Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Jersey City election 2013: where the race stands
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yes I find it ironic that Healy rips into ? newcomers/interlopers? people who make a move to JC to maybe further their careers in NYC or JC. (ok also for the cheaper real estate) He rips into Fulop for ?only? being here 13 years and says he only moved here to get into government. Funny thing is Healy moved to JC just about the same age as Fulop did to start his own career in government. Interesting Healy even resigned from his regular job to run for mayor after being in JC only 16 years. People in glass houses?.

from the JJ 2009:

?Born in 1950, the son of Irish immigrants who owned a bar, Healy was raised in North Bergen and Union City. He graduated from Villanova University in 1972 with a degree in English and from Seton Hall School of Law in 1977.

Along the way, Healy learned to play several musical instruments and worked as an iron worker, truck loader and bartender. He met his wife, Maureen, a registered nurse, at a Belmar Dairy Queen while still in college, married her in 1976 and moved to Jersey City in 1978.

In 1977, Healy became an assistant prosecutor for the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. He opened a private law practice in 1981 and also served as a part-time attorney for the city from 1981-86.

Healy was appointed chief judge of the Jersey City Municipal Court in 1991 but resigned in 1996 to challenge Bret Schundler for mayor.

He lost that election but ran successfully for council-at-large in 2001 ironically on the ticket of current mayoral rival Louis Manzo.?

Here?s a JC accent test you can do to see if someone was born and raised in JC. (Fulop try it on Healy at the next debate) Ask them these three questions. 1- What day comes after Friday? 2- What do you call a little gray animal with a bushy tail that eats nuts? 3- Budweiser is the king of what? Bonus question ? What did you type your term papers on before computers and word processor?s came along?

I know of a JC guy (born and raised of course) who worked for a major global company. At the monthly teleconference status calls his world wide work mates used to make him repeat the answers to the above questions over and over. Said he had a ?funny? accent. Hmm again people in glass haus?s should ?.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:34

Re: HEALY & FULOP on WNYC/93.9 NOW
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I think they have the same relationship as Chico and Khemraj.

BTW: I just heard that Judge Bariso has ruled that "Chico" may appear on the ballot.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I assume Janet Chevres.

I wonder if she's any relation to Awilda Chevres, the woman running for city council in Ward C?

Posted on: 2013/3/28 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I assume Janet Chevres.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
[quote]
In fact a chunk of his ticket are not 'native'. Viola, Dan, Janet, Gonzo for example.

Who is "Janet"?

Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Jerry always touts this and the fact that he was born in JC - does this really qualify him as being the better candidate ?

Steve made a funny comment about how he didn't really have a choice where he was born.

Healy was neither born, raised nor schooled in Jersey City. Probably moved here after he was married.

In fact a chunk of his ticket are not 'native'. Viola, Dan, Janet, Gonzo for example.

Does this have anything to do with anything? Only if you are interested in someone who can be truthful.

Now if you're talking about Walker, he was born & raised here but his wife & child not only don't live here but Walker himself only moved back to Jersey City a year ago so he run.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 11:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City developer backs out of race for Ward C City Council seat

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
March 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

One of the five candidates running for the Ward C seat on the Jersey City City Council seat has dropped out of the race, citing an upcoming work conflict.

Imtiaz Syed, a developer who ran unsuccessfully for an at-large seat in a 2011 special election, thanks his supporters in a March 26 email he sent to local media outlets.

?I have been actively involved in the issues and challenges facing Jersey City for the last four decades, and will continue to do so in (the) future,? Syed writes.

This year?s race in Ward C, which encompasses Journal Square, finds incumbent Councilwoman Nidia Lopez battling former Jersey City police detective Rich Boggiano, business analyst Janet Chevres, and activist Adela Rohena.

Lopez is running on the council slate of mayoral hopeful Councilman Steve Fulop, while Chevres is running with Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Rohena with Jerry Walker.

Syed?s decision not to run in this year?s city race is potentially good news for Boggiano, who is now the only candidate in the race running independent of a mayoral ticket.

