Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: We seek a unified Jersey City, not a divided one
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure "crazyforjc" claims a Grand st. address with his buddy Dom for employment purposes but actually lives down in Monmouth County.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 3:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Crazyforjc. Just leave. You claim to know the psyche of downtown residents but claim they want walmarts. JajajajJa. You are hilarious. Get out of the mayors pocketbook and go back to east brunswick.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:
Ms osbourne

I dont know anything about you or your politics. As a jc resident my entire life, I do see your point about having a unified city.

If you were from jc, you would realize that jc has always been a unified place. The different neighborhoods could always relate to each other because one thingunified us, jc...exit 15e . Etc.

Th downtown began to change, a different type of person began to show up. There is nothing wrong with different, but early newporters wanted to have their own zip codes, their own police, even to secede from jc. It was ridiculous.

Fast forward to today, we are in the midst of an election tht is very important to our city's future. One side is the current mayor, winner of two previous elections and champion of joey jersey city. He brings 8 years of experience as mayor to the table. He brings documented information, crime stats, jobs, etc with him. Many fulop people may dispute the numbers, but thats for the voters to decide.

The fulop slate, in my opinion, is full of people who frown on jc for what it has been over decades and want to change it for their own benefit. Besides a turkey giveaway, or toy drive, when and where has the fulop ticket been in terms of wards a, b, c, d, and f. IMO, the divide comes in because the average person on the city feels this is an election about class, as opposed to who the better candidate is. Ifbyou speak to the average person on kennedy blvd, or westside ave, all they know is that healy is running against the guy from downtown.

Is it ignorant, sure, is it misinfomed, sure, but it is what it is. The divide is not coming from the healy camp, they are defending the rest of the city from the corporate takeover of jersey city.

If the situation w dr lyles and chris cerf is any indicator, fulop is nothing more than a wolf in sheeps clothing. He is doing the same thing he is preaching against. Look at fairview insurance.

You arent from jeresey city so stop acting! let us take care of our own house. Where did you grow up, what school did you go to? Having grown up on 16th st i can tell u that what we care about is crime and the only candidate with ideas to fix it is steve fulop. You can name two streets but no one that lives here, especially not born here, would say "joey jersey city" or talk about an exit to get to jc (i had to loook that one up) from the burbs as a unifier. Ive never known jc to be unified but the truth is "a house divided cannot stand" and if healys way to try to stay in office so he can keep hookin up his pals is to try to seperate us further then he better get his resume cleaned up cause were about to put him out of work! And you can bet on that!

Posted on: 2013/2/18 2:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
Whether you have lived here for 50 years, 10 years, or moved here last month, you are a part of this city and deserve to make it the best it can be, which is exactly what we should do.

Amen, Candice. I've lived in Jersey City 25 years. I give thanks to God that we moved here, for I've fallen in love with Jersey City. The City seduced me. And not just downtown, but the whole city.

I can't slice and dice between all the categories people will use to try and divide us. I go to church downtown, I live on the west side, my office is in Ward F. What does that make me? It makes me JERSEY CITY and PROUD!

We need a leader with a vision that makes us bigger as a community, not smaller.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I've never seen a community hate it's downtown as much as jersey city. You would think downtown was a crime ridden, abandoned, ghetto like some parts of greenville. oops, did I let the cat out of the bag?

DTJC, compared to other parts of JC, is safe, brings in investment, attracts NYers and others with income to spend in JC restaurants and stores, attracts developers, attracts businesses, and gives JC a slight bump in the natl press (nytimes articles, food reviews, our mayor on ccn to name just a few things). Without DTJC, JC would be nothing.

And believe me, the LAST thing you should worry about is the rest of JC turning into newport. Why don't you worry about greenville, with the numerous gangs and weekly murders, spreading to the rest of JC?

As a DTJC'er, I don't want to secede from JC. I want GV, BL, Heights to become more like downtown - JC would be better for it but this stupid thinking and bashing of DTJC has to stop. It is literally, biting the hand that feeds you.

If Lefrak and those new developments never took a risk in downtown, downtown would be greenvilee part 2. Who the heck wants that?

Posted on: 2013/2/18 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Some people in downtown need some culture for sure, but most of us all want the same things - safe & clean streets, accountable city representatives, thriving small businesses, good schools, etc.

If the downtown isn't aware of issues facing other wards, it is because we do not see the same issues day to day. That doesn't mean we don't care or think the rest of the city doesn't matter. It sounds like many newcomers start out in DTJC and move elsewhere - they obviously see something attractive in the areas.

Don't let a few ignorant people or Newport developers ruin it for everyone.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I find it interesting that the discussion went immediately to "downtown". As was pointed out by someone earlier, Jersey City has long been home to recently arrived immigrants - folks who find their way to all parts of the city. Indians, Hispanics from many different nations, Egyptians - the list is very long. Does the mayor (who inexplicably had the bad foresight to be birthed in North Bergen) seek to exclude these newcomers as well???

Curious how interloper Levin, he of One Jersey City, backflips his way into getting behind this piece of asininity.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:
Ms osbourne

I dont know anything about you or your politics. As a jc resident my entire life, I do see your point about having a unified city.

If you were from jc, you would realize that jc has always been a unified place. The different neighborhoods could always relate to each other because one thingunified us, jc...exit 15e . Etc.

Th downtown began to change, a different type of person began to show up. There is nothing wrong with different, but early newporters wanted to have their own zip codes, their own police, even to secede from jc. It was ridiculous.

Fast forward to today, we are in the midst of an election tht is very important to our city's future. One side is the current mayor, winner of two previous elections and champion of joey jersey city. He brings 8 years of experience as mayor to the table. He brings documented information, crime stats, jobs, etc with him. Many fulop people may dispute the numbers, but thats for the voters to decide.

The fulop slate, in my opinion, is full of people who frown on jc for what it has been over decades and want to change it for their own benefit. Besides a turkey giveaway, or toy drive, when and where has the fulop ticket been in terms of wards a, b, c, d, and f. IMO, the divide comes in because the average person on the city feels this is an election about class, as opposed to who the better candidate is. Ifbyou speak to the average person on kennedy blvd, or westside ave, all they know is that healy is running against the guy from downtown.

Is it ignorant, sure, is it misinfomed, sure, but it is what it is. The divide is not coming from the healy camp, they are defending the rest of the city from the corporate takeover of jersey city.

If the situation w dr lyles and chris cerf is any indicator, fulop is nothing more than a wolf in sheeps clothing. He is doing the same thing he is preaching against. Look at fairview insurance.

This makes little sense as its been Mayor Healy and his prior cronies who have been giving the city away to corporate developers for years (all those new buildings? shoving low/moderate income housing to areas where those corporations didn't have to "see" those residents? Maintaining "pay for play" culture? The list goes on and on). Take a closer look at the Fulop ticket - at all the folks running for council - you won't see a ticket of candidates that diverse (in ideas, ethnicity, income statuses, and duration of time in JC).

If you disagree with Fulop & co's. views/policies, that's one thing. But they have not been the ones to sell this town out and focus on making only certain areas prosperous (Ward E). Where's the new condo towers, street paving, etc. in the other wards? Missing because Healy didn't help development in those areas.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:
Truth be told...downtowners want to turn all of jc into newport. They do not want to tolerate low to middle class peiple and their neigjborhoods. That is why people wanted to secede. They feel as if low to middle class neighborhoods devalue their lives.

This is not only offensive, it is ridiculous. I have never heard anyone express such silly thoughts. This is a city of a quarter of a million people. It will always be economically diverse. The diversity is one of the things that attracts new people. Besides, most of the people downtown are middle class.

What we won't tolerate is low income people living in neighborhoods that are ignored by the city and ruled by drug dealers. The people all over the city deserve safe streets and good schools.

P.S. I'm reading a book about how to recognize deception. Beginning a statement with "Truth be told" or "To tell you the truth" is a pretty good indication that the speaker is going to lie.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:25
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:

I know this is going to be one of the main Healy campaign scary mantras, but it has no meaning. Steve is not advocating privatizing any city services. Today the city is controlled by cronies of the Mayor and I think only they and the people on their payrolls don't want their power taken away.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:11
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:
Truth be told...downtowners want to turn all of jc into newport. They do not want to tolerate low to middle class peiple and their neigjborhoods. That is why people wanted to secede. They feel as if low to middle class neighborhoods devalue their lives.

Jersey city has long been a melting pot. Long before downtowners drank the newport kool aid. If fulop wins our schools will become for profit institutions for out of town investors, we will have wal mart which will crush small business. We will lose the identity of a city where people of all classes could survive. Look at the elec reports, its clear that fulops team is poised for a corporate takeover. Sad

Your statement that all downtowners want to turn jc into Newport is as misleading as you are. Newport is a nauseating little entity unto itself. The true downtowners have started putting down solid roots & want to transform the city into something we all can enjoy. You worry about Wal-mart but we all ready have big box stores such as Best Buys, Target, Modells's, Staples as well as Burger King, McDonald's, etc. Don't they all cut into the identity? What will further destroy small business is the increase in the minimum wage. Small business cannot compete with that & it's people like you who have signed that death certificate.
Quite frankly as a lifetime resident of the dump that is now the Heights (& the home of the mayor, county executive & his chief of staff) I can't wait for something resembling pride in where you live & gentrification of some form or another.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is truly sad and a gross generalization that does a disservice to us all. There is so much diversity in downtown of incomes, languages, living conditions, and education that you can't possibly just dismiss such a large area. You can't possibly be sincere in any of your posts.

I have lived here for 13 years and have been deeply involved in my neighborhood and in the downtown area.

Healy considers me a newcomer and an interloper because I want to take part in my democracy? Really?

Healy is exploiting a natural divide that happens throughout the City, not just downtown between the older residents and the newer. I have seen that conversation pop up in my neighborhood and us community leaders won't have any of it. It's a superficial argument at best to make sure nothing gets accomplished and once every one realizes they all count then it ceases to be an us versus them argument.

As far as Healy and "friends" are concerned they are more than happy to accept the newcomers and interlopers money, they just don't want them to have a say as a resident about how the tax dollars are spent. Team Healy has no problem bending over backwards to any developer that comes along and wants a tax abatement. I even watched horrified as Healy's cheif of staff bent over backwards to Goldman Sachs and put a stop to a solution to the Van Vorst Park and Paulus Hook flooding problem because they did not want to upset Goldman Sachs!!! They wanted to put a flooding solution on HOLD after these people in Bergen/Laffayette and downtown had their homes devastated by Irene and then Sandy.

Make no mistake, as offensive as the comments are he and his team have no intention of catering to any of us low life tax payers no matter how long or little we have lived here. They will undermine any attempt to actually improve the infrastructure, to safe guard our homes (not real estate).

You sir are full of crap. Use your real name if you truly mean what you say.

Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:

Jersey city has long been a melting pot. Long before downtowners drank the newport kool aid. If fulop wins our schools will become for profit institutions for out of town investors, we will have wal mart which will crush small business. We will lose the identity of a city where people of all classes could survive. Look at the elec reports, its clear that fulops team is poised for a corporate takeover. Sad

Posted on: 2013/2/17 20:53
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
The Newport "planned community" consists of 4000 rental units and under 1000 condo units and is ruled by LeFrak - it is only 10 blocks long between the Mall and the waterfront. It DOES NOT represent downtown. When they're unhappy - they have to complain to LeFrak, not the mayor.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crazyforjc wrote:
Truth be told...downtowners want to turn all of jc into newport. They do not want to tolerate low to middle class peiple and their neigjborhoods.
The divide is not coming from the healy camp, they are defending the rest of the city from the corporate takeover of jersey city.

I found the Healy campaign's comments insulting and divisive, and I'm by no means "corporate" -- I'm an animator who first moved to JC as a broke college student, so about as far from a finance worker as you can get. I've been here almost eight years now; this city is my home and I care about it. I definitely don't want to turn it into Newport, and I don't know anyone else who does either. But being told by my government that I'm not welcome stings.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 19:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/6 21:59
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/2/17 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Who does not care about it? I am sure a lot of old timers in JSQ (which has an excellent commute to NYC) also care about the same thing. If I was a long time resident in JSQ, I would be thinking that if JSQ improves, I can cash out and retire comfortably on the shore.

Quote:
The downtown new residents in the last 10 years cares about their investment and how safe their block is.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 19:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
What would it take for DTJC to secede?

A Fulop supporter? or just an idiot?

Idiot is not nice. But its really the way many of his supporters feel. They want to push the people who made jc OUT.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:40

unified JC- do not expect from Healy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
How about Healy's latest comments regarding "interlopers and newcomers" (his EXACT words)? For a campaign kickoff. Real inclusive buddy!

See http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... g_mates.html#incart_river

Personally, I find this VERY offensive- been here more than a few years, not as long as him. Big deal, does that mean anyone who hasn't shouldn't have a voice? Really?! That's the best JC can do? I think not!

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

A Fulop supporter? or just an idiot?

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Staten Island tried that...a couple of times, but it didn't work.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:

Exactly what I am talking about

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Ms osbourne

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Good Luck with that, The downtown new residents in the last 10 years cares about their investment and how safe their block is. I have never met a downtown newbie who cared about the city as a whole.

Most on this board are full of $hit, and don't even consider themselves part of Jersey City (How Pathetic).

IMO this divide is what keeps non downtown residents hesitant to support Fulop's ticket. When you read some of the obnoxious, racist, comments and opinions regarding the rest of the city coming from Fulop's downtown supporters, one starts to think, Is this what he is all about?

I have not seen these "obnoxious, racist, comments and opinions regarding the rest of the city coming from Fulop's downtown supporters." Steve's team is diverse. Steve put his campaign headquarters in the middle of the city, far from downtown to show that his campaign if for all of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:20
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The state and the nation are full of old industrial cities that would welcome an influx of new residents, new capital, new ideas and new tax revenues. Jersey City is one of the very few that can attract this investment. Why does Mayor Healy resent and fear change? Healy wants Jersey City frozen in the past when a small group of political cronies used the city government as a clubhouse and piggybank, indifferent to the needs of the voters except at election time. Steve Fulop stands for progress for Jersey City and for all its residents.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 18:12
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Good Luck with that, The downtown new residents in the last 10 years cares about their investment and how safe their block is. I have never met a downtown newbie who cared about the city as a whole.

Most on this board are full of $hit, and don't even consider themselves part of Jersey City (How Pathetic).

IMO this divide is what keeps non downtown residents hesitant to support Fulop's ticket. When you read some of the obnoxious, racist, comments and opinions regarding the rest of the city coming from Fulop's downtown supporters, one starts to think, Is this what he is all about?

Posted on: 2013/2/17 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
This statement is a revealing insight to Healy politics. What kind of city turns its back on new residents adding to the vitality and rejuvenation of areas all over the city ?

Hes worried that too many new people will actually demand more from their local government because they aren't satisfied with the status quo. Terrifying thought.

As someone who has only been here for 3 1/2 years, but has come to love the area, this strikes a chord.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
I am not going to pretend that I represent anyone but myself, so, using just the singular "I", - I do not care if the Jersey City is united or divided.

I want it safe and I want the garbage collected, and I want my taxes lowered.

I think, before we accomplish these three modest goals the city government should not waste its valuable time and resources on anything else.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 17:29

We seek a unified Jersey City, not a divided one
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
As a candidate for Ward E Council, I am offended by Mayor Healy's comments during his campaign kick-off. He said, "Get out to vote so that, as Jeff Dublin said, Jersey City can remain for Jersey City, not some newcomers, some interlopers who don't know the city, don't care about the city, and want to use the city for their own personal ambitions." (read full article here: bit.ly/Z6Bewo).

Mayor Healy's comments dismiss large segments of Jersey City - segments that make Jersey City the growing and diverse community that it is. Whether you have lived here for 50 years, 10 years, or moved here last month, you are a part of this city and deserve to make it the best it can be, which is exactly what we should do. We should strive to help each other, like we did when we came together after Hurricane Sandy and offered help and donations to our neighbors. We should support our artistic community. We should apply for grants that help all of our residents secure employment. We should provide housing for those that need it. These are things that will make our city great - this is what I believe, this is what Steven Fulop believes and this is what all of those running on his ticket believe.

I have been here for 10 years and I know this city and I care about this city. And while I am angered by Mayor Healy's comments, I will use that anger as a new-found energy to make sure I do everything in my power to make this city more unified, not less. And I encourage you all to do the same.

Candice Osborne
Ward E Council Candidate - Team Fulop

Posted on: 2013/2/17 16:59

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact