Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Gia Gelato
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night again happened to be in the area. I had the small size peach not bad and an ample amount for $3.80. They have more abstract flavors than the usual fare so I'll have to give those a try as well.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 11:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
Their Belgium Chocolate Latte is outrageous! It was like heaven.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Great gelato and nice people. They jusy need cups with lids for to-go customers.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Well I have another reason to ride my bike here in J.C. I just wente to Gia Gelato for the first time...terrific ! I enjoyed it had the limoncello it was a perfect after dinner choice it hit the spot. They told me they close at 8pm on weekends I think weekdays as well and they open up at 7pm. I recieved the buy 10 get one free card. I really liked the decor of the place along with the wide open front. And it is more than just gelato you can see that by just walking inside. It has a very warm atmosphere, I wish them the best here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 0:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last Saturday at 8:00pm and they were still open. Maybe it was a one off.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
What is up with this place closing at 6pm on saturday and sunday? I was excited to see a gelato place so close to apt(i'm at dixon mills) now especially since my gelato go to tommy two scoops is closed for who knows how long. It was a nice day today and i ended up having to work till 6:30 to meet a deadline, came home ate dinner, and decided to take a walk over to get some gelato and enjoy the lovely weather and it was closed.

Guess the candy store on Washington is going to have to be my go to spring/summer gelato place. it's very disappointing.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 2:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/4 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
GIA HAS SPOKEN. Shut the damn door and poor some tea!!!!!!!!!!! I now love you even more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are good for the nieborhood. I send my kids after school everyday b/c its safe & they love the food. I go every weekend to get a piece of mind haha. We are proud to have you on this end of Newark Ave

Posted on: 2013/4/26 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
And ... BOOM. They just became my favorite local business. Brava, Gia Gelato (and CAFE!) :)

Posted on: 2013/4/26 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I apologize for my post on the Healy sign. It was a complete joke, but I realize it was inflammatory and unfair. Sometimes the smiley emoticon doesn't suffice.

Regardless, we are very excited to try. Welcome!

Posted on: 2013/4/26 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Bravo to Gia Gelato's response ! I will let them know in person. Sounds like a terrific establishment wish it were up in the Heights but with bike will travel.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 11:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 22:27
Group:
Registered Users
I am an owner of Gia Gelato & Caf?, and I had been alerted to this forum by a few concerned customers. While the majority of the comments on this site were constructive criticism, I was shocked and ashamed by the other negative comments because I felt we somehow failed our community. Normally, I would not respond to such negative comments, but they were so damaging that I am ethically bound to a duty to vigorously protect the integrity of my business, my staff and my customers.

First, we have never ever EVER bribed, paid off, or enter into agreement with any city official, city worker, or candidate to obtain a certificate of occupancy to expedite the opening of our establishment. We had spent too much time, money and aggravation just to consider it.

Second, our political affiliations and the political affiliations of our staff are private. While there are signs posted in our window, some of them are political the majority are not. Since we want Gia Gelato & Caf? to be recognized as an informational branch of Jersey City we didn?t think there was any harm in posting cultural ads in our windows with hopes of bringing awareness to the community so that its residents may become active and feel inclusive. The May 14th mayoral election is one such instance, and the signs were diligently posted as we received them. We attempted to cater to a variety of candidates. In fact, in addition to the signs posted in our window, a Q&A for Fulop was held at our caf? on April 8th, and we are hosting a meet and greet for Fletcher on May 2nd. If there is a candidate who does not have a sign posted or does not feel adequately represented in our restaurant and wishes to do so we would, of course, welcome the opportunity.

Third, we are sorry to disappoint those who learned that our gelato is made by a vendor. However, we can assure you that our gelato is made by an artisan gelato maker who makes our gelato only upon order and in small batches. It took nearly a year to locate such an artisan because we only wanted the best quality and freshest as practicable to serve our customers. Our gelatos are never mass produced or sit in a warehouse and then distributed months after it had been made. Our artisan uses only the best quality ingredients. Thus, we will not served you with artificial colors, ingredients, or powders commonly found in inferior gelatos. Additionally, our gelato maker resorts to local farmers for its ingredients, and where it could not be obtained from international farmers. Further, our gelato maker has worked and continues to work closely with the top chefs and restaurants throughout the country, and has decades of experience. So, naturally, he has collected a large repertoire of recipes for gelato flavors. We feel very fortunate to have obtained this connection to deliver to you.

Fourth, initially, the concept of Gia Gelato & Caf? was to obtain legal and business experience. Shortly thereafter, it was discovered that there was an underserved niche in the community. Within six weeks of opening our doors, we have quickly partnershiped with other small local businesses, affiliated ourselves with art shows with JC Fridays, donated food to local schools and non-profit groups, and took unemployed individuals off of the State?s payroll and provided employment opportunities to the disadvantaged. In fact, one of our employees is a single mother of two small children and was homeless. With your support of our caf?, she is now enabled to provide for her family and open her first bank account. Another employee is working to pay for a college education. Needless to say, our employees are very proud of their work and work tirelessly to please our customers. We have been so inspired by them that we plan to hire other overlooked disadvantaged bright stars. And, as the summer months roll around, we are also looking to hire and train part-time high schoolers to keep them occupied, off the streets and money in their pockets. We have had the pleasure to serve meet many of you while improving the community needs and look forward to continuing to do so.

Finally, this will be my last time viewing this webpage because of the foreseeable subsequent mockery. However, if there are any concerns about what we do or any suggestions in how we could do it better, please bring those issues directly to my attention and I will try my best to address them. With better communication, we clear up any misunderstandings and work together to build a better community.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Caller9 wrote:
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

If they want to concentrate on other areas they should not call themselves Gia Gelato, it's confusing. Hearing only the name I am thinking of a gelataria-- a place that only sells Gelato, made fresh daily. Not a sandwich shop that happens to have shipped in gelato.

Umm, the name of the restaurant is "Gia Gelato & Cafe". Just goes to show how ill-informed and non-legitimate this message board is. I can't stop laughing!!! :)

This wouldn't be JCList if no one came here to whine about something no matter how insignificant the topic, or ill informed the poster is.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/24 1:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Now you want to tell them what to name the cafe you clearly have it out for these people. God help them

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Caller9 wrote:
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

If they want to concentrate on other areas they should not call themselves Gia Gelato, it's confusing. Hearing only the name I am thinking of a gelataria-- a place that only sells Gelato, made fresh daily. Not a sandwich shop that happens to have shipped in gelato.

Umm, the name of the restaurant is "Gia Gelato & Cafe". Just goes to show how ill-informed and non-legitimate this message board is. I can't stop laughing!!! :)

It makes sense their name is an alliteration in the form of spelling and as an annunciation. Gelato is their specialiaty something not usually found easily like ice cream so they have to put the focus on such. Customers should not live by gelato alone. It's a nice dessert after lunch or just to stop in along the way.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:

Posted on: 2013/4/25 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
The vanilla almond coconut fudge awesomeness I tried yesterday -- with the irish cream latte on the side ... let's just say I'm going to be looking for an extra Zumba class every week with this new addition to my neighborhood. But I'm not mad at them! Both were great.

(Disclaimer: I'm a peasant who has never been to Italy ... )

Posted on: 2013/4/25 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
And there is a huge difference in high quality, freshly made gelato versus mass produced, vendor gelato-- anyone who has been to Italy knows this. Oh well, it's for the best-- if this place were a real gelataria and more convenient to the main downtown area I'd probably frequent it far too often.

Yes it would be nice to have something close to Italy (oh how I wish) as for a sole gelateria it might be tough to meet that monthly nut called rent and the overhead cost. Having gelato on the storefront will be the lure. I am willing to give the outside source a shot just looking for that gelato consistancy that you can't relicate in a store.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 10:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
If the gelato vendor produces a high quality product it is more cost efficient for a place to sell that product, then they can concentrate on other areas of the business.