Boggiano, who heads the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, made a strong showing in the 2011 special election, coming in sixth.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ersey_citys_ward_c_s.html

Posted on: 2013/3/28 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
However just saying something doesn't make it real -- in the past 15 years Downtown has honestly never felt as safe as it feels now.

So I guess according to you, Healy saying some parts of the city are not safe does not make it real... OK, sure I understand now.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
However just saying something doesn't make it real -- in the past 15 years Downtown has honestly never felt as safe as it feels now.

Over all both candidates came off pretty well -- glad to hear them -- I would like to hear JC politicians on WNYC much more often!

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
It was nice and refreshing to hear Jerry say some parts of the city are not safe. I am glad to hear him finally admit it. Nice to hear Fulop admit that downtown is feeling unsafe lately as well.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Brian Lehrer Show
Meet the Candidates: Jersey City Mayor's Race
Monday, March 25, 2013
Guest Host David Cruz

Jerramiah Healy, Mayor of Jersey City, and Steven Fulop, Ward E Councilman, discuss their campaign for mayor of Jersey City.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2013/mar ... -jersey-city-mayors-race/

http://www.wnyc.org/popup_player/#

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Jerry always touts this and the fact that he was born in JC - does this really qualify him as being the better candidate ?

Steve made a funny comment about how he didn't really have a choice where he was born.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
The size of your family living in JC does not make you the best candidate for Mayor, Jerry.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 15:38

HEALY & FULOP on WNYC/93.9 NOW
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Check it out...should be interesting.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 15:34

Re: Fulop vs Healy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
I have to correct myself. I did not mean bayside park, i meant to reference the park being developed under the skyway where the tire fire was in the 70s which healy mentioned last night. That clarification should help explain the reference to golf course and lincoln park.

Ive lived in 4 of the 6 wards in this city and dont feel i need to visit any more, but since you know jc so well, im up for you giving me a guided tour if thats what your offering.

Btw. Where bayside park is... My dad lived nearby in the 60s and 70s. It and lsp were apparently all junk car lots so i will admit that the state really did a great job transforming that area in to parks

Just to bring you up to speed, here is Bayside Park Have a good weekend.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 23:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TSmith wrote:
Any new polling? I know a while ago the Healy team released the results of a poll that they said showed the mayor was up.

TSmith, (the T stands for "Troll," right?), we know that you know Dan, but you clearly don't know Jack.

First, the Healy poll they released was not a poll, but a push-poll, designed not to gather information, but to push people's impressions of candidates in a certain direction. The classic form is the question asked of South Carolina voters in 2000: "Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for John McCain for president if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?"

So the "Healy" poll was garbage.

Second, you cannot believe what ANY campaign tells you about polliing. They give selective results, they spin, and they outright lie. When Healy tells you he's ahead it means that he's ahead, or it's neck and neck, or that he's behind. You can only trust polls if they are independent, transparent, or if you can aggregate multiple polls.

Third, everybody wants endorsements. Few of them move the needle. The ones that have the potential to are:

1. Most important - the ones that come with real, countable, votes (like unions with local membership and good mobilization, or an issue organization like NRA or AARP). The Obama family is not registered in JC - zero votes there.

- or -

2. Maybe important - the ones that help you with a problem constituency. Healy's name is VERY low in Ward F. Barack Obama helps him way more than his no-name council candidate. How much? Who knows.

There's no objective measure of where the race stands right now. There are opinions, all of which are tea leaves. Some people can read 'em. Most haven't a clue.

TSmith, keep posting, pretty soon your total will make it look like...you've made a lot of posts.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 3:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/23 2:39
Group:
Registered Users
Any new polling? I know a while ago the Healy team released the results of a poll that they said showed the mayor was up. To date, I havent seen the Fulop team counter.

The Presidents endorsement certainly didnt help. If Fulop wasnt down before, he probably is now.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have to correct myself. I did not mean bayside park, i meant to reference the park being developed under the skyway where the tire fire was in the 70s which healy mentioned last night. That clarification should help explain the reference to golf course and lincoln park.

Ive lived in 4 of the 6 wards in this city and dont feel i need to visit any more, but since you know jc so well, im up for you giving me a guided tour if thats what your offering.

Btw. Where bayside park is... My dad lived nearby in the 60s and 70s. It and lsp were apparently all junk car lots so i will admit that the state really did a great job transforming that area in to parks

Posted on: 2013/3/22 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
I honestly have to say that bayside park is a joke. It will be the least used park (outside of criminal activity) because it is on the wrong side of 440 and relatively close to lincoln park. What a waste of land and excuse for a county golf course. Put parks where we can use them

I honestly can say you are a liar, and most likely never been to Bayside, it is used daily by me and many others. I walk my dogs there every day. I play tennis there on weekends and take boot camp there 3x a week @ 5 AM. If you are for Fulop that is one thing but do not make crap up. If you want Fulop elected may I suggest you visit the wards I mentioned below and start canvasing for him instead of making crap up on JClist.

Also its not a golf course its a park with tennis courts, basketball courts, three ramps for skateboarding and two baseball fields that are used by Greenville and Bayonne little league teams.

As far criminal activity that was taken care of by homeland security. The park received a grant for cameras which are located throughout the park due to its location near the light-rail station so the park is monitored 24/7 and patrolled heavily by JCPD and NJTPD.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I honestly have to say that bayside park is a joke. It will be the least used park (outside of criminal activity) because it is on the wrong side of 440 and relatively close to lincoln park. What a waste of land and excuse for a county golf course. Put parks where we can use them

Posted on: 2013/3/22 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I'm not sure if there is a central thread on this topic. Have there been any polls as to what we can expect in May? Can we expect a very close race?

I'm not sure how any informed citizen can in his or her right mind vote for Healy. Even if you don't like some of Fulop's ideas, at least he HAS ideas, vision, and a plan to realize the potential of Jersey City.

Have you all seen Fulop's platform? I just had a look for myself. Does Healy even have anything like this, at all? www.stevenfulop.com/platform

The biggest problem Fulop has here in ward A there are too many people here who have no idea who he is, I am a minority here in my ward in more ways than one. For one I have lived downtown once upon a time so I know Fulop as I know Healy.

On my block alone there are 4 households that are for Fulop but the other 25 households 1/3 are for Healy and the remaining are for Walker.

Since the election season began Healy has been at Bayside Park for the ribbon cutting (which he touted in last nights debates) Which I have to say that park looks damn good.

Healy has been seen here on Ocean and MLK making promises, shaking hands, pimping for votes and working the trail hard.

I personally have not seen Fulop nor Walker since the election season began. Walker has sent a few volunteers recently to ward A; but then again people here know Walker because of his popular after school program.

I have not yet seen a Fulup volunteer at all, and only spotted two houses on Danforth with Vote Fulop signs to the 20 Vote Healy signs and 8 Vote Walker signs I see on my way to Wonder Bagels.

I think Healy has a better chance of winning this because most of downtown and some Heights folks will vote for Fulop, but I think Ward A and F would be split between Healy and Walker and this causes a big problem for Fulop.

The other problem for Fulop who is known in Ward E most renters down there rarely show up to the polls. And if Ward E has a low turn out as it usually does this wont help Fulop. Ward F, C, B and A on the other hand should have a large turn out, because they have been most ignored and due to the large pool of city workers who happen to live in these wards are home owners and not renters. .

If Fulop wants to win this thing he needs to appeal to more wards other than ward E IMO. Hopefully in the next 2 months he can make some progress.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
His Transportation platform impressed me in particular. He wants to incent people to use car-share/ZipCar types of services, and wants to expand late night/weekend PATH frequency, and BYPASS the Hoboken stopover on weekends.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 15:30

Fulop vs Healy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure if there is a central thread on this topic. Have there been any polls as to what we can expect in May? Can we expect a very close race?

I'm not sure how any informed citizen can in his or her right mind vote for Healy. Even if you don't like some of Fulop's ideas, at least he HAS ideas, vision, and a plan to realize the potential of Jersey City.

Have you all seen Fulop's platform? I just had a look for myself. Does Healy even have anything like this, at all? www.stevenfulop.com/platform

Posted on: 2013/3/22 15:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't it amazing? For three and half years (at least since Operation Bid Rig took down his team), you had a stealth mayor. Following Hurricane Sandy, he became practically invisible.

Now, he's everywhere. Where will Jerry turn up next?

The Mayor of Jersey City, Jerramiah Healy, Visits the NYSE

Posted on: 2013/3/21 4:44
Follow the yellow brick road.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mayoral candidate Fulop proposes 13-point plan to modernize Jersey City operations

Are we ever going to get anything on policy from the Mayor?

As far as I can tell he's only got a two pint plan: things are going great, and re-elect me because I'm a good old boy (Hudson County style).

Have I missed something? Should I be checking the award-winning website more often?

Posted on: 2013/3/12 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
There is only going to be ONE debate for Mayor?

Posted on: 2013/3/12 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Abdul Malik, a longtime advocate for Jersey City residents of Pakistani origin became the fourth and final mayor candidate to be certified to run in May?s citywide election.
JJ

Posted on: 2013/3/12 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mayoral candidate Fulop proposes 13-point plan to modernize Jersey City operations

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
March 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Jersey City mayoral hopeful Steve Fulop released another plank in his platform last week, saying as mayor he would require all department directors to live in Jersey City, eliminate all non-essential city vehicles, and sponsor a referendum asking voters if they want to move city elections to November.
Fulop, also the Downtown representative on the City Council, is challenging Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. The councilman?s latest platform on government structure and modernization is one of four his campaign has released, and it would help ?restore our residents? full faith? in city government, Fulop said.

?By modernizing our operating practices and technology, evaluating and improving the structure of our departments and city government as a whole, and promoting ideas that put the people first, I believe Jersey City can be the example other cities look to when adopting best practices in governmental operations,? he said in a statement from his campaign.

The newest platform is a 13-point plan, available on Fulop?s campaign website, that also includes a two-term limit for elected officials, a redesign of the city?s website and a ?meritocracy-based? hiring system that would require the city to review at least three r??sum??s for every position with an annual salary of $60,000 or more.

Fulop would also seek to replicate New York City?s popular 311 help line, which allows residents to report non-emergencies while not clogging the 911 system.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said many of Fulop?s proposals have already been implemented by Healy?s administration.

The city?s current website is ?robust? and ?award winning,? and in the middle of a redesign, while GovQA already handles non-emergency calls from residents, Morrill said.

?In addition, interfaces to other third-party products such as Qscend and SeeClickFix are also being examined to ensure that no matter how constituents choose to enter their requests, the correct data is recorded and forwarded to the appropriate agency for action with minimal duplication of effort,? she said.

Fulop campaign spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said he is ?not surprised? to hear the city?s claims that Fulop?s proposals are essentially old news.

?The reality is that with streets that have trash all over them, graffiti popping up on buildings, city parks covered with weeds, and constituent concerns not being addressed, it is hard to say that our plan won?t be an improvement,? Tedeschi said.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... idate_fulop_proposes.html

http://stevenfulop.com/platform

Posted on: 2013/3/11 19:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
I love the way Healy's people complain about politics at the parade. As if the parade wasn't political. LOL!!!

Like the way Healy used city trucks to parade his campaign banners. Or that the Fulop people are somehow wrong for handing out literature and having Fulop signs, while the "Irish for Healy" signs that just by coincidence appeared yesterday along the parade route are somehow ok. (BTW, the parade committee OK'd everything the Fulop team did - I know somebody on the committee.

All this indicates Healy's double standard - if Fulop does it, it's wrong, but if Healy does it, it's right. And it also indicates they're worried about the direction things are going. You don't cry foul when you've put the ball in the net.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:41

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017