Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 15 »

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
That quote is an obscene amount of money, for a "temporary" bridge which has no suspension engineering at all. The road is coming in maybe 2 years tops.

Why not just fill in a pathway using rocks/dirt from nearby excavation projects?? create an earthen path, then just add an asphalt or rock path on top of it with fencing??

The canal is used for nothing in that section and will most likely be filled in anyway.

then you'd need to do a whole new environmental impact study, which would take years, and probably not be approved anyway.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Don't hold your breath on a completion by Memorial Day, or "as soon as possible" after. The current administration tasked with this effort will be gone before then.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
a permanent replacement bridge - up to code and with lighting. the old bridge was ad hoc what others have said below. I agree we need to get this access open asap, for LSP, for commuting and for circulation. I am glad it is moving forward quickly.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... liberty.html#incart_river

Footbridge connecting Liberty State Park with Downtown Jersey City to be rebuilt: city official

The footbridge connecting Jersey Avenue to Liberty State Park in Jersey City may be back up in time for Memorial Day, according to city officials.

The bridge, which was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy, may cost about $750,000 to replace, according to city Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden.

Federal disaster-relief funds should pay for 75 percent of the replacement costs, while the city is seeking grants or private funding sources for the remainder, McFadden writes in an email.

The news comes as officials at Liberty State Park, which was heavily damaged when Sandy devastated the region on Oct. 29, announced this week that another 139 acres of the state park were reopened on Jan. 29, bringing the total number of open acres to 263. There are 600 upland acres in the park.

All of the roads, parking lots and most fields are open, but restrooms, playgrounds and parts of the walkway remain closed, according to the Friends of Liberty State Park website.

The city expects to put the footbridge work out to bid by the end of March, and hopes to have it replaced entirely by Memorial Day, or "as soon as possible" after, according to McFadden.

The bridge will be located where the old bridge was, but there will be enhanced lighting, signs and safety provisions.

City officials do not know how old the bridge is. Friends of Liberty State Park President Sam Pesin said he believes the bridge was there when the park opened in 1976.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/16 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_seeking_18_million.html According to JJ the city has applied for 18 million to extend Jersey Avenue over the spot. Why, if that is the plan, spend this money now? Concentrate on the bigger picture.

The existing bridge, or remnants thereof, was built over a former railroad bridge (likely Lehigh Valley Terminal Line), with some plywood slapped over the ties. They are likely shot and need be completely replaced. If any temp structure is built its alignment should not interfere with long-term plans.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 9:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
That quote is an obscene amount of money, for a "temporary" bridge which has no suspension engineering at all. The road is coming in maybe 2 years tops.

Why not just fill in a pathway using rocks/dirt from nearby excavation projects?? create an earthen path, then just add an asphalt or rock path on top of it with fencing??

The canal is used for nothing in that section and will most likely be filled in anyway.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I posted this somewhere down below gives a liitle history of the "new" bridge.

Quote:
From reading these old links, I think Jersey City owns it.

Check out that link from the Hudson Reporter from 2003 a lot of shi* went on with that little bridge. Gee.

Troubled bridge over water Residents question delay on footbridge into Liberty State Park(Aug 29,2003)

http://hudsonreporter.com/pages/full_ ... +State+Park%20&id=2392693

HART - Hudson Alliance for Rational Transportation (May 6, 2003)

http://www.hartwheels.org/55LotDev.html

Posted on: 2013/2/1 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
a few years ago the Liberty Marina Yacht club cleaned up the area round the foot bridge and may have fixed it up, any improvements / repairs were ad hoc and obviously it has been fixed over the years.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
"City officials do not know how old the bridge is. Friends of Liberty State Park President Sam Pesin said he believes the bridge was there when the park opened in 1976."

My memory for recent history is hazy but I'm almost positive that, as recently as 10 years ago (perhaps less), the "bridge" was a collection of plywood sheets and 2 x 4s laid out across the muck of the canal. What was there in 1976?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 13:42

Re: Jersey Ave "Stinky Bridge" to LSP replacement estimated cost at $750,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I grew up around docks, ice can pull up pilings but I dont think a storm can. The rising water either just overtops it or it just tears off the deck. The deck doesnt have enough bouyancy to pull pilings 30 feet out deep muck. I'll bet the pilings are fine.

I once rebuilt a dock walkway about half that length with my dad in a weekend. Somebody is thinking this will pay off their shore house repairs.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 6:50

Jersey Ave "Stinky Bridge" to LSP replacement estimated cost at $750,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... html#incart_river_default

Guessing $700k in corruption overhead, $50k in actual materials and labor.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
For $750,000, this better be one bad a$$ bridge when complete. The old bridge (so old the city can't remember...) was a complete joke for the amount of traffic that it was used for. I'd have to assume that a good sum of this money will be used to redevelop the canal as well as putting in a bigger, better, permanent bridge.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The footbridge connecting Jersey Avenue to Liberty State Park in Jersey City may be back up in time for Memorial Day, according to city officials.

The bridge, which was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy, may cost about $750,000 to replace, according to city Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden. Federal disaster-relief funds should pay for 75 percent of the replacement costs, while the city is seeking grants or private funding sources for the remainder, McFadden writes in an email.

The news comes as officials at Liberty State Park, which was heavily damaged when Sandy devastated the region on Oct. 29, 2012, announced this week that another 139 acres of the state park were reopened on Jan. 29, bringing the total number of open acres 263. There are 600 upland acres in the park.

All of the roads, parking lots and most fields are open, but restrooms, playgrounds and parts of the walkway remain closed, according to the Friends of Liberty State Park website.

The city expects to put the footbridge work out to bid by the end of March, and hopes to have it replaced entirely by Memorial Day, or ?as soon as possible? after, according to McFadden.

The bridge will be located where the old bridge was, but there will be enhanced lighting, signs and safety provisions.

City officials do not know how old the bridge is. Friends of Liberty State Park President Sam Pesin said he believes the bridge was there when the park opened in 1976.

Liberty State Park attracts more then 5 million visitors annually.

750,000.00 really?

Posted on: 2013/1/31 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/31 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good news.

Bjay, thanks for posting that.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the park is open as shown on the map referenced in the post below. The park is only open until 5 PM at this time - hopefully it wil stay open later as the days get longer.

Posted on: 2013/1/31 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Here is an update as of yesterday. Most of the park is open now.

Posted on: 2013/1/30 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, that's why I was asking. The info on the site is old. I could go over there and look but I'm lazy and don't like disappointment.

Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:

Check the "Park Advisory" section on the LSP website. There is a link with a map of the open/closed areas. It hasn't been updated since December though.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

Posted on: 2013/1/30 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Any updates on whether any of the southern area of the park is open yet, or when it will be if it is not yet?

Check the "Park Advisory" section on the LSP website. There is a link with a map of the open/closed areas. It hasn't been updated since December though.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

Posted on: 2013/1/29 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates on whether any of the southern area of the park is open yet, or when it will be if it is not yet?

Posted on: 2013/1/29 20:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 15:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just sent this email-- please feel free to cut and paste it -- or write your own.
rmcfadden@jcnj.org

Dear Ms. McFadden,

I write concerning the rebuilding of the footbridge connecting downtown Jersey City and Liberty State Park. Access to the park should be restored right away! Jersey City citizens have been deprived from their park for months and we have been left in the dark about a time frame for rebuilding it. Jersey City citizens want their park back. Loss of the park has significantly affected our quality of life and I urge you and the mayor to act fast! It would be a tragedy for Jersey City citizens to miss the first big snow in the park or flowers blooming in spring.

Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 22:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I just received an email from Friends of LSP:

A group of associations are urging JC to use FEMA funds to replace the footbridge - by Memorial Day - connecting LSP with downtown and the Lafayette neighborhood to downtown. A city official finally stated last week that JC plans on working on it but there is no timetable. A few bridge advocates will meet with JC's Asst Engineer next week. We'll keep you updated on the process. If you want to express yourself on the footbridge, please email Mayor Jerramiah Healy's Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden rmcfadden@jcnj.org and please copy the Friends.
If your block or neighborhood association would like to join the Coalition for the Emergency Replacement of the Jersey Ave. footbridge, please also contact the Friends.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 22:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/10 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the concrete slabs is for the new building on Marin Blvd by the light rail...

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I swung by both sides of the stinky bridge this weekend.

They definitely started clearing brush on the Liberty State Park side. Over on the Jersey Ave side there were about half a dozen flatbed trucks parked with what appeared to be concrete decking or some sort of concrete infrastructure. I am no engineer and have no idea what I was looking at, I don't even know if it was for the bridge or some other project in the area... but at least it was encouraging that something/anything will happen soon. (fingers crossed)

Posted on: 2013/1/22 18:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I have a question for Dan L, or anyone else who was at the meeting: During the meeting was a name for the bridge discussed? Did the old bridge even HAVE a name? I know it may be putting the cart before the horse but I am in favor of the name The Stinky Bridge if anyone is asking.

x2... for "The Stinky Bridge"!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/17 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question for Dan L, or anyone else who was at the meeting: During the meeting was a name for the bridge discussed? Did the old bridge even HAVE a name? I know it may be putting the cart before the horse but I am in favor of the name The Stinky Bridge if anyone is asking.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 22:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
yes, a member spoke to the parks dept. and Fema will be paying for a replacement bridge.

after talking with Dave below, he does understand that Bike JC and the Friends of Liberty State support a replacement bridge as soon as possible, but that those groups do not support a specific plan or design, leaving it to the city.

Quote:

bjay wrote:
Quote:

VVPANEWS wrote:
The Van Vorst Park Association will be having our monthly meeting tomorrow (1/15) at 7:30pm at the Barrow Mansion.

Will be having an open discussion regarding the Footbridge, specifically what the past meetings with neighborhood associations, concerned citizens & some city officials have been about. If any of our neighbors would like to voice their thoughts/ideas/concerns before we make a potential formal written plea to the city, we encourage you to come tomorrow evening.

Was there any major news from the VVPA meeting about the bridge? (Sorry I couldn't attend.)

There's a meeting coming up next week about the LSP Circulator study, but that seems to be more about having shuttles to/from LSP and within the park. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the bridge topic came up.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VVPANEWS wrote:
The Van Vorst Park Association will be having our monthly meeting tomorrow (1/15) at 7:30pm at the Barrow Mansion.

Will be having an open discussion regarding the Footbridge, specifically what the past meetings with neighborhood associations, concerned citizens & some city officials have been about. If any of our neighbors would like to voice their thoughts/ideas/concerns before we make a potential formal written plea to the city, we encourage you to come tomorrow evening.

Was there any major news from the VVPA meeting about the bridge? (Sorry I couldn't attend.)

There's a meeting coming up next week about the LSP Circulator study, but that seems to be more about having shuttles to/from LSP and within the park. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the bridge topic came up.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 19:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Dave, although I am disappointed in hearing about the reactions of FLSP and JC Bikes, I am not surprised. I helped design the dog bark in Battery Park City (I was a member of the Battery Park City Dog Association) and everyone from every aspect of the community had an opinion and it took about a year. I think enough time has passed here and all of us want our park back! Your design looks great. Honestly, I was ok with gag bridge, so anything is an improvement! I would love to help organize our community. You can start an online petition here http://www.change.org/start-a-petition
and we can submit one to the Mayor, the Governor and our Congressmen/women. Let me know if you want to start it or if you want me to. Unfortunately I am unable to make the meeting of the Van Vorst Park Association tomorrow where I believe this is going to be discussed.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 20:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users

As always our meetings are free, open to everyone and light snacks are served.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 20:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Dan L forgive me as I can't see your email I just see your user name. We're you involved in the group I originally tried to coordinate? The only email I see from 12/18 is from the jc bike representative who happens to be an engineer at a private firm not having anything to do with the city. His view of the process is not the official view nor should it be taken as the only process. So if you say I am frustrated with the process I am. Being told from the bike jc representative that we should instruct the city to send out an RFP and get quotes from the big companies and then award a contract means we will not have a bridge for 2 +years. That is not the process I hoped for. I hoped to show how we could build this bridge in less then a year.
If you talk about money, between what the city should receive from FEMA, local businesses and community support I think we could finance this. This is not a draw bridge or suspension bridge this is not a car bridge. This is a pedestrian bridge. As I said we have quotes from vendors that support this.
So yes Dan L I am frustrated to be told that the best approach is to wait years for a bridge and I disagree that is the only solution. Further I don't agree that was the opinion of all bike jc, just their representative.
The city can support an emergency bridge repair and should support this idea.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 18:16

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017