And there is a huge difference in high quality, freshly made gelato versus mass produced, vendor gelato-- anyone who has been to Italy knows this. Oh well, it's for the best-- if this place were a real gelataria and more convenient to the main downtown area I'd probably frequent it far too often.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
A friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch today. Good sandwich and salad and the space is very comfortable. Friendly service just added to the 100% eperience.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 22:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
If the gelato vendor produces a high quality product it is more cost efficient for a place to sell that product, then they can concentrate on other areas of the business.

Yeah ... like the Belgian chocolate latte I had on Saturday that I cannot stop thinking about. -___-

So good.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/23 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe having a commercial vendor would not be a bad thing at that. It cannot be that much different than making it in the back. Perhaps the vendor supplies to many gelato places making it with the right consistency. I just hope it does not have the hard supermarket taste. I have had gelato in Southern Italy so I am a little more cynical.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 14:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/24 1:17
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is really wacked First it was the signs in the window now it's the gelato vendor. What next? If it is so easy why don't you open your own gelateria? FYI y'all are beginning to sound really crazy. If yelp reviews suddenly go bad everyone will know why ;).

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
good coffee
good gelato
good paninis
I don't really care if they make it themselves, the product is excellent and there's nothing else like it in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NJNJ wrote:
I was very disappointed to read that they get their gelato from a vendor instead of making it themselves.
Not only that, it's clearly not some niche artisan vendor-- the owners bragged that their vendor makes over 600 flavors. Why would I go to a Gelato shop for gelato that is not freshly made there? It's too bad I hope the owners reconsider and learn how to make their own gelato.

So who's the vendor ? Satis in PH sold Ciao Bella gelato a name brand sold in supermarkets and look where that got them, I wish it were homemade too.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they push coffee and food more than Gelato...

Great reviews so far on Yelp

http://www.yelp.com/biz/gia-gelato-and-cafe-jersey-city

Posted on: 2013/4/21 20:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
I was very disappointed to read that they get their gelato from a vendor instead of making it themselves.
Not only that, it's clearly not some niche artisan vendor-- the owners bragged that their vendor makes over 600 flavors. Why would I go to a Gelato shop for gelato that is not freshly made there? I'd rather buy Ciao Bella from the bodega or make my own gelato (I have a high end machine). It's too bad I hope the owners reconsider and learn how to make their own gelato.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 19:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Great addition to neighborhood -- delicious gelato, good coffee, comfy inside, nice folks.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 14:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds more like some of you have been clanning and alienating (or hoping to alienate) businesses based rumors derived from a discussion board. It's so sad. These hard working people have no idea that others are talking about them on a discussion board and unilaterally decided that they will not be patronized because of a campaign sign. The last I checked, campaign signs for both parties were taped to the door. It's our choice to support a new small business that supports the community or have the storefront replaced with yet another dollar store or become abandoned altogether. Then everyone loses, except the politicians who remain in office while the campaign signs have long been discarded and forgotten. I prefer to be supportive of the little guy regardless of what side they stand on because they generally do not control what goes on in the big house. And, these people seemed to have kept their political ideologies pretty neutral - based on the signs displayed in their window. Yes, it is your right to patronize with whomever and however you wish but let's play fair and not slander innocent people (the real issue of my concern). Horray to those who spoke up or actually visited (gasp) and then posted something good, bad or indifferent!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/19 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
The sign does bother me a little - I'll admit. That is because I feel so strongly about this election. Healy represents stagnation, corruption and the same old business as usual. We need change in jersey city - we need a Mayor that works to improve this City. Mayor Healy only works to keep the political cronyism in place. I just find it hard to support anything affiliated with Healy, even though I really want to like this place and very much would like to see such a nice establishment succeed.
It is a very alienating sign, because many of us are so disgusted with Healy.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 0:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017