Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Why I Like Councilwoman Nidia Lopez
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Since the City of Jersey City doesn't own the PATH station or the plaza around it, it has no jurisdiction over it. There is a Journal Square SID that is supposed to be responsible for any issues at the PATH station and Councilwoman Lopez worked with them to get the fountain filled with greenery after the drought and cost of upkeep caused the water to be turned off. Again, the PATH station doesn't fall under any Jersey City Councilperson's jurisdiction and yet Councilwoman Lopez and made it a point of working to bring us improvements. Anyone who has issues with the PATH station or the plaza or the fountain should not be trying to make Nidia Lopez responsible for them.
It's not Nidia Lopez' fault that then Superintendent Epps took the Peter Styvesant statue off of public property. They had no business touching it in the first place. Only last night the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy announced at it's 13th Annual Awards Ceremony the base of the statue is going to be poured starting in June. Councilwoman Lopez worked for over a year with MaryAnn Kelleher and Cultural Affairs for a very long time in getting the funding for the base of the statue paid for and did a fundraiser at Dante's Restaurant on Newark Ave for it.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 14:16

Edited by JCCheerleader on 2013/5/31 14:41:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you JCCheerleader. I may disagree with you and still like Richard, but appreciate putting yourself out there in support of someone that you admire. Likewise, I hope that your neighbors and friends get involved in making Ward C prosper. At the end of the day, we all want the same thing: quality of life, an accountable city government, and good representation at the ward level.

Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
1. Councilwoman Lopez visited my block, met with my neighbors and me, and listened to all our concerns.

2. She got us a missing streetlight installed within only a couple of months (this after my neighbors had asked PSE&G to install one for years). She had overhanging tree branches that were blocking visibility trimmed.

3. She informed us of the monthly Police meeting which we were unfamiliar with. Our attendance there and making a personal appeal to the Police Captain for help with the narcotics problem got us a police car on our block every afternoon and evening during the drug dealers busiest selling time. The drug dealer moved on.

4. Councilwoman Lopez spoke with us at a subsequent meeting about getting a fire hydrant moved to allow for another parking space for us on the block and to put in more street trees and greenery. S

5. She has met with us several times to discuss The Apple Tree House, Journal Square's place in Jersey City's history, the Historic Speers Cemetery, getting more park space, and has made many introductions for us with multiple Jersey City Departments including Cultural Affairs.

6. She told us a few of the projects she is working with the community on: getting recognition for Bergen Square's place in New Jersey's history, the re-installation of the Peter Stuyvesant Statue that the Board of Ed took out without asking anyone's permission, improving the condition of the JS PATH station, and the renaming of the street corner at Vroom and Bergen Ave at the request of my neighbors who attend the large Coptic Church in the Square.

7. Additionally, Councilwoman Lopez has attended my block association meetings and offered practical advice and asked what she can do for us.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a Ward C voter. I'm glad someone started this thread to discuss the positive aspects of Nidia Lopez since there is a distinct lack of information on what she has done in the last four years and what her goals are if she gets reelected. Looking for something positive to add, I read that Lopez once had an idea of turning the unused decorative building at the PATH plaza at Journal Square into a police facility. Its that nice little building in the trees there right alongside the sidewalk on JFK Blvd. and its not being used for much as far as I can see. I think having a police presence right at that location is a good idea. I wonder why nothing was ever done with this idea.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
This has not been my experience with her. My neighbors and I have been asking her for assistance in getting a stop sign put in for years. It finally got put in after nearly four years of requests, except no one bothered to paint the line on the pavement so it is completely useless. Even the cops blow through it. She has been asked about getting it completed but seems completely useless in having any power to actually get it done. On top of all this, the last time she came to visit our building (to campaign with Fulop), rather than look for parking like the rest of us normal citizens have to, she illegally parked on the sidewalk, in a no parking area, for two hours right at the intersection where we need this stop sign addressed!

She seems to be good at smiling and telling us what we want to hear, but I have found her very ineffective in actually taking action.

I am glad you have had better results, but I voted for Boggiano (the only non-Fulop choice I made) and plan to vote for him again in the runoff.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
LOL!

Posted on: 2013/5/31 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
She's Batgirl.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 10:22

Why I Like Councilwoman Nidia Lopez
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Since another post on this site seems mean spirited about what Councilwoman Lopez has done in Journal Square, I'm starting this new thread for persons who have positive things to say about Councilwoman Lopez. I will start.
When my block received no positive results from the Police Dept about a drug dealer doing business on my block, Councilwoman Lopez visited my block, met with my neighbors and me, and listened to all our concerns. She asked us what she could do for us. She listened to us and then took action. She got us a missing streetlight installed within only a couple of months (this after my neighbors had asked PSE&G to install one for years). She had overhanging tree branches that were blocking visibility trimmed. She informed us of the monthly Police meeting which we were unfamiliar with. Our attendance there and making a personal appeal to the Police Captain for help with the narcotics problem got us a police car on our block every afternoon and evening during the drug dealers busiest selling time. The drug dealer moved on.
Additionally, Councilwoman Lopez spoke with us at a subsequent meeting about getting a fire hydrant moved to allow for another parking space for us on the block and to put in more street trees and greenery. She researched how to get it done. She has met with us several times to discuss The Apple Tree House, Journal Square's place in Jersey City's history, the Historic Speers Cemetery, getting more park space, and has made many introductions for us with multiple Jersey City Departments including Cultural Affairs. She told us a few of the projects she is working with the community on: getting recognition for Bergen Square's place in New Jersey's history, the reinstallation of the Peter Stuyvesant Statue that the Board of Ed took out without asking anyone's permission, improving the condition of the JS PATH station, and the renaming of the street corner at Vroom and Bergen Ave. at the request of my neighbors who attend the large Coptic Church in the Square. Additionally, Councilwoman Lopez has attended my block association meetings and offered practical advice and asked what she can do for us.
I have never endorsed or campaigned for anyone running for public office in Jersey City until now. I am confident that based upon my personal dealings with Councilwoman Lopez and the action she has taken on my behalf and my neighbors that she is an excellent choice for Councilperson in Journal Square and I truly hope she wins again.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 6:06

Re: What has Nidia Lopez accomplished in Ward C?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users
SOS - I offered to meet my opponent at a time and place of her choosing with an independent moderator and she did not accept. It's pretty clear at this point she will grasp for any excuse to avoid showing up to a debate.

I don't know if she thinks she will look bad in comparison to me or if she simply doesn't want to have to answer to her constituents, but her behavior of avoidance is very similar to the candidates on Healy's slate with thin resumes.

Here's an article referencing my debate offer back on May 16:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... il_candidate_in_jers.html

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to the council meeting to ask Ms. Lopez if she would attend the debate. She never responded to my 2 letters, one regular mail and the other certified mail. The Councilwoman said she will not attend but did not say why. As a reminder, the debate is Friday at 7:00 for both Wards C and D at St. Anne's in the Heights.

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. Perhaps Nidia thinks she has it in the bag hanging on the coatails of Fulop's ticket. I just hope the bag is mixed when it comes to the final council members.

I'm not going to defend Nidia and I don't vote in Ward C. But why would anyone in their right mind participate in a debate hosted by an organizer - Yvonne - that has already come out publicly in favor of the opposition? It is unfortunate that an unbiased organization didn't host the debate. If you watch the council meetings on cable or in person, you'll see that Yvonne can be ill prepared, uninformed, and incorrect most of the time in her assumptions. Even though she is a discombobulated mess, I give her credit for at least trying. But she has no business hosting a debate.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heights Brat! Good to see you are back in the discussion, however briefly. I still think it would be great if you could say something positive about Mrs. Lopez. As a person who appears to be supporting Mrs. Lopez (or at least you are apparently in opposition to those who do not) Could you take some time to briefly say ANYTHING positive about Nidia Lopez? As the only person in this discussion who appears to be in favor of Mrs. Lopez, could you say anything substantive about why Lopez is the right person for the job?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I went to the council meeting to ask Ms. Lopez if she would attend the debate. She never responded to my 2 letters, one regular mail and the other certified mail. The Councilwoman said she will not attend but did not say why. As a reminder, the debate is Friday at 7:00 for both Wards C and D at St. Anne's in the Heights.

It is better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. Perhaps Nidia thinks she has it in the bag hanging on the coatails of Fulop's ticket. I just hope the bag is mixed when it comes to the final council members.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 11:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCHOPESPRINGSET wrote:
I must ask you what part of the statement is untrue. She didn't even live here. She was not involved in many actions for the good of the home owning citizens.

Under her stewardship she voted for Vega as a loyalist endorsing corruption, as we all know that the abatements were for sale to the rich and paid for by our high taxes.

Maybe you take umbrage with McCann's comments he sold 44 acres of JC waterfront property (owned by the pension fund) for $10,000.00 per acre to Mocco. Mocco's personal check bounced. 2 years later it was assessed for over 1 million dollars per acre, while the pension fund of the true hard working J.C. workers was decimated.

Please let me know where I am wrong, I will give you the dates and articles run in the Jersey Journal when they were still properly staffed to do proper investigative reporting.

Please furnish.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the council meeting to ask Ms. Lopez if she would attend the debate. She never responded to my 2 letters, one regular mail and the other certified mail. The Councilwoman said she will not attend but did not say why. As a reminder, the debate is Friday at 7:00 for both Wards C and D at St. Ann's in the Heights.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heights Brat I see that you are a Nidia Lopez supporter, thats great! This thread has been missing input from people that support Mrs. Lopez. Could you please say a few words about why you like her, what you feel she has done right in the past and what you think she will do if she is elected? You see, I don't think you can have a decent debate if we don't know what she stands for and I think this would be a great opportunity for Nidia Lopez's message to be heard.ieghts Brat, put aside all the mudslinging you have had to deal with and just tell us something nice about Nidia Lopez!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

I understand that politics breeds strange bedfellows. I live in Ward E and voted for the entire Fulop ticket but honestly putting Ms Lopez on his ticket was a stain on his candidacy IMHO.

I'm with you on this one. my support for Fulop does not extend to this choice. At all.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 21:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
I must ask you what part of the statement is untrue. She didn't even live here. She was not involved in many actions for the good of the home owning citizens.

Under her stewardship she voted for Vega as a loyalist endorsing corruption, as we all know that the abatements were for sale to the rich and paid for by our high taxes.

Maybe you take umbrage with McCann's comments he sold 44 acres of JC waterfront property (owned by the pension fund) for $10,000.00 per acre to Mocco. Mocco's personal check bounced. 2 years later it was assessed for over 1 million dollars per acre, while the pension fund of the true hard working J.C. workers was decimated.

Please let me know where I am wrong, I will give you the dates and articles run in the Jersey Journal when they were still properly staffed to do proper investigative reporting.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCHOPESPRINGSET wrote:
I am a Fulop supporter, I am very optimistic about our cities future with Fulop as our steward. Yet the truth is the truth she was just like the Democratic club we voted out. Her husband was a councilman with Mccann.

She was a dependable Healy/Gaughan vote who aided and abetted the corruption that existed in our city for the last four years.

Now she looks to bring the likes of McCann who also plundered our city. in too many ways to mention.

His character is best displayed by his loss as mayor of JC': the urinating on the carpets in Jersey Cities Mayoral and secreteries offices, the "poop left in the desk that was found once they got the crazy glued office doors opened, and the desks locks were pried opened. If these are the selections brought into we have little hope.

Our city has been since the first mayor of J.C. plundered from the outsiders of JC for themselves at our expense as our valuable assets are stolen for the benefit of a few. Just as any war will plunder a countries assets only no guns are needed uinder our Democratic system.

Once again you do what lowlife trolls do - skew the truth for your own warped agenda. Are you one of the Healyites facing the reality that you might have to do honest work?

We get it, you have a hard on for Nidia but changing the names when there are enough people around who know the truth just makes you what we know you are - a bad joke.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Forget her husband...She committed tax and insurance fraud. Just because she never properly suffered the legal consequences doesn't mean she didn't do it. It is a matter of public record.

I don't know if her opponent has any skeletons in his closet but I do know that he served his country as a Marine in Vietnam. He served as police officer in Jersey City and has made positive contributions to his community.

I understand that politics breeds strange bedfellows. I live in Ward E and voted for the entire Fulop ticket but honestly putting Ms Lopez on his ticket was a stain on his candidacy IMHO.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 16:23
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The fact is that Nidia's husband, Ben Lopez, ran with Wally Sheil in 1981 and was the only candidate to win from Sheils' ticket when Sheil lost to McCann. Ben Lopez later served as Business Administrator under Mayor Cucci from '85 to '89.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 12:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am a Fulop supporter, I am very optimistic about our cities future with Fulop as our steward. Yet the truth is the truth she was just like the Democratic club we voted out. Her husband was a councilman with Mccann.

She was a dependable Healy/Gaughan vote who aided and abetted the corruption that existed in our city for the last four years.

Now she looks to bring the likes of McCann who also plundered our city. in too many ways to mention.

His character is best displayed by his loss as mayor of JC': the urinating on the carpets in Jersey Cities Mayoral and secreteries offices, the "poop left in the desk that was found once they got the crazy glued office doors opened, and the desks locks were pried opened. If these are the selections brought into we have little hope.

Our city has been since the first mayor of J.C. plundered from the outsiders of JC for themselves at our expense as our valuable assets are stolen for the benefit of a few. Just as any war will plunder a countries assets only no guns are needed uinder our Democratic system.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 11:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCHOPESPRINGSET wrote:
Actually Nidia Lopez served an important function for the citizen's of Jersey City, N.J. We learned that taxes are much lower in Fla., She served as an impetus and driving force for Steve Fulop, (whom I have Hopeful expectations of to help our great city.

It was Ms. Lopez's abuse of the city vehicles going to fundraisers and personal functions that inspired Mayor -elect Fulop to demand J.C. logo's to be placed on all city vehicles, after her car was vandalized at one of these functions.

If we don't get sold out to the Hudson County Dems as our new leaders seek do nothing high paying jobs for themselves and family members. Hope Springs Eternal.

You Hiccup Healy Hacks are so funny. Nidia was the impetus? Not Brennan, Gaughan, Vega et al whose cars were parked in front of bars, down the shore or upstate NY for skiing? And let's not forget Ray Velasquez's BS story of how his city vehicle got stolen & was found in Brooklyn, in one piece no less, cause he put the keys of the city car in the glove box of his personal vehicle which just so happen to get broken into & was potentially going to be stolen till the keys to the city vehicle were found. Too funny.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This thread has been on JC List for a week or so now and I am surprised that I don't see supporters of Nidi Lopez here weighing in and singing her praises. She got well in excess of a thousand votes in the election, presumably out of all those people, SOME of them read JC List? Also I'm equally surprised that Nidi Lopez herself or someone from her campaign hasn't taken this opportunity to say anything about her stewardship of Ward C and what her plans are if she is reelected. Certainly people would debate her about what she has to say, but isn't that what every politician who hopes to be elected must open themselves up to? Isn't that what happens in a democracy?

Posted on: 2013/5/28 21:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor McCann (convicted felon who plundered our city like the Vikings plundered the monasteries, and the city pension funds,
always said the goal is to undercut your opponents, grabbing their base ala: Sean Connors and Ben Lopez's wife,

The goal is to win with the dumbest people you can find, so you control the council as we have The Faulkner Act, (form of Govt). Sort of the balance between Congress/Senate and Mayor.

The more self serving and dumb enough not to set personal, higher aspirations were the basis of the Machiaveli approach he used to run our city.l

Posted on: 2013/5/23 15:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually Nidia Lopez served an important function for the citizen's of Jersey City, N.J. We learned that taxes are much lower in Fla., She served as an impetus and driving force for Steve Fulop, (whom I have Hopeful expectations of to help our great city.

It was Ms. Lopez's abuse of the city vehicles going to fundraisers and personal functions that inspired Mayor -elect Fulop to demand J.C. logo's to be placed on all city vehicles, after her car was vandalized at one of these functions.

If we don't get sold out to the Hudson County Dems as our new leaders seek do nothing high paying jobs for themselves and family members. Hope Springs Eternal.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I'm just amazed at Nidia Lopez's behavior: ..."three out of four candidates have RSVP?d yes, but not Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez who has scheduled a fundraiser the same night.".... this is the second time she's declined to take part in a debate. I think if you are already skeptical of Lopez this sort of behavior can only cement your negative opinion. If your on the fence and trying to make up your mind, a candidate that won't participate in a debate is not reaching out a hand to you. It makes me wonder what she is fundraising for? Where will she spend money on a campaign that doesn't appear to actually exist? Speaking of not being visible, who has actually SEEN Nidia Lopez in the last six months? Have any of you JClisters actually seen her? Has she appeared before the public anywhere in Jersey City lately?

It's very disappointing that Nidia isn't participating in the debate. Voters have demonstrated that they want change and not showing up to a debate is reminiscent of the Healy candidates - Epps, Richardson, Brennan, etc blowing off many and in some cases all debates.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I saw her at Sovereign Bank, on Newark Ave. downtown last week, she looked fine and was very friendly. I also needed her help with an issue at the square, she was quite responsive and very helpful. Lipski never even responded to emails.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Speaking of not being visible, who has actually SEEN Nidia Lopez in the last six months? Have any of you JClisters actually seen her? Has she appeared before the public anywhere in Jersey City lately?

Something could be afoot. Maybe someone should staple "have you seen Nidia Lopez" posters to ward c electrical poles.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm just amazed at Nidia Lopez's behavior: ..."three out of four candidates have RSVP?d yes, but not Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez who has scheduled a fundraiser the same night.".... this is the second time she's declined to take part in a debate. I think if you are already skeptical of Lopez this sort of behavior can only cement your negative opinion. If your on the fence and trying to make up your mind, a candidate that won't participate in a debate is not reaching out a hand to you. It makes me wonder what she is fundraising for? Where will she spend money on a campaign that doesn't appear to actually exist? Speaking of not being visible, who has actually SEEN Nidia Lopez in the last six months? Have any of you JClisters actually seen her? Has she appeared before the public anywhere in Jersey City lately?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/23 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
...Are you now saying Mayor - Elect Fulop has changed his mind and he no longer supports her?

Jersey City City Councilman at large Peter Brennan is bowing out of the June 11 runoff election.
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
updated May 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

...the mayor-elect said his No. 1 priority between now and June 11 is getting his allies on the nine-member council.

?We?re not going to leave anybody behind,? Fulop said.

link

SOS, for the poster who this was intended for got my point. Don't beat a dead horse, I have no doubts he will stand behind his original ticket.

How many more days until you go into political hibernation?

Posted on: 2013/5/20 18:50

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017