Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
150 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How safe is this area? - Harrison Between Kennedy & Bergen
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Sam, I hope you'll take a closer look. Each of the blocks yiou mention is fine (to me), and I know Bentley even better. If you'd like some more direct feedback, please feel free to contact me off-list.

paul.bellanboyer@gmail.com

Posted on: 2013/2/20 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info - I had seen the spotcrime site which concerned me - as you said a lot of shootings, not sure if it was drugs/gangs.
Was also looking at Bentley between JFK and Bergen. Some beautiful, well-kept houses; but some seem to be abandoned or else really delapidated. Also, seems like a halfway house on Bentley.
Looks like there is an alley way in the middle of the block (between Harrison and Bentley) with driveways for the adjoining houses. Not sure if there is a lot of hanging out there as there is easy access from the street. If anyone knows if this area is a big hangout during the summer, it would be appreciated.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback -- welcome more. We live in an area with a lot of partying and music, and just want to have something that is more peaceful.
Many thanks !

Posted on: 2013/2/18 22:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty decent. I have an office on the next block and know several families on the block of Harrison you're talking about. I'm on the block fairly often, both driving and walking, although not often late at night. I have never personally had a problem in the neighborhood, although as the night gets later I would do my walking on Kennedy Blvd rather than Bergen. I checked with friends who live at both ends of the block you mention, and they say that street noise and neighbor noise is not much of an issue.

Short version: I'd be fine living there. If the city does well, the block will continue to improve.

The Key Foods which opened on Monticello last year adds a lot to liveability for the immediate neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
I don't live up there, but checking on Spotcrime: On Bergen, between Fairview and Lexington alone, there were around 8 shootings last year. West of Bergen appears to be safer than blocks east of it. ( http://spotcrime.com/#40.721704%2C%20-74.07296 )

It's difficult to get that much granularity when it comes to data about home prices. Zillow's guess is that McGinely Square is following the same trend as other areas -- prices peaked in 2008, and started gradually climbing in early 2012.

My rough guess is that the closer you are to Lincoln Park (and further west of Bergen Ave), the safer you are. I'd also remind you that the run-up in property values from 2000 to 2008 was the result of a real estate bubble and a once-in-a-lifetime event, so don't think of that as "normal."

Posted on: 2013/2/17 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I own property on Belmont btw JFk and Bergen:

Section 8 apartments on Bergen: Thugs and drugs which really puts a drag on the area.

Almost all the homes West of Bergen: Owner-occupied and people who put a lot of renovation work into the places.

I have had a tenant leave due to the tax payer subsidized drugs and violence on Bergen. My current crop of tenants are quite fine with the area. One of them is a guy who used to live in New Orleans... for him the thugs and drugs are minor compared to what he used to put up with.

Posted on: 2013/2/17 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
It depends on what do you consider safe, I lived around there for two years, I just avoided Bergen ave. after midnight. There are a shit load of section 8 housing along there and a halfway house on Belmont, but the halfway house is the best kept property in the area.

I grew up in Williamsburg BK so my idea of safe may be very different from yours. My roommate at the time was from Poland and found it unsafe but after two years of living there, I moved and she stayed and purchased a brownstone there. If you are not use to a urban environment it may feel unsafe, but if you are OK with urban surroundings then its fine just stay alert and be smart.

One of my neighbors was mugged on Bergen ave, but she was also a nut. She was about 5'2, blond and from upstate NY. She would walk up and down Bergen ave. trying to score pot at 2 A.M. a real idiot.
So if you are not looking for trouble you should be fine. I know a great gay couple who own a beautiful brownstone on Harrison, they been there for 30 years and they love it. Bergen ave can get loud and its always dirty, but the side streets are always well kept by the home owners. Some of the section 8 housing are not always maintained.

I looked at a few houses over there, they are stunning but at the end of the day I passed because I have to be in the city about 3 x a week and there is not sufficient transportation IMO and I do not like buses. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2013/2/17 13:56

How safe is this area? - Harrison Between Kennedy & Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,
Really confused by this area. There are some beautiful homes on Gifford, Harrison, and Bentley by Kennedy. But you go down to the corner at Bergen and the feel is totally different. Is this area safe? Are the property values going up or down? It's like two totally different towns side by side. Any info is appreciated. If anyone lives in this area, is it noisy (lot of music, partying)?
Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 18:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017