have to walk through a maze and I'm already competing with the garbage that is placed outside in the mornings.
It's a simple process. Get a bag, scoop it up.
This past weekend I saw a woman walking a small dog and as I rounded the corner I saw her dog poop but the owner was not making any move to pick it up nor did she have any bags. Upon noticing that I was rounding the corner she quickly found a piece of newspaper and picked it up. Do I know for certain it was her intent to leave the poop there? No, I don't. But I would have bet $10.00 that it was.
Off leash - I see it but my dogs can get skittish so they have been and always will be on the leash. I do, however, feel that dogs should be controlled in that, just like people, proper introduction needs to be done. I do not like it when dogs just start to lunge at my dogs whether they are on the leash or not. It can cause an unfortunate situation and why not just prevent that from happening to begin with?
I spoke to my husband about this thread and this issue and we are both in agreement that these offenders should be penalized. Yes, I know that some days just don't go your way and lo and behold, the poop bag holder is empty. It's happened to all of us but that may have to be the price we pay to get our streets and sidewalks cleaner.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not sure where you read that, but that's not the case. Regardless, to help you draw proper conclusions, and to set the record straight, here is a list of the three different permutations of dog owners that piss everyone off (including responsible dog owners), and are the target of these posts:

1. Those who walk their dogs off leash
2. Those who don't clean up after their dogs (regardless of leash usage)
3. 1 + 2

I hope that clears up who we are talking about going forward. No ambiguity there.

Vigilante, side note....your posts are becoming less and less clever. I'm starting to miss it

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I like how you guys imply that every person who walks their dog off-leash also doesn't pick up the poop. Spin doctors.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I like how you guys imply that every person who walks their dog off-leash also doesn't pick up the poop. Spin doctors.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
mdips, i've been messaged privately by many people on this board who know who you are, and have described experiences with you regarding your love of flaunting local ordinances, specifically regarding bicycle riding on sidewalks in busy areas, amongst other things. You have little to no respect for others rights and the laws protecting those rights.

It's not a question of moral superiority, it's the law. And law is on my side on this. It's clearly written in my original post. There's no moral ambiguity there. Keep your dogs on leash, and pick up their droppings.

Citing instances of people skirting other laws is not an excuse to skirt these laws. If jaywalking upsets you so much, start a thread about that. If littering is your top priority, rally people and do something about that. Get involved in your neighborhood association and do something. But, don't knock others actions because they don't fit your lifestyle.

I am speaking for a silent, but vast majority. They're silent, because unlike the dog owners to whom this thread applies (note, i'm not blanketing respectful dog owners), most people aren't confrontational and are respectful of other people. Not to mention that confronting dog owners about their dogs starts a holy war wherein the person complaining is yelled at and talked down to. And you wonder why we're all pissed off?

Well, those people finally have a dog in this fight (no pun intended): ME.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
Jwave, if you don't think the comment, "I'll hold it down in the grass by the throat" doesn't sound violent you're just an ass. Even nyrgrave admitted that was a bit strong. However if you grab my dog by the collar and hold it until I retrieve it I'll apologize and thank you for getting my dog.

Also, for someone who's argued that he knows proper methods for dog training you should understand that pinning a dog to the ground is a dominant threat and more likely to cause the dog to react negatively.

I've already commented that I also agree to some degree that off leash dogs have become a nuisance and is a reason I do not bring my dogs off leash at the park anywhere near as often as I used to.

However, for all you people arguing that dog owners have a superior attitude do you just not recognize that you are claiming a moral superiority too? You feel that since we are breaking the law you are better than us? Think about that the next time you:

Jaywalk, roll through a stop sign, fail to wait 3 seconds at a red light before turning right, fail to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk, fail to wait until pedestrian has completely cleared crosswalk and is back on sidewalk before proceeding, park too close to a crosswalk, double park(try driving on washington during school pickup at sussex), etc..

Again, I am in no way trying to argue that I am right, but all of those offenses are akin to off leash laws. So if you do any of the above please recognize that you also are not superior to someone who walks their dog off leash. We just happen to be breaking a law that inconveniences you personally.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
...for all you people arguing that dog owners have a superior attitude do you just not recognize that you are claiming a moral superiority too? You feel that since we are breaking the law you are better than us?

