Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jerry Walker for Jersey City Mayor 2013
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City cops break up candidate's 'haircuts for the homeless' event

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on May 07, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Jersey City mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker wanted to give away free haircuts to the homeless and poor in Journal Square today, but the unusual campaign event turned into a minor headache when he had to shut it down prematurely.

Turns out Walker, a former hoops star at St. Anthony High School, didn?t have a permit to host three barbers giving away free haircuts by the Journal Square 9/11 Memorial Fountain. Police officers told him he had to shut down the operation.

Walker said the officers? actions are precisely why his campaign?s slogan is ?People Before Politics.?

?We?re just trying to lend a helping hand, that?s it,? he said.

Walker's team set up the haircut stations at about noon today. Within minutes, police officers approached to say he needed a permit. By about 12:30, Walker agreed to shut it down.

Walker had some members of his City Council slate in attendance, including Adela Rohena, an activist who is running for the Ward C council seat. The team had taped campaign signs to the fountain and trees.

Walker is one of three men challenging Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the Tuesday, May 14 city election. Walker

?I wouldn?t blame it on the mayor,? Walker said. ?But it?s the police department, he?s the chief in charge, right??

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said park permits must be obtained to host events in that area of Journal Square.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_election_2013_cops.html

Posted on: 2013/5/8 4:11

Re: Jerry Walker house-hunting in Jersey City, sparking speculation of mayoral run
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Grace Giron for Ward D is placing post cards on cars. On the bottom of the cards it states "People Before Politics," Paid for by Friends of Walker Team and his campaign URL.

Putting flyers on cars is illegal.

People Before Politics, but Politics Before Cars. Read the fine print.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 20:40
Follow the yellow brick road.

Re: Jerry Walker house-hunting in Jersey City, sparking speculation of mayoral run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Grace Giron for Ward D is placing post cards on cars. On the bottom of the cards it states "People Before Politics," Paid for by Friends of Walker Team and his campaign URL.

Putting flyers on cars is illegal.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:47

Re: Jersey City election 2013: Walker interview
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
His candidacy doesn't make much sense. He has no particular agenda, no relevant experience and very little chance of winning. What is his actual agenda?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
He?s running, he said, because he believes most people in Jersey City want an alternative.

That's a branding statement, not a platform or a vision. Tom's of Maine is an alternative to Crest and Colgate.

What kind of alternative is he?

I don't know anything about Mr. Walker besides what I read. his website (working today) is really light on substance. Having played basketball is fine, but it isn't one of the things I would see as a prerequisite for office.

Does he know how city government works? Has he done anything to get laws passed or policies implemented? What kind of support does he have in the city? I could probably get a dozen people to march with me in the St. Patrick's Day parade, but that's a long way from city hall.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:19
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

InsideStraight wrote:
There are a number of interesting things.

First is the way he tries to tie himself to Glenn and Sandy Cunningham. He says he deferred running until it was clear that Sandy Cunningham was out of the race.

Second, he pretty much concedes that he is focused on African American votes.

Third is the amount of time devoted to a defense of his Jersey City residency. "I?ve been living here over a year."

And finally, he stakes out community policing as his signature issue. Although Fulop has been talking about this for some time and released a detailed policy paper on it, Walker says "that?s the one thing in my platform I really want to emphasize."

If anyone can point us to his platform, I'd like to see it. His website, under "Walker's Platform," links to a page called bio-2. This is a piece credited to Jennifer Gonzalez which talks mostly about his basketball career. The closest it gets to policy is talking about the value of "constructive alternatives to the negative influences of the inner city," and saying that education is important.

Sounds to me his campaign is one sided strictly on the basis of his ethnic background and only the neighborhood they live in, similar to that of the other candidate and his pro gender/agenda issue. I would like to hear Walker speak everyday issues that plague our city whether it is the constant wait for the court to answer their phones, the constant wait for tree trimmings, and the constant wait for maintenance of out infrastructure. These are just a few of the issues that the residents have to contend with day to day.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
He?s running, he said, because he believes most people in Jersey City want an alternative.

Amen!

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
There are a number of interesting things.

First is the way he tries to tie himself to Glenn and Sandy Cunningham. He says he deferred running until it was clear that Sandy Cunningham was out of the race.

Second, he pretty much concedes that he is focused on African American votes.

Third is the amount of time devoted to a defense of his Jersey City residency. "I?ve been living here over a year."

And finally, he stakes out community policing as his signature issue. Although Fulop has been talking about this for some time and released a detailed policy paper on it, Walker says "that?s the one thing in my platform I really want to emphasize."

If anyone can point us to his platform, I'd like to see it. His website, under "Walker's Platform," links to a page called bio-2. This is a piece credited to Jennifer Gonzalez which talks mostly about his basketball career. The closest it gets to policy is talking about the value of "constructive alternatives to the negative influences of the inner city," and saying that education is important.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 15:54

Jersey City election 2013: Walker interview
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
There's not much out there from Jerry Walker. This is the first thing of much substance I've seen. Jersey City mayoral candidate Jerry Walker: The PolitickerNJ.com Interview

SAMPLE:

Asked about how much money he has raised or will raise toward his Jersey City mayoral campaign and ex-Seton Hall basketball star Jerry Walker thunders against drugs on the streets, including what he calls the latest worst affliction to local youth called dip: PCP dipped in embalming fluid and smoked.

?It?s driving them crazy,? said Walker, who founded and runs his own after-school non-profit, Team Walker. ?It?s turning them into zombies.?

Overshadowed to date by incumbent Jersey City Mayor Jerry Healy and Downtown City Councilman Steve Fulop, Walker has raised little money to date in his quest to be the next mayor, but he claims that simply enhances his ability to resist special interests as he attempts to reconceive a people?s city hall.

Read more at http://www.politickernj.com/63976/jer ... m-interview#ixzz2NciaqWno
or sign up for a free trial of State Street Wire at http://www.politickernj.com/freetrial

Posted on: 2013/3/15 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayoral candidate Walker adds school board member, ex-official and cop to ticket

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 05, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Jersey City mayoral candidate Jerry Walker announced yesterday that three City Council candidates have joined his ticket for May?s city election, including the sitting vice president of the Board of Education.
Sterling Waterman, elected to the school board in 2010 and formerly the board?s president, will run at large, along with lawyer and former city attorney Sean M. Connelly and city police officer Ram?n ?Ray? Regalado.

?I am very excited to announce these honorable citizens as part of my team,? Walker said in a statement from his campaign.

?They all agree to work and focus on my four-point plan: to educate our youth, to bring down crime, to hold real estate interests accountable and to give average city residents more economic opportunity.?

Waterman is a former ally of Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, who is also running for mayor on May 14.

Regalado has previously said that he planned to run for mayor.

In the statement, Walker?s trio of at-large candidates blasted the city?s ?unbearable taxes? and ?demeaning quality of life? and pledged to make ?positive changes.?

Walker, a former basketball star at St. Anthony High School and Seton Hall University, hopped into the mayoral race last month, saying education is his top priority. He heads Team Walker, a nonprofit that runs an after-school program in Jersey City offering educational and recreational components.

Walker will face Fulop and Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who is running for a third term.

The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs on Tuesday, May 14.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... idate_1.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/5 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Basketball star and Jersey City mayoral candidate Jerry Walker distributes goods to Sandy victims

By Rafal Rogoza / The Jersey Journal
January 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

To help residents effected by Hurricane Sandy basketball star and Jersey City mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker held a supply and clothing giveaway at a city park this afternoon.

"There's a lot of people still struggling out here and we are just trying to play our part," said Walker, who organized the event by teaming up with the North Carolina based disaster relief organization Hearts With Hands.

Around 5:30 a.m. at Lena Edwards Park, at the corner of Pine Street and Johnston Avenue, roughly a hundred volunteers began distributing supplies that included cloths, bathroom goods, food, toys, and pet food, Walker said.

The supplies cost an estimated $50,000, Walker said, adding that the funding came from him and Hearts With Hands.

Earlier this afternoon about two dozen residents were on hand at the park. Some picked up bottled water and others were browsing through boxes full of toys and cloths.

Among them was 45-year-old Mary Ortiz of Van Horne Street who came with her sisters and niece to pickup somethings for her family. Ortiz said she heard about the supply distribution through word of mouth and said that it's not much but it will help her to save some cash for more important needs.

"I don't have insurance now so this will help," she said.

On the scene were also two crisis councilors who were on hand to help residents who may be emotionally suffering from the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy when it devastated the area on Oct. 29

Supplies will be passed out until 4 p.m. today at two locations: Lena Edwards Park and at the HUB shopping plaza by Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Ege Avenue.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _star_and_jersey_cit.html

Posted on: 2013/1/19 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
To help residents effected by Hurricane Sandy basketball star and Jersey City mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker held a supply and clothing giveaway at a city park this afternoon.

"There's a lot of people still struggling out here and we are just trying to play our part," said Walker, who organized the event by teaming up with the North Carolina based disaster relief organization Hearts With Hands.

Around 5:30 a.m. at Lena Edwards Park, at the corner of Pine Street and Johnston Avenue, roughly a hundred volunteers began distributing supplies that included cloths, bathroom goods, food, toys, and pet food, Walker said.

The supplies cost an estimated $50,000, Walker said, adding that the funding came from him and Hearts With Hands.

Earlier this afternoon about two dozen residents were on hand at the park. Some picked up bottled water and others were browsing through boxes full of toys and cloths.

Among them was 45-year-old Mary Ortiz of Van Horne Street who came with her sisters and niece to pickup somethings for her family. Ortiz said she heard about the supply distribution through word of mouth and said that it's not much but it will help her to save some cash for more important needs.

"I don't have insurance now so this will help," she said.

On the scene were also two crisis councilors who were on hand to help residents who may be emotionally suffering from the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy when it devastated the area on Oct. 29.

Supplies will be passed out until 4 p.m. today at two locations: Lena Edwards Park and at the HUB shopping plaza by Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Ege Avenue.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I think it would be very interesting to discover who is financing Walker's campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Healy's campaign. Neat trick.

Makes sense. Walker hasn't a chance of winning, but he could pull votes from Fulop.
Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Posted on: 2013/1/18 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
What would be interesting is if Healy wins in a landslide victory.

"Interesting" in the way that syphilis is "interesting"?

Posted on: 2013/1/17 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I think it would be very interesting to discover who is financing Walker's campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if it is Healy's campaign. Neat trick.

Makes sense. Walker hasn't a chance of winning, but he could pull votes from Fulop.

Why cound't Walker pull votes from both candidates ? What would be interesting is if Healy wins in a landslide victory.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 19:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/17 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, the funniest part of the video is when Healy laughs while saying that his campaign will 'focus on all the good things he has accompished that benefit Jersey City.' Even he cant keep a straight face about that statement

Posted on: 2013/1/17 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/16 19:03
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitandrun wrote:

DanL: and you are one of those trolls with numerous handles. why not try posting under one name ....

You mean like "DanL" and "OneJC" ?

I think everyone knows that DanL is Dan Levin, and that he posts campaign related announcements under the OneJC handle.

Well if not, you now do.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hitandrun wrote:
[quote]
user1111 wrote:
Jerry Walker, a former basketball star for Seton Hall University and St. Anthony High School is house-hunting...

Where does he live now?

[quote]
If you look at the date when this was posted it was the beginning of last year, he now lives in the Lafayette section of the city.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jerry Walker, a former basketball star for Seton Hall University and St. Anthony High School is house-hunting...

Where does he live now?

Quote:

DanL: and you are one of those trolls with numerous handles. why not try posting under one name ....

You mean like "DanL" and "OneJC" ?

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Mr Levin, why do you respond to "trolls" on a trivial issue while ignoring questions about the tainted money funding your campaign and about your policy proposals?

Posted on: 2013/1/16 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Not to downplay the good work that Jerry Walker has done and he has BUT -

Interesting that someone who works part-time for the recreation dept. and is probably getting grants from the city should run against the entity that is in part funding him.

Remember a couple of years back when Lou Manzo was running (again), that the hcdo tried to put Ray Manzo a parking authority worker on the ballot? The reasoning was that they thought people were so stupid that they wouldn't know one Manzo from the other.

Just saying.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
really, not, he is on the money with 1,300 plus. if he is correct on this, what else is he correct on.

and you are one of those trolls with numerous handles. why not try posting under one name ....

Mayor and at-large candidates must get valid signatures from 1,331 registered Jersey City voters ? that?s more signatures than you need to run for U.S. Senator or governor, Byrne noted ? while ward council candidates must cross a smaller threshold

Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:

Maybe the most interesting thing is when you play the video starting from the 1:00 minute point. Healy doesn't know the number of signatures required to get on the ballot (he's off by almost 40%, hope he's got people to take care of that for him). Then he refers to Commissioner (not Councilman) Fulop.

I guess you've got to get your quotes from him earlier in the day.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 13:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

Maybe the most interesting thing is when you play the video starting from the 1:00 minute point. Healy doesn't know the number of signatures required to get on the ballot (he's off by almost 40%, hope he's got people to take care of that for him). Then he refers to Commissioner (not Councilman) Fulop.

I guess you've got to get your quotes from him earlier in the day.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Focus on education first. Why didn't someone else think of that?

Oh, wait . . .

Posted on: 2013/1/16 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Among my long list of pet peeves is people who think they're entitled to start a political career at the top because they're rich, famous or both. Walker would have a lot more credibility if he spent some time in the council trenches the way Cunningham, Healy and Fulop did. It's one of the things DanL did wrong, going right for the top rather than snagging a council seat.

Of beginner pols who started at the executive level, only Bloomberg comes to mind as successful. But even being a self made billionaire is no guarantee, Corzine sucked and there's no doubt Ross Perot would have been a disastrous President.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Walker says education is his top priority in announcing run for Jersey City mayor

By Ana Ferrer/The Jersey Journal
January 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Amid cheers from a small but vocal crowd, former basketball star Jerry Walker announced his bid for mayor of Jersey City.

"I love this city, and I want to change its direction," Walker said at a press conference in Journal Square today.

Walker, who grew up in Jersey City and starred at St. Anthony High and Seton Hall University, is the founder of the nonprofit Team Walker organization, which operates after-school programs for Jersey City's youth. Walker said he has stepped down as president of the organization to focus on the mayoral campaign.

Walker said he has a four-point plan to improve Jersey City, with education as the number one priority.

"Every kid in this city can learn," he said, referring to perennially low scores by the city's public school students on standardized tests.

Crime, economic development and "holding real estate interests accountable" are Walker's other priorities, he said yesterday.

Incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop are considered the frontrunners in the May 14 non-partisan election.

"Jersey City can get ugly, but I'm ready for the fight," Walker said.

Walker, who lives in the Lafayette section of Jersey City, said that during his time playing basketball professionally in Europe, Jersey City was always the "number one" city he would talk about.

"I never left Jersey City, I've been here all my life. It really is my home," he said.

Community activist Adela Rohena said Walker represents "all sections of Jersey City" and the Latino community supports him because of "his hard work and dedication to Jersey City."

Walker, who has held a permanent part-time position with Jersey City as a Department of Recreation supervisor since 2004, said he'll announce soon a full slate of city council candidates.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... s_his_t.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/1/16 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/16 0:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username: