Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 »

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Because we can only care about one thing. Ever.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
How many people in JC have died in the last week or two from dog poop versus cycling the wrong way down the street?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
DTJCview, I understand your point. However, when one of those problems begins to get out of hand, residents like myself decide it's time to put some balance into the equation and ask for more enforcement. If littering for out of control, I'd probably be ranting and calling for more litter enforcement.

You're deflecting responsibility and distracting from the issue I've pointed out in my original post. Your points about other violations are outside the scope of this discussion.

How about this...the next time you're pulled over by a police office, for speeding, or a right turn violation, whatever...I want you to explain to the officer "hey, there are kids playing soccer in areas of the park not designated for soccer playing."

Once that happens, login here and report back what that officer says, I'd love to hear it.

Subsequently, I don't remember the last time a kid playing soccer took a shit on the grass for other kids to step in. I also don't recall reading about any soccer playing kids biting other people in the park. Maybe it has happened somewhere, but it's definitely not a widespread problem. If it was a big problem, I'd write about that instead.

I CAN, however, point to article after article of dogs off leash biting people, or someone getting sick from errant feces.

Lastly, if the issue of kids playing soccer in parks bothers you so much, so ahead and start a post about it. I welcome local involvement on all issues. Let's see how many people will back you up on that fight.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

yorkist wrote:
You missed the "except as in designated for the purpose." There are areas in the park "designated for the purpose." Regardless, they didn't want to sit on the grass either.

Nope I was pretty clear. "Soccer playing outside designated areas is also breaking the law according to JC Ordinances:"

Regardless of whether that particular ordinance is obeyed and/or enforced, it doesn't give anybody the right to let their dogs run off leash (and no, I don't violate this ordinance either, haven't played soccer since I was a kid).

I'm actually making a case for enforcing all the ordinances. The problem with selective enforcement, targeting a specific group, is that it alienates that group. It also doesn't help build stronger relationships between police and the community. Our police should be writing tickets for dog poop, unleashed dogs, cyclists on sidewalks, littering, ball playing in picnic areas, and all instances where City ordinances are being broken.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 7:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

duh wrote:
The revulsion I feel toward so many of the opinions on this thread, should be second only to how sick you make yourselves. I don't understand the slavish adherence to 'the law.' So many of you people are looking to shame, tattle, rat out, your own neighbors - to be fined and punished for something like a leash law. Yes, people should leash their dogs, and pick up the poop, or else the rest of us are inconvenienced. Fine, whatever. Barring some terrible event (like a dog attacking another dog or person, or getting loose and getting hit by a car), which happens fewer and father between that any other repercussion, you are talking about wanting people to watch each other, and tell on each other. Personally, I'd much rather step in, over, and around a pile of dog shit, than have a bunch of uptight, psych-issue laden, immature, first-world problem promulgators getting righteous over essentially nothing when there are some serious causes that could use your energy and attention.

Please provide your address so that I can place this sign at your property and direct dog owners and dogs to your front yard and sidewalk - Your empathy to this situation is applauded by the rest of the community.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/3 6:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
He's coming for you dog owners! He's serious!!

Posted on: 2013/7/3 4:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/2 4:31
Group:
Registered Users
The revulsion I feel toward so many of the opinions on this thread, should be second only to how sick you make yourselves. I don't understand the slavish adherence to 'the law.' So many of you people are looking to shame, tattle, rat out, your own neighbors - to be fined and punished for something like a leash law. Yes, people should leash their dogs, and pick up the poop, or else the rest of us are inconvenienced. Fine, whatever. Barring some terrible event (like a dog attacking another dog or person, or getting loose and getting hit by a car), which happens fewer and father between that any other repercussion, you are talking about wanting people to watch each other, and tell on each other. Personally, I'd much rather step in, over, and around a pile of dog shit, than have a bunch of uptight, psych-issue laden, immature, first-world problem promulgators getting righteous over essentially nothing when there are some serious causes that could use your energy and attention.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
How many people in JC have died in the last week or two from dog poop versus cycling the wrong way down the street?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
DTJCview, I understand your point. However, when one of those problems begins to get out of hand, residents like myself decide it's time to put some balance into the equation and ask for more enforcement. If littering for out of control, I'd probably be ranting and calling for more litter enforcement.

