Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4118
Offline
Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/30 6:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/1/11 18:21
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4954
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:


Ward E has roughly 40K residents many who have never even heard of this forum


I agree, when I lived downtown I thought all of JC was on the list, till I spoke with people at the dog run off line, most was like Who? What? and in GV I have met one person who has heard of this forum but he says due to the bashing of GV he stays off of it. This election is going to be very interesting, its going to burst so many bubbles.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:45
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
I have always maintained this is politically risky so only time will tell. One thing is for certain, it will make for good political theater in the coming weeks.

Ward E has roughly 40K residents many who have never even heard of this forum and will simply vote the incumbent and his slate. Perhaps that is what Dan is banking on because it's obvious his ploy has rubbed many of you the wrong way.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:07
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/13 21:48
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 272
Offline
Looks like some folks that know Mr Levin are going to vote for both him and Mr Fulop. That is their right and I respect that opinion. It does not make them evil or crazy!

The two folks in my house however will not be voting for Mr Levin. We no longer trust him because of his affiliation with an obviously corrupt administration.


Posted on: 2013/3/28 15:57
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/2/9 1:47
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 139
Offline
Dan ran for Mayor in 2009...before Healy and his pals association with Dweck came to light.
Dan is running in Ward E only.




Posted on: 2013/3/28 15:18
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
You may be right MND but this forum is but a small microcosm of the residents who comprise all of the wards in this giant city, including Dans. Also, remember in 2010 he tried running as an independent and didn't fair to well.


Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:50
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/2/9 1:47
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 139
Offline
I think Dan could have won if he ran as an independent. I know he lost 2 votes in my house alone and twenty on my block.




Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:33
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
Let your dim light shine LimpiarElSucio!

Dan was one of the few who actually led efforts to get the city council to adopt the Contractor and Redevelopment Pay-to-Play Reform ordinance. Get your facts in order before you espouse such misguided nonsense......

You can't deny or turn a blind eye to history and facts. Honestly, to think because Dan is now aligned with Healy to help Dan get a seat on the council ( a risk but his best shot in my opinion) he has to completely re-illustrate and vocalize each of his positions at every council meeting is not only ridiculous but won't happen due to time constraints.

Attend one of his Coffee Chats if you have concerns and misgivings.

Friday ? March 29

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
La Conguita
351 Grove St.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:10
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/10/12 12:58
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 258
Offline
If switching affiliations didnt entail speaking to the council and stating that we dont need play to play reform that combats wheeling... then I would of considered dan as a candidate. Unfortunately he did stand in front of the council and say that, after all wheeling disproportionately benefits his team's campaign. I wont vote for Dan because I attend council meetings and see who the aspiring politician is, not who he claimed to be. Dan spent years crafting a reputation that presented him as "anti-healy," "pro-reform," and about "preserving our city's landmarks" and in a 3 minute video clip he destroyed that reputation.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 12:51
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/5/10 16:36
Last Login :
8/2 12:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 912
Offline
Agreed, I'll be voting for Fulop and Levin.

At least I would if I was able to vote.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 12:43
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/9/14 18:57
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1008
Offline
all politics is local, right? I will vote for Dan because I know him personally and believe in what he stands for.

I will also vote for Steven because he has helped us in the past.

if you believe that switching affiliations changes the fundamentals (in this case) then you really are not that sophisticated.. no offense.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 4:01
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/8/22 18:20
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 40
Offline
Quote:

OneJC wrote:
Letter writer says, if Levin wins, so does Ward E

I'm excited to support Daniel Levin for Ward E City Council, because when Dan wins we all win.

I have known Dan for many years as a neighbor and an activist who is ever present and at the forefront of community affairs Downtown. Being a busy mom, I've trusted him to keep me informed of the issues and advocate on my behalf at City Hall or other meetings I could not attend. Whether it be the preservation of the Embankment or the PAD, reforming pay-to-play in City Hall or supporting the artist community, Dan has been out-front and on Ward E's side.

Dan is one of those rare people who is steadfast in his values and position, even when it's not popular or politically prudent. That's why it doesn't matter what ticket he's running on -- Dan's uncompromising integrity and consistence in working on behalf of Ward E residents will ensure that when Dan wins, W.E. (Ward E) wins.

