Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JCIA - How to dispose of construction debris?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Crystal! I will send you an email directly.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 18:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/8 16:31
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, My name is Crystal C. Fonseca, Administrative Assistant to CEO and I will be more than glad to guide you and assist you with your collection concern. Normal procedure for construction debris removal will require the resident to rent a dumpster (JCIA also rents dumpsters link: http://jciaonline.org/docs/container-application-ver09.pdf) but if you are doing minor repairs and have little material the JCIA will make arrangements to collect. Our direct contact information is listed below for any further questions or concerns: JCIA 501 Route 440 Jersey City, New Jersey 07305 ccf@jciaonline.org 201-432-4645 ext. 625 If you would like please forward me an email with your name, phone number and address and we will have an Inspector check the amount of materials you need to dispose of and we will make arrangements for collection once inspected. Oren K. Dabney, Sr., CPWM/CRP Chief Executive Officer Crystal C. Fonseca Administrative Assistant to CEO

Posted on: 2013/7/8 16:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I appreciate the ideas! And I also appreciate knowing that I'm not totally nuts; there did used to be a dump site on 440, right? I swear that in the past I was able to dump at JCIA on Rte 440 - but it must have been a more distant past than I remember. I've lived here a long time. . .

I don't have enough garbage right now to warrant renting a dumpster, but I will probably try one of the local trash pickup companies for this load. And I anticipate some bigger home improvement projects in the future, so this is all helpful info.

PS I agree that 1-800-Got Junk is very expensive. But they can be pretty great when you have a whole house to clean out and no time/patience to pack everything up - they really go to town, all you need to do is sit back and watch.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
How about getting a "Bagster" from Home Depot? You need off-street space for the truck to pick it up, but I don't think you need to deal with any permit or parking sign hassles.

I'd like to recommend 1-800 Got Junk, since they are convenient, but IMHO they are hideously expensive.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If you have any off street space another option is getting the small dumpsters, like 1 or 1/2 cubic yard, for $100/yard. the 1/2 yd can fit in a 3' alley. I've done this on occasion. I'm so glad I did my major demo 16 years ago when you could just bring it to the dump on 440.

It's a conundrum for DIY work, they often won't take away anything that looks like construction debris, or hit you up for a bribe (it does work). I often end up with partially used bags of cement, mortar, or grout from kitchen or bath work, and these products go bad fast, they won't keep for the next project and some only come in 50 or 80 lbs. But they won't take them. I would have to ladle a few pounds at a time into the household garbage.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Astonishingly, it is illegal in Hudson county to dump your own waste, there is no way for you to legally take your debris somewhere and pay to dispose of it, as can be done in most other counties and states.

Instead you must pay a licensed garbage disposal company to take it away for you, either by renting a dumpster, or by paying one of the various rubbish collection firms to come and take it away.

Dumpsters can be hired in various sizes from various companies including JCIA:
http://www.jciaonline.org/rentals.php
Before getting a dumpster you need to:
1. Get a dumpster permit from JCIA (a different part in a different building than where you rent the dumpster).
2. Get no parking signs from the Parking Authority on Central Avenue to reserve space on the street for your dumpster.

Because of the hassle of doing (1) and (2), it can be easier to call one of the licensed haulers who will come and take it away the same day. One such is Ann's Rubbish disposal:
http://www.njanns4junk.com/
There are lots of others if you search for "trash disposal jersey city".

If you only have 4 bins, just put it out a little at a time each week with your garbage, they will take it as long as you don't overdo it, put a little each collection with your regular trash, nothing too heavy at once.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 1:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, JCIA phone message says to call Waste Management, and Waste Management says to call JCIA. Waste of time (pun intended). Thanks anyway - if anyone else knows anything different, please chime in.

Like I said, I'm happy to take it somewhere to dump, just don't know where to go, and JCIA doesn't have their own dump site.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
You probably already saw the JCIA site, but if not here it is:

http://www.jciaonline.org/wastes.php

Says to call up to arrange pickup of bulk items, but if people can't get through what good is the number.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 20:58

JCIA - How to dispose of construction debris?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know how to get rid of construction debris (about 4 canvas bins full of old rotten wood, some with nail/screws in it)? I've tried calling both JCIA and Waste Management to find out if they can pick it up or if there is someplace I can take it to dump it, but both automated phone systems just bounce back to one another. It's too much to put out with my regular garbage - I got a ticket a month ago for accidentally including a cardboard box with my regular non-recyclable garbage, so I don't want to risk that again!

I know you can put out up to 4 bulk items, but I don't think this constitutes bulk items since it's just a bunch of splintery old wood.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 20:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017