Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
63 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 63

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City mayoral candidates - first election forum/debate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

VIDEO: watch the March 21 Jersey City mayoral forum

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

on April 01, 2013 at 3:25 PM,
updated April 01, 2013 at 3:26 PM

The March 21 candidates forum for the four Jersey City mayoral hopefuls is now online for any voters who missed the event two weeks ago.

Incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy is seeking his third full term on May 14, when the mayoralty and all nine City Council seats are up for grabs. Healy's challengers are Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop; Jerry Walker; and Abdul Malik.

The Jersey Journal live-blogged the roughly two-hour event, but to watch the entire forum, check out the videos below. It was separated into three parts.

JJ piece with 3 videos?.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _mayora.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/4/1 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Debate #2 announced for April 17th

PolitickerNJ, Saint Peter's University to host Jersey City mayoral debate

By PolitickerNJ Staff | March 21st, 2013 - 11:48am

Candidates for mayor of Jersey City will square off next month in a debate hosted by PolitickerNJ and Saint Peter's University.

The debate is scheduled for April 17 at 7:30 p.m. and will feature Mayor Jerramiah Healy, Councilman Steve Fulop and community activist and former Seton Hall basketball star Jerry Walker.

The one-hour-long event will be moderated by PolitickerNJ Editor Darryl Isherwood and Nicholas Chiaravalloti, executive director of the Guarini Institute for Government and Leadership at Saint Peter's.

The event will be held in the University's Mac Mahon Student Center. Tickets to the event will be distributed by the three campaigns as well as through the university.

Healy is vying for his third full term in office. He took over as mayor in 2004 after the death of then-mayor Glenn Cunningham. He won re-election in 2005 and again in 2009. Fulop was first elected to the city council in 2005 and like Healy won his 2009 bid for re-election. Walker is a relative latecomer to the race but says his lack of funds won't hinder him.

To date, the race has been a nasty one, with both sides trading allegations of campaign finance misconduct. Healy has charged Fulop with pay to play violations for allegedly steering the school board to award an insurance contract to a friend. Fulop denies he had anything to do with the adoption of the contract. The councilman has in turn hit Healy with allegations that money received from disgraced FBI informant Solomon Dwek during the mayor's 2009 bid for re-election was never donated to charity as Healy promised. Healy disputes the allegation and says the money was donated to 43 charities.

The election is scheduled for May 14.

link

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Just posting this direct link into the JJ live-blog again that has all of the questions and answers from last night. In case it got lost below.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _firs_1.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:07

Re: Political debates start Thursday night
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I think that may have been because he is now deaf in his right ear from Malik screaming.

I think my favorite moment was the look Healy gave Malik after Malik claimed we should partially subsidize NJ Transit.

Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Forgot to mention that after the forum was over, everyone stayed to chat, get pictures, etc. with one notable exception - Healy. Could not get out of there fast enough.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 10:14
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Forgot to mention that after the forum was over, everyone stayed to chat, get pictures, etc. with one notable exception - Healy. Could not get out of there fast enough.

Two hours is an awfully long time to spend with a bottle of water.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 5:22

Jersey City mayoral candidates spice up first election forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayoral candidates spice up first election forum

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
March 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

The four Jersey City mayoral candidates engaged in a spicy, two-hour debate tonight as they met for the first time in the 2013 campaign season.

The forum, attended by about 300 people at School 28 in The Heights, allowed incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy to tout his nearly nine-year record as the city?s top administrator as his three challengers described what they would do if voters tap them for the job instead.

The forum?s moderator discouraged back-and-forth arguments between the candidates, but Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop, the mayor?s longtime rival, wasted no time attacking Healy, saying the mayor has dropped the ball on creating affordable housing, on crime and on a host of other issues raised tonight.

The city is at a ?crossroads" in the upcoming election, the Downtown councilman said tonight.

?We have an opportunity in Jersey City ? to be the best mid-size city in the United States of America, and I believe that?s possible,? he said.

Healy and Fulop will be joined on the May 14 ballot by Abdul Malik, a doctor in his native Pakistan, and Jerry Walker, the former local basketball star who now runs a popular afterschool program.

Fulop and Healy disputed facts a number of times, notably on crime, which Healy noted is down. The number of homicides last year was the lowest on record, the mayor said, while Fulop said residents don't feel safe.

?Our police department and leadership is doing an excellent job,? Healy said. ?What we need are more cops ... that entails money, and we can?t keep hitting the taxpayers over the head.?

To combat crime, Walker said he would implement ?real community policing,? and he bemoaned news stories about Jersey City residents gunned down.

?We?re tired of looking in the paper, picking up the paper and seeing another kid killed in the streets,? he said. ?This has to stop.?

