Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: A no-show at a council meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
When several dozen people attack you for commenting on a fact, not an opinion, that is outrageous. Yes, I am glad the middle ages is over and my comment is protected by the first amendment.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Might get crucified for your persecution complex though.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am sure that if it was legal, I would have been hung, drawn and quarter for speaking my mind to bloggers here but thank God that is illegal.

Astounding.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 16:50
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I think some people are over sensitive. I made a comment I saw Fletcher at the council meeting and he was engaged at what was going on. That is a fact, then it dawn on me that the newly elected council person was absent. Even as a retired Catholic teacher I would go in early before school began to organize my class. This is similar, there are many items that you must know. After seeing Judge Bariso called candidates (the speaker phone was on) to ask if they wanted to move up and take Robinson's place, I was saddened to hear people say "No." People run because they are asked to run, others, like Fletcher, have a true interest. They do not need to win to represent their ward. I am sure that if it was legal, I would have been hung, drawn and quarter for speaking my mind to bloggers here but thank God that is illegal.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
2. Objecting to this tactic is not an attack on Yvonne or anyone else. It is a defense of civility.

Civility? Jersey City politics have never been civil. This board is a testament to that.

And to tell Yvonne to "move on" is a great mistake. The worst thing that could ever happen to Jersey City would be for the small handful of truly active citizens to "move on". This city is a mess. I would surely hope that our mayor and all of our new council members are prepared and willing to start work immediately, because we are already behind.

And once again TROLL you manipulate words to suit your agenda. Anyone just taking "move on" at face value without having followed this thread would think I was telling Yvonne to take a hike (here's another phrase you can use to your purpose) instead of it meaning that she is in the face of somebody who isn't even in office while ignoring some of the others while they are still in the potential stage is unfair.

Two years on the board of VVP? Having been an active member of several associations myself since the mid '90's the people I have met & things learned have served me well. One need not be going before the council to be a thorn in the side. The soon to be previous administration knows that all too well. Is the very knowledgable but obnoxious Cliffy Waldman still around. Someday I'll tell you why I refer to this snot-ass as Cliffy. To get respect, you must show it.

Have a nice day, a group of us are having a BBQ in celebration of Jersey City's July 1st rebirth.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When a person votes on an ordinance or resolution, they are voting as a collective body, no councilperson can do anything without at least five votes or six for budgets. Every council person votes on matters that affects other wards. It does matter.

Of course it matters. You know it matters. And I'm sure you also know our new Mayor and elected council are very knowledgeable, and will, when it's time for them to step up and assume their positions, use their knowledge to the best of their ability. You're right when you know what you know and I'm sure you will find that it won't be necessary for you to worry too much about them and you'll find yourself saying positive things about them.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 3:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
2. Objecting to this tactic is not an attack on Yvonne or anyone else. It is a defense of civility.

Civility? Jersey City politics have never been civil. This board is a testament to that.

And to tell Yvonne to "move on" is a great mistake. The worst thing that could ever happen to Jersey City would be for the small handful of truly active citizens to "move on". This city is a mess. I would surely hope that our mayor and all of our new council members are prepared and willing to start work immediately, because we are already behind.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:

You support Fulop and his ticket. That is fine. But when you attack these good people who have served their community for holding feet to the fire, I would say you are the troll. Yvonne has been on the back of every politician that has walked through the doors of city hall and I'm glad she has. If we had 100 more Yvonnes, we might not be in such a mess today. This hole is wide and deep. The new administration is wasting time if they wait until July to start working. The last council meeting proves that point.

1. Calling Candice a "no-show" before she is in office and rehashing losing campaign rhetoric is not "holding feet to the fire," nor is it "serving the community."

2. Objecting to this tactic is not an attack on Yvonne or anyone else. It is a defense of civility

3. We know a waste of time when we see one.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 23:31
I live by the river.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll take you at your word that you attend council meetings. Or even just watch them on TV.

I have butted heads with Yvonne over the years. I would not call her a friend. But I respect her time and her service. As well as Dan and Fletcher. The amount of service I have done for Jersey City is a spit in the bucket compared to all they have done. But when I was asked to serve, I did. I spent two years on the board of the Van Vorst Neighborhood Association. And I was educated and better for it.

You support Fulop and his ticket. That is fine. But when you attack these good people who have served their community for holding feet to the fire, I would say you are the troll. Yvonne has been on the back of every politician that has walked through the doors of city hall and I'm glad she has. If we had 100 more Yvonnes, we might not be in such a mess today. This hole is wide and deep. The new administration is wasting time if they wait until July to start working. The last council meeting proves that point.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Thank you for your service Yvonne, now move on. You ran once, you lost, cause obviously despite your knowledge people didn't want you.

Hey! I have a great idea! Why don't YOU run for office and we'll see what Jersey City thinks of YOUR ideas?

Politics is not sports. A win at the ballot box hardly equals change. If you disagree with Yvonne, show up at a council meeting and wait for your turn to speak.

Or you can just spout off from behind a keyboard to a very limited audience and see how that works out.

Here's the 411 - I do attend one council meeting a month. The reason I do not attend both is that my block association meeting falls on the other. I never aspired to elected office therefore do not waste anyone's time running. My statement is one of fact & the fact is that Yvonne's input at meetings is invaluable but her hard on for Candice not attending meetings is both unfair & unwarranted. Candice is pretty informed. And just for the hell of it, why aren't the other candidates attending? They all have an equal chance at that brass ring & we will know in less than 2 weeks who will grab it. There are several candidates who I doubt even know where City Hall is much less Council Chambers. And of course, troll that you are, you only put the part of my statment that suited your purpose.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 22:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Thank you for your service Yvonne, now move on. You ran once, you lost, cause obviously despite your knowledge people didn't want you.

Hey! I have a great idea! Why don't YOU run for office and we'll see what Jersey City thinks of YOUR ideas?

Politics is not sports. A win at the ballot box hardly equals change. If you disagree with Yvonne, show up at a council meeting and wait for your turn to speak.

Or you can just spout off from behind a keyboard to a very limited audience and see how that works out.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When a person votes on an ordinance or resolution, they are voting as a collective body, no councilperson can do anything without at least five votes or six for budgets. Every council person votes on matters that affects other wards. It does matter.

Thank you for your service Yvonne, now move on. You ran once, you lost, cause obviously despite your knowledge people didn't want you. But we all know that was probably Lou's fault. I doubt even God could live up to your standards.

When Candice starts failing her duty as a councilperson & fails by our standards, not yours, I am sure the thumbscrews will be applied.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 10:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/1 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
It's questionable why you think a person outside of your own ward will have to answer to you in the audience of a public meeting where she isn't required to be.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I made one statement-the Ward E candidate won, therefore she has a job but she was a no-show while Fletcher was there. It is apparent some bloggers cannot take the truth. This reminds me of similar attacks when I scheduled the Ward C debate. I was told I was not being fair to Ms. Lopez and should have picked another day even though I had other debates in other wards. Well Ms. Lopez said she will not appear in the runoff debate against Boggiano. Attacking me doesn't change the fact. I believe Osborne does was not want the job compared to the candidates that lost in Ward E. I was in court when Judge Bariso called candidates to take Robinsons place on the ballot in Ward F. Since these candidates did not have the backing of their mayoral candidate, they said no to the judge. They really did not want the job.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:47

Edited by Yvonne on 2013/5/31 13:06:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Actually Matt probably would know as he has a dialogue with Candice and she is able to speak knowledgeably about the topics. In addition, Candice has been involved in a lot of these conversations before they are even discussed at caucus and council meetings.

I know you are pissed that the person you think should have won did not, and I have no issue with holding a candidate's feet to the flames. However, it is your insinuation that really the only way to be apprised of the situations is to attend the council meetings. I learned long ago that this is not true. Once sworn in she should and will attend almost all of the meetings. Make no mistake though, our future council woman has been deeply involved for years and there is a reason why Fulop's council team was so well informed and on top of things. We have strong communication and boots on the ground. Councilman Lavarro seems to have the same type of team.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The only way you know she sees the council meetings on TV is if you are with her. Stop making excuses for the newly elected councilperson. She is a grownup.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 11:58
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Why not? Don't you want a better informed elected official? I was amazed by Fletcher, he had a lot to say. By the way if you think you are not paying enough taxes, don't worry, revaluation will solve that problem. As it is, you are paying for the 30 year abatement for mixed used housing that was voted on tonight.

State law requires every municipality to do a reval every ten years or every time 10% of the housing stock changes hands, whichever comes first. It's designed so everyone pays their fair share of taxes. Considering how little the million dollar brownstones downtown are paying in property taxes, why do you think you have to make an argument for the rich people who own those homes and aren't paying their fair share of taxes?
Whom do you resent with your condescending comments about abatements, the poor or the middle class? I'm sure you already know that you sound like an elitist.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

La_Verdad wrote:
[quote]
Yvonne wrote:
... I believe Candice's job is to be ready to be a councilperson in order to make intelligent decisions. I should also mention Esther Wintner, a non-Fulop candidate also attended the meeting.

And showing up to hear the pearls of wisdom imparted by Peter (burp) Brennan, Bill (wake up!) Gaughan and Viola (walking the fine line between permanent disability from a public job and full time employment at a public job) Richardson is going to help Candice "make intelligent decisions"? Or is it that she wasn't there to hear another of your great discourses?]
Too funny!!

Posted on: 2013/5/31 4:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bret Schundler was the golden boy 20 years ago. Mayor Elect Fulop was certainly our best choice. But if you think our problems are now solved, maybe visit the Jersey City Room in the main branch library.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Let's stick to an issue at hand & one of those issues is Yvonne.

I make no apologies but Yvonne as much as you are an asset at some meetings reciting the history that put us where we are today & your diligence in researching the facts is impeccable your lofty expectations for mere mortals is just tiring. Why haven't you run for council since your attendance bests all the members? You can kvetch from the council seat as easily from the floor & I am sure the gallery would be more receptive.

In 2001 Yvonne ran for the At Large seat on the Manzo Ticket.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

I make no apologies but Yvonne as much as you are an asset at some meetings reciting the history that put us where we are today & your diligence in researching the facts is impeccable your lofty expectations for mere mortals is just tiring. Why haven't you run for council since your attendance bests all the members? You can kvetch from the council seat as easily from the floor & I am sure the gallery would be more receptive.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 2:47
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/31 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:
Bogart wrote:
What people would I dismiss? I simply said it is not useful to anyone to continue campaign tactics beyond the election.

The people you dismiss are Yvonne and Fletcher. They regularly attend council meetings. To call their years of public service "campaign tactics" tells me that you are in no position to criticize them. Go to a council meeting and have a discussion with them. They will happily engage you.

I have not dismissed anyone's participation. By "campaign tactics" I mean the attempt to embarrass Candice for not attending a meeting she was not obligated to attend.

I don't know who you are, but you really need to switch off the campaign-mode spinning.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 22:43
I live by the river.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Bogart wrote:
What people would I dismiss? I simply said it is not useful to anyone to continue campaign tactics beyond the election.

The people you dismiss are Yvonne and Fletcher. They regularly attend council meetings. To call their years of public service "campaign tactics" tells me that you are in no position to criticize them. Go to a council meeting and have a discussion with them. They will happily engage you.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
... I believe Candice's job is to be ready to be a councilperson in order to make intelligent decisions. I should also mention Esther Wintner, a non-Fulop candidate also attended the meeting.

And showing up to hear the pearls of wisdom imparted by Peter (burp) Brennan, Bill (wake up!) Gaughan and Viola (walking the fine line between permanent disability from a public job and full time employment at a public job) Richardson is going to help Candice "make intelligent decisions"? Or is it that she wasn't there to hear another of your great discourses?

Candice will do just fine. She will end up being a leader on the incoming council and if you think she is going to take orders from anyone, then you clearly don't know Candice. Think what you will for now, but you will see very quickly that she is more than ready for the job and will hit the ground running day one. (and you can't legitimately rebut that, Yvonne because from the very beginning you have said you don't really know Candice.)

Posted on: 2013/5/30 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
This thread is undignified. Take a hint from Healy: When you lose an election the proper attitude is respect for the will of the voters and a pledge to be constructive and cooperative. If you continue the campaign, criticizing the voters and taking cheap shots at the winner, you benefit no one.

Politics does not end at the ballot box. These people that you would dismiss are the citizens that show up to council meetings, write letters and are involved in local politics every day. This sporting event attitude of "WE WON!" and job done is why JC is such a mess.

What people would I dismiss? I simply said it is not useful to anyone to continue campaign tactics beyond the election. And making a non-event into a cause for public condemnation is a campaign tactic, nothing more.

The contest in Ward E was about personalities not policies. All the candidates agree about the major issues. So don't cloak the petty sniping at Candice in the mantle of "politics." It's just an expression of personal resentment that serves no useful purpose.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:31
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
vindication... the property in question is part of the phases that are being developed to replace the duncan ave projects. they have nothing to do with luxury buildings downtown. That said, encouraging some degree of mixing incomes downtown isnt a bad idea. it really isnt going to have much impact on the supply of market-rate luxury buildings in the city...

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
This thread is undignified. Take a hint from Healy: When you lose an election the proper attitude is respect for the will of the voters and a pledge to be constructive and cooperative. If you continue the campaign, criticizing the voters and taking cheap shots at the winner, you benefit no one.

Politics does not end at the ballot box. These people that you would dismiss are the citizens that show up to council meetings, write letters and are involved in local politics every day. This sporting event attitude of "WE WON!" and job done is why JC is such a mess.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 17:52
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
And Mr. Donnelly made this whole thing about affordable housing. Well, affordable housing needs to extend to everyone including the middle class and when you have out of control property taxes, that makes living here un-affordable for a lot of folks who don't "qualify" for affordable housing.

When the city council passes a 30 year tax abatement for a project described as (from the agenda) "mixed-income, mixed-use housing" that will have many units at market rate... well that is not fair to the Middle Class who has to shoulder this give-away.

Q: Why is the project described and designated as mixed-income/mixed-use?
A: Urban planning & community development studies have found that when you develop housing in a distressed neighborhood, if no effort is made to incorporate a mixed-income strategy within the development and neighborhood, we end up with ghettos. The reason the duncan projects were razed is because they had been a cesspool of crime (crime that spills in to surrounding neighborhoods and across the city and lowers everyone's quality of life and property values, including yours); by developing the replacement affordable housing as having a small (8%... does that qualify as "many?") middle-income/market-rate component it increases the economic viability of the whole neighborhood/city. Having a small middle-income/market-rate component guarantees that not every resident will be living in the building on vouchers. Mixed-use may mean that some of the building has a home ownership, instead of just being purely rental, component. As with the middle-income component, this community redevelopment effort is designed to create a greater sense of neighborhood ownership and revitalize distressed communities.

As for "shouldering this give-away," the land currently has zero property taxes paid on it. Granting the abatement results in property taxes being paid. There is no give-away, you aren't shouldering anything. If anything you are being given something. You are receiving improved quality of life as your neighbors get the chance to live in a safer and affordable home which raises the value of your property.

The thought that every development project should have affordable housing is ridiculous. There are benefits to having mixed-income in a NEIGHBORHOOD. To have it in every building is stupid. To require "affordable" units in projects like 77hudson and crystal point is beyond ridiculous. Where does it end? Should BMW and Mercedes have a special price for low income drivers? Should LV and Gucci be forced to sell the same handbags to lower income individuals at "affordable" prices.

Is it fair that someone pays market rate for a unit in these luxury buildings and others pay lower price for the same unit?

The more market rate units you take away and make as affordable, especially in these top of the line luxury buildings, the higher the price these other units will become.

Shouldn't the focus be on increasing wages so we can all afford this nice stuff and not on forcing people to sell products at what you think is an acceptable price.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 17:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017