You're deflecting responsibility and distracting from the issue I've pointed out in my original post. Your points about other violations are outside the scope of this discussion.

How about this...the next time you're pulled over by a police office, for speeding, or a right turn violation, whatever...I want you to explain to the officer "hey, there are kids playing soccer in areas of the park not designated for soccer playing."

Once that happens, login here and report back what that officer says, I'd love to hear it.

Subsequently, I don't remember the last time a kid playing soccer took a shit on the grass for other kids to step in. I also don't recall reading about any soccer playing kids biting other people in the park. Maybe it has happened somewhere, but it's definitely not a widespread problem. If it was a big problem, I'd write about that instead.

I CAN, however, point to article after article of dogs off leash biting people, or someone getting sick from errant feces.

Lastly, if the issue of kids playing soccer in parks bothers you so much, so ahead and start a post about it. I welcome local involvement on all issues. Let's see how many people will back you up on that fight.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

yorkist wrote:
You missed the "except as in designated for the purpose." There are areas in the park "designated for the purpose." Regardless, they didn't want to sit on the grass either.

Nope I was pretty clear. "Soccer playing outside designated areas is also breaking the law according to JC Ordinances:"

Regardless of whether that particular ordinance is obeyed and/or enforced, it doesn't give anybody the right to let their dogs run off leash (and no, I don't violate this ordinance either, haven't played soccer since I was a kid).

I'm actually making a case for enforcing all the ordinances. The problem with selective enforcement, targeting a specific group, is that it alienates that group. It also doesn't help build stronger relationships between police and the community. Our police should be writing tickets for dog poop, unleashed dogs, cyclists on sidewalks, littering, ball playing in picnic areas, and all instances where City ordinances are being broken.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Actually, if you go to any of the parks, Morris Canal especially, on any given day, it's closer to 50% or more, but nice try.

Secondly, no one's requesting the entire JCPD drop major crime investigation to stop the dreaded dog poop problem.

It takes one cop, with a ticket book and a pen, for MAYBE an hour total to hit the three major parks in DTJC. Problem solved. I seriously doubt one diverted cop, who is already patrolling DTJC, will miss out on the big drug ring bust they're so fond of doing.

Rather than being a pretentious DB, you can actually contribute something constructive to the discussion.

I should have known with your hipsterific avatar that we were dealing with a superior intelligence here.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe 3% of dog owners walk their pups off leash. Probably about 3% don't pick up the poop. I would say 50% of the drivers in DTJC break the law, speed, roll through Stop signs etc. The ticket for off-leash dog is $56.00. You really think the cops are going to throw out some big dragnet to catch dog walkers? Good Luck Joe Friday.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO some quality of life issues might be solved by neighborhood groups. If your neighborhood association is not doing enough or is not addressing your concerns, well then form a new one.

In the words of Alfred E. Neuman (I think):

"Ask not what your neighborhood association can do for you; ask what you can do for your neighborhood association."

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:34
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Maybe 3% of dog owners walk their pups off leash. Probably about 3% don't pick up the poop. I would say 50% of the drivers in DTJC break the law, speed, roll through Stop signs etc. The ticket for off-leash dog is $56.00. You really think the cops are going to throw out some big dragnet to catch dog walkers? Good Luck Joe Friday.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 3:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/12 23:40
Group:
Registered Users
The City of JC under Fulop has a new feature on their website that is under the Mayor's Action Bureau (MAB) I contacted them about my dog off-leash incident I got a pretty quick reply.

It's on the main page of this:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

Obviously, the city has certain higher priorities and this is a difficult ordinance to enforce and catch, but the initative appears to cover non-urgent quality of life issues such as this. If enough people have the same concern, perhaps the city will be encouraged to do something about it.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Yes, I posted contact information for JC Animal control:

JC Animal Control: 201-547-4888 (http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1434)

Joseph Frank is the person in charge and is very nice indeed.

For those who don't know me well, you'll soon find out just how persistent I am. Change takes time, but change will happen.

Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I Heart JC, you're my idol LOL. Needs face shots hahah!

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I'll start:

Resized Image

Hamilton Park, this morning.

I have lived in DTJC for 25 years and this is the worst thing I have ever seen. Oh wait, I saw a guy with his brains blown out on 8th and McWilliams about 20 years ago. That was worse.

We are definitely facing a first world problem ... But, still naming and shaming is a way to go ...

BTW, I recall last summer the animal control officer came to one of the HPNA meetings to talk about the off-leash dog (owner - attitude - problem) ... He seemed to be a nice guy and pretty professional about "collaring" the entitled dog owners that let Fido run around unleashed ...

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

yorkist wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I remember when they tried to blame dogs for the SE lawn getting chewed up after Hamilton Park reopened.

Resized Image

I'm for calling cops on this one too. Is this against the law? If it isn't, it should be. Annoying as hell.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I'll start:

Resized Image

I have lived in DTJC for 25 years and this is the worst thing I have ever seen. Oh wait, I saw a guy with his brains blown out on 8th and McWilliams about 20 years ago. That was worse.

We are definitely facing a first world problem ... But, still naming and shaming is a way to go ...

BTW, I recall last summer the animal control officer came to one of the HPNA meetings to talk about the off-leash dog (owner - attitude - problem) ... He seemed to be a nice guy and pretty professional about "collaring" the entitled dog owners that let Fido run around unleashed ...

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

yorkist wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/3 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

yorkist wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I remember when they tried to blame dogs for the SE lawn getting chewed up after Hamilton Park reopened.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkist wrote:
I was pretty clear. There are areas designated for the purpose.

Cool. Wouldn't want your kids to grow up, disrespecting the law, and owning dogs that poop in parks :)

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/31 3:27
Group:
Registered Users
I was pretty clear. There are areas designated for the purpose.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkist wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I'll start:

Resized Image

[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkist wrote:
Agree completely. My kids have come home countless times from Van Vorst Park complaining that they can't play soccer or anything else in the park because the grassy areas are completely overrun with dog feces. It's disgusting. And yes, we own a dog.

Soccer playing outside designated areas is also breaking the law according to JC Ordinances:

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16093

Quote:

? 239-12. Picnic areas; camping; horseback riding.

No person in a park shall:
F.
Take part in or abet the playing of any games involving thrown or otherwise propelled objects such as balls, stones, arrows, javelins or model airplanes except in areas set apart for such forms of recreation. The playing of rough or comparatively dangerous games such as football, baseball and quoits is prohibited except on the fields and courts or areas provided therefor. Roller-skating shall be confined to those areas specifically designated for such pastime.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I think some of these owners have guilt... They live in the city with a dog who really needs more space. I see some of these dogs, and I feel like unless you have a yard, they can't be happy. Perhaps these inconsiderate owners need to do us and their pets a favor and move to the 'burbs.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree completely. My kids have come home countless times from Van Vorst Park complaining that they can't play soccer or anything else in the park because the grassy areas are completely overrun with dog feces. It's disgusting. And yes, we own a dog.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 0:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/12 23:40
Group:
Registered Users
Nyrgravey9 - you posted this about a couple of hours after my wife and I had a run-in with an off-leash dog by the Pier House in Paulus Hook. (this got me to sign up for a JClist account). Maybe you had a run-in with the same guy or witnessed our encounter?

This dog was running about 20-30 yards ahead of the owner and was bothering us (maybe looking to play, maybe confused and I'm sure there's a 99% chance he was harmless) and he wouldn't call the dog off. I let the guy know that there was a leash law and instead of calling his dog off, he told me to call the police (I later submitted a suggestion to the city on its new MAB site). Oh, and my wife is in her third trimester and showing very much, and we just wanted to go on a peaceful walk without an "enthusiastic" dog off leash coming up to us.

We usually avoid the Morris Canal section of Liberty Park on our walks due to dogs off leash. Two more times in the last month or 2 off leash dogs have came up to us (medium to large sized dogs) in this park (on the side by Washington St, so it's at the entrance to the park) and twice the owners did nothing and did not put the leash on their dog when I told them that it was the law (one said that this was a dog park and he didn't need to leash his dog).

So, 3 confrontations/ 3 failures to leash the dog. Now, I do recognize that most of my neighbors who own dogs (95%+) are great owners who leash their dogs on walks and always pick up after their dogs (there was one heroic guy with a baby in a baby bjorn that picked up most of his dog's digestive system last week which I certainly appreciate).

