Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Liberty Marathon and Half Marathon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
There is also a 5K on June 15 on the same course run by TECCS charter school. I ran the inaugural last year. It's a good race.

Provided the LSP walkway is fixed, people WILL set PRs on this course. It is flat and fast (other than the 180 deg turnaround at mid point).

http://www.readwriterun5k.com/Read_Write_%26_Run_5K.html

Edit - sorry, my bad. The Club Metro and TECCS races are probably not on the same course. The TECCS course is fast, however.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 20:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/21 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
There's a 5k in Jersey City on June 8th. Its hosted by Club Metro USA Fitness Center to benefit the American Heart Association. The race is mostly along the Hudson.

CompuScore Online Registration

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:44

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/5/23 15:06:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am part of an informal running group, but I don't know of any organized clubs in JC. There are a couple of clubs in Hoboken and Bayonne. Check out the RRCA or runningintheusa websites for a list:

http://www.rrca.org/forms/Clubs/searc ... ss_state=38&action=Search

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Club/L ... ?Rank=All&State=NJ&Page=1

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/4 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know of any running clubs or groups in JC?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The gentle folk of Hamden are going to wonder why they are suddenly swamped with NYC/Metro runners....

Let me know how it goes. It looked like a nice, small field race. I might do it next year if LibertyRun craps the bed again.

I myself am going to run the Brooklyn. I also did an LSD run on Sunday, but only 12 miles, so I am going to cross my fingers and taper now.

Edit - if there any other JC Listers doing Brkln, let me know - we can at least discuss transit options to the start.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:

Try the Hamden Hills Half in Hamden, CT. I was going to do that as a replacement, but ended up signing up for the Brooklyn Half this coming weekend.

Thanks for all the responses. I almost signed up for the Brooklyn months ago, but it filled up hours after being announced. Now it looks like I could still get in. Frustrating.

I wish I could get my hands on the Liberty Run organizers. Going by their poor website and lack of details, I always felt they were in over their heads. I blame this all on poor planning.

I know the Brooklyn half is great, but I don't think I can hack it this weekend. I did my long run Sunday (18 miles) and I'm still tired. Plus, my work schedule is keeping me from getting good rest this week.

Thanks to HPYC for the Hamden Hills tip. It's two hours away, but I think it might be the best choice for me since it's on 5/25.

BTW: The Liberty Run people don't want to give refunds, since the event was for charity. Snakes. We'll see about that.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Quote:

foobar wrote:
The first Liberty Marathon through Liberty State Park, Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken and Weehawken. Starts and ends at Grand Street.

May 25th 2013.

http://www.libertyrunmarathon.org/

Some of the course looks pretty random but might be fun. Also, looks like registration is not yet working.

Anyone know anything about this?

The half-marathon and marathon scheduled to take place Saturday, May 25, have been cancelled. It sounds like the organizers couldn't get permission to use Jersey City streets because of construction.

The organizers weren't able to make any other accommodations. I'm kind of pissed at them for letting this happen. Like anyone else registered for one of the runs, I've been working toward it for months now. The web site was so amateur that I was always afraid they didn't have the know-how to pull this off.

Now I'm turning to you: does anyone here know of a half-marathon taking place that weekend that's within an hour or two? My searches have turned up nothing. I'd be really grateful if anyone knew of another half-marathon that same weekend.

Try the Hamden Hills Half in Hamden, CT. I was going to do that as a replacement, but ended up signing up for the Brooklyn Half this coming weekend.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 18:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Another +1 for Brooklyn. Although I think there are more than 25k. Hopefully the 2 waves will help keep things spaced out.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 17:04

Re: Liberty Run Marathon Canceled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the marathon was being organized by the inept Port Authority...

Posted on: 2013/5/14 16:41

Liberty Run Marathon Canceled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

This is incredibly disappointing for anyone hoping for a good race to finally be hosted in Hudson County. Seven months after the storm, this city can't even get its act together enough to hold a simple road race. Towns up and down the shore, which were hit a lot worse than JC, have had marathons, half marathons, and every other kind of road race already. Sad.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
One more plug for the Brooklyn Half. It is a great race and this year will have nearly 25K folks running it. Should be a blast.
(Try registering online for it, but if not, I think you should be able to register in person at the packet pickup location in DUMBO the next few days).

It is really sad that the Liberty Half/Marathon got postponed/cancelled. But hopefully it'll be back once the new bridge is constructed.

Use your hard work to PR in the Brooklyn half. Its a flat course.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Now I'm turning to you: does anyone here know of a half-marathon taking place that weekend that's within an hour or two? My searches have turned up nothing. I'd be really grateful if anyone knew of another half-marathon that same weekend.

I don't know about two weekends from now, but Brooklyn Half Marathon is THIS Saturday. GREAT race. Starts by the Brooklyn Museum, grand boulevards, once around Prospect Park, then straight down Ocean Parkway with a finish ON the boardwalk at Coney Island. I'll be running.
Brooklyn Half

Posted on: 2013/5/14 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foobar wrote:
The first Liberty Marathon through Liberty State Park, Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken and Weehawken. Starts and ends at Grand Street.

May 25th 2013.

Some of the course looks pretty random but might be fun. Also, looks like registration is not yet working.

The half-marathon and marathon scheduled to take place Saturday, May 25, have been cancelled. It sounds like the organizers couldn't get permission to use Jersey City streets because of construction.

The organizers weren't able to make any other accommodations. I'm kind of pissed at them for letting this happen. Like anyone else registered for one of the runs, I've been working toward it for months now. The web site was so amateur that I was always afraid they didn't have the know-how to pull this off.

Posted on: 2013/5/14 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is also a 5K on 6/15 to benefit TECCS School: http://www.readwriterun5k.com/Read_Write_%26_Run_5K.html Then there is the Party With Purpose 5K in Hoboken on 7/16: http://www.partywithpurpose.org/ Lots of races.
Quote:

Jumba72 wrote:
I ran the half marathon just after 9/11 and it went off without a hitch. Just a slight reroute even as LSP was still mostly closed. I've since cut back in distance. There's a 5K on 6/9 for charity. You can register at www.TackleSickleCell.org

Posted on: 2013/3/21 12:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
I can't wait for the bridge to be back and the park to be reopened! For long runs I have been running along the waterfront to weehawkin and back. 12 got me to the ferry terminal.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 2:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
I ran the half marathon just after 9/11 and it went off without a hitch. Just a slight reroute even as LSP was still mostly closed. I've since cut back in distance. There's a 5K on 6/9 for charity. You can register at www.TackleSickleCell.org

Posted on: 2013/3/21 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
nikyrob - I have tons of routes on Gmap-Pedometer. I am constantly creating and deleting routes on that site. I also use it to log all my runs, shoe miles, etc.

I'll pm you once I figure out how to grab a route link from the site.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, HPYC - do you by any chance have the route you are describing mapped that you could provide a link to? I'm also in the Hamilton Park area & am looking for a new running route. I'm training for a half and have been bored with my usual route. I need to get in a 12 miler this weekend.

I have nothing too exciting to share, I just usually run LSP. Without the footbridge, I've been running down Jersey Ave from Hamilton Park, right on Grand, left on Woodward, left on Jonhston through to the park & then Freedman Way to the very end. So much of the park is still closed - BORING!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:04
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On a side note, I've been mapping out some long runs to get ready for the half. I ran a great 11-mile route from Hamilton Park up the Palisade (hills) to Blvd East (awesome views) and back via the waterfront and Hoboken. I'm sure I didn't pioneer this route, and I'd be interested in any other long runs that runners on this forum have done.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I registered for the half a couple weeks ago. I'm optimistic that it happens. They've set quite a task for themselves with so many events. Hope they post the route for the half soon.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 3:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/20 2:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
I've also heard the course is not set in stone as the organizers don't have street permits, etc. so keep an open mind. You might be running around Hamilton Park on the sidewalk 70.8 times if they can't get permits!

I'm all for more road races in Hudson County but no street permits, course subject to change, but it's up on the website? No thanks. That marathon course looks brutal, a lot of out and back routes into Bayonne and then Weehawken from Jersey City, which you runners know is not ideal when running 26.2!

Anyway, I'd welcome another half, the Newport Half is all we got and that is a out and back (with an annoying switchback in LSP), I'd love to run a new route through Jersey City or Hudson County. A Bayonne to Weehawken river run could quite do it!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am already registered for the Half. It was working a couple of weeks ago. Maybe a glitch. I've also heard the course is not set in stone as the organizers don't have street permits, etc. so keep an open mind. You might be running around Hamilton Park on the sidewalk 70.8 times if they can't get permits!

Edit - I just went back on the site. Looks like the registration (through Active.com) is working fine. Sign up!

Posted on: 2013/3/19 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
This is the first I heard of it... I am interested in running it.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 17:52

Liberty Marathon and Half Marathon

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

May 25th 2013.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 16:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017