Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Time to grow your own fig tree!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Count me in too. I'd like a cutting.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
count me in on the cuttings front! Thank you for sharing your bounty and creating this thread.

People like you are one key reason why it's so wonderful to be a part of JC's diverse community!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

HPYC: I really don't know. Would you bring it in or leave it out for winter? I sure wouldn't try anything smaller than a whisky barrel.

I have a square 24x24x36h container made of PT 2x4 lumber, lined with landscape fabric. There is an identical one in the yard with a Crape Myrtle in it. I was worried about the crape not coming back this spring, but it is budding right now. Both planters are shielded from wind by the patio fence.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Our fig tree has been yielding tons of fig for the last 30 years at least. It is not near any building or windbreak of any type. It has survived all kinds of weather & conditions & has bore fruit every single year except for one.

Funny, since we didn't know what it was (some 30+ years ago), when we redid our yard it was literally uprooted, tossed to the side & ignored. A couple of years later - MAMMA MIA! It seems fig trees spread almost bush like if not pruned, etc. The result is several trees up to 15' tall that take up a whole corner of the yard. What a pure delight to go out & pick those lucious pieces of fruit first thing in the morning.

YUM!

What likely happened was a branch lay on the ground and rooted, done deliberately it's called "layering". These things are insanely vigorous, you could cut it to the ground and you'd still have fruit that year! Until the birds find your tree of course.

I guess I was wrong about 2005 being universally bad. Mine in the Heights died back, as did the forest of figs in a yard that backs on the Hoboken Synagogue and several friends.

I'm working on a cutting distribution method. Stay tuned.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Our fig tree has been yielding tons of fig for the last 30 years at least. It is not near any building or windbreak of any type. It has survived all kinds of weather & conditions & has bore fruit every single year except for one.

Funny, since we didn't know what it was (some 30+ years ago), when we redid our yard it was literally uprooted, tossed to the side & ignored. A couple of years later - MAMMA MIA! It seems fig trees spread almost bush like if not pruned, etc. The result is several trees up to 15' tall that take up a whole corner of the yard. What a pure delight to go out & pick those lucious pieces of fruit first thing in the morning.

YUM!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Would love to try, if you still have any?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/13 2:24
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. I am interested in getting one of your fig trees. Please let me know if you are going to leave some with the vendors today. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/1 20:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Our imperturbable fig lives in the ground along the fence (not near a building wall), alive and happy in the face of disease, cold winters and severe trimming. It's a giving tree for sure.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
How would they do in a container?

I have one in a self-watering container I build out of some schedule 40 PVC and a plastic container / tub from Home Depot. It did very well this year, but got cold shocked in October (it is not a hardy variety as Brewster described). It came back as soon as I bought it indoors. I kept it going through the winter with the other plants using some T-5 lights hung from the ceiling.

The next large plant or tree I grow, I am going to try out one of these pots:

http://www.superoots.com/

Posted on: 2013/5/1 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Brewster - I was told that in this climate I'd need to plant very close to the back wall of my house so that the tree would have the extra warmth coming from the house - is that correct in your experience.

Nope, not at all. Like I said, at least our local variety is far hardier than the usual.

HPYC: I really don't know. Would you bring it in or leave it out for winter? I sure wouldn't try anything smaller than a whisky barrel.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How would they do in a container?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 16:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
A good friend has a large fig tree that did just fine in the winter of 2005. It is planted next to his house, and it's not a very windy spot with good southern sun, so all that may have helped.

As a general rule, the ficus family is hardy and will largely take care of themselves. Some care helps the trees do well and increases fig production. And the figs are wonderful!

Posted on: 2013/5/1 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Brewster - I was told that in this climate I'd need to plant very close to the back wall of my house so that the tree would have the extra warmth coming from the house - is that correct in your experience.

If you do bring cuttings to a farmers' market, please let me know.

thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/1 16:01

Time to grow your own fig tree!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
As I pruned my fig tree, I thought it's a shame to throw away all these cuttings, each of which can easily be rooted into several trees. I think many folks here don't know, unlike the southern European immigrants of the early 20th century, just how easy it is to root figs and have your own tree in your garden.

Not only that, but I have a theory that the hardy local variety found throughout JC & Hoboken was the result of a practical darwinism among all the varieties that must have been tried by the immigrants, some of whom actually came with dormant cuttings from home. If you read about wintering figs in the north, people do all sorts of heroic measures like wrapping them or burying them. Ours do just fine left alone in a normal winter, though in 2005 winter killed back every fig in the area. But they all came back strongly from their roots.

My tree is only 5 years old, but it's trunk is 5" in diameter, and grows from head high to >12' every year. I get so much fruit the kids can't keep up with eating them and I dry them.

So, read up, http://figs4fun.com/basics_Rooting.html, and steal some cuttings from a neighbor! Or ask him, or me. Maybe I'll bring a whole bunch down to the Grove Plaza and see if one of the vendors will distribute them.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 14:46

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017