Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Only the Food Is Exotic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Try Sapthagiri, its very good.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
a fairly decent list, albeit missing a few that i would show off (kraverie, barcade, park tavern, nha trang thanh hoai, etc)

biggies is well... there's nothing all that exciting about biggies. it's a sports bar in hoboken. Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/biggies-clam- ... id:idoU_cMT4Bm1GzjJ9m9EdA

I agree, my belly's playlist is most of them mentioned but they could have included a few more of the Indian places in little India and Bayonne has some nice eateries which did not even make the list.

Your past suggestion for Indian- Canteen is spot on. Canteen is my favorite Indian restaurant in Jersey City. You go there for the food, not the decor and ambiance. But the music is pretty good!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, I love that place, and oh yeah the music is awesome :)

@user1111 - what do you order from Canteen? It may be in the 90's tonight but that's what we're having for dinner!

What we get, not so adventurous ...

Chicken Curry
Chana Saag - (not on the menu but they make it for us)
Chana masala

The only we didn't like was the vegetable mixed pakora

Sorry I just seen this, I always order a few appetizers or ask the waitress/waiter to bring me something I never tried before. Everything is good, except for the veggie chic pea burger, nasty.

The prices are so reasonable that we usually order a few things and taste them all and bring home the rest. Hot weather never kept me away neither lol.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
a fairly decent list, albeit missing a few that i would show off (kraverie, barcade, park tavern, nha trang thanh hoai, etc)

biggies is well... there's nothing all that exciting about biggies. it's a sports bar in hoboken. Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/biggies-clam- ... id:idoU_cMT4Bm1GzjJ9m9EdA

I agree, my belly's playlist is most of them mentioned but they could have included a few more of the Indian places in little India and Bayonne has some nice eateries which did not even make the list.

Your past suggestion for Indian- Canteen is spot on. Canteen is my favorite Indian restaurant in Jersey City. You go there for the food, not the decor and ambiance. But the music is pretty good!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, I love that place, and oh yeah the music is awesome :)

@user1111 - what do you order from Canteen? It may be in the 90's tonight but that's what we're having for dinner!

What we get, not so adventurous ...

Chicken Curry
Chana Saag - (not on the menu but they make it for us)
Chana masala

The only we didn't like was the vegetable mixed pakora

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
well, that's my review, but yes it's of the old clam broth house. i'll certainly give it a shot at some point however, as i wasn't aware of the difference between the two in terms of how they're presented.

Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

The Biggie's sports bar that opened in the old Clam Broth House is just a sports bar, def nothing exciting. You are looking at the wrong yelp. The Times article is giving props to the original Biggie's on 3rd and Madison that has been there since the 1940's. Def go check it out, worth the trip to Hoboken, it's like stepping back in time and is still as good as it always was....

Posted on: 2013/5/30 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/4 13:59
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Great article for JC food.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

The Biggie's sports bar that opened in the old Clam Broth House is just a sports bar, def nothing exciting. You are looking at the wrong yelp. The Times article is giving props to the original Biggie's on 3rd and Madison that has been there since the 1940's. Def go check it out, worth the trip to Hoboken, it's like stepping back in time and is still as good as it always was....

Ahhhhh Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking something is wrong here. Now that makes more sense.
Biggie's Clam Bar

Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Thank you. They love us. Ordered take out and dined in many times!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
dang! now the secret is out...so is 15 Fox Place now mainstream? it used to be word of mouth only

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
So this explains all the tourist, very interesting read.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 11:12

Only the Food Is Exotic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

By HELENE STAPINSKI
The New York Times

When I was growing up in the 1970s in Hudson County, N.J., there was plenty to complain about; toxic waste, political corruption, blighted buildings. The one thing people never knocked was the food.

Our mothers made meatballs. Our aunts fashioned pirogi. My father brought home lobster and steaks that ?fell off the back of the truck? at the frozen-food warehouse near the mouth of the Holland Tunnel.

And then there were the restaurants. From the edge of Jersey City to the tip of North Hudson on a 10-mile stretch that faces Manhattan, we had everything from first-class red sauce joints to authentic curry houses to some of the best pressed Cubanos north of Miami.

I moved to Brooklyn 20 years ago, a place many have declared a world-class food capital. But me? My taste buds never really left Jersey City, my hometown.

Eating there has become even better over the decades, so I?m always surprised to find that Hudson County?s bounty is mostly ignored by my fellow New Yorkers.

Though Manhattanites think nothing of taking a 40-minute train ride to Astoria, Queens, in search of the latest obscure dish, you have to practically drag them at knife point to the PATH train for the 10-minute ride to New Jersey.

?When I tell people I have a restaurant in Jersey City, they ask, ?Do you need a passport to go there?? ? said Ralph Rodriguez, the owner of Marco & Pepe, an 11-year-old cafe near the Grove Street PATH station. ?And I get mad because it?s closer than Brooklyn.?

Once the rail hub for Ellis Island, Jersey City is one of the most ethnically diverse cities on the planet. Combine that melting-pot pedigree with good Jersey produce and some of the best bakeries in the region, and you can find terrific meals ? and at half the price of similar fare in Manhattan.

Jersey City has one of the nation?s largest Egyptian Coptic communities, and a large number of Filipino restaurants (at last count, there were 15). Little India, with nine restaurants on Newark Avenue alone, puts its East Village counterpart to shame. Just a few blocks from where I grew up is Thirty Acres, which drew great reviews last year when it opened and was named one of Bon App?tit?s top 50 new restaurants in the United States.

Next door, in Hoboken, are a James Beard Award-winning Peruvian chef at Cucharamama; a cheesesteak (made with real steak) that people double-park for at Piccolo?s; and the creamiest mozzarella you may ever taste, at Fiore?s Deli, which is so above the fray that it sat out the city?s recent mozzarella competition.

My tour of Hudson County?s well-kept secrets starts with the cuisine I know most intimately. Within a meatball?s throw of one another are four classic red-sauce places: Casa Dante, with its jacketed waiters; Rita & Joe?s, where I?ve drowned my sorrows at many a funeral repast; 15 Fox Place, a dining club with a six-course Italian prix fixe; and not too far away, the swellegant Puccini?s.

My family?s favorite is Laico?s, hidden on a residential street in the Greenville neighborhood. No matter how many times I go, I always get lost among the rows of aluminum-sided houses.

?When my father first decided to buy the place, he told a friend where it was, and the guy said, ?What, are you crazy?? ? said the chef, Louis Laico. ?But location isn?t everything.?

Mr. Laico has been cooking there since 1975, catering to neighbors, local politicians, hotel guests from the tonier downtown section and natives, like me, who have moved away and miss the sauce. Meals here start with a salad with Laico?s secret-recipe dressing, which must be sopped up with the dense Italian bread delivered by the famous Dom?s Bakery in Hoboken (which also supplies Piccolo?s).

The seafood salad is so tender it?s worth driving hours for, as my sister on the Jersey Shore will attest. The eggplant parm is my Italian mom?s favorite (?sliced nice and thin,? she says). There?s homemade poundcake, but I?ve never had enough room. It gives me a little extra something to look forward to when I?m lost in Greenville next time.

Three miles but seemingly half a world away is Fiesta Grill, the fanciest of the city?s many Filipino spots. When I was growing up, one of my closest friends was Filipino. Every few weeks I would eat at Maria?s house: pork with some crunchy stuff, chicken with yummy brown sauce and, for dessert, weird Jell-O rectangles.

It wasn?t until I was an adult and visited my first Filipino restaurant that I realized Maria?s family was serving authentic food from the islands: chicken adobo, lechon and buko pandan. All the memories and flavors ? the coconut milk, vinegar and calamansi ? came rushing back.

The closest I get to Maria?s table these days is Fiesta Grill West Side. The restaurant seats 150 and is best described as cafeteria-meets-imperial-ballroom: the chairs are heavy carved wood, upholstered in shiny red fabric and just past the steam table. The lighting is fluorescent, and four flat screens loudly broadcast Filipino cable. A feast for three costs $40.

Tables of happy regulars order the sizzling bangus, chopped milk fish with red onions and chiles, and the sisig, a traditional comfort food made with pork belly and lemon juice. Those and a handful of other items are served Monday to Thursday. On weekends, when the place is hopping with ballroom and line dancing, there are 100 different offerings, including all those dishes I loved at Maria?s. Now that I?m grown up, and it?s B.Y.O.B., I carry a six-pack to extinguish the 10-alarm chiles.

Just north of Jersey City is Hoboken, a mile-square town packed with more than 300 restaurants. When I was a child, hardly anyone ever went to Hoboken (the only place tougher than Jersey City) with its longshoremen saloons and streets I wouldn?t walk down alone.

One of my first boyfriends grew up there, and showed me the beauty that was old-school Hoboken. After a tour of every ?On the Waterfront? filming location, he took me to Biggie?s Clam Bar and persuaded me to eat my first raw littleneck. He introduced me to Brother Biggie, then in his 50s (now 82), a short, joyful man with a smile for every customer who walks in, whether it?s the first time or the 1,000th. Brother Biggie, Michael Yaccarino, inherited the business from his father, the original Biggie, who started in the 1940s with a pushcart, going door to door to all the bars at the back end of town.

The menu of clams, burgers and hot dogs has grown to include seafood bisque and a meaty crab cake, not just in Hoboken but also in a new location in Carlstadt, feeding all those Hobokenites who have moved to Bergen County. Last April they opened their newest place uptown, on the site that used to be the Clam Broth House, a 113-year-old Hoboken institution.

When I was young, my brother-in-law, Maurice, would take us to the Clam Broth House. He grew up in Hoboken and loved to eat out. He was a banker, and always picked up the tab. One of his favorite places was Mi Bandera in Union City, where he was taken by his Latino business clients.

From the outside, Mi Bandera is slightly depressing, above a supermarket and surrounded by grungy parking lots. A mammoth American flag (the bandera) is painted on its side wall. But the second-floor dining room, with a skylight and burnt orange walls, is bright and welcoming, with a big grilling station covered in mission roof tiles. There?s a huge mural of Cuban landmarks like the Malec?n and the Havana Cathedral.

Most families eating there are from Cuba or Central and South America. (The county?s northern end has one of the largest Cuban-American populations in the United States, after Miami.) The meal begins with a free bowl of chicharones, nuggets of fried pork skin, which set the mood for the cholesterol fest to come.

One of the most popular appetizers is the tostones, little cups made from plantains and stuffed with tiny shrimp. But Mi Bandera is known for its churrasco, $20 for the 17-incher, called the peque?o (I?m afraid to see the grande). It arrives sizzling on a metal platter with rice, beans, sweet bananas or yuca, the starch mingling with the steak juices, green chimichurri and red, spicy aji sauces.

My teenage son somehow finds room for tres leches cake, which I usually just sample. Then I am rolled home, with a bag of leftovers to take on that short, short ride to New York.

Biggie?s Clam Bar 318 Madison Street, Hoboken, (201) 656-2161; 36-42 Newark Street, Hoboken, (201) 710-5520, biggiesclambar.com.

Casa Dante 737 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, (201) 795-2750, casadante.com.

Cucharamama 233 Clinton Street, Hoboken, (201) 420-1700, cucharamama.com.

Fiesta Grill West Side 819 West Side Avenue, Jersey City, (201) 433-9600, fiestagrill.net.

15 Fox Place 15 Fox Place, Jersey City, (201) 333-1476, womcatering.com.

Fiore?s Deli 414 Adams Street, Hoboken, (201) 659-1655.

Thirty Acres 500 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, (201) 435-3100, thirtyacres.tumblr.com.

Laico?s 67 Terhune Avenue, Jersey City, (201) 434-4115, laicosjc.com.

Marco & Pepe 289 Grove Street, Jersey City, (201) 860-9688, marcoandpepe.com.

Mi Bandera 518 32nd Street, Union City, (201) 348-2828.

Piccolo?s 92 Clinton Street, Hoboken, (201) 653-0564, piccoloshoboken.com.

Puccini?s 1064 West Side Avenue, Jersey City, (201) 432-4111, puccinisrestaurant.com.

Rita and Joe?s 142 Broadway, Jersey City, (201) 451-3606, rita-joes.com.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 4:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017