Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

Re: The futility of gun control
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
so, I own a gun to hunt (and to shoot trap as practice for hunting).

I hunt because, in addition to enjoying the outdoors and several other reasons, I believe that if i'm going to eat meat that I should be involved in the process of taking the animals life rather than hiring a hit-man (slaughterhouse/butcher) to do it for me, wrap it in foam and plastic, and render me completely detached from how food gets to my table.

Do you hate me or look down on me because of this?

Posted on: 2013/1/17 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(I?ve always loved the name of this guys JC store? Caso's Gun-A-Rama) http://www.casosguns.com/

Frank Caso, of Caso?s Gun-A-Rama in Jersey City, said he, too, has seen sales rise whenever there is a call for stricter gun laws. Caso, who opposes tighter gun regulations, said he understands the uncertainty that leads law-abiding citizens to buy more weapons.

Most of them, Caso said, purchase guns to protect their families and to shoot target practice for sport.

"Sales has nothing to do with the prevention of crime," he said from inside his small shop filled with dozens of long guns on racks, handguns in display cases and boxes of ammunition . "Any gun that?s ever been used in a crime was not the gun?s fault. It?s the criminal?s fault, but you?re blaming the gun. Why?"

Sharp rise in N.J. gun purchases, permit requests after Newtown school shooting

By Star-Ledger Staff
on January 17, 2013 at 6:45 AM,
updated January 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM

By Tom Haydon and Alexi Friedman/Star-Ledger Staff

It was mid-December, the height of the holiday shopping season, but the people waiting in these lines weren?t hoping to get a last-minute deal.

They were waiting for gun permits.

Just days after 26 students and educators were shot to death at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., police in Linden saw 12 people come to headquarters in little more than a single lunch hour to get firearm permit applications.

For the month, the department handed out three times the number of applications requested during the same period in 2011, Detective Lt. James Sarnicki said.

Full SL piece?.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... mit_r.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Posted on: 2013/1/17 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Hate is a weak emotion, devoid of intellect.

It is based on ignorance and fear.

You've found a home here.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Everyone's entitled to their views, and you can certainly hate anyone you want - you do not have even one friend/family that owns a firearm? That would be really hard to believe.

Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Here is my official position. I hate guns, and I hate everyone who owns it.

so...if your home gets invaded you won't call the cops? they've got guns

I said I hate people who "own" guns. Although I don't necessarily love cops (I'm not crazy about them for a bunch of other reasons), I don't hate them just because they carry a gun. After all, they are required to carry one.

I hate people who choose to own a gun for whatever the reason.

Justify your rights all you want. I have a right to hate anyone I choose.

I have no friends or family or relatives who own a gun. If I find out my friends own a gun, they are demoted to acquaintance (this has happened before). To me, this is one of litmus tests in choosing people I want to be associated with.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 14:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/17 2:13
Group:
Registered Users

BATTLE OF ATHENS, TN, AFTER WW II (1946)

The reason for the second amendment is clear but this little known set of facts makes it a little clearer! What is it that the Democrats don't like about our rights to have and insure we have an honest government? Please watch this

I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens , TN in 1946. I did not know an armed revolt on American soil by WWII veterans ever took place during our lifetime. A very sobering video to say the least.

Now the second amendment should be a little clearer to everyone.

This movie lasts less than four minutes and is well worth the time.

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Battle-of-Athens.html

FIRST FACTS:

Please do not delete this bit of US History of which many Americans have no knowledge. View it and share it and pray that we will never need such a response to government!

Posted on: 2013/1/17 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone's entitled to their views, and you can certainly hate anyone you want - you do not have even one friend/family that owns a firearm? That would be really hard to believe.

Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

I said I hate people who "own" guns. Although I don't necessarily love cops (I'm not crazy about them for a bunch of other reasons), I don't hate them just because they carry a gun. After all, they are required to carry one.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Treat the purchase and manufacturering of a weapon that uses bullets as a car...register it and insure it. If it is lost or stolen report it. If you want to dispose of it then properly sign off on the title.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/16 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

12345 wrote:
I looked for recent information about the drug connection and found this article from Forbes CACHED but it does not appear anywhere on forbes.com - is it possible that the drug companies have an influence on what gets reported on or published?

