Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Big tax increase looming?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Were you renovating?

Not sure if this was directed toward me, but no, we weren't renovating. The circumstances are a little hazy but the former president of our condo association (who sold his condo a few years ago) had the buildings dept come in to assess something or another.

Edit: I think they asked the bldg's dept to come in for a roof issue.

They saw we had sprinkler heads but no working pump (had nothing to do with why they were originally asked to come in). This opened up a can of worms BUT it was only a matter of time before the buildings dept came knocking on our door since several other small buildings like ours in my neighborhood were forced to upgrade their sprinkler systems.

I'm hoping the reval won't hurt too much.

Does anyone know where I can check my tax records on line?

I was. It sounds like your sprinkler might have been an open issue never completed. Better to be safe but $8K is a lot of money. You can look up your taxes on Jersey City's website.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
[quote]

http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... istrict=0906&ms_user=monm

Try this. If you address doesn't come up, try your last name.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Were you renovating?

Not sure if this was directed toward me, but no, we weren't renovating. The circumstances are a little hazy but the former president of our condo association (who sold his condo a few years ago) had the buildings dept come in to assess something or another.

Edit: I think they asked the bldg's dept to come in for a roof issue.

They saw we had sprinkler heads but no working pump (had nothing to do with why they were originally asked to come in). This opened up a can of worms BUT it was only a matter of time before the buildings dept came knocking on our door since several other small buildings like ours in my neighborhood were forced to upgrade their sprinkler systems.

I'm hoping the reval won't hurt too much.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I'm hoping that taxpayers of other municipalities see this thread and the exposed truth of what happens when developers get tax breaks on dozens of luxury rental projects. As much as I wanted to live in downtown JC, I'm now glad I chose to buy somewhere else.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Were you renovating?

Posted on: 2013/5/31 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I am sure it won't be all increase, it would be cuts too. That is how it should be. Eliminating some wasteful agencies would be a good start.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
The more I learn about the mess of owning property here in JC, the less I ever want to be able to buy anything here. Ugh.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
I know many here can't take a 7.9% tax hike.

I know I can't.

The building's dept is making our condo association (9 units) put in a sprinkler system because they're afraid of low water pressure due to all the development in DTJC. This is costing us thousands of dollars; most of it is coming out-of-pocket from each unit. I'm barely scraping by each month.

I'm really sick of city hall hiking up taxes on property owners while developers get abatements and a free pass on upgrading our crumbling infrastructure.

State code requires the minimum, not the maximum: ask them to site you the code that requires you to put in the maximum and to put it in writing.

Trust me. We tried to fight it but we had been grandfathered in to the fire codes since 1990. They even took us to court about it.

We're not the only building they are doing this to either. Infrastructure is weak while developers get tax breaks? Make property owners foot the bill. My out-of-pocket expenses for this water pump/sprinkler system is over $8000. A 7.9% tax increase is going to really, really hurt.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Yes, the 7.9% on top of the re-evaluation. I know they have said re-evaluations usually result in one-third higher, one-third lower, one-third the same. But, I've also heard that many owners have not let the inspectors in (surprise, surprise). From what I hear, if the inspectors don't get access, then they will assume higher values.
We've been looking for a house; but, I'm afraid I'll be walking into a property tax nightmare.
Not sure if there is any site out there that indicates which houses have actually been re-evaluated by inspection (and conversely, which ones will be "interpreted" by inspectors). -- I doubt there's anything out there, but it sure would help for those of us house-shopping.

If the home is taxed at market value and you pay market value then you're safe. If the house is paying less than it's fair share of taxes then you can expect an increase in your taxes after the reval. If you wonder, check with the tax assessor.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:

I know I can't.

The building's dept is making our condo association (9 units) put in a sprinkler system because they're afraid of low water pressure due to all the development in DTJC. This is costing us thousands of dollars; most of it is coming out-of-pocket from each unit. I'm barely scraping by each month.

I'm really sick of city hall hiking up taxes on property owners while developers get abatements and a free pass on upgrading our crumbling infrastructure.

State code requires the minimum, not the maximum: ask them to site you the code that requires you to put in the maximum and to put it in writing.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Large tax increases as a result of the revaluation means those homes have been under taxed all this time. Consider yourself lucky but now it's time to pay your fair share.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, The reval has not happened yet.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Yes, the 7.9% on top of the re-evaluation. I know they have said re-evaluations usually result in one-third higher, one-third lower, one-third the same. But, I've also heard that many owners have not let the inspectors in (surprise, surprise). From what I hear, if the inspectors don't get access, then they will assume higher values.
We've been looking for a house; but, I'm afraid I'll be walking into a property tax nightmare.
Not sure if there is any site out there that indicates which houses have actually been re-evaluated by inspection (and conversely, which ones will be "interpreted" by inspectors). -- I doubt there's anything out there, but it sure would help for those of us house-shopping.

There is a lot of fear out there but we have gone through the re-evaluated in GV it was not as bad as most people on here say its going to be, my taxes were raised $789, and yes I never let the inspector in because I was out of the country at the time.

Its not that deep people, I purchased my home paying $4,389 in taxes and now I am paying $5,178.00 which is not bad. Also my home has increased in value from the purchase price of 135k to 190K in less than two years. I look forward to put the re-evaluation behind us and hopefully no nitwit council person will try to stop it.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

The average income in Jersey City for the entire city is about $58-60K according to census numbers. I made just about that last year so I am speaking as an AVERAGE person. But unfortunately, I don't "qualify" for anything except to have to be burdened with extremely high and ever increasing property taxes while others get a free pass. That's not fair.

The median income of Jersey City households is $37,862. The US Census does not even emphasize average income numbers because they are too easily skewed by exceptionally large or small values. By the standard median metric, you are rather well off compared to most people in this city, and I wonder if you know what true struggle is like.
I agree, however I don't think 50k is middle class in the NYC metro area,Maybe 15 years ago. 50k is middle class in the south or Midwest but not here. Today in the metro area 50k is a struggle.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

The average income in Jersey City for the entire city is about $58-60K according to census numbers. I made just about that last year so I am speaking as an AVERAGE person. But unfortunately, I don't "qualify" for anything except to have to be burdened with extremely high and ever increasing property taxes while others get a free pass. That's not fair.

The median income of Jersey City households is $37,862. The US Census does not even emphasize average income numbers because they are too easily skewed by exceptionally large or small values. By the standard median metric, you are rather well off compared to most people in this city, and I wonder if you know what true struggle is like.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Richardson pulled a Massey and changed her vote after the bell. I can't believe someone who has been on the council for 12 years claims ignorance over procedure. And she wants to be re-elected? GET OUTTA HERE!

after Healy, this woman is the embodiment of JC politics at its absolute worst. she needs to go.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Class is in session on this thread...
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=316461

BTW, I did introduce myself. I'm the guy that sat behind you and attempted to explain the factors of the project... of course you were too flustered and happy being ignorant to care.

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
That is absolutely not true Mr. Sucio.

I'm trying to look out for the Middle Class who is continually getting ramrodded by our government.

They talk about "affordable housing"... but then pass a 30 year abatement for something that is labeled "mixed-income, mixed use housing" that will have many units at market rate. Who has to make up that difference? The middle class.

Next time you see me at the council meeting (as it sounds like you were there?) why don't you come and say hello and introduce yourself and we can chat and you can learn more about why I care. Because 75% of the registered voters of this fine city don't seem to care and didn't even bother to vote.

Fletch

Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Fletch, why do you hate the poor & downtrodden so much? I'm referring to the comments you made last night to me (I sat behind you). Thank god you aren't our councilman, its ignorant people like you - who have zero desire to learn about what they talk on - that have ruined america. You care about rhetoric instead of reason.

I've never been so glad that someone lost.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
That is absolutely not true Mr. Sucio.

I'm trying to look out for the Middle Class who is continually getting ramrodded by our government.

They talk about "affordable housing"... but then pass a 30 year abatement for something that is labeled "mixed-income, mixed use housing" that will have many units at market rate. Who has to make up that difference? The middle class.

Next time you see me at the council meeting (as it sounds like you were there?) why don't you come and say hello and introduce yourself and we can chat and you can learn more about why I care. Because 75% of the registered voters of this fine city don't seem to care and didn't even bother to vote.

Fletch

Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Fletch, why do you hate the poor & downtrodden so much? I'm referring to the comments you made last night to me (I sat behind you). Thank god you aren't our councilman, its ignorant people like you - who have zero desire to learn about what they talk on - that have ruined america. You care about rhetoric instead of reason.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Richardson pulled a Massey and changed her vote after the bell. I can't believe someone who has been on the council for 12 years claims ignorance over procedure. And she wants to be re-elected? GET OUTTA HERE!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Like Fulop said it just proves the Team Healy 3 year stable tax bullshi* from the campaign. Right after each election a "hit".

Sad thing is that 7.9% increase is for all of us. Then later on in the year 1/3 of us will get hit with the reval increase..right?

Do NOT vote for Richardson on June 11th.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

I know I can't.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Update as confirmed by Jersey Journal.

The number is $16 million budget gap. And confirmed, 7.9% municipal tax hike unless the budget is severely cut.

Let's see what happens.

Oh and this is on top of the 4.4% County and 2% School Tax hikes we just got.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:53

Big tax increase looming?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Just posted this on Facebook Ward E page.

Just got in from the City Council meeting. Very disappointed our Council-Woman Elect was not present. I realize she doesn't take office till July 1st, but she could have sat in the audience like me becoming acclimated with the current issues at hand. Hope to see her in June perhaps - as she is supposed to be "transitioning".

First up... And I knew it... SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE... Jersey City is way over budget... (either 16 million or $60 million - I heard 60) and unless Fulop reintroduces a dramatically cut budget, we're going to be looking at a municipal tax hike upwards of 7.9%. You should have seen Viola Richardson and Fulop screaming at each other. Meanwhile I went up and spoke out against tax abatements. I don't care who they are for. I am very middle class, and can't take any more tax hikes while JC gives away the store. How about a tax abatement for ME. I need affordable housing too Mr. Donnelly, and that means stable/lower taxes. Those 2009/2010 tax increases still have my property at a third of its value. YOU CAN"T JUST KEEP ON TAXING.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017