I also recognize that even most dogs off leash are tiny and/or extremely well behaved (I 'live and let live' with these guys and don't ever say anything), but maybe it established a culture where larger dog owners think its OK

This is a very densely populated part of town with limited outdoor space. A small minority of dog owners has the potential to diminish the quality of life for the rest of us. I do think a dog run in the immediate neighborhood would be good, but in the meantime, please keep your dogs on leash in consideration for the rest of us.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 23:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/11 21:03
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
I'm behind him! I like dogs but it's annoying to get approached by nearly a dozen dogs every time I go to Morris Canal Park.

Also the argument against the leash laws being harmless, akin to jaywalking or speeding, is a slippery slope. People have problems with those offenders too. You are not the police.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
And I'm curious to know in what way the "residents are getting behind you?" Was there a poll taken that I missed out on? I'm pretty sure there are also a large number of dog owners and residents who might disagree with you.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
My dog doesn't like dog runs either, he prefers the company of people, but that doesn't mean i let him off leash to run about as he pleases.

Why do you need to be asked to obey the law and leash your dog? Shouldn't you be obeying the law in the first place? Does that mean you are breaking it and once you get called out, you'll obey?
I don't understand.

I think off leash hours are a wonderful idea.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
And again, you seem to be painting with a large brush. My dogs do not like dog runs and have no interest in being in them. There are just as many inconsiderate dog owners within the runs, that's why I had to stop going to them. I used to walk to the Van Vorst park dog run every morning until it started getting so crowded that there was a fight nearly every time I went in, not to mention how many times I stepped in dog poop. Then I moved to the run on montgomery until I got kicked out because I didn't realize it was only for residents in that building. The libery harbor run is at best a dog toilet with no room for more than 1-2 dogs at a time and no space to run.

And because there were a couple of instances reported that someone says they had a problem with an owners response to their request you say it's overall not a good idea? Whenever anyone asks me to please leash my dog I do so. There's no way for you to know if I'm in the minority or not.

I feel no superiority to anyone on this issue. I am well aware of the penalty I face and am willing to pay it if I am ticketed, and I also empathize with your concerns which is why if I am causing a problem I apologize and leash my dog back up.

And I'm curious to know in what way the "residents are getting behind you?" Was there a poll taken that I missed out on? I'm pretty sure there are also a large number of dog owners and residents who might disagree with you.

I really feel that off leash hours are the best answer for everyone.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
That's fine, but if you're not satisfied with the existing dog runs, get on your neighborhood council and push for news ones to be built. In the meantime, it doesn't mean you're exempt from the laws just because you're the sole, responsible dog owner in JC.

But, why wait to be asked to leash your dog. Just leash it?!

The laws weren't made for big dogs or small dogs, they were made for all dogs.

As far as off leash hours, great idea! Get involved at the local level and push for your reps to enact this idea. Until then, the burden is on you and fellow dog owners to obey the laws, not just disregard them because they don't fit your lifestyle.

Quote:

mdips wrote:
And again, you seem to be painting with a large brush. My dogs do not like dog runs and have no interest in being in them. There are just as many inconsiderate dog owners within the runs, that's why I had to stop going to them. I used to walk to the Van Vorst park dog run every morning until it started getting so crowded that there was a fight nearly every time I went in, not to mention how many times I stepped in dog poop. Then I moved to the run on montgomery until I got kicked out because I didn't realize it was only for residents in that building. The libery harbor run is at best a dog toilet with no room for more than 1-2 dogs at a time and no space to run.

And because there were a couple of instances reported that someone says they had a problem with an owners response to their request you say it's overall not a good idea? Whenever anyone asks me to please leash my dog I do so. There's no way for you to know if I'm in the minority or not.

I feel no superiority to anyone on this issue. I am well aware of the penalty I face and am willing to pay it if I am ticketed, and I also empathize with your concerns which is why if I am causing a problem I apologize and leash my dog back up.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/2 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
"small, harmless dog" is simply not the case.

I have a 14 year old chihuahua who's been going to the same vet for his entire life. still, as much as he loves the vet and the associates, every time he's there, they muzzle him.

They have frequently told us that they get bitten / aggresive behavior more from small dogs than large dogs...

Just my two cents....

Posted on: 2013/7/2 20:54

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017