Here is the content of the article just in case the drug companies are so powerful they can elimate negative press:

Lawrence Hunter, Contributor - Forbes.com
OP/ED | 1/14/2013 @ 8:00AM |9 views

Psychiatric Drugs, Not A Lack Of Gun Control, Are The Common Denominator In Murderous Violence

I believe there?s value burried somewhere in that opinion, but the use of ?gun snatcher? and ?law abiding citizen? are blatantly coded terms that reveal a defensive posture and cast the piece in a biased light. While treatment of many psychological conditions with commonly prescribed drugs is an approach that rarely leads to productive catharsis, it is not at at the heart of the firearms debate. The comprehensive treatment of mental health is indeed handicapped by many factors, including the motives of pharmaceutical companies, but blaming pills for homicide by firearm is a smokescreen.

When we talk about gun violence, it isn?t spree killing precipitated by unusual states of consciousness that should have us most concerned. In America, our modes of aggression and retaliation are lubricated by a collective attitude that places tremendous value on the gun as a tool for the expression of power and the eradication of fear. See where recently, councilwoman Richardson apparently feared for her safety--on a completely irrational basis--so she rallied to station an officer with a loaded gun in the room. Here?s an individual who is in a position to lead by positive example, and what did she do? She championed the cause of fear and let a gun solve a problem that doesn?t exist.

The underlying issues aren?t very complicated to understand, but they implicate so many ?law abiding citizens? that the natural tendency is to cling to polarized routes of logic that conveniently identify various external agents as the boogeymen. While guns are part of a challenging, rewarding hobby for many people who will never bring harm to another human being, when they insist that guns are ?okay,? or that that ownership is guaranteed on the basis that ?the Constitution says so,? they?re insisting on ignorance of a reality they?ve helped to create that is too personally inconvenient to acknowledge. Why does America have a gun problem? Hello!?! It?s because we like guns so much.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
if you want to decrease gun violence, end the war on drugs, already

Posted on: 2013/1/15 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
I agree 100%! Limit the manufacturing of guns and ammo, background checks across the board and NO MORE ASSAULT RIFLES FOR CIVILIANS, EVER!!! Give it 10 years and there will be much less gun violence.
Gun violence has been steadily declining for years with out that. You can do none of that and in 10 years their will be much less gun violence anyway. Assault weapons are barely ever used in crimes, this country does not have a problem with crimes connected to those weapons but the media just loves to make it seem that way.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Your implication is that a lack of gun control caused this tragedy. I'm not sure how you can prove that?
Because he wouldn't have had an AR-15 with 100-round clips, a combat shotgun, two glocks, and 6,000 rounds of ammo.

Now all the articles above are proof your average street criminal can easily get these weapons. So what makes you think a determined person can't? These guns being illegal didn't stop them from getting them why would it stop him? As for the ammo that is the easiest of them all to get, it isn't even a challenge.

Quote:
CatDog wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote: So your argument is that gun control would have prevented the shooter from acquiring guns? How so?
Because he wouldn't have had an AR-15 with 100-round clips, a combat shotgun, two glocks, and 6,000 rounds of ammo, and EASILY at that. Remember, everything he bought was purchased legally. He was not a criminal, and who knows if he would have purchased them illegally. Because you tell me how to get all of that illegally. Go ahead, tell me. You will spend years and not figure out the answer. Is it possible? Sure, I guess. It's also possible to acquire a rocket launcher. But how are you going to do it?

The idea that someone like this will find a way to do it anyway is dumb. They might, but unless they're really dedicated, they're going to have a damn tough time.

And even if they were going to get them illegally anyway, so what? We should make it EASIER?

I already made clear the same guns aren't hard to get. I do not get why it is so hard to understand it easy to obtain guns illegally if anything it is easier because gun stores have business hours and care about laws. Years are you serious? People get out of prison every day and can get a gun in no time. Did you really think it took them years to get them?

It is also funny you say "unless they're really dedicated" because people responsible for mass murders are the most dedicated people when it comes carrying out their plans.

So you're saying ... do nothing?

You know, guns and clips and things don't just appear out of thin air, they're made by American companies. It's not like if you restrict supply, criminals will just start manufacturing their own guns. Doing nothing because "they'll find a way so why bother?" is just such a terrible philosophy for life. You do what you can, you take steps, and eventually you'll get there. But giving up is never the solution.

For comparison, your argument would be like saying "children can find a way to get cigarettes anyway, so why do we bother restricting the sale of cigarettes?"

or

Teenagers can get heroin if they want to, so why do we bother having laws against it?
No more like I am saying don't punish the people that follow the laws but the people that break them.

For example if kids are getting cigarettes under age anyway that doesn't mean we should ban cigarettes because a kid might get his hands on them.

We aren't enforcing laws we have now that would help deter gun crimes. One clear case I can think of is the 18 year old that brought a gun to Ferris because he was getting beat up at school. He only got probation, now how does that deter others from doing the same? I can also think of tons of murders where the sentence was 5,8,12 years, where is the deterrent their?

Posted on: 2013/1/15 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
I agree 100%! Limit the manufacturing of guns and ammo, background checks across the board and NO MORE ASSAULT RIFLES FOR CIVILIANS, EVER!!! Give it 10 years and there will be much less gun violence.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Your implication is that a lack of gun control caused this tragedy. I'm not sure how you can prove that?
Because he wouldn't have had an AR-15 with 100-round clips, a combat shotgun, two glocks, and 6,000 rounds of ammo.

Now all the articles above are proof your average street criminal can easily get these weapons. So what makes you think a determined person can't? These guns being illegal didn't stop them from getting them why would it stop him? As for the ammo that is the easiest of them all to get, it isn't even a challenge.

Quote:
CatDog wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote: So your argument is that gun control would have prevented the shooter from acquiring guns? How so?
Because he wouldn't have had an AR-15 with 100-round clips, a combat shotgun, two glocks, and 6,000 rounds of ammo, and EASILY at that. Remember, everything he bought was purchased legally. He was not a criminal, and who knows if he would have purchased them illegally. Because you tell me how to get all of that illegally. Go ahead, tell me. You will spend years and not figure out the answer. Is it possible? Sure, I guess. It's also possible to acquire a rocket launcher. But how are you going to do it?

The idea that someone like this will find a way to do it anyway is dumb. They might, but unless they're really dedicated, they're going to have a damn tough time.

And even if they were going to get them illegally anyway, so what? We should make it EASIER?

I already made clear the same guns aren't hard to get. I do not get why it is so hard to understand it easy to obtain guns illegally if anything it is easier because gun stores have business hours and care about laws. Years are you serious? People get out of prison every day and can get a gun in no time. Did you really think it took them years to get them?

It is also funny you say "unless they're really dedicated" because people responsible for mass murders are the most dedicated people when it comes carrying out their plans.

So you're saying ... do nothing?

You know, guns and clips and things don't just appear out of thin air, they're made by American companies. It's not like if you restrict supply, criminals will just start manufacturing their own guns. Doing nothing because "they'll find a way so why bother?" is just such a terrible philosophy for life. You do what you can, you take steps, and eventually you'll get there. But giving up is never the solution.

For comparison, your argument would be like saying "children can find a way to get cigarettes anyway, so why do we bother restricting the sale of cigarettes?"

or

Teenagers can get heroin if they want to, so why do we bother having laws against it?

Posted on: 2013/1/15 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I looked for recent information about the drug connection and found this article from Forbes CACHED but it does not appear anywhere on forbes.com - is it possible that the drug companies have an influence on what gets reported on or published?

Here is the content of the article just in case the drug companies are so powerful they can elimate negative press:

Lawrence Hunter, Contributor - Forbes.com
OP/ED | 1/14/2013 @ 8:00AM |9 views

Psychiatric Drugs, Not A Lack Of Gun Control, Are The Common Denominator In Murderous Violence

In 2000, New York legislators recognized the ubiquitous and unambiguous connection between violence, especially gun violence and mass murder, and the widespread prescribed use of psychiatric drugs. Senate Bill 7035 was introduced in the New York State Senate that year requiring police agencies to report to the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) on certain crimes and suicides committed by a person who is using psychiatric drugs, including assault, homicide, sex offenses, robbery offenses, firearms and other dangerous weapons offenses, kidnapping and arson. The preamble to the bill read, in part:

There is a large body of scientific research establishing a connection between violence and suicide and the use of psychotropic drugs in some cases. This research, which has been published in peer reviewed publications such as the American Journal of Psychiatry, The Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and The Journal of Forensic Science, has shown, among other things, that: certain drugs can induce mania (a psychosis which can produce bizarre, grandiose and highly elaborated destructive plans, including mass murder);. . .and certain drugs can produce an acute psychotic reaction in an individual not previously psychotic.

The bill died in committee. Since that time, there have been at least 12 additional high-profile mass murders linked to the use of psychiatric drugs, about one a year. And, in virtually every mass school shooting during the past 15 years, the shooter has been on or in withdrawal from psychiatric drugs. Here is a partial list of 24 such horrific events that occurred since 1998, not including the Virginia Tech shootings and the recent Sandy Hook shootings where the authorities continue to suppress information about whether and to what extent the shooters were on or in withdrawal from a psychiatric drug.

These examples are not unique. According to the Citizens Commission On Human Rights International (CCHR), between 2004 and 2011, there were 12,755 reports to the U.S. FDA?s MedWatch system of psychiatric drugs causing violent side effects including: 1,231 cases of homicidal ideation/homicide, 2,795 cases of mania and 7,250 cases of aggression. Since the FDA admits that only one to ten percent of all side effects are ever reported to it, the actual occurrence of violent side effects from psychiatric drugs is certainly nine or ten times higher than the official data suggest.

Yet, federal and state governments continue to ignore the connection between psychiatric drugs and murderous violence, preferring instead to exploit these tragedies in an oppressive and unconstitutional power grab to snatch guns away from innocent, law-abiding people who are guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution the right to own and bear arms to deter government tyranny and to use firearms in self defense against any miscreant who would do them harm. Therefore, it is pharmaceutical makers, not law-abiding gun owners or gun manufacturers, who should be held to account for the series of ?lone-wolf,? mass shootings that have occurred since the widespread use of psychiatric drugs began.

Although it is doubtful any single variable can explain what causes someone to commit such unspeakable acts as we saw recently at Sandy Hook, one common denominator surfaces time and time again, in hundreds and hundreds of cases where a ?lone wolf? commits violence, murder and mayhem for apparently no reason: Prescribed psychiatric drugs, which are well documented to induce mania, psychosis, violence, suicide and murder, including mass murder for no apparent reason by otherwise non-psychotic people.

Given the mass of supporting data linking psychiatric drug use/withdrawal and violence, and given the fact it has been ignored studiously by the U.S. Congress and federal agencies, it is well past time that Congress and state legislatures and government agencies at all levels formally investigate the well established link between prescribed use of psychiatric drugs, school shootings and similar acts of senseless violence.

This video reveals the indisputable connection between psychiatric drugs and violence, especially young ?lone-wolf? shooters in gun massacres.

As psychiatrist Peter Breggin observes in the video:

?One of the things in the past that we?ve known about depression is that it very, very rarely leads to violence. It?s only been since the advent of these new SSRI drugs that we?ve had murderers even mass murders taking these antidepressant drugs.?

Instead of intimidating the NRA into negotiating away Americans? Second Amendment rights through its seat at the table in Washington, the government should be demanding answers and explanations from PhRMA and the pharmaceutical companies.

Instead of extorting NRA chairman Dave Keene and NRA president Wayne LaPierre into participating with the gun snatchers? efforts to nullify the Second Amendment in the name of reducing gun violence, why aren?t the White House and Congress putting former Business Roundtable President and current head of PhRMA, John Castellani, along with the presidents of the pharmaceutical companies on the hot seat?

Why isn?t Castellani sitting in on White House and congressional meetings about the connection between his products and mass shootings instead of Keene and LaPierre of the NRA?

Why isn?t there a White House Task Force on the connection between psychiatric drugs and violence, suicide and murder, both gun related and otherwise?

Why aren?t there congressional hearings on the connection between violence and psychiatric drugs?

Why aren?t there bills being introduced in Congress and state legislatures to tighten down on the indiscriminate, unmonitored use of these killer drugs?

Why is the government still suppressing information about the shooters? psychiatric drug use at Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech?

Why is the government turning America into a police state in the name of protecting us against nonexistent ?reefer madness? while it turns a blind eye to the real, deadly med madness created by psychiatric drugs and the uncontrollable violent rages they produce in some people?