Malik has acknowledged he is at a disadvantage compared to his opponents. He has no campaign cash and very low name recognition (he garnered about 1,200 votes when he ran for an at-large council seat in 2009). But that didn?t stop him from laying into Healy, Fulop and Walker tonight.

He attacked Healy numerous times for not solving problems in his nearly nine-year tenure as mayor, and he threw a few shots Fulop?s and Walker?s way as well.

After Fulop said he has a ?passion? for education, Malik said the councilman ?has a passion for power, more and more power.?

The election is on May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

An earlier version of this article misstated Malik's vote total in 2009.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 13_cand.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/22 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/22 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
Very entertaining and worth the price of admission.

To sum up: two candidates (Malik & Walker) answered most questions with some version of "I will come up with a plan." One candidate (the mayor) saying he would 'continue' to work on it, and one (Fulop) pointing out that he already had a plan and it is posted on his web site.

Walker also stated that his 'plan' was to ask the community for input before doing anything and also to study everything. Malik's main contribution was to babble on unintelligibly and in doing so make Mayor Healy look positively statesman-like by comparison. I didn't know too much about Malik prior to tonight, but he was dreadful. He glad-handed everyone afterwards and when it was my turn I told him, "you were terrible and I would never vote for you." He was cordial and responded "I already knew that." So, he laid on the charm, but that didn't dispel his nearly complete lunacy.

The mayor got some good lines in. He was best when speaking about recreation and public spaces. Walker appeared lost, but his supporters didn't seem to notice. Fulop was in command and laid out his case nicely, but didn't come on too strong. He had the advantage of going last in closing statements and played it well.

Lots of candidates and supporters in attendance (not surprisingly). Bill Matsikoudis (Healy Campaign Manager and also the City's attorney) looked down right, dare I say, evil. Dan Levin, Peter Brennan, on the Healy side (I wouldn't recognize the rest of his team) and Joyce Watterman, Danny Rivera, Chico Ramchal, Rolando Lavarro, and Candice Osborne on the Fulop side were in attendance.

Members of the audience were invited to write down questions, but only four questions were chosen. A little disappointing.... but things moved along at a good pace.

Kudos to the moderator (Greg?) Hanlon, who kept things under control. And, kudos to the audience. Besides groaning audibly every time Malik was about to speak, they were well behaved.

I have to say that Healy, Fulop and Walker all came across as very likeable. Fulop even said he "liked" Mayor Healy after working with him all these years. But, he also said that liking someone was not enough -- the goal is to move the city forward.

You pretty much nailed it Mouse. I almost took verbal umbrage to Healy's lies about the police, fire & Hamilton Park. How you can sit there & lie like that is incredible. I saw Bill Guaghan, Viola Richardson, & Rev. Gonzo. Funny thing was that they didn't sit together. Somewhat telling if you want to promote a we are team feel. Most of Team Fulop was in relatively close proximity.

Bet they are all at Healy's now celebrating what they perceive as a great win for them. HAHAHAHA

Posted on: 2013/3/22 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mouse wrote:

To sum up: two candidates (Malik & Walker) answered most questions with some version of "I will come up with a plan." One candidate (the mayor) saying he would 'continue' to work on it, and one (Fulop) pointing out that he already had a plan and it is posted on his web site.

Walker also stated that his 'plan' was to ask the community for input before doing anything and also to study everything. Malik's main contribution was to babble on unintelligibly and in doing so make Mayor Healy look positively statesman-like by comparison. I didn't know too much about Malik prior to tonight, but he was dreadful. He glad-handed everyone afterwards and when it was my turn I told him, "you were terrible and I would never vote for you." He was cordial and responded "I already knew that." So, he laid on the charm, but that didn't dispel his nearly complete lunacy.

The mayor got some good lines in. He was best when speaking about recreation and public spaces. Walker appeared lost, but his supporters didn't seem to notice. Fulop was in command and laid out his case nicely, but didn't come on too strong. He had the advantage of going last in closing statements and played it well.

Lots of candidates and supporters in attendance (not surprisingly). Bill Matsikoudis (Healy Campaign Manager and also the City's attorney) looked down right, dare I say, evil. Dan Levin, Peter Brennan, on the Healy side (I wouldn't recognize the rest of his team) and Joyce Watterman, Danny Rivera, Chico Ramchal, Rolando Lavarro, and Candice Osborne on the Fulop side were in attendance.

Members of the audience were invited to write down questions, but only four questions were chosen. A little disappointing.... but things moved along at a good pace.

Kudos to the moderator (Greg?) Hanlon, who kept things under control. And, kudos to the audience. Besides groaning audibly every time Malik was about to speak, they were well behaved.

I have to say that Healy, Fulop and Walker all came across as very likeable. Fulop even said he "liked" Mayor Healy after working with him all these years. But, he also said that liking someone was not enough -- the goal is to move the city forward.

I agree, I am now undecided with two of the candidates, overall it was all well played.

The best line of the night was Walker: "Most people in my community can make $20 work but people in city government can?t make $600 million work."

Posted on: 2013/3/22 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/22 2:21
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Photos from tonights Mayor forum:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/22 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Referring to recent Harrison fire, Healy says city firefighters had to help them because that town had laid off firefighters. "Because of our solid mismanagement we're not only taking care of our city, we're taking care of everybody else," the mayor says.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(just click on the link to see updates)

7:21 p.m.: First question: what would you do to enforce zoning laws and create affordable housing so people won't have to accept living in illegal apartments. Healy says he would create an amnesty to get those illegal apartments on the tax rolls, which would create up to $8 million a year, he says.

Malik goes on attack, saying Healy has had "10 years" to fix this problem and hasn't.

Fulop says he's put forward an affordable housing plan already and Healy opposed it. As mayor, Fulop would advance it.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City election 2013: first mayoral forum live-blog

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on March 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM,
updated March 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The four Jersey City mayoral candidates are meeting tonight at School 28 for the campaign's first candidates forum.

The election is May 14. The mayoralty and all nine City Council seats are up for grabs.

Running for mayor are incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy; City Councilman Steve Fulop; Abdul Malik; and Jerry Walker.

7:10 p.m.: Moderator is laying out the ground rules: six questions for each candidate, who will each have two and a half minutes to respond. Then moderator will pick four questions from some submitted by audience. No booing, no campaign signs held up.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Is this debate being televised? If so, what channel?
I have Verizon.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(bump)

Jersey City election 2013: first mayoral forum set for March 21

on March 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM Print

The first Jersey City election forum of the 2013 campaign is set for next week, with the four mayoral candidates invited by a handful of neighborhood groups to discuss a host of issues.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy is gunning for his third full term, and fending off challenges from City Councilman Steve Fulop, Pakistani doctor Abdul Malik and former local basketball star Jerry Walker.

The forum is scheduled for Thursday, March 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at School 28, 167 Hancock Ave. It is being hosted by the Riverview Neighborhood Association, Washington Park Association of Hudson County, Pershing Field Garden Friends and others.

?The goal of this forum is two-fold?for candidates to gain a better understanding of Heights residents? concerns and for Heights residents to better familiarize themselves with each candidate and his or her platform,? said Becky Hoffman, president of the Riverview Neighborhood Association.

Fulop has challenged his mayoral opponents to a minimum of six debates.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
It?s going to be an interesting night. It looks like PS #28 is a block away from Pastor Mario?s Church over on Cambridge .

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
It's a forum for the mayoral candidates. I got my notice from the Riverview Neighborhood Association. I have something else happening tonight, so will have to get to one of the others, assuming there are others.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:20
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Thursday, March 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at School 28, 167 Hancock Ave.

http://goo.gl/maps/gKA8M

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(I thought it was billed as more of a meet the candidate?s sort of thing not a debate. Maybe that is why Healy is showing up he didn?t think it was a debate.)

Jersey City election 2013: first mayoral forum set for March 21

on March 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM Print

The first Jersey City election forum of the 2013 campaign is set for next week, with the four mayoral candidates invited by a handful of neighborhood groups to discuss a host of issues.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy is gunning for his third full term, and fending off challenges from City Councilman Steve Fulop, Pakistani doctor Abdul Malik and former local basketball star Jerry Walker.

The forum is scheduled for Thursday, March 21 from 7 to 9 p.m. at School 28, 167 Hancock Ave. It is being hosted by the Riverview Neighborhood Association, Washington Park Association of Hudson County, Pershing Field Garden Friends and others.

?The goal of this forum is two-fold?for candidates to gain a better understanding of Heights residents? concerns and for Heights residents to better familiarize themselves with each candidate and his or her platform,? said Becky Hoffman, president of the Riverview Neighborhood Association.

Fulop has challenged his mayoral opponents to a minimum of six debates.

JJ piece from March 13?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ey_city_election_can.html

PS - they should check id's at the door so it is not stacked with "out of town" JC employees .

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is a mayoral debate tonight, and we have heard nothing about it from either side?

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight's debate(03-21-13)will be a forum for the mayoral candidates. There will be a moderator shooting off questions to each of the four candidates. The address of the venue is 167 Hancock Ave. P.S. #28 "Christa Mcauliffe" School. Time of the forum is at 7pm. Hancock Ave is across from St. Paul of the Cross Chruch 2 blocks east of Central Ave. between Bowers St. & South St.
Next month Thursday April 18th 2013 will be the Ward D city council/at large council forum at the same time and location.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Jersey City mayoral candidates - first election forum/debate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
see http://heightshope.webs.com/
March 21st 7PM at PS 28.
For those who live in the Heights, debate is being held at monthly meeting of Heights Hope Neighborhood Assn.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 4:25

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/3/22 4:35:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017