Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS PIPELINE COMING - through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Score09 - are you sure this is the spectra pipeline project? I didn't know they were over in that area yet.

Have you seen the actual pipeline? Its HUGE! and incredibly scary.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/18 1:42
From Botswana
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to say that I live on 7th and Brunswick and that this morning I was laying on my couch at approximately 9:30AM and the three story building I live in started to shake, as if some type of earthquake tremor. Not too severe but the essentially, my couch was in vibrate mode. So, I am pretty sure that I can hear the source of the tremor. I walk out my building over to 9th street and walk behind Jones park, underneath the turnpike. There a crew with some huge missile like machine was sitting and standing around while this huge missile was hammering into the ground. It was so loud I had to wave one of the guys standing around over to me. He and the rest all were wearing earplugs, lol. As he stood next to me, I asked him at the top of my lungs what on earth were they doing and told him that my building was shaking. I think he stated that they were removing some "casing" from the ground and that they would be done by day's end. I left him and walking back to my place along Brunswick avenue, I met a neighbor who was airing out his hot air balloon along the sidewalk. I inquired of him and he stated that he has tried to convince city officials, especially the cops, that this fracking (or whatever it is they are doing back there) is rocking the foundations of buildings within a large circumference....like three or four blocks... but that nothing can be done because Spectra is paying everyone off, especially the cops. This was the gist of what he said. Anyway, long story short, what should I do? This isn't the first time that my building has been rocking back and fourth because of the tremendous disturbance underneath the turnpike. It has happened on several occasions. Is there a compliant bureau where folks can go on record? I am seeing firsthand how corporations come before people in American society.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Is there seriously nothing more that we or our government can do to stop this damned thing? Seems folks in NYC are JUST waking up to this and circulating a petition on MoveOn. Gee, thanks guys - way to pay attention.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/3 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Media Bistro is reporting the difficult times that local media is having in Little Rock concerning the current ExxonMobil Oil Spill

Media Bistro -- TV Insider Article

Little Rock Stations Grapple with Covering Local Oil Spill
By Kevin Eck on April 9, 2013 11:50 AM

As Central Arkansas news stations continue to report on an oil spill in Mayflower, just north of Little Rock, there are concerns ExxonMobil, which owns the burst Pegasus pipeline, is controlling the storyline.

Mother Jones reports on the difficulties some reporters are facing ? including threats of arrest ? while covering the spill. On March 29, a 20-inch buried pipeline burst in the town, releasing oil into local backyards and streets and, as one local station discovered, a nearby lake.

TVSpy checked in with several Little Rock stations to find out how they?re covering the story. We reached out to FOX and NBC affiliates KLRT and KARK, ABC affiliate KATV and CBS affiliate KTHV.

KATV news director Nick Genty says none of his reporters have been threatened with arrest, but says reporting the story has been a challenge. ?Some of the issues that we have run into are that Exxon is running the show at the site. When we try to get information from local law enforcement, they direct us to the PR from Exxon.?

?We have found other ways to obtain video,? Genty says, ?mostly from viewers that have sent in cell phone video from inside the neighborhood.?

?I wouldn?t say they?re controlling the county officials,? KLRT-KARK news director Austin Kellerman says. ?I think the county officials are deferring to Exxon because of their experience handling events of this nature.?

Kellerman adds that guided tours of the area add to the notion that Exxon is controlling the narrative.

?I think it?s unfortunate Exxon has only allowed media in the impacted neighborhood for guided tours during times of their choosing,? he says. ?However, I understand there are safety concerns with a situation like this. There have been times we?ve asked to go into the neighborhood and been told by Exxon we could not. County officials supported that decision.?

Genty?s team has taken those guided tours adding that aerial coverage is another issue. ?There were some questions about the ?no fly? zone, but when we pushed the issue, they (the FAA) reduced the level and allowed KATV to fly over the site.?

?When we put in a request for an interview, tour of homes, etc., they?ve replied,? says Kellerman. ?It hasn?t always been the response we?ve wanted, but they?re responding.?

?Getting the information out and not just being a mouthpiece for Exxon is a delicate dance,? says Genty. ?We need Exxon for info. However, we can and still question what they release. Exxon said there is no oil in Lake Conway, we brought the Attorney General on to our morning show and for the first time, an official went on record to say ?yes, there is oil in the lake.??

?This is a story that will be going on for a long time,? says Genty. ?It?s compelling, relevant and the people of Mayflower and the state of Arkansas have the right to know.?

Kellerman has invited an Exxon representative on to KLRT-KARK, ?At this point, they haven?t made anyone available.?

Posted on: 2013/4/9 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
This is a tough one because there is very little that local government, or our Mayor, can do to stop this pipeline. It is crazy, bt we are virtually powerless over this thing. FERC has absolute control over whether this pipeline is allowed - City government by damn8d. Everyone opposes it but we are powerless to stop it. That is what makes it so frustrating.

That is why, as citizens, we need to make our voice heard and get out there and protest this pipeline. Spectra is counting on the fact that the general public won't care what the hell happens to Jersey City. If we don't care, nobody else will.

I'll add it one more time - Shame on you Spectra and all individuals associated with this pipeline. It must be awful carrying this on your conscience for the rest of your life.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ConcernedJC wrote:
Why has the gas pipeline disaster not been raised at any of the debates?

What is the matter with JC?

Perhaps because all the candidates agree on opposing it?

Or actually secretly agree not to oppose it.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 10:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ConcernedJC wrote:

Perhaps because all the candidates agree on opposing it?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 2:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/5 2:35
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/5 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/4 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Washington's Exploding Manhole covers are due to natural gas leaks.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow ... ng-manholes-e.html?ref=hp

Posted on: 2013/3/27 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Marylee is just a Spectra mouthpiece - if you actually want to reach someone meaningful I'd start with the Jersey City assemblymen, then state congressmen & senators, and governor.

Trying to persuade Spectra to change their course seems like a huge waste of time.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/29 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
MHanley@spectraenergy.com
Marylee Hanley, Director, Stakeholder Outreach

(617) 694-3016
(617) 560-1573

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra pipeline contractor slapped with $70K in fines for work in Bayonne

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
March 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

A construction company installing a portion of the controversial Spectra natural gas pipeline in Bayonne has been fined $70,000 by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

OSHA initiated an investigation under its national emphasis program on trenching and excavation and has slapped Henkels & McCoy Inc., the contractor, with $70,000 in penalties, officials said Friday.

The company, whose Pipeline Division is based in Oklahoma, was working on Hook Road, said U.S. Department of Labor spokeswoman Joanna Hawkins.

"This company has a responsibility to ensure that workers are properly protected from known workplace hazards, such as trench cave-ins, a leading cause of death and injury in excavation work," said Kris Hoffman, director of OSHA's Parsippany area office. "OSHA will continue to hold employers accountable when they fail to protect their workers."

Workers in an 11-foot deep trench were working without the proper protection and were exposed to potential injuries from a potential cave-in, officials said. The same violation was cited against the company in 2011, Hawkins said.

Henkels & McCoy Inc. has 15 business days from receipt of the citations to comply, request an informal conference with the OSHA area director, or contest the citations and proposed penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.

A message posted on the company's website said it considers "exceptional" workplace safety a core value of the company and that it takes the OSHA citation very seriously.

"In response, we are thoroughly investigating the entire matter as outlined in the OSHA action and will provide to the Agency a formal response as provided in the regulations," the message reads.

Houston-based Spectra Energy is building the pipeline which passes through Bayonne, Jersey City and offshore Hoboken.

The pipeline, which will supply power to residents in New York, has drawn stiff opposition from Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and others. Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith negotiated changes to the originally proposed route of the pipeline to move it away from residential neighborhoods.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ctors_s.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/25 7:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
And why didn't Spectra nor FERC address any of these concerns when asked?

Because they don't give a rat's patootey about what happens after the start raking in the revenue.

They knew that without the Governor taking a stand, municipalities and citizens don't have any chance at all of stopping this, because they helped write the laws which assure there is no meaningful local control.

And the long-term risk to them means nothing, but the extra cost of running the pipe underwater was money out of the current management's pockets.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Brightmoment: Do you have the names and addresses/phone of Spectra top management (CEO, etc), as well as name and address of project manager for the JC pipeline? If so, could you post the name and contact information to this thread so that interested parties may contact them?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
We don't need to look at invented hypotheticals like this; we already have a good idea of the risks, based on decades of data.

Your scenario also plays up the "unlikely but spectacular" nature of this risk, rather than looking at how often lines actually do have errors. It also presumes that this extremely rare event must happen in the spot where it will do substantial damage.

More to the point is that we already live with similar risks every single day. We just don't think about them.

Nobody constructs any piece of engineering by simply looking at past probabilities, no more than people drive simply by watching their rear-view mirror.

How many pipelines have been laid alongside train tracks carrying chlorine gas? Under a series of converging high traffic overpasses? Beside a main tunnel artery into and out of one of the world's biggest cities? In an area that is continually under redevelopment, including new construction and infrastructure maintenance? On a FEMA recognised flood plain? That has 2 hurricanes hit in as many years, causing widespread power outages and mandatory evacuations? In an area that is a primary terrorist target?

What are the historical stats on that?

And why didn't Spectra nor FERC address any of these concerns when asked?

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Let's say it pollutes all of the hudson and kills a million fish as compared to giving one child lifelong health problems. I will take it polluting the Hudson any day of the week.

As far as I know, there's no indication of gas transmission lines giving children health problems.

In fact, one of the major reasons for running the new pipelines (albeit not in a specific location) is to replace the oil burners in Manhattan, which are a major source of pollution and presumably asthma rates. If you've ever seen the columns of black smoke from a building in Manhattan, that's the type of oil burner they're trying to phase out and replace with NG.

Quote:
Do you see the fallacy of your argument? You are saying, "IF IT DOES LEAK" then saying "It's not a death trap."

No, I'm openly saying "I don't know." It may be in the EIS or in FERC's documentation. Like I said, all I can do is guess.

I don't know which method is more expensive (nor am I the one to ask). Laying pipe in water is probably faster, might require fewer workers, and has less legal opposition.

What I do know is that Spectra re-routed sections of the pipeline off of land and into water for parts of northern Staten Island, and a stretch on the southern end of Bayonne. It apparently was done in response to community opposition and with input from FERC. (http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... roved_to_run_natural.html)

Quote:
Let's just assume that it's an extremely safe pipeline with only 1 error in a million pipes built....

Unfortunately, that's not the right way to assess risks.

We don't need to look at invented hypotheticals like this; we already have a good idea of the risks, based on decades of data.

Your scenario also plays up the "unlikely but spectacular" nature of this risk, rather than looking at how often lines actually do have errors. It also presumes that this extremely rare event must happen in the spot where it will do substantial damage.

More to the point is that we already live with similar risks every single day. We just don't think about them.

So gas leaks don't give anyone health problems? That is weird because aren't we suppose to report gas leaks ASAP. Regardless of health problems. Just answer this one question:

If the pipeline EXPLODES (I know, it's nearly impossible according to you), do you want it exploding in the hudson or near schools, homes, and offices in the second most populated city in NJ?

You know damn well it is more expensive to route this under water and Spectra has given no reason why 90% of this pipe isn't water besides, "It costs more and money is worth more than human life to me and my shareholders."

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Let's see. I'm going to attack you personally, so there's no misunderstanding. It's personal.

You joined : 2012/8/6 18:56
You have : Comments/Posts 45

and 22 out of 45 your posts are arguments that the Spectra Pipeline is SAFE.

Well? Who the Fcuk are you?

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Dolomiti,

You have not answered my question:

For the 3rd time, where do YOU live in relation to the Spectra pipeline?

I bet my risk is higher than yours.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Let's say it pollutes all of the hudson and kills a million fish as compared to giving one child lifelong health problems. I will take it polluting the Hudson any day of the week.

As far as I know, there's no indication of gas transmission lines giving children health problems.

In fact, one of the major reasons for running the new pipelines (albeit not in a specific location) is to replace the oil burners in Manhattan, which are a major source of pollution and presumably asthma rates. If you've ever seen the columns of black smoke from a building in Manhattan, that's the type of oil burner they're trying to phase out and replace with NG.

Quote:
Do you see the fallacy of your argument? You are saying, "IF IT DOES LEAK" then saying "It's not a death trap."

No, I'm openly saying "I don't know." It may be in the EIS or in FERC's documentation. Like I said, all I can do is guess.

I don't know which method is more expensive (nor am I the one to ask). Laying pipe in water is probably faster, might require fewer workers, and has less legal opposition.

What I do know is that Spectra re-routed sections of the pipeline off of land and into water for parts of northern Staten Island, and a stretch on the southern end of Bayonne. It apparently was done in response to community opposition and with input from FERC. (http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... roved_to_run_natural.html)

Quote:
Let's just assume that it's an extremely safe pipeline with only 1 error in a million pipes built....

Unfortunately, that's not the right way to assess risks.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quite frankly, I happen to disagree with Dolomiti, and I am as against this pipeline as anyone....

Thanks, I appreciate both your comments and your civil disagreement.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here's was my challenging of motivation (or lack of concern), I asked Dolomiti twice where he lived in relation to the pipeline and he has not responded. So in the innocent scenario, he doesn't care because his home is not in imminent danger. That makes you an undesirable resident of Jersey City.

Also he does not address the fact that there was an alternate route that may raise the price of gas vs. the probability of death and destruction. This is NOT an acceptable risk. It has never been. I don't care for his statistical reasoning as we know that there are Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.

So Dolomiti, I say go F*CK yourself.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quite frankly, I happen to disagree with Dolomiti, and I am as against this pipeline as anyone. But even worse than the pipeline is the way you are all attacking him. He is as entitled to his view as you are to yours. Question his views, that's fine, but don't attack him personally for having them. Unless you know who he actually works for, or who he's related to, you have no right to make some of the statements you folks are making. The old adage about this country still should be in place, but it gets lost way to often in this day and age, "I might disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." You should all be ashamed for the comments you are making about him.

...and challenging someone's motivation doesn't fit your definition of freedom of speech?

Why don't you just follow Spectra and FERC's example? Give everyone an opportunity to speak, ask questions and pass comment. Then simply ignore it.

I didn't see just a "challenging of motivation," I saw insults and insinuation, very little of which was based on fact, about the gentleman. And that's what takes it to a lower level.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This thread is about the pipeline neither for nor against it. When they had an open forum for the public to attend there were a few in the crowd that were in agreement with the installation of the pipeline throughout Jersey City as well as a majority that were against it. The forum was a venue for information not a vote or a public survey.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 23:13
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quite frankly, I happen to disagree with Dolomiti, and I am as against this pipeline as anyone. But even worse than the pipeline is the way you are all attacking him. He is as entitled to his view as you are to yours. Question his views, that's fine, but don't attack him personally for having them. Unless you know who he actually works for, or who he's related to, you have no right to make some of the statements you folks are making. The old adage about this country still should be in place, but it gets lost way to often in this day and age, "I might disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." You should all be ashamed for the comments you are making about him.

...and challenging someone's motivation doesn't fit your definition of freedom of speech?

Why don't you just follow Spectra and FERC's example? Give everyone an opportunity to speak, ask questions and pass comment. Then simply ignore it.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/24 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Dolomiti is not being honest with us. He has some sort of affiliation with SPectra, whether its trhough a family member or friend. In any event, it is people like him that make this world a worse place to live in. Selfish and shameful. You can't reason with people like him because they don't have the capacity for self reflection.

In other news, the pipe lis going in through liberty state park. My husband was just running through there and saw it. We need to start organizing protests during construction.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly - the sheer volume of gas flowing (2" vs 30" & 6psi vs 1000 psi) amplifies the risk of a potential event.

A residential gas line fire could pose a risk to residents and damage buildings, but a transmission pipeline explosion could destroy 100 buildings, especially being densely packed in JC.

The risk of explosion is far more serious than a simple gas fire.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Dolomiti -this pipeline is being built within 100 feet of an elementary school and a high school. Also my house. I have a baby. Would you like to be living within 100 feet of 30 inch highly pressurized gas pipeline?

Yes. I am categorically stating that I am not any more concerned about a gas transmission pipeline than I am any other residential gas pipeline.

I do not believe that you, or your child, or the students of the school, or myself or anyone else is facing a significantly elevated risk because of this pipeline.

Quote:
Do you think that this would be acceptable if it was being built through a densly populated Summit, NJ community?

Gas pipelines already run through many densely populated communities on their way to the Linden, NJ storage facility. Big cities like Boston, NYC, Philly and DC all need transmission lines.

Or, in California, transmission pipelines run through a variety of densely populated and affluent cities like San Francisco, San Jose, Santa Cruz, Monterey and Berkeley. (see http://www.pge.com/myhome/edusafety/s ... as/transmissionpipelines/) And those lines run right through dozens of residential neighborhoods.

there is a HUGE difference between the gas lines that crisscross every city and the high-pressure, high-capacity time bomb they're foisting onto us. this is new, imperfect technology with a short-but-spotty track record. and we're the guinea pigs.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 6:33

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017