FELICIA R. PALMER
JERSEY CITY

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2013/03/post_51.html

Coffee Chats ? Week of March 25

Every week, Dan will be at various coffee shops and cafes downtown in the mornings. Feel free to stop by, have a chat, and voice any concerns you have about downtown Jersey City. The schedule will change week to week. Email joanna@onejerseycity.org for more information.

Monday ? March 25

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
Beechwood Cafe
290 Grove St.

Wednesday ? March 27

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
Choc o Pain Bakery & Cafe
530 Jersey Ave.

Friday ? March 29

9 A.M. to 10 A.M.
La Conguita
351 Grove St.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 0:11
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/5 18:29
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline
Letter writer says, if Levin wins, so does Ward E

I'm excited to support Daniel Levin for Ward E City Council, because when Dan wins we all win.

I have known Dan for many years as a neighbor and an activist who is ever present and at the forefront of community affairs Downtown. Being a busy mom, I've trusted him to keep me informed of the issues and advocate on my behalf at City Hall or other meetings I could not attend. Whether it be the preservation of the Embankment or the PAD, reforming pay-to-play in City Hall or supporting the artist community, Dan has been out-front and on Ward E's side.

Dan is one of those rare people who is steadfast in his values and position, even when it's not popular or politically prudent. That's why it doesn't matter what ticket he's running on -- Dan's uncompromising integrity and consistence in working on behalf of Ward E residents will ensure that when Dan wins, W.E. (Ward E) wins.

FELICIA R. PALMER
JERSEY CITY

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2013/03/post_51.html

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:36
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/1/11 15:20
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 59
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
The naysayers will never (even for a second) accept that this type of political maneuvering is normal during an election cycle.

[And] ...just remember that before he decided to join Healy's slate he asked many of his friends and supporters about this decision and except for two people the rest were positive and knew it was a good opportunity.


@81905, the question people ask of Dan is not whether political maneuvering is normal, but whether this is a maneuver that is smart, and demonstrates fidelity to the causes Dan has championed.

One of Dan's problems is that he is known for speaking to his "friends and supporters." Dan would be a better candidate and a better representative if he spent more time speaking to those who are not already on board the Good Ship Dan. These are the same friends and supporters that helped him run his last two campaigns? Improving your position is about reaching out, not reaching in.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 17:52
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/2/21 18:59
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 136
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
H-Parker,

You are really surprised that an unknown (generally speaking) candidate has decided to align himself with an incumbent politician (who is seen as unsavory in some circles) for political gain?

This "plan" has been used since the 6th Century BC for Christ's sake! Check Athens Greece for it's source.





It is just that this Someone was calling for said Unsavory incumbent to resign.
You say we should not be surprised and your right,I for one always knew Dan was just another politician seeking power.
His holier than us shtick wore me out long ago.

He sold his house and closed his frame shop in Hoboken and when he loses come may i predict he will leave the city.

This is his last shot at being relevant and he is going to do whatever it takes to win,including locking arms around said unsavory incumbent.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 17:50
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
H-Parker,

You are really surprised that an unknown (generally speaking) candidate has decided to align himself with an incumbent politician (who is seen as unsavory in some circles) for political gain?

This "plan" has been used since the 6th Century BC for Christ's sake! Check Athens Greece for it's source.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 16:53
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
The naysayers will never (even for a second) accept that this type of political maneuvering is normal during an election cycle. So, for that, I won't be able to get anything across too them.

For those of you who are not confused and seemingly tortured by Dan's somewhat deceptive plan, just remember that before he decided to join Healy's slate he asked many of his friends and supporters about this decision and except for two people the rest were positive and knew it was a good opportunity. These people know Dan, I would reckon most of the posters on this forum do not.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 15:16
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
I would just like to chime in on others that joined up or who were appointed by Healy who said they were independent voices, etc.

Ray Velasquez
Michelle Massey
& What's-her-Name (she's a lawyer)

They were great bobble heads.


Kalimah Ahmed!

I knew I would remember her name.

Point is that no matter how well intentioned, Dan is already towing the line. His silence has been deafening.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 13:49
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/7/14 19:34
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 528
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
MightyOz,

There are a number of suitable political sayings I could throw in here to try and make sense of Dan's decision but "politics makes odd bedfellows" seems the most appropriate.


Thee are a number of suitable sayings i could throw in here to state the obvious, but "Flip Flopper" seems to be most appropriate.

It seems Dan is so willing to have a "seat at the party" that he is willing to throw his independent values out the window and team up with the very man who he tried to oust . How can I trust he won't decide to do an 180 on any other issue in the future? Because of a few "Dan is still Dan" posts while he says nothing?

Like Flounder in the beginning of Animal House, I wonder how many times the voters have to lead Dan to the loser's table before he realizes that he really isn't wanted at Omega Theta Pi.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 13:30
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/1/11 15:20
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 59
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
[First] Quit feeling so let down by Dan when he only wants to have his message heard. Without aligning himself with Healy he will remain silent.

[Then he says:] He's been quiet because he does not need to say a thing really...


BS alert. First you claim that Dan joined up with Healy so that his voice could be heard. Then, when questioned about the post-Healy Dan's lack of voice, you now want us to believe that through the political magic of the Healy touch Dan does not need to say anything.

It's brilliant analysis like that that led Dan to embrace Healy. If you want to know that quality of decision-making you'll get from a Councilman, you should start by looking at the quality of decision-making from the candidate.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 12:51
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
I would just like to chime in on others that joined up or who were appointed by Healy who said they were independent voices, etc.

Ray Velasquez
Michelle Massey
& What's-her-Name (she's a lawyer)

They were great bobble heads.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 12:41
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/9/15 18:45
Last Login :
9/26 21:01
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 170
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
InsideStraight,

This isn't rocket science! With Dan on Healy's ticket he will get votes simply because a lot of voters will vote the entire Healy slate. It's as simple as that. Dan has zero influence and popularity in many of the wards so it's purely an uphill battle for him on his own. Remember, he didn't fair very well in the at-large City Council seat election in 2010. I think that took some wind out of his sails and made him think that more drastic measures were needed to help insure a decent shot. Fair play to him.

He's been quiet because he does not need to say a thing really - Dan is simply buying his time, knowing he will get a lot of the DT vote (the ones who know he is not morally bankrupt) and votes in the Healy hot spots of the Heights and Journal Square.

Time will tell but I still think it was his best move.


Um...he won't be getting any votes in Healy hot spots of the Heights and Journal Square because he is only running for Ward E, not for an At-Large seat. Only the Ward E votes will count. In that, he may have problems.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 2:40
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/8/27 22:16
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 344
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
InsideStraight,

This isn't rocket science! With Dan on Healy's ticket he will get votes simply because a lot of voters will vote the entire Healy slate.


Downtown? Not likely. Levin is going to end up getting precious little from Chuckles the Mayor, be it money or coattails. If he (Levin) were running at-large, I'd buy it. Fact of the matter is that if anyone is providing coattails, it's Levin. However, so many people - the True Believers - are turned off by the suddenly transactional nature of his "calculation" that i wouldn't bet against Fletch (6'5", 6'9" with the afro) beating him out for second....

Posted on: 2013/3/24 2:34
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
InsideStraight,

This isn't rocket science! With Dan on Healy's ticket he will get votes simply because a lot of voters will vote the entire Healy slate. It's as simple as that. Dan has zero influence and popularity in many of the wards so it's purely an uphill battle for him on his own. Remember, he didn't fair very well in the at-large City Council seat election in 2010. I think that took some wind out of his sails and made him think that more drastic measures were needed to help insure a decent shot. Fair play to him.

He's been quiet because he does not need to say a thing really - Dan is simply buying his time, knowing he will get a lot of the DT vote (the ones who know he is not morally bankrupt) and votes in the Healy hot spots of the Heights and Journal Square.

Time will tell but I still think it was his best move.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 2:02
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/1/11 15:20
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 59
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Quit feeling so let down by Dan when he only wants to have his message heard. Without aligning himself with Healy he will remain silent.


There are a couple of problems with this idea. First, Dan's didn't seem to have any problem speaking before he was aligned with Healy. Is Jerry now Dan's muse?

How's that Healy megaphone working for him? Dan has seemed more silent, cryptic, and isolated since joining Team Healy than before. He's sat out issues the "old Dan" would have spoke on. As nearly as I can tell, his campaign doesn't have much of a coherent message.

Where Dan has always been weak is in being able to take an idea and fill in the gap between idea and implementation. Look at the policy papers he occasionally drops off in this forum. There's a lot of "We should do this," and precious little "Here's how we can do this."

Healy sure doesn't help him with that issue.

Posted on: 2013/3/24 0:53
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
JSleeze,

Sure it's a gamble but at the end of the day Dan wants a seat in that hallowed hall and yes that could very well be with Healy still at the helm. However, Dan will have that all important seat. I firmly believe having him on our city council even if Healy is reelected is a good thing. To think Dan won't have some influence and power if elected is ridiculous.

Call it a dubious tactic, immoral, contemptible or political gamesmanship but this is very common in every election cycle nationwide. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

For Christ sakes! We are talking Hudson County politics here! This is not a happy, friendly game where everyone is Mr. Frickin Rogers. Lying down with dogs is an understatement.

Quit feeling so let down by Dan when he only wants to have his message heard. Without aligning himself with Healy he will remain silent.

Let's also not forget that Dan has also agreed with many things Healy has proposed over the years.....as has Fulop.

Vote Dan for Ward E and vote Fulop for Mayor

Posted on: 2013/3/23 23:24
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/8/27 22:16
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 344
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
MightyOz,

There are a number of suitable political sayings I could throw in here to try and make sense of Dan's decision but "politics makes odd bedfellows" seems the most appropriate.

Surely you realize Dan has little crony capital in this town. Sure, he has some friends in parts of DT but without Healy, his backers and access to campaign funds he is dead in the water.

It's comical that a lot of these posters think Dan has lost his moral compass in being on Healy's ticket. This is not some new form of political maneuvering. It happens all time in cities all over this nation. Many who don't know the landscape immediately react like you and think the person has lost their minds.

Look, these guys are grown-ups and like Republicans and Democrats crossing the isle to work on an issue or bill together that is all that Dan is doing. In a sense he is sacrificing some initial fallout to get a spot at the party. Once he's got that seat he will distant himself from the toxicity that is Mayor Healy.


That would all make sense except:

1. He's crossing the aisle to bed down with the guy he made his name bashing for the last several years and, even worse (for him)

2. If he's successful - and his efforts to get Healy re-elected are successful too - he will be impotent. Even more than he is now. Levin only exists (politically) because there is a Healy in the first place. Healy has spent the last nine years demonstrating that he has zero interest in any of the things Dan is supposed to be about. Daniel the Dragonslayer is going to change all that? Who isn't being real?

Posted on: 2013/3/23 20:10
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/8/27 18:09
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 119
Offline
Home away from home, are you serious with that picture you have next to your name? It's quite distracting. Horrible actually.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 18:41
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/12/7 2:49
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 351
Offline
MightyOz,

There are a number of suitable political sayings I could throw in here to try and make sense of Dan's decision but "politics makes odd bedfellows" seems the most appropriate.

Surely you realize Dan has little crony capital in this town. Sure, he has some friends in parts of DT but without Healy, his backers and access to campaign funds he is dead in the water.

It's comical that a lot of these posters think Dan has lost his moral compass in being on Healy's ticket. This is not some new form of political maneuvering. It happens all time in cities all over this nation. Many who don't know the landscape immediately react like you and think the person has lost their minds.

Look, these guys are grown-ups and like Republicans and Democrats crossing the isle to work on an issue or bill together that is all that Dan is doing. In a sense he is sacrificing some initial fallout to get a spot at the party. Once he's got that seat he will distant himself from the toxicity that is Mayor Healy.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 3:20
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/2/9 22:11
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 53
Offline
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Getting back on topic......
Remember folks, if Dan does get in he will distant himself from Healy faster than sh*t through a goose.


So what you're really saying is that Dan doesn't have much in the way of principles, and we can expect him to change his public stance any time he thinks it's expedient? Great endorsement.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:06
Follow the yellow brick road.
 Top 




« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

  Register To PostTopic is Locked



[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017