Could it be there is a quiet conspiracy afoot among pharmaceutical companies, the government and the gun grabbers to make Mr. and Mrs. Gun Owner of America the patsies for the violence and to blame lone-wolf violence on guns rather than psychiatric drugs?

Could it be that power-hungry politicians and gun snatchers are out to exploit rare tragedies such as Sandy Hook and use the blood of innocent children to scare America into giving up its constitutional rights to own and bear arms and use them as a deterrent against tyranny?

Could it be that big pharma is today?s big tobacco?

Could it be there is an intentional effort underway in the centers of power in Washington, DC to hide the truth from the American people about the strong connection between psychiatric drugs and violence and to protect the pharmaceutical companies from civil and criminal charges for their responsibility in these heinous crimes?

Could that be the explanation for why there continue to be lawsuits against gun manufacturers ? not for defects in their products but rather for the misuse of their products by drug-addled individuals ? and why there are few lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies for the obvious flaws in their products, which are producing violence and mayhem?

Could it be the Gun Control movement is simply a blind; just an effort by the triple alliance of left-fascists, big-government politicians and big-pharma prescription-drug dealers to dose and oppress the American people in the name of public safety, ?officer safety? and social order?

The gun snatchers such as Sen. Dianne Feinstein, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg all shamefully exploit the bloody murder of children as a pretext to nullify the Second Amendment and short arm the American public with their so-called ?assault-weapons? ban and ammunition/clip restrictions. The fact is, the kinds of guns used by mass shooters are far less relevant than the kinds of drugs they were prescribed.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'm for gun control, but I've given up on it. This country is so awash in guns it's pointless. Good luck controlling ammunition, Iran would be happy so sell some of their "no label" ammo to the smugglers currently bringing in weed by the ton. Black market in 30 round clips? No problem.

I agree with you on that too. One question though, I've met people who worked for the NRA as well as rather enthusiastic NRA members, and I've said to them "Yes, I think it's good for Americans to have handguns, so they can shoot people like you." :) Was that rude? :)

Posted on: 2013/1/15 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Most of the mass shooting are the result of mental health issues that really should be the main topic.

Most of the mass shooting [is] the result of mental health other issues that really should be the main topic.

I can agree with that also.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Most of the mass shooting are the result of mental health issues that really should be the main topic.

Most of the mass shooting [is] the result of mental health other issues that really should be the main topic.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm for gun control, but I've given up on it. This country is so awash in guns it's pointless. Good luck controlling ammunition, Iran would be happy so sell some of their "no label" ammo to the smugglers currently bringing in weed by the ton. Black market in 30 round clips? No problem.

Since nothing significant will be enacted, it all amounts to a giant ad campaign for the gun mfrs. The best thing that's happened to gun sales in decades was Obama, even though by his actions up to now he should have gotten an A from the NRA (100% puppet of the gun industry). But they made him into the boogeyman to boost sales. And so it will go, on and on, because behind all the fear-mongering on both sides it's all about money.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I think a better question for this debate would be what type of gun control laws do all of you anti-gun people want?

Restoring the assault weapons ban would be a good start. And every person who owns a gun should be required to apply for a license to use it. We require licenses to operate a car why not guns.

Of course the NRA and the Republicans will obstruct any meaningful laws. They still foresee an apocalyptic future where all those guns will be necessary to fight a repressive US government. OY !!!

Why is it so far fetched a day can come where the government could become our enemy? If the day did come it would be even MORE likely when all we have left to fight back with is a few handguns and hunting rifles.

Why are you so against assault rifles? They account for a very small percentage of murders. If the nut in Colorado used a semiautomatic handgun the death toll would not be less he was in a crowded movie theater.

I have no problem with more restrictions on the mentally ill obtaining weapons as long as the laws are reasonable. Most of the mass shooting are the result of mental health issues that really should be the main topic.

As for a day coming we could need to go up against the govt....

"In 1933, group of wealthy businessmen that allegedly included the heads of Chase Bank, GM, Goodyear, Standard Oil, the DuPont family and Senator Prescott Bush tried to recruit Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler to lead a military coup against President FDR and install a fascist dictatorship in the United States. And yes, we're talking about the same Prescott Bush who fathered one US President and grandfathered another one."

