Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Ex-mayor McCann's letter: Fact-checking Healy's boasts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
it's pretty funny that people on this board are praising a criminal....

Posted on: 2013/5/22 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
He still wrote a good letter.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 5:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
McCann Letter: Most in office opposed Fulop's successful mayoral bid

By Letters to the Editor/The Jersey Journal
on May 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In 1981, when I was elected mayor in a runoff election and defeated the Hudson County and Jersey City Democratic organizations, it was considered a major upset. The election Tuesday of our next Mayor Steven Fulop is by far more remarkable than my accomplishment.

First, he did it on the first ballot. I am sure that on the next election, he will carry the rest of his team.

What Mayor Fulop did, though, far surpassed my victory. He had to overcome the endorsement of the most recently elected president of the United States. I was fortunate to have the support, although not the endorsement, of President Ronald Reagan. Jersey City, that had overwhelmingly supported President Barack Obama, had less than six months later to reverse course and support Steven Fulop. I know that Mayor Fulop was a very early supporter of President Obama and held campaign rallies for his election. The other side labeled him a Republican with stickers the night before the election. They made false claims about his career in finance and about his campaign contributors. They labeled him an outsider although he has lived here for 12 years.

Mayor Steven Fulop faced down the endorsements of the Hudson County Democratic Organization and its chairman, Mayor Mark Smith of Bayonne. He was opposed by the Jersey City Democratic Organization and its chairman, Freeholder Jeff Dublin. The mayors of New York (Bloomberg), Newark (Booker) and Boston (Menino) as well as the Democratic nominee for governor, a Democratic senator from Middlesex County, threw their support against our mayor-elect. He was opposed by Congressmen Sires, Pallone, Pascrell and Senator Lautenberg. Freeholder Rivera, Assemblymen Mainor and O'Donnell, both representing Jersey City, rejected Mayor Fulop.

Finally he was enthusiastically opposed by the teachers, police and firemen of Jersey City and all of the municipal unions in Jersey City. I am sure the crying has just begun about their sacrifices.

Mayor Steven Fulop had only his desire and hard work to offset all of their combined support against him. He had one other tough great supporter. He had the citizens of Jersey City. As he said at his victory party, he had a democracy of the people to support his election.

God bless Mayor Fulop and his many, many supporters. God bless Jersey City and its very wise voters.

FORMER MAYOR GERALD McCANN
JERSEY CITY

Interesting, I was just reading a article about the ex mayor McCann, which is a pretty good read.

That Felon Inspecting Trash? He Used to Be Mayor

Posted on: 2013/5/21 10:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
That was a smackdown.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 10:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
McCann Letter: Most in office opposed Fulop's successful mayoral bid

on May 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

In 1981, when I was elected mayor in a runoff election and defeated the Hudson County and Jersey City Democratic organizations, it was considered a major upset. The election Tuesday of our next Mayor Steven Fulop is by far more remarkable than my accomplishment.

First, he did it on the first ballot. I am sure that on the next election, he will carry the rest of his team.

What Mayor Fulop did, though, far surpassed my victory. He had to overcome the endorsement of the most recently elected president of the United States. I was fortunate to have the support, although not the endorsement, of President Ronald Reagan. Jersey City, that had overwhelmingly supported President Barack Obama, had less than six months later to reverse course and support Steven Fulop. I know that Mayor Fulop was a very early supporter of President Obama and held campaign rallies for his election. The other side labeled him a Republican with stickers the night before the election. They made false claims about his career in finance and about his campaign contributors. They labeled him an outsider although he has lived here for 12 years.

Mayor Steven Fulop faced down the endorsements of the Hudson County Democratic Organization and its chairman, Mayor Mark Smith of Bayonne. He was opposed by the Jersey City Democratic Organization and its chairman, Freeholder Jeff Dublin. The mayors of New York (Bloomberg), Newark (Booker) and Boston (Menino) as well as the Democratic nominee for governor, a Democratic senator from Middlesex County, threw their support against our mayor-elect. He was opposed by Congressmen Sires, Pallone, Pascrell and Senator Lautenberg. Freeholder Rivera, Assemblymen Mainor and O'Donnell, both representing Jersey City, rejected Mayor Fulop.

Finally he was enthusiastically opposed by the teachers, police and firemen of Jersey City and all of the municipal unions in Jersey City. I am sure the crying has just begun about their sacrifices.

Mayor Steven Fulop had only his desire and hard work to offset all of their combined support against him. He had one other tough great supporter. He had the citizens of Jersey City. As he said at his victory party, he had a democracy of the people to support his election.

God bless Mayor Fulop and his many, many supporters. God bless Jersey City and its very wise voters.

FORMER MAYOR GERALD McCANN
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/5/21 2:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Nice!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
YES! This is great!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Well said Gerry!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Imaginary credit for things Healy hasn't done. Thank you Mr. McCann.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 8:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Imaginary parks??

Posted on: 2013/5/12 2:33

Ex-mayor McCann's letter: Fact-checking Healy's boasts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Ex-mayor McCann's letter: Fact-checking Healy's boasts

May 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

With all due respect to Mayor Jerramiah Healy, he did not build the first five parks in the last 100 years. During my administration, the park at Exchange Place, J. Owen Grundy, was designed, built and opened. The Caven Point facility that is one of the most used parks in Jersey City was designed, built and opened. I also funded the recreational facility in front of the gym at St. Peter's Prep High School. We also designed, built and opened the ice skating rink and swimming pool at Pershing Field.

At my urging and influence, my administration enabled St. Peter's College to develop the western part of Lincoln Park along with my brother Tom, the Hudson County Parks director, for over 30 years. I was also mayor when we paid for the construction of the Boys Club on Grand Street that also opened during my administration. The park at Claremont Cove was also designed and built during my administration and the Smith administration at the foot of Essex Street on city-owned property. I also was able to get the Liberty Science Center built in Jersey City after we donated the city-owned land to it to lure them here.

Finally, the river walk at Liberty State Park, the Environmental Center, the restoration of Ellis Island and Liberty Park while I served on the National Commission appointed by President Ronald Reagan (Morris Pesin was my designated representative) were again done during my tenure in office.

I have noticed that after nine years in office, one park has just started construction on Garfield Avenue, and for that I applaud you. I am not sure what parks you are referring to, but would like to enjoy them if you could point them out to me. If you are referring to imaginary parks, let me know that also because I do not want to get lost.

Also, I understand that you were taking credit for the park at Essex Street. The park was built over 20 years before that. You might not remember it because you did not live there, but the boat club previously occupied the property illegally. I tore down the boat club and built a park. I might note that the LeFrak Organization did build a new park along Washington Street. I did not take credit for the parks and recreational facilities built at Society Hill, Port Liberte, Liberty Harbor, etc. because they were part of the planned development that we approved during my administration. I might want to point out that the parks within Newport were part of the planned development when my administration sold the property to the LeFrak Organization.
As a councilman, I voted on at least five new parks built during the Thomas Smith administration, and I know of parks built and improved during the Bret Schundler administration. There were many parks built during the Paul Jordan administration. It is probably because you are not from Jersey City that you did not notice them being built.
You noted these as your major accomplishments. I do not blame you for the murders in Jersey City nor do I credit you for the murders that never occurred. The crime of murder is very difficult to eliminate since most murders are personal and may occur in the act of another crime. Murder was down all over the United States. I am not going to give you credit for that, either. The murder rate is up over last year and I do not blame you. As far as buying back the guns, we do not know where they came from (Jersey City or wherever), but I applaud you for initiation of the program. While you have replaced police officers who have retired, stating that you hired over 300 police officers might be misleading. It also goes to the fact that more police left the department during your tenure in office than most other mayors for the past 50 years. Some might criticize you for police no longer wanting to work for you. Some others might point out that you rehired more police into civilian jobs than any mayor in history, giving them a full-time job that could have been filled by someone else.

They now collect a pension from the city and still work full-time from the taxpayers dollar.
GERALD McCANN
FORMER MAYOR

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... _fact-c.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/5/12 1:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact