Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 16 »

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/12 23:40
Group:
Registered Users
In response to below:
I can't speak for all non-dog owners, but I would be in favor of section of the park set aside for a dog run and would be OK with limited off-leash hours being an option as well. Especially if it meant that during daytime, the leash laws were followed.

Also there are plenty of off leash dogs in the surrounding neighborhood, especially in areas by the Marina, Liberty Harbor Ferry and Washington St., which is actually more inconsiderate.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 1:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
I'm really curious to the opinion of those opposed to allowing dogs off leash(not being sarcastic). There have been plenty of comments about dog owners preventing non dog owners from being able to use the park. Additionally, the previous poster just made the point that Morris Canal is the only park in the neighborhood.

I understand residents not wanting to walk all the way to VVP for recreation, and I would hope you can empathize that local dog owners don't want to walk to VPP to be able to let their dogs off leash in a dog run.

Would you all be opposed to instituting off-leash hours as an option, as NY and Brooklyn have done? Typically park open -9am and 9pm to park close.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 0:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/12 23:40
Group:
Registered Users

Agreed- for those of us fed up with the off-leash dogs, contact the JC Mayor's Action Bureau.  http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/ or call 201-547-4900 for quality of life items such as this.  The more people concerned with this issue, the likelier some action will be taken.  I have contacted them and they have been open to my concerns

After the irresponsible dog owner let his off leash dog run well of him and jump on my pregnant wife (while not taking responsibility, leashing his dog or even apologizing), combined with other incidents, this is a quality of life issue that's important to me and I stand with others on this forum.  Over the past week, I've asked several dog owners to leash their dogs and they have refused (these were not even in the Morris Canal Park, but on nearby streets and walkways).

One conversation, "Can you please leash your dog, recently an off leash dog jumped on my pregnant wife"  Dog owner: "Wasn't my dog".

Why should the only park in this neighborhood be taken over by off-leash dogs, limiting enjoyment for others?  That's not being a good neighbor.

Keep on being squeaky wheels.  Maybe nothing will change.  But it doesn't hurt to try.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote: No, I'm not with the Fulop administration, but working with the Ward Councilmen and neighborhood associations to effect change. The councils are pushing for passive and less confrontational changes such as signage, etc. But one of the purposes of my post was to call people to action. Call the non emergency police line and animal control when you see people doing this. Flood the channels with complaints and they'll have to address it. I believe I am with the majority on this, even if the majority it silent. It's a rallying cry baby! Quote:
Yojimbo wrote: Signage and outreach are nice, but nothing will change these people's behaviors unless the enforcement comes along with it. I've seen you "guarantee" that it will, but let's be honest, that's hollow unless you're actually in the Fulop administration. I have no reason to doubt you've been TOLD there will be more enforcement (or any at all, really). But new administrations are really good at making promises to everybody who comes to them with problems. But follwing through? We'll see. Quote:
nyrgravey9 wrote: It was an allusion to the upcoming argument/debate/negative posts. At the end of the day, you're probably right because the dog owners in this town have such a feeling of superiority and entitlement, little will probably change. However, this cause has never been led by someone as annoyingly persistent as myself. I will say that at the neighborhood level, things are happening behind the scenes, and you will see changes in time from the standpoint of signage, outreach and enforcement. That, I can guarantee. But you're right. People will still do what they do, but it can't hurt to try right?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PattyMayo wrote:
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:
I saw the most horrible thing yesterday afternoon at the corner of Grove and Columbus: A dog zoomed past me heading north on Grove, leash dangling from its neck and the owner in hot pursuit. The dog darted into the intersection and was hit by an east bound truck. I will never forget that awful sound of truck hitting dog and the screams of the owner. The dog eventually got up and continued to run west down Columbus with the owner still chasing. I doubt that it survived but you never know.

Even the most responsible dog owners can have bad luck. Why cheat fate and allow your dog to be purposely off leash? Setting aside the legal ramifications; it just isn't a very bright idea.

K9dergarten just posted about the dog and owner:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se ... 55.166167960121517&type=3

Stacy Kiebler and her foster dad Joe were in a hit and run on Grove St in JC Tuesday 7/9 around 2:30pm. We need YOUR HELP to find the driver AND we need you to donate towards her upcoming surgeries. Joe was standing in front of city hall, crossing the street at the cross walk. A car turned onto Grove and hit Joe knocking him to the ground ! He dropped Stacy's leash who ran towards Columbus super scared. Joe got up and ran after her. He saw her pinned under a truck on Columbus and told the driver to move his truck. When Stacy was freed, she ran away into Dixon Mills where people helped to catch her, call the paramedics and the police.

JOE her foster dad is in a lot of pain and will be for several days. He did not have any broken bones. He is mostly concerned for Stacy and we hope both Joe and Stacy get better ASAP !

DID YOU SEE THE CAR WHO HIT JOE ? DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES ? PLEASE HELP US STOP ALL THE SPEEDING IN JC ! IF YOU SAW SOMETHING PLS GO TO THE POLICE !

PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO STACY'S UPCOMING SURGERY, ESTIMATES RANGE FROM $10-15K. CLICK ON http://tinyurl.com/SSRDonate AND CHECK OFF I'm sending money to family or friends so that we can get the WHOLE AMOUNT. THANK YOU !

That's terrible and supremely ironic. Like I said to these dopes Jersey City needs to enforce TRAFFIC laws. I am glad both dog and foster Dad are okay.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 20:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/11 18:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:
I saw the most horrible thing yesterday afternoon at the corner of Grove and Columbus: A dog zoomed past me heading north on Grove, leash dangling from its neck and the owner in hot pursuit. The dog darted into the intersection and was hit by an east bound truck. I will never forget that awful sound of truck hitting dog and the screams of the owner. The dog eventually got up and continued to run west down Columbus with the owner still chasing. I doubt that it survived but you never know.

Even the most responsible dog owners can have bad luck. Why cheat fate and allow your dog to be purposely off leash? Setting aside the legal ramifications; it just isn't a very bright idea.

K9dergarten just posted about the dog and owner:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se ... 55.166167960121517&type=3

Stacy Kiebler and her foster dad Joe were in a hit and run on Grove St in JC Tuesday 7/9 around 2:30pm. We need YOUR HELP to find the driver AND we need you to donate towards her upcoming surgeries. Joe was standing in front of city hall, crossing the street at the cross walk. A car turned onto Grove and hit Joe knocking him to the ground ! He dropped Stacy's leash who ran towards Columbus super scared. Joe got up and ran after her. He saw her pinned under a truck on Columbus and told the driver to move his truck. When Stacy was freed, she ran away into Dixon Mills where people helped to catch her, call the paramedics and the police.

JOE her foster dad is in a lot of pain and will be for several days. He did not have any broken bones. He is mostly concerned for Stacy and we hope both Joe and Stacy get better ASAP !

DID YOU SEE THE CAR WHO HIT JOE ? DO YOU HAVE ANY PICTURES ? PLEASE HELP US STOP ALL THE SPEEDING IN JC ! IF YOU SAW SOMETHING PLS GO TO THE POLICE !

PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING TO STACY'S UPCOMING SURGERY, ESTIMATES RANGE FROM $10-15K. CLICK ON http://tinyurl.com/SSRDonate AND CHECK OFF I'm sending money to family or friends so that we can get the WHOLE AMOUNT. THANK YOU !

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Apologies again folks, for people like Vigilante who, as I stated before, offer nothing to the discourse but useless comments and overall asinine remarks.

When you live in a crime-ridden crack hole like Vigilante, smaller matters such as this typically take a back seat (which is understandable). But for the rest of us who live in civilization, and can focus on more than one topic at the same time, we can soldier on.

Overall though, keep the good stuff coming from both sides of the discussion.

I'm sure Adam Graves would support your crusade.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Apologies again folks, for people like Vigilante who, as I stated before, offer nothing to the discourse but useless comments and overall asinine remarks.

When you live in a crime-ridden crack hole like Vigilante, smaller matters such as this typically take a back seat (which is understandable). But for the rest of us who live in civilization, and can focus on more than one topic at the same time, we can soldier on.

Overall though, keep the good stuff coming from both sides of the discussion.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
A suggestion to -- potentially -- solve the problem:

Perhaps, we should start photographing unleashed dogs and their owners and posting those pictures here on the JCList.

Thoughts?

While I wouldn't endorse that, I will say it's a pretty smart idea lol.

I'll start:

Resized Image

Hamilton Park, this morning.

Sorry, anyone trying to sell this as a pressing public issue is doing so out of an overwrought sense of principle. If this really bothers you then perhaps you do need to move somewhere far away from "other people". The city needs to enforce traffic laws and not focus on some nitwit's pet-peeve. Is someone going to present this photo at the next Captain's meeting?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Great point Angel. The answer to that is simple. I'm willing to wager that 9 out of 10 dog owners, when asked your question, will say some version of "not my dog, he/she is good. My dog wouldn't do that".

It's astounding how many dog owners exhibit little to no control over their pets, yet don't understand why I'd think this. This is most evident when watching how they walk their dogs on leash.

I've said it before...when you see someone walking a dog, and the dog is walking out ahead of them, the owner has already failed. The dog is walking them! That's not my assessment, that's the assessment of practically every dog trainer in existence. The problem is never the dog, the problem is with the humans, the owners.

Don't misunderstand me; there are responsible dog owners out there and I'm painting a broad picture. But they're few and far between. Just because you're free to buy a dog, doesn't mean you'll be good at it. It takes years of proper training and commitment, all of which few dog owners will actually commit to.

But you raise a great point with your post and I thank you for taking the time to write it.

Quote:

AngelSauce wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/10 17:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 0:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/10 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed 100%

I live close to this woman who owns 5-6 of these little white dogs, and i'm pretty sure a couple of them are demented. One in particular just goes berserk and keeps barking and jumping up and down every time it sees me wakling out on my porch or doing something in the backyard.

seriously this one does not stop, I've timed him once, about 35 minutes and I was the one who gave up and went inside. we've have fights about her dogs, neighbors have pleaded, complained to keep the dogs inside the house as they make such a racket in the middle of the night or at the crack of dawn when she lets them out.

now - i'm sure there is some sort of law against letting your dog bark incessantly at all hours of the day, but so far people in the neighborhood, in the last say 7-8 years, maybe more, has not called the Police, or Animal Control on her. I myself don't want to see her dogs taken away

but one day, someone is going to be fed up enough and we'll need to make that call - it could be me

Quote:

jwave wrote:
My sense is that nyrgravey9 speaks for the silent (or seldom heard for) majority of community members, including lots community-minded dog owners. Cajoling folks to behave better toward their neighbors is laudible, and respecting boundaries when using common areas is at the heart of being a solid citizen. Everyone on this board who agrees should post support for the OP (referendum-style). This will let the "entitled" minority understand that their actions are breeding serious ill-will and may embolden all other to confront this behavior when they see it (in a courteous way, of course). The idea that we should tolerate this because it has gone on for a long time or that there are other problems in community (which is obviously true) should be put to rest.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
No, I'm not with the Fulop administration, but working with the Ward Councilmen and neighborhood associations to effect change. The councils are pushing for passive and less confrontational changes such as signage, etc.

But one of the purposes of my post was to call people to action. Call the non emergency police line and animal control when you see people doing this. Flood the channels with complaints and they'll have to address it.

I believe I am with the majority on this, even if the majority it silent. It's a rallying cry baby!

Quote:

Yojimbo wrote:
Signage and outreach are nice, but nothing will change these people's behaviors unless the enforcement comes along with it. I've seen you "guarantee" that it will, but let's be honest, that's hollow unless you're actually in the Fulop administration. I have no reason to doubt you've been TOLD there will be more enforcement (or any at all, really). But new administrations are really good at making promises to everybody who comes to them with problems.

But follwing through? We'll see.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
It was an allusion to the upcoming argument/debate/negative posts.

At the end of the day, you're probably right because the dog owners in this town have such a feeling of superiority and entitlement, little will probably change. However, this cause has never been led by someone as annoyingly persistent as myself.

I will say that at the neighborhood level, things are happening behind the scenes, and you will see changes in time from the standpoint of signage, outreach and enforcement. That, I can guarantee.

But you're right. People will still do what they do, but it can't hurt to try right?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
jwave,

You hit the nail right on the head. Thank you!

Quote:

jwave wrote:
My sense is that nyrgravey9 speaks for the silent (or seldom heard for) majority of community members, including lots community-minded dog owners. Cajoling folks to behave better toward their neighbors is laudible, and respecting boundaries when using common areas is at the heart of being a solid citizen. Everyone on this board who agrees should post support for the OP (referendum-style). This will let the "entitled" minority understand that their actions are breeding serious ill-will and may embolden all other to confront this behavior when they see it (in a courteous way, of course). The idea that we should tolerate this because it has gone on for a long time or that there are other problems in community (which is obviously true) should be put to rest.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/15 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
Signage and outreach are nice, but nothing will change these people's behaviors unless the enforcement comes along with it. I've seen you "guarantee" that it will, but let's be honest, that's hollow unless you're actually in the Fulop administration. I have no reason to doubt you've been TOLD there will be more enforcement (or any at all, really). But new administrations are really good at making promises to everybody who comes to them with problems.

But follwing through? We'll see.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

At the end of the day, you're probably right because the dog owners in this town have such a feeling of superiority and entitlement, little will probably change. However, this cause has never been led by someone as annoyingly persistent as myself.

I will say that at the neighborhood level, things are happening behind the scenes, and you will see changes in time from the standpoint of signage, outreach and enforcement. That, I can guarantee.

But you're right. People will still do what they do, but it can't hurt to try right?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

PBW wrote:
OP, why was I supposed to brace myself? Do you think you're actually going to accomplish something or was I supposed to brace myself for the same old arguments?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
OP, why was I supposed to brace myself? Do you think you're actually going to accomplish something or was I supposed to brace myself for the same old arguments?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
That was almost as unreadable as it was pointless.

I was born and raised in JC. What's your point?

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Catseye said it best in another thread.

Catseye wrote:
This is Jersey city although I was born and raised
Here it is a rough place all you yuppies that
Come from all over need to realize this.
And things happen hello you have the projects
Not to far away did anyone ever think that
The garage was open because someone was
Maybe parking there car there. I am not
Saying that this was right but this type of
Stuff happens all the time in this city
Everyone always has to open the mouth
And pass judgement how do you they were
Coming from a bar. You don't so keep it
To yourself maybe you should go live
On a farm.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Catseye said it best in another thread.

Catseye wrote:
This is Jersey city although I was born and raised
Here it is a rough place all you yuppies that
Come from all over need to realize this.
And things happen hello you have the projects
Not to far away did anyone ever think that
The garage was open because someone was
Maybe parking there car there. I am not
Saying that this was right but this type of
Stuff happens all the time in this city
Everyone always has to open the mouth
And pass judgement how do you they were
Coming from a bar. You don't so keep it
To yourself maybe you should go live
On a farm.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/1 9:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I had to skim over all the posts in between. I am a dog owner in DTJC and I agree with your concerns. I think if you make the commitment to have a dog, you should respect the laws and respect others in the community.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:
I am not digging through the slop in this thread but here are my thoughts:

If you're on the street/sidewalks keep your dog on a leash.

If you're in a park and your dog is well trained, let it run around and be a dog for a bit. go jump in the canal by the colgate clock. play catch at lincoln park. have at it.

Clean up your dog's shit, and throw it in a trashcan.

that is all.

And leave the dog outside when going into a food establishment. Also try to keep the dog at bay when I am in close proximity to it.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 15:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Area_Man wrote:

If you're in a park and your dog is well trained, let it run around and be a dog for a bit. go jump in the canal by the colgate clock. play catch at lincoln park. have at it.

that is all.

Exactly.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 15:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users

that is all.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Not yet, nope. Soon enough my friend, soon enough.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
He's nothing if not entertaining folks. Gotta love the hipsters in this town.

I thought of you the other day when I saw an officer on foot in Hamilton Park walk right past an off leash dog. I guess "Operation Round-Up" didn't happen?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Not yet, nope. Soon enough my friend, soon enough.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

I thought of you the other day when I saw an officer on foot in Hamilton Park walk right past an off leash dog. I guess "Operation Round-Up" didn't happen?

Posted on: 2013/7/8 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/8 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/7/8 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe try this? It calms you but doesn't disturb the neighbors. It will help you tremendously when you realize that the cops aren't going to do anything about dogs.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The principle behind this kind of plan is to implement community policing to deal will ALL safety issues in the community in a fair and balanced way. Dog-related issues form part, but only part of that plan.

I expect to see great improvements from the new admin as a result of this. If Steve and Candice turn around at the end of their terms and point to having solved the dog poop issue in Morris Canal Park as their crowning achievement on safety, I know where my next vote won't be going.

Thankfully, I know both Steve and Candice have a more balanced approach to policing than that. Feel free to lobby your pet issue though. It deserves attention, but not the kind of unbalanced attention you appear to seek.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
The plan is excellent, specifically the part of police involvement in community meetings. The JCPD will be involved in neighborhood meetings at some point in the future, during which a discussion on proper fines, etc, will be addressed. While not a SWAT team, I think this will suffice. Thank you for pointing this out.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
http://stevenfulop.com/sites/default/ ... op_public_safety_plan.pdf

Seems like a good plan to me. No mention of any kind of dog poop S.W.A.T. team though.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Scottacus wrote:
The level of arrogance and selfishness of some of the people on this thread is notable but not surprising.

As a dog owner myself, I am amazed at how some people truly can think of no one but themselves. I personally love dogs. But many people don't. In fact there is a sizable portion of the population that is uncomfortable or even scared around dogs.

Letting a dog off leash in public (outside of a dog park) shows you are completely indifferent to people who may not be comfortable around dogs. You can use whatever excuse you want -- it's early, there aren't any other dogs in the park, etc -- but the fact is you are using a shared, community resource in a way that limits how much other people can enjoy it. It's really not all that different than playing a boombox that's too loud.

If you choose to have a dog, it is your responsibility to keep it on a leash outdoors whenever you are not at a dog park. Period. If you can't manage that you shouldn't have a dog.

Not to mention that as sweet and predictable as you think your dog may be, you never know how two dogs will react. My mother brought her 15 year old terrier to the park a few months ago, and as soon as she stepped onto the grass two off-leash dogs -- small Lhaso Apsos who "had never done anything like this before" -- viciously attacked her dog. The fact that they didn't have a history of violence didn't mean much when her dog was nearly killed and required $5000 worth of surgery. Which by the way the owner of the off leash dogs is 100% on the hook for.

So you can rationalize it all you want. But leash laws exist for a reason. And when you decide not to follow them, you are putting your lack of consideration for everyone else on public display.

this. x1000.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:21

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017