Posted on: 2013/1/15 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
From a financial blog that I follow:

The Market Ticker ? - Commentary on The Capital Markets
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=215268

How about we stop handing out SSRIs and anti-psychotics like candy to adolescents and kids?

Do we have a desperate need to improve mental health facilities for our youth (and those who are not youth)? You bet we do. This begins with accountability -- and that means removing these drugs from the prescribing realm of family doctors and all others who are unable or unwilling to be responsible for monitoring on a proactive basis those who are using them. This, in turn, means restricting prescribing to psychiatrists and imposing proactive monitoring requirements, along with criminal penalties for violations.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 23:52

Re: GUN CONTROL, GUN RIGHTS LET'S HAVE AN HONEST DEBATE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
The video games these kids play today are SICK! Who is blowing up who, whose body is being dismembered, etc... The list goes on. It's a disgrace. Movies too. The funny thing is, parents think its ok. Reason being, "it's only a game, not reality" That's the mentality they have. So, in a way, it's the parents fault too. They should monitor what their kids watch and play. If a movie/game says "not suitable for children, contains violence, etc" use your brain. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. That's why the majority of kids today are screwed up (always getting into fights, saying their going to kill someone).
Listen, I have a 12 yr old. I know boys like their action games and movies. But, there is a limit. I'm neurotic when it comes to what my son plays and watches. He gets mad but it's too bad. My house, my rules.
I play paintball so obviously I own a paintball gun. I REFUSE to keep it in my place. After I play, it goes to my cousins apartment. I don't it to be anywhere near my son. I know its not an AK47 or something else but it is still dangerous. That's another thing. Kids playing paintball and it starts at the age of 11/12 if i am correct. The game is basically telling them that it is ok to shoot at people. My son doesn't play, I won't let him.
Because any psychotic can have a gun, I witnessed my cousin get shot in the face and killed. I was sitting next to him. It happened in a club/bar in Brooklyn in 1998.
Something really needs to be done. Whoever said about the police and military owning AK47s, totally agree with you. Just don't take it home with you, especially if there are kids/teens in the house. That's an open invitation.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
From the Washington Post - interesting read:

Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States
Posted by Ezra Klein on December 14, 2012 at 2:07 pm

When we first collected much of this data, it was after the Aurora, Colo. shootings, and the air was thick with calls to avoid ?politicizing? the tragedy. That is code, essentially, for ?don?t talk about reforming our gun control laws.?
Let?s be clear: That is a form of politicization. When political actors construct a political argument that threatens political consequences if other political actors pursue a certain political outcome, that is, almost by definition, a politicization of the issue. It?s just a form of politicization favoring those who prefer the status quo to stricter gun control laws.
Since then, there have been more horrible, high-profile shootings. Jovan Belcher, a linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs, took his girlfriend?s life and then his own. In Oregon, Jacob Tyler Roberts entered a mall holding a semi-automatic rifle and yelling ?I am the shooter.? And, in Connecticut, at least 27 are dead ? including 18 children ? after a man opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
If roads were collapsing all across the United States, killing dozens of drivers, we would surely see that as a moment to talk about what we could do to keep roads from collapsing. If terrorists were detonating bombs in port after port, you can be sure Congress would be working to upgrade the nation?s security measures. If a plague was ripping through communities, public-health officials would be working feverishly to contain it.
Only with gun violence do we respond to repeated tragedies by saying that mourning is acceptable but discussing how to prevent more tragedies is not. ?Too soon,? howl supporters of loose gun laws. But as others have observed, talking about how to stop mass shootings in the aftermath of a string of mass shootings isn?t ?too soon.? It?s much too late.
What follows here isn?t a policy agenda. It?s simply a set of facts ? many of which complicate a search for easy answers ? that should inform the discussion that we desperately need to have.

More... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/w ... ngs-in-the-united-states/

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
You are not alone fikonj. As a parent I really can't believe what is in the music our kids listen to, the violent video games they play and what is shown on TV and in movies. When I was kid-free I didn't give this much thought but if there are parents out there who let their kids watch shows like Supernatural I can't believe it's doing them much good.

In fact, just this morning, I was flipping thought the channels and actually paused a 2009 episode of Supernatural to show my wife. The episode was about "our idols turning on us." In this masterpiece Paris Hilton (the real one and one helluva an idol) tries to kill one of the characters and is seen punching him in the face as the tustle on the ground near some logs. However, as she is about to finish him off another male character grabs a nearby axe and reapeatedly chops at Paris's neck until her head rolls away. Complete with closeup of neck tissue and dripping blood. Then they cut to Paris lying headless in a pool of blood then pan up to the hacker, who's face is covered in blood, turns to his friend and says with a grin, "Dude you just got wailed on by Paris Hilton!"

Yes, it's campy and riduculous but over time this helps further decensitize our youth to violence. Remember, this wasn't after 9PM this was before 10AM when kids could get a hold of the remote. Imagine this going down even 20 years ago?

I am not a card carrying member of the "Parents Television Council" but certainly this is another area that needs attention.

Is it really any surprise that one of the Columbine killers actually named his gun after a Doom character?

Ironically violence was out of control 20 years ago and is down since then. If the violence in games and on TV caused or encouraged more violence wouldn't the statistics show a rise and not a drop?

I look at more as some people are just crazy and times are just changing while todays crazies might be overly obsessed with violent games and violent movies today. 20 years ago they might of been into graphic violent books and dark comics. But I still think they are just forms of entertainment and the average person see's it as that while someone not right in the head makes it more then it is because they're not normal or average.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
You are not alone fikonj. As a parent I really can't believe what is in the music our kids listen to, the violent video games they play and what is shown on TV and in movies. When I was kid-free I didn't give this much thought but if there are parents out there who let their kids watch shows like Supernatural I can't believe it's doing them much good.

In fact, just this morning, I was flipping thought the channels and actually paused a 2009 episode of Supernatural to show my wife. The episode was about "our idols turning on us." In this masterpiece Paris Hilton (the real one and one helluva an idol) tries to kill one of the characters and is seen punching him in the face as the tustle on the ground near some logs. However, as she is about to finish him off another male character grabs a nearby axe and reapeatedly chops at Paris's neck until her head rolls away. Complete with closeup of neck tissue and dripping blood. Then they cut to Paris lying headless in a pool of blood then pan up to the hacker, who's face is covered in blood, turns to his friend and says with a grin, "Dude you just got wailed on by Paris Hilton!"

Yes, it's campy and riduculous but over time this helps further decensitize our youth to violence. Remember, this wasn't after 9PM this was before 10AM when kids could get a hold of the remote. Imagine this going down even 20 years ago?

I am not a card carrying member of the "Parents Television Council" but certainly this is another area that needs attention.

Is it really any surprise that one of the Columbine killers actually named his gun after a Doom character?

Posted on: 2012/12/17 15:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
Chilling statistics and interesting country-to-country comparisons, please read!
http://www.childrensdefense.org/child ... ildren-not-guns-2012.html

Posted on: 2012/12/17 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
From my perspective, I think we have to change our thinking. I agree that no one outside of military or police should own AK47's & whatever else is out there.

We do not want our children playing cowboys & indians with little plastic pistols or war games because they can be discriminatory as well as violent.

YET

We clamor for more video games that are violent in nature. War movies, sci-fi, vampires, just about anything in the action genre ooz violence. It is violence for the sake of violence, it has no historical reference or social commentary say, as a movie recounting battles during the Civil or World Wars.

We have created & fostered our own depraved indifference & then are horrified when a child or mentally fragile person acts out.

Weapons have become a part of our lives & until we change our mentality no amount of government control will change anything.

Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I think the right way to approach the issue is to hold buyers and sellers of guns accountable through improved gun registration, mandatory gun liability insurance, and compensation to victims and front-line emergency services.

Both sides of this debate agree on general aims: reducing gun crime, keeping guns out of the hands of wrong people, and improving responsible gun ownership.

Existing laws have proven ineffective for a variety of complex reasons. New laws to regulate ownership will be equally difficult to implement and enforce. Not to mention expensive. Insurers can handle the detail on who to insure and best gun ownership practices. Yes, you can have your AK47 with full clip, but only if you can prove to the insurer that you are responsible, and can afford the premiums. Does it solve the gun issue? