Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Chief Comey, other JCPD top brass planning to retire before Fulop takes the helm?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bradleybeachbrawl wrote:
Politicians buying votes 35 years ago.

I guess this cuts to the whole vast sewer that is gov't labor union contracts. No matter how they try and frame it as ordinary collective bargaining, it's not, it's PR theater and political muscle flexing. GM isn't afraid of losing votes when it negotiates with UAW. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but I'm with Christie on this one.

I saw something recently about how much more dangerous sanitation was than law enforcement, yet every time there's a negotiation we're reminded of the PD's "self sacrifice" being worthy of big salaries, great bennies and early retirements. LE isn't even in the top 20 of dangerous professions.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 23:12

Re: Chief Comey, other JCPD top brass planning to retire before Fulop takes the helm?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Who came up with this brilliant idea they could be banked if you didn't take them?

Politicians who wanted the police to vote for them as a block on election day.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 23:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/24 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Politicians buying votes 35 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I understand it Chief Comey and others in the JCPD negotiated the best employment contract they could get, as would any of us. And if they have put in the service, they're entitled to the benefits. Save your anger for the prior administrations that offered the contracts, and the voting machine that put those administrations in place.

I liked Steve's comment: "those who were appointed through politics, will likely be removed through politics". No point in squabbling over the mistakes of the prior admins. We can thank these guys for their service to JC, and move forward

Posted on: 2013/5/22 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've got 2 questions:

Why are they getting paid for 30 year old days at their current salary? Even their rate at the time x CPI is probably significantly less, since now they're senior management not junior officers.

Why is there this system to begin with? Most civilian jobs you get a salary, and a number of sick and vacation days you can take off before you get docked. Who came up with this brilliant idea they could be banked if you didn't take them?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The city bonded Dec 2010 - $9,300,000 and Dec 2011 - $9,500,000 for terminal leave.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The countless times Comey could be seen beached in front of Erie Street headquarters, ignoring car after car as they blew through the stop sign at Bay Street, surely should count as vacation days taken?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they are being paid by the company who requires their presence at the site. There is a lottery to receive these OT hours. Fulop plans to incentivize the cops who are willing to do real police work, rather than those who sit behind a desk all day during a cushy shift time, by having them be the ones who get first crack at these easy OT hours. You do the night shift on the beat in Ward F, you get this OT. You sit at a desk in HQ Monday to Friday 9-5... no dice.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Any chance Fulop will put a stop to JCPD officers collecting overtime by sitting on a quite, already blocked off side street, like Princeton Avenue, protecting nothing at all? The only time I've seen police doing this for construction, underground work or road work in any other city is on a busy street. This is an obscene waste of taxpayer dollars.

I hope that when we see police officers at a construction site, they are on "paid detail" getting paid by the construction company, not by our tax dollars.

"Paid detail" has its problems, including a significant risk of corruption. Here is an interesting report on an investigation into paid detail problems in New Orleans.

I haven't found any regulations or guidance on paid detail practices in JC or in NJ generally.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On a side note is the ordinance forbidding consorting with known Italians still on the books?

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Caj11 - Thanks for posting the ordinance. I was worried that a residency requirement would have to start from scratch in the council. If we have one already all that really needs to be done is to enforce it.

Regarding the union contracts. I'm not a contract law expert, but I think there is a general principle that you cannot contractually obligate someone to violate a standing law or regulation. That said, it's hard to believe there's a provision in the contract specifically allowing city employees to live outside the city, since that would be illegal. On the other hand, there probably is a provision which requires them to comply with all laws and ordinances in general, which would appear to include 53-2. So, any city employee living outside the city is both breaking the law and in possibly in breach of their contract.

Any administration that seriously wants public servants to live in the city should have no problem upholding this, at least with upper management. Farther down, you run into affordability and possible strike issues. That's another ball of wax.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 20:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is a joke. How about a use them or lose them policy? Being able to cash out hundreds of days is basically a golden parachute.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I saw one of Healy's cronies today at Target. He is an ex-Detective and still on the payroll in some capacity of City Government. He is one of the guys I see at White Star drinking with other cronies. He was shopping and I had to laugh and point him out to my wife as he had a mini-surfboard under his arm. I said to her "I guess he's preparing for his retirement."

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
This time I think we need to pass a requirement that the Chief of Police actually live in the city he/she is tasked with protecting. We've got no more use for officials who use the city as an ATM but don't really care how safe or clean it is because they and their families don't live here.

There IS such a requirement in the municipal code already, Healy chose not to enforce it. I called the Corporation Counsel's office myself about it, and they said, well, we don't enforce that city ordinance because the public sector employee unions gave us a hard time about it when we were negotiating a new contract with them. I didn't think to ask at the time that the Police Chief and Fire Chief probably don't belong to any union since they are technically management, but maybe I should have.

It is municipal code section 53-2:

? 53-2. - Domicile as condition of employment. [Added 6-9-2010 by Ord. No. 10-078]

A. All Employees, as a condition of their employment, shall maintain a bona fide domicile in the City of Jersey City during the period of their employment. Domicile means the permanent place of abode within the meaning, intent and scope of the New Jersey Statutes and court decisions governing and defining "domicile." It shall also mean the permanent abode which the Employee occupies with his or her spouse and minor children.

B. All Employees shall file with the Division of Personnel an affidavit setting forth the following:

(1) the address and telephone number of the Employees' bona fide domicile; and

(2) the address and telephone number of the Employees' spouse and minor children.

Of course, Healy is already known for being above other laws, so it would be hypocritical of him to expect his own colleagues to obey the law as well.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Honestly, I'd be happy if just the leadership had to live here. Guy making $187,000 plus massive benefits does not need any kind of public assistance to live in JC.

Why not, the chief in Hoboken makes that and lives in subsidized housing! There's no end to comforting the comfortable around here.

I don't know why the question about making contractors hire off duty cops got diverted into securing transit stations. Complete non-sequiter.

I think there's no reason in the world these guys should be able to cash out these days in a lump sum, they should get them at the rate they accumulated them, over the next 30 years.

As for residency requirements, oh no, that's against union rules! As is most common sense. I once asked a captain "since summer is the highest crime period why is it that 1/5 of the PD is on vacation at any given time?" It's in the Contract.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Residency requirement for appointed positions are included in Fulop's police plan.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly, I'd be happy if just the leadership had to live here. Guy making $187,000 plus massive benefits does not need any kind of public assistance to live in JC.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
This time I think we need to pass a requirement that the Chief of Police actually live in the city he/she is tasked with protecting. We've got no more use for officials who use the city as an ATM but don't really care how safe or clean it is because they and their families don't live here.

Agreed. They should offer some type of local JC housing for all JC public servants.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Any chance Fulop will put a stop to JCPD officers collecting overtime by sitting on a quite, already blocked off side street, like Princeton Avenue, protecting nothing at all? The only time I've seen police doing this for construction, underground work or road work in any other city is on a busy street. This is an obscene waste of taxpayer dollars.

Sorry but Danforth, Richard and Garfield lightrails stations pay for police through grant monies from Homeland Security. These stations will always have police presence its not a JC thing its a federal thing.

You're telling me they paid to repair the sewers on Princeton?

If its anywhere near the lightrail station, then Yes. Homeland security treats any where near a lightrail station as a high risk area and its surroundings.

It was three blocks away. That's not very near. Some are even less near.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City Independent:
Mayor-Elect Fulop Says Mass Retirement of Police Brass Could Cost City $5 Million; Says City Will Audit Unused Compensation Day Claims

By Matt Hunger ? May 22nd, 2013

Mayor-elect Steve Fulop has a list of 27 names who have put in their papers for early retirement starting on June 1 and going through the end of the year, including that of Police Chief Tom Comey and three of his deputy chiefs, with an estimated payout of $5 million in unused compensation days.

?The fact that Chief Comey and his friends in the police department are putting in for retirement just days after the mayor lost the election demonstrates how the Healy police department is more concerned with their cushy office jobs than protecting the public,? Fulop said in a statement. ?We have a public safety crisis and yet these officers are putting their own personal financial interests ahead of public safety and certainly ahead of the taxpayers. I am beyond outraged. I am disgusted.?

Indeed, there have been a series of shootings over the past few weeks, a problem that could be exacerbated by the uncertainty that comes with mass turnover in a department.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill confirmed these findings, saying that ?According to applications submitted to the state Police and Firemen?s Retirement System, which the city was able to confirm today, 25 officers have applied for retirement for the months of June, July and August.?

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -compensation-day-claims/

Posted on: 2013/5/22 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/22 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor-elect says 'mass retirement' of police brass will cost taxpayers

Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City is facing a ?mass retirement? of high-ranking police officials, according to Mayor-elect Steve Fulop, who announced today he plans to conduct a ?full audit? of requested payouts of unused sick days for retiring officers.

City officials are tight-lipped about who is retiring, but two sources with knowledge of the situation say Chief Tom Comey and Deputy Chiefs Hugh Donaghue, Robert Kilduff and Peter Nalbach have all indicated they plan to retire June 1, a full month before Fulop assumes the mayoralty.

One of the sources says the number of retirements is at least 15, but could reach into the 20s.

Comey, who has worked for the city since February 1981, is expected upon retirement to receive a large payout for his unused sick and vacation days, known as terminal leave.

City officials have refused to estimate the payouts before they are awarded, but one of the sources who confirmed the retirements said Nalbach's is close to $600,000.

Citing a recent spate of shootings that has wounded at least four and claimed the lives of two, including a 12-year-old boy, Fulop said he is outraged by officers ?putting their own personal financial interests ahead of public safety.?

"The fact that Chief Comey and his friends in the police department are putting in for retirement just days after the mayor lost the election demonstrates how the Healy police department is more concerned with their cushy office jobs than protecting the public,? Fulop said in a statement from his campaign.

Comey, who could not immediately be reached to comment, is an ally of Mayor Jerramiah Healy. Fulop defeated Healy in the May 14 mayoral race after an often nasty campaign in which Fulop alleged the city isn?t as safe as Healy claims.

After Healy conceded the race to Fulop last Tuesday, Comey walked out of the campaign headquarters with the mayor.

In 2011, Comey received an $11,604 payout in exchange for 25 unused accumulated time, and in 2010, he netted $14,892.39 for 28 unused vacation days.

Technically, police employees don?t receive sick days, they receive compensatory days that, like vacation days, can be accumulated and cashed in when they retire.

Jersey City in recent years has paid out big bucks in terminal-leave payouts, budgeting $3.8 million last year and $1.9 million the year before. The most recent contract between the city and police officers eliminate the perk for newer employees.

The Jersey Journal filed a public-records request seeking documents that show how many comp/vacation days the four officials named above have coming to them. At the end of 2011, the last time the paper made such a request, Nalbach had a whopping 544 days owed to him, Kilduff had 284 and Donaghue had 213. Comey?s accumulated time was not listed on the documents.

Nalbach, hired in September 1976, earned a $176,109 salary last year. Kilduff, hired in February 1981, and Donaghue, on the force since July 1985, each made $170,366.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Sorry but Danforth, Richard and Garfield lightrails stations pay for police through grant monies from Homeland Security. These stations will always have police presence its not a JC thing its a federal thing.

If its anywhere near the lightrail station, then Yes. Homeland security treats any where near a lightrail station as a high risk area and its surroundings.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Standing next to Healy, Comey didn't look nearly as colossal as he would standing next to Fulop. Time to move on.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/22 9:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
These so-called top brass are nothing more then self-serving, money grabbing individuals that had little concern for the safety and welfare of JC residents. I bet we will uncover graft and corruption within the JCPD and Cityhall. I'd like to see an immediate review of Healy's family members that joined the emergency services - We know one that failed his psycho test, but was accept into the fire department with Healy's influence.
I'd love to see an audit done on the JCPA, as they too have had some questionable activity during Healy's administration.

We should also do a crime audit to see what's really happening on our streets.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 6:41

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/5/22 7:00:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Great news for Team FUlop I would think! Maybe we'll actually get better quality & more thorough policing this way.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
This is great news! Comey is as much a joke as Healy! Jersey City might as well be Springfield!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_Quimby

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Clancy_Wiggum

Posted on: 2013/5/22 3:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Excuse my mistakes when posting on this board as I am not familiar with the mechanics as far as replying to specific quotes etc.

@Brewster, I do not have any first hand knowledge of the Hoboken incident regarding the Chief so I cannot comment.

I do know that the Jersey City Police Department is in for a major overhaul from the top down. Whether or not personnel agree is irrelevant as Mayor Fulop's policing plan will be implemented beginning on July 1st. This is a fact.

There is no downside to any part of this plan. In the age of Laser surgery the current "leaders" believe leech therapy is working just fine. This philosophy is obsolete and decapitating the leadership is the only course of action followed by the installation of forward thinking commanders who will be held responsible for results. Decentralizing the command structure and allowing district commanders the freedom to improvise and adapt to specific problems can only have positive results.

A national search for a new Chief is unnecessary because we have the perfect man for the job right here in Jersey City. I choose not to mention any names as it would give the appearance of lobbying but I do believe Mayor Fulop will make the correct decision when appointing a new Chief.

This is a fact. There are cops and bosses who are absolutely terrified of what's just over the horizon and others who are chomping at the bit for true leadership.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/22 2:37

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017