Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Rash of Suspected Feral Cat Poisoning in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Not a poisoning, but one poor kitty lost his life yesterday morning after being hit by a car on Erie Street just before Third Street. I came across the scene shortly after it happened and a good neighbor was directing cars around the body.

I don't know if it was a house cat or a feral, but it was very sad to see. Rest in peace, kitty.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 15:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/2 4:40
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the update! :)

Posted on: 2013/5/2 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
The man who's dog died is in touch with Animal Control. It turns out that the dog's death is not associated with the suspected cat poisoning. His vet has confirmed that it was another issue, perhaps recalled dog food or salmonella, which caused this unfortunate occurrence. Obviously, the poor man is upset and emotional and until he knew the root cause for sure, I don't blame him for his suspicions.

That said, no need to panic, but just be careful when out with your dog or kids in not letting them eat or touch food or trash on the ground. Most people have this common sense, of course. Be awareness never hurts. And if you see any cat food out in a publicly accessible area around the Wayne st. area, please throw it out. Better safe than sorry.

A long-term plan to get these cats fixed is underway, but bear in mind it takes a little time. Please be patient.

Thanks, neighbors.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I also had a facebook friend post about being approached by a man when she was with her dog, who showed her pictures of his pet he felt was poisoned and warning her to be careful. If anyone knows who this man is and can encourage him to report his experience that would give all of this some credence.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OK that's not me. Phew. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, Kit V. reported actually speaking the the man who's dog was allegedly poisoned (per the post I saw on FB). I am trying to reach her to get more facts and to try to get in touch with the man/dog owner directly so we can get to the bottom of this.

I will report findings to Robin/AC, of course.

In the meantime, let's not panic. Let's just be careful and vigilante out there, folks. Informed and careful is better than uninformed, right?

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No. But I know someone passed the info along to their friends and so I'm just the start. This is a big small town. Then again it's not unheard of for more than one person to do the same dopey thing.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is your name Kit V? As that's where I heard the report - from a mutual friend of ours. Just want to clarify.

Mistakes happen. We were still concerned, even before the dog report.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I feel terrible, I was just freaked out and wanted to warn friends and instead started an internet rumor. Completely horrifying despite being well intended. I'm so sorry that an officer was sent out.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, thank you. Again - we're not trying to create hysteria, but people need to be vigilant and more investigation needs to happen. If someone(s) is out to harm animals, we just want people to be aware and watchful.

A few of the dead cats are cats we know well and they seemed to drop rather suddenly, which is one of the main reasons we're suspicious, in addition to a few odd conversations over-heard on the block. We acknowledge we may be wrong and perhaps the animals got sick another way. But we are not ruling it out. In the meantime, awareness and vigilance is the best approach from the neighborhood, I think.

Robin - I'll call you tomorrow. Thank you.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 2:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So I'm thinking I might have started the dog rumor after conversations in the dog park. Please disregard the dog rumor I'm kind of mortified.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the thread on JCList today and started looking into this immediately.

From April 12th through April 25th Animal Control was called for a total of 4 dead cats in a two block radius. One was badly decomposed and may have been there for a few weeks. Three of the dead cats showed no visible signs of poisoning ie: foam around the mouth, blood on the mouth or nostrils, or any trauma that indicates they were hit by a car.

Today we heard there was a person telling people a dog died from poisoning and there were no calls to Animal Control about this. We spoke with all the local vet hospitals and they had no cases of any dogs or cats dying or sick from suspected poisoning. We asked one of our officers to go down to Wayne Street and the Animal Control Officer could not find anyone that heard about a dog that was sick or died. He walked from the 100 block up to Dixon Mills and back down the other side.

We are keeping an eye on this, please keep us posted. You can call 201-547-4888 and ask for Joe Frank and also leave me a message at 201-547-5507.

My email is pinkowitzr@jcnj.org. All reports will be sent to the Health Officer.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 0:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/24 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
If no one has done so yet, this suspected incident should also be reported to NJSPCA as they are the state-empowered organization dedicated to prosecuting animal cruelty in NJ. You can fill out the online form located here: http://njspca.org/report-abuse.htm. Please include as much detail as possible in your report.

If any additional information about this incident is reported to LHS, we will be sure to pass it along to the Jersey City Health Department and the NJSPCA.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We are trying to get more facts, but a report among JC residents circulating on Facebook is that a man's dog died 2 days ago from ingesting poison in the Wayne st. area we are talking about here.

We're also trying to find out if this man reported this to Animal Control. Not trying to create hysteria, but please keep eyes open and a watch on your animals and children when out walking around.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Maybe it's a stretch, but has anyone verified that a poisonous plant may have been inadvertantly planted in a front yard or in a pot on a stoop.

That's not a bad point, but as far as I know, feral outdoor cats aren't drawn to eating plants. Like the title said, its "suspected" but its a strong suspicion due to the close timing of the deaths and the over-heard conversations and the suspicious nature of these.

If anyone sees food out in a publicly accessible spot in this region (Wayne b/w Barrow & Jersey), please throw it away. If you have a house cat you let outside, I'd reconsider that if you can.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Maybe it's a stretch, but has anyone verified that a poisonous plant may have been inadvertantly planted in a front yard or in a pot on a stoop.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1980 wrote:
I live on Wayne and Barrow, I let my dog out in the backyard. What would happen if she got poisoned? This is the first time I hear about this and it worries me.

I think you will be fine in your own private backyard it is the public places that are causing these incidents.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 15:18
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/14 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Wayne and Barrow, I let my dog out in the backyard. What would happen if she got poisoned? This is the first time I hear about this and it worries me.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am still working with the neighbors who all live down there and learned about this through a FB JC Feral Cat Group connection. About 10 neighbors on that block are involved and suspect the poisonings and found the dead animals. Also, when you hear people on the block talking about poisoning them (overheard), pieces start to fit together. We are all working together to get as many of these cats fixed as possible in the next few months.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative is a TNR program open to all Hudson County residents. The person in Weehawken is welcome to come to a TNR workshop and take advantage of the use of our traps and low cost ($10) spay neuter. Detail on our website www.neighborhoodferalcat.org .

Concerning Wayne street, this is an event that is just now surfacing. It is very hard to prove cats have been poisoned and that is why it is important to have first hand knowledge or be an actual witness.

There are people there now that want to safeguard the cats and Companion Animal Trust will do what it can to support this.

Quote:

triscuit12 wrote:
On a sort of related topic. Does anyone know of any TNR programs in weehawken ? I have a friend with a colony in her backyard and she has had no luck finding someone to help her catch and fix them. I'm currently helping bottle feed a baby that a mom abandoned and it breaks my heart to see these kittens born every year.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
There has been a rash of dead feral cats found on Wayne Street between Varick & Barrow Streets downtown (about 5) in the last few weeks. Poisoning is suspected as these cats dropped quickly and a few suspicious conversations have been overheard. This will not be tolerated by the residents on these blocks!

Poisoning of any animal, stray or not, is a FELONY in the state of NJ. Not only is it inhumane, its also a danger to children, dogs, and house cats that some people allow to be indoor-outdoor cats (which I don't agree with, but its a personal choice/risk). If other living beings get in the poison or are exposed to decomposing carcasses, that's a major public health issue. This crime has been reported to Animal Control and a neighborhood watch is happening. If anyone wants to join to help the watch, and the upcoming efforts to get these cats fixed, please let us know. The more eyes, the better.

We realize not everyone loves stray cats, but they are a fact of life in the urban eco-system. It is against the law to harm them in any way. The best solution for the whole community is TNR (Trap-Neuter-Release). Simply removing or euthanizing the cats does not work, as fresh new stray cats will come back into the area and take their place. Shelters have to euthanize feral cats that come in as they are not adoptable. But If you fix the cats, they stop reproducing, nuisance hormonal behaviors stop/calm down, they control the rodents, and they protect the territory from new un-fixed strays coming in.

TNR is practiced by m any volunteer groups and is a grass-roots efforts. In Jersey City, we have Companion Animal Trust, which has regular classes on how to fix and best manage these cat colonies. Please go to http://www.neighborhoodferalcat.org/ to learn more.

If you want to help fix the problem, there are a lot of ways to help, from fostering & fixing kittens, donating (it costs us $10 a cat to fix them), to offering your time to help. The work put in results in many years of kitten free blocks.

No offense to you one skirt, I actually love animals and would love to say I have 3 ferals in my yard but let's face it, they are mine at this point. (fixed, vaccinated, come in when it's cold or shiity out) didn't you move away from Wayne Street years ago, where are you getting your info from? Again no offense just confused as to where this info came from as I am friends with CAT on Facebook and have seen nothing posted. I will also poison the person I find doing this, if true, with my fist in their ass. On another note I've walked passed that part of Wayne and their are a shitload of cats, are we sure this isn't rabies or another awful disease. I hope I'm wrong on all accounts and they were all 29 year old cats.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 6:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

triscuit12 wrote:
On a sort of related topic. Does anyone know of any TNR programs in weehawken ? I have a friend with a colony in her backyard and she has had no luck finding someone to help her catch and fix them. I'm currently helping bottle feed a baby that a mom abandoned and it breaks my heart to see these kittens born every year.

You might try Hudson County Animal League under www.hcalnj.org. They handle Bayonne's TNR program, but may be able to assist with Weehawken.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 4:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/24 3:13
From Wayne Wayne Wayne
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on board, having been a cat nurturer and rescuer for a lifetime, and having seen my next-door neighbor's mother-with-litter poisoned two weeks ago. People, please help keep watch and be compassionate. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Contact us or act independently to make a difference. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 2:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:21

Rash of Suspected Feral Cat Poisoning in Downtown JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There has been a rash of dead feral cats found on Wayne Street between Varick & Barrow Streets downtown (about 5) in the last few weeks. Poisoning is suspected as these cats dropped quickly and a few suspicious conversations have been overheard. This will not be tolerated by the residents on these blocks!

Poisoning of any animal, stray or not, is a FELONY in the state of NJ. Not only is it inhumane, its also a danger to children, dogs, and house cats that some people allow to be indoor-outdoor cats (which I don't agree with, but its a personal choice/risk). If other living beings get in the poison or are exposed to decomposing carcasses, that's a major public health issue. This crime has been reported to Animal Control and a neighborhood watch is happening. If anyone wants to join to help the watch, and the upcoming efforts to get these cats fixed, please let us know. The more eyes, the better.

We realize not everyone loves stray cats, but they are a fact of life in the urban eco-system. It is against the law to harm them in any way. The best solution for the whole community is TNR (Trap-Neuter-Release). Simply removing or euthanizing the cats does not work, as fresh new stray cats will come back into the area and take their place. Shelters have to euthanize feral cats that come in as they are not adoptable. But If you fix the cats, they stop reproducing, nuisance hormonal behaviors stop/calm down, they control the rodents, and they protect the territory from new un-fixed strays coming in.

TNR is practiced by m any volunteer groups and is a grass-roots efforts. In Jersey City, we have Companion Animal Trust, which has regular classes on how to fix and best manage these cat colonies. Please go to http://www.neighborhoodferalcat.org/ to learn more.

If you want to help fix the problem, there are a lot of ways to help, from fostering & fixing kittens, donating (it costs us $10 a cat to fix them), to offering your time to help. The work put in results in many years of kitten free blocks.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 23:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017