Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   5 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16)

Re: An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. The few irresponsible dog owners are ruining for other law abiding dog owners and the public in general. If you want your dog off leash, let them run in your own backyard or a dog run. I'm always scarred of stepping in shit in the park...clean up after your pets people. Or if you don't have a litter bag, borrow one or carry extra with you. It's not that hard to anticipate.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Quote:

dudsJC wrote:
I completely agree. There are so many more important things that police can be doing than worrying about dogs being off-leash in the park.

I am a dog owner and completely 100% agree that you should ALWAYS pick-up after your dog regardless of where you are. I am furious when I see other dog owners not doing the same.

However, give us a break about the parks. Don't ruin it for everyone because of a few rude neighbors.

After all, who cleaned up the Morris Canal park after Hurricane Sandy? Was it Liberty State Park? No. Was it people with children or the groups of underage children drinking/smoking in the park? No.

It was the Paulus Hook Pack and dog owners who care greatly about the community and our parks. Without them, you still wouldn't even be able to enter the park - let alone it being 'sanitary' as you're saying.

duds...YOU of all people should be the one confronting dog owners when you see it happen, rather than standing by idly and complaining about it. It makes me laugh when individuals like you say that WE are ruining it for you. No, sir, the people who are violating the leash laws are ruining it for you, and it is your responsibility as a responsible dog owner to help improve the situation.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dudsJC wrote:
And to add -

If you care so much about the Morris Canal portion of Liberty State Park, where were you all during the Post Sandy cleanup or any of the other cleanups Barbara has organized. The park cleanup was organized by the dog owner community.

I?ve never seen a dog owner confront someone who asked them to put their dog back on its leash. Instead, what you frequently see is young families bringing their children to the park in order to play with the dogs that are there. I certainly recognize that not all dogs are friendly but all it takes is simply asking someone to put their dog on the leash. Calling the police or animal control is a petty move, it is not the neighborly thing to do, we all live together in this community pet owners and non-pet owners alike. Instead of posting on a blog that you ?want to take back our parks? think about the fact that your neighbors have been using the park, maybe you should think about ?let?s share our park?. Just like individuals want to get the full enjoyment of the park dog owners want the same for their pets.

And get it straight duds. No one here has ever said to not allow dogs in the park. Never have I said that anywhere in my letter.

Again, this is not an anti dog argument, it's a pro-responsible dog ownership argument, which you fail to grasp.

Residents are fully willing to share the park - but keep your dogs on leash (as per the LAW), clean up after them and all will be good.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dudsJC wrote:
And to add -

If you care so much about the Morris Canal portion of Liberty State Park, where were you all during the Post Sandy cleanup or any of the other cleanups Barbara has organized. The park cleanup was organized by the dog owner community.

I?ve never seen a dog owner confront someone who asked them to put their dog back on its leash. Instead, what you frequently see is young families bringing their children to the park in order to play with the dogs that are there. I certainly recognize that not all dogs are friendly but all it takes is simply asking someone to put their dog on the leash. Calling the police or animal control is a petty move, it is not the neighborly thing to do, we all live together in this community pet owners and non-pet owners alike. Instead of posting on a blog that you ?want to take back our parks? think about the fact that your neighbors have been using the park, maybe you should think about ?let?s share our park?. Just like individuals want to get the full enjoyment of the park dog owners want the same for their pets.

duds, your argument is beautiful and romantic, but the fact remains that the law is on our side. You sound very much like a person trying to talk their way out of a traffic ticket.

You: "I know I was speeding, but it's late at night and no one was around"

officer: "I understand, but it's against the law"

You: "Hey, i helped clean up this neighborhood, I should be allowed to do what I want"

officer: "that's not how it works sir, here's your ticket. Have a nice day"

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dudsJC wrote:
I completely agree. There are so many more important things that police can be doing than worrying about dogs being off-leash in the park.

I am a dog owner and completely 100% agree that you should ALWAYS pick-up after your dog regardless of where you are. I am furious when I see other dog owners not doing the same.

However, give us a break about the parks. Don't ruin it for everyone because of a few rude neighbors.

After all, who cleaned up the Morris Canal park after Hurricane Sandy? Was it Liberty State Park? No. Was it people with children or the groups of underage children drinking/smoking in the park? No.

It was the Paulus Hook Pack and dog owners who care greatly about the community and our parks. Without them, you still wouldn't even be able to enter the park - let alone it being 'sanitary' as you're saying.

duds...YOU of all people should be the one confronting dog owners when you see it happen, rather than standing by idly and complaining about it. It makes me laugh when individuals like you say that WE are ruining it for you. No, sir, the people who are violating the leash laws are ruining it for you, and it is your responsibility as a responsible dog owner to help improve the situation.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/22 19:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Totally understood @driverjase. Like I said, here are three things you can do to stop it:

a. JC Animal Control: 201-547-4888 (http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1434)

b. JCPD Non emergency dispatcher: 201-547-5477

c. Police Officer Dina Reilly ? 201-547-4370 ? she is very receptive to hear from local residents about this problem.

The more these three resources hear from us, the more they will take action to stop it.

The law is on our side with this. It's up to you (and all of us) to take action. Spread the word to your friends and share this information.

JCPD could go and issue tickets one time for off-leash dogs and then I'm fairly sure word would spread through the dog community and it would never happen again.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
And to add -

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Piert1025, I appreciate your feedback and I agree that murders and such are more important from a bigger picture perspective. But there are cops assigned within a precinct, and ours is relatively quiet. It takes one cop to issue a couple of fines, and then the problem will stop. Plus, the city will increase revenue instantly without increasing taxes. They already target Ward E for boots on cars, why not let traffic cops issue leash law violations; it's a win-win!

Like I said, this is being discussed at local lever at ward and neighborhood meetings, and changes will take place I promise you (through increases signage, etc.). This letter is, in a sense, a heads up to dog owners to start paying attention so that they're not blind sided when they're issued a ticket for violating the law.

To address your other point, a volunteer neighborhood watch will do nothing because we won't have any authority to enforce the laws. I, as well as many others, already ask dog owners to obey the law and we're aggressively confronted.

As I said, it's the few that are ruining it for the many.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 21:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Here are my ideas:

1. Increased enforcement: If you?re as frustrated as I am, the laws are on our side for this one. But, you have to take action. Call the following numbers if you see dogs off leash or dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs:
a. JC Animal Control: 201-547-4888 (http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1434)

c. Police Officer Dina Reilly ? 201-547-4370 ? she is very receptive to hear from local residents about this problem.

2. Join your local neighborhood associations. Take part in your neighborhood meetings to get involved and create additional solutions to the problem. For my neighborhood, it?s the Paulus Hook NA (http://www.paulushook.net/), just Google your neighborhood and get involved!

3. Write to your Ward Councilman and Councilwomen. Let them know this is a problem and that you demand enforcement. The laws are already written; it?s time to start enforcing them. Here?s a link to your city council members: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx?id=46

OK. It sucks that defecating in public parks and on the streets but the police have more important issues to deal with. I'm not trying to tear you down, just stating the obvious.

You may want to look into starting a volunteer neighborhood watch group for small crimes and quality of life issues as to not drain resources away from the police for these sorts of petty crimes.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I can't even believe that somebody would consider not picking up after their dog. How can you just leave that on the sidewalk and walk away? You have to know that within one hour, somebody will have stepped in it. It is so disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Nyrgravey9,

Please read your PM's (Private Messages) on this site.

Mary Ann

Posted on: 2013/7/2 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Totally understood @driverjase. Like I said, here are three things you can do to stop it:

The more these three resources hear from us, the more they will take action to stop it.

The law is on our side with this. It's up to you (and all of us) to take action. Spread the word to your friends and share this information.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 13:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
There's a lady that comes to HP every morning with her (what looks like a) German Shepherd off leash walking the perimeter. Half the time she walks on the outside of the fence while her dog walks on the inside.
What do you think she'll do if the dog poops halfway between entrances? You think she'll climb over the fence or walk all the way back to pick it up? I doubt it.
Or worse, what happens if the dog decides to take off after something? She's on the other side of the fence! Not much she can do at that point.
I know she'd say her dog is fine, but its just frustrating watching people everyday ignore the rules, especially when there are many responsible dog owners that always keep their dogs on leash or use the dog run for off-leash activities.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whether it is letting your dog crap on the ground and not picking it up is the same as littering. Everyone should clean up their own/ or their dog's mess. I see dog crap on some streets and don't understand why their owners don't do anything about it. The other day I saw an elderly man near dixon mills pretend to reach into his pocked as his dog shat but when I turned around, he just walked away without stooping and picking it up. Disgusting.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Precisely. I think the proper response in these cases is to calmly say "you can either leash your dog or explain to the police why you have special permission not to" and call JCPD as I said above.

They'll leash that dog reeeeeal quick

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
I completely agree that people need to start obeying the rules. I'm a dog owner myself and bring my dog to hamilton park daily. There are a few people that constantly go to the park with their dogs unleashed and act like they are better than everyone else. It's really annoying.

For example there's this older guy who brings his dog to the park around 630 am every day. He has a pretty big brown dog and let's him off leash around the park all the time. As soon as he walks out of the park, he puts the leash on. I just don't understand.

There's also this younger guy with a small white dog named zoey who goes to the park around 9 pm. The guy kicks around a soccer ball on the grass literally right next to the big dog run, while his dog roams around freely. Now my problem with this guy is that while he kicks his stupid ball, his dog has come up to my dog (who is leashed) on several occasions. The guy says his dog is friendly but sometimes mine isn't. What happens if my dog bites his unleashed dog? He's probably going to say its my fault and expect me to pay for the vet bill. I've seen someone confront him and the guy totally flipped out as if he did nothing wrong.

There's also this big dog named Frankie who sometimes gets off leashed at the park and the guy who lives on 8th street at the corner of the park with the white dog. That guy is always playing frisbee with his dog.

The list goes on and on... The sad thing is I've seen all these owners get confronted and all react like assholes. There'a a dog park for a reason.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 6:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
In Europe dogs are welcomed in some of the finest restaurants. In the restaurant of the Hotel Imperial in Vienna, small dogs (well groomed and behaved) rested on chairs piled with cushions next to their owners while they dined. Why does everyone here freak out about it being unsanitary when millions of Europeans have no issue with this. I am sure my dog is cleaner than many of the children I see.

I am not leaving my tiny chihuahua outside to be stolen, not even for a second. Is it really such a big deal if I pick her up and bring her in while I grab a cup of coffee? Personally I'd be more concerned about the sanitary condition of the kitchen then the presence of a tiny dog (in my arms) for a few minutes.

We're not in Europe, first of all. Second, I believe that each individual establishment has the option to decide on its own whether or not to allow pets inside (service animals being the exception under ADA laws). I don't think there's a city ordinance at play here. Your dog should not be anybody's problem but your own.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
Just last week I called animal control on a man who entered a deli/lunch spot on Central Ave with a very unkempt off leash Shitzu (sp) and when I asked him 1. to remove the dog from the dining establishment, and 2. to pub a leash on the dog because it's the law, he said "No, he's fine, he won't run away."

Two seconds later the dog was in the middle of the street. Nice.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I've no argument against the sentiments on this thread, but let's not just make it an issue simply about dog poop. It's about making our City streets and parks cleaner and safer, and creating civic pride in achieving that.

Fulop's "Stop the Drop" program is a great start. Let's ask the summer hires to be ambassadors for that. Let's advertise their successes - for example post flyers when they've cleaned up an area and asking residents to help keep it clean.

Getting the message out that that as a City we care about keeping it clean, makes it much easier to confront litterers, poop rebels, and anyone else leaving their mess - it should be as simple as saying "Stop the Drop".

Posted on: 2013/7/2 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to come across rude or anything, but animals carry different diseases than humans, and in my opinion, dogs are dirtier than kids - I know my kids don't smell other dogs' pees on the street, or smell other dogs' behinds. When my kids do a number-two, they clean and wash their hands. On the other hand, whatever the dogs step on during their walk, they can bring all that into restaurants!!!

There is a reason why laws (such as no animals in eateries) are established.

I'm a dog lover myself (my favorite animal), but I agree with others that boundaries needs to be established and respected. I cannot tell you how many times I have to clean dog poo off my kids' shoes after a trip to VVP, after we played in PET FREE zones!!!

And as I try to teach my kids: just because other people do it differently, that doesn't mean their way is better.

Lastly - I do agree that the sanitary condition of the kitchen is an entirely different matter.

Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
In Europe dogs are welcomed in some of the finest restaurants. In the restaurant of the Hotel Imperial in Vienna, small dogs (well groomed and behaved) rested on chairs piled with cushions next to their owners while they dined. Why does everyone here freak out about it being unsanitary when millions of Europeans have no issue with this. I am sure my dog is cleaner than many of the children I see.

I am not leaving my tiny chihuahua outside to be stolen, not even for a second. Is it really such a big deal if I pick her up and bring her in while I grab a cup of coffee? Personally I'd be more concerned about the sanitary condition of the kitchen then the presence of a tiny dog (in my arms) for a few minutes.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Note ? fines for letting your dogs run off leash carries a large fine in the hundreds of dollars

Does anybody know the exact numbers?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 4:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/2 4:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I can't recall if the Dept of health has ordinances against pets in food services locations, but I will look for it and get back to you. Just remember, the law is on your side with this.

I'm not sure about JC, but in many cities, it's illegal to leave your dog unattended. Even if it's for a short errand.

I blame the food establishments for letting people in with their dogs. I wonder who gets the fine if someone is caught in a food service location with a dog, the dog owner or store owner? Personally it doesn't bother me.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
As a JC dog owner, I agree with every point in your post. It's really not hard to be a considerate, law-abiding neighbor.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Thank you for the feedback. What's funny about your response is how most people I know feel the need to tip toe around people who do these things. You're trying to be considerate to the dog owners, but if you confront them, you're the a**hole for doing so. It's incredible.

Also, like I said, this letter is not intended to cast all dog owners in this light. There are responsible dog owners out there, and quite frankly, feel as though THEY are the ones who should call out the idiots described in my letter.

I can't recall if the Dept of health has ordinances against pets in food services locations, but I will look for it and get back to you. Just remember, the law is on your side with this.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with your observations. I love animals and have lived with dogs as pets, but I've noticed a lot of people bringing their pets into restaurants to pick up take out and think it is unhygienic. Am I the only one to be offended by seeing an animal in a dining establishment? Shouldn't they be tied outside whilst the owner runs in and orders their meal? How should someone tactfully request that the dog owner tie up their beloved pooch?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:43

An open letter to the Dog Owners of DTJC (brace yourselves)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
To my Downtown JC neighbors, specifically the dog owners:

I think we can all agree that downtown Jersey City is an oasis on the Hudson. I?ve lived here my whole life, and throughout the last decade or so, DTJC evolved into a location ripe with friendly families, great eateries/bars and quaint parks. Along with this comeuppance, there has also been an explosion of dog ownership in our community, which is great because the community is very accepting and accommodating to dogs and dog owners.

Unfortunately, the rise in dog ownership is having an adverse effect on the quality of life in our local parks and overall community, vies-a-vie a massive disregard for local leash laws, dog curbing laws and an overall sense of entitlement regarding the usage of local parks for dogs. Note, I am not anti-dog; in fact I?ve owned dogs in the past and consider them my favorite pet. No, instead I am pro responsible dog ownership, and I am tired of the blatant disregard for local ordinances and disrespect by the dog owners in this community.

This must, and will, come to an end in time through community action and increased enforcement. But, before getting to those solutions, let?s first define the current situation and problems laid out above:

1. Leash Ordinances: Contrary to many dog owners? objections, Jersey City has leash laws on the books. Specifically:

a. ? 90-16. Use of leash in public places.
No person who owns, keeps or harbors any dog shall suffer or permit it to be upon the public streets or in any of the public places of the city unless such dog is accompanied by a responsible person and is securely confined and controlled by one adequate leash not more than six feet long.

b. ? 90-20. Removal and disposal of animal feces; animals not permitted access nor permitted to urinate or defecate within designated pet-free zone(s) within public parks. (basically says you have to clean up after your dog)
c. In other words, the law is on my side on this one.

2. Dog waste carries diseases: Don?t take it from me, take it directly from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/animals/dogs.htm). Each time dog waste is left in our parks, there is a serious risk of infecting other people or other dogs with diseases. Whether you know it or not, children AND adults wear sandals, and even walk barefoot in the parks (as they SHOULD be able to). Is it fair that we have to risk stepping in someone?s dog?s waste because they?re too lazy to clean it up?? Not to mention the fact that most of the buildings in these areas (ESPECIALLY Morris Canal park) provide people with free dog poop bags!?

3. DOG PARKS are for your dogs; every other park is NOT: Van Vorst, Hamilton and Lincoln parks all have areas designated for dog owners to let their dogs run around freely off their leashes. However, many DTJC residents have transformed the Morris Canal park into a dog run. This must and will stop. I?ll even make it easy for you to find the dog runs: http://www.bringfido.com/attraction/parks/city/jersey_city_nj_us/

a. Note ? fines for letting your dogs run off leash carries a large fine in the hundreds of dollars. Local residents are starting to resort to calling animal control and JCPD to patrol the parks and issue fines when appropriate. This will be brought up at neighborhood association meetings, so expect this to increase in the future. Consider this an early warning.

4. Confronting dog owners about their dogs ? NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART: This is probably the most frustrating part of this whole situation. If you?ve ever dared approach a dog owner in this area because they failed to clean up after their dog, you?ll know exactly what I am about to say. These people will react as if you just slapped their children in the face. In fact, not only is the idea that you asked them to curb their dog so incredulous, they?ll make you feel incredibly rude for doing so. This is no exaggeration, folks. In fact they can go from insulting to aggressive and confrontational in a split second. Also, this exactly why these few irresponsible dog owners are going to ruin it for everyone. There is no talking to these people, and the only message they?ll understand will come from an officer in a uniform.

Ok, I?ve painfully detailed a problem facing DTJC regarding dogs and dog owners (not obeying leash laws, spreading diseases, not utilizing approved dog runs and becoming confrontational when approached), and have yet to offer solutions. Here are my ideas:

1. Increased enforcement: If you?re as frustrated as I am, the laws are on our side for this one. But, you have to take action. Call the following numbers if you see dogs off leash or dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs:

2. Join your local neighborhood associations. Take part in your neighborhood meetings to get involved and create additional solutions to the problem. For my neighborhood, it?s the Paulus Hook NA (http://www.paulushook.net/), just Google your neighborhood and get involved!

3. Write to your Ward Councilman and Councilwomen. Let them know this is a problem and that you demand enforcement. The laws are already written; it?s time to start enforcing them. Here?s a link to your city council members: http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx?id=46

Finally, I truly believe Jersey City is one of the greatest cities on the world. I also believe the city should continue to be accommodative and friendly to dog owners, but not at the cost of residents? quality of life. Dog owners have a responsibility to uphold their end of the deal, or face the financial consequences much in the same way traffic violators, etc. do when they skirt the law.

Ok, begin the debate in the comments below.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:25

« 1 ... 13 14 15 (16)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017