Owning a dog as a pet is a luxury. A low tolerance for being inconvenienced by other peoples? luxuries is understandable.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Where are our artists and graffitists that can make stencils?

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Jwave, if you don't think the comment, "I'll hold it down in the grass by the throat" doesn't sound violent you're just an ass. Even nyrgrave admitted that was a bit strong. However if you grab my dog by the collar and hold it until I retrieve it I'll apologize and thank you for getting my dog.

Also, for someone who's argued that he knows proper methods for dog training you should understand that pinning a dog to the ground is a dominant threat and more likely to cause the dog to react negatively.

I've already commented that I also agree to some degree that off leash dogs have become a nuisance and is a reason I do not bring my dogs off leash at the park anywhere near as often as I used to.

However, for all you people arguing that dog owners have a superior attitude do you just not recognize that you are claiming a moral superiority too? You feel that since we are breaking the law you are better than us? Think about that the next time you:

Jaywalk, roll through a stop sign, fail to wait 3 seconds at a red light before turning right, fail to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk, fail to wait until pedestrian has completely cleared crosswalk and is back on sidewalk before proceeding, park too close to a crosswalk, double park(try driving on washington during school pickup at sussex), etc..

Again, I am in no way trying to argue that I am right, but all of those offenses are akin to off leash laws. So if you do any of the above please recognize that you also are not superior to someone who walks their dog off leash. We just happen to be breaking a law that inconveniences you personally.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I'm still amused that you think there is going to be any kind of enforcement. Until your precious babies start swimming in the canal then it's a de facto dog park. EVERY dog owner knows that.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I appreciate the comment Jwave, I'm glad people actually understand what I am saying (still waiting for uber-creative GIF/response/hipsterism from Vigilante - I'm a little upset I have to wait this long!).

Overall, holding a dog by it's collar is the only way to ensure I don't get bit securing YOUR dog. Which is something dog owners are supposed to do to begin with! But in the bigger picture, these dog owners are looking for an excuse to say "see they're persecuting us" so I'll tone it down.

Quote:

jwave wrote:
I don't see anyone talking about violence. A reference was made to securing an off the leash dog until the owner (who by law should not have a dog off the leash) secures it him or herself.

If you don't like the idea of a stranger putting hands on your dog, obey the law. That's why it is there: to avoid unwanted physical contact between dogs and other people/dogs. This isn't rocket science.

You cannot flout the law and then expect people to behave in manner that accords with your own personal preferences. That doesn't mean somebody has license to harm an off the leash dog. It just means that if you don't restrain your dog in public you accept the risk that others will.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see anyone talking about violence. A reference was made to securing an off the leash dog until the owner (who by law should not have a dog off the leash) secures it him or herself.

If you don't like the idea of a stranger putting hands on your dog, obey the law. That's why it is there: to avoid unwanted physical contact between dogs and other people/dogs. This isn't rocket science.

You cannot flout the law and then expect people to behave in manner that accords with your own personal preferences. That doesn't mean somebody has license to harm an off the leash dog. It just means that if you don't restrain your dog in public you accept the risk that others will.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ha! Yeah, there's always this to consider. If you thought wet dogs smelled bad, can you imagine what wet Hudson River dogs smell like?

Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
People let their dogs swim in the canal? Barf... enjoy your hepatitis/listeria/gonorrhea/aquacancer.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/7/11 12:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But wouldn't you agree that off leash hours would actually be easier to enforce than the general off leash laws that you're pushing to be enforced?

And you might want to tone down the threats of violence to animals, it's tough to maintain an argument based on moral superiority. If someone crashes into my car and I get out and start beating them they will get a moving violation but I'll be charged with assault.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I can also only speak for myself on this. I think off leash hours would be a feasible option, assuming it can be enforced, and people obey it.

However, the next time I'm out on that canal and an off leash dog runs up to me, I'll hold it down in the grass by the throat until it's owner comes to claim it.

This might become a problem...

Posted on: 2013/7/11 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
People let their dogs swim in the canal? Barf... enjoy your hepatitis/listeria/gonorrhea/aquacancer.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 1:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My only concerns about a dog run are that they are generally made too small and also don't accommodate for playing in the water, which is one of the big draws for people to bring their dogs to the park.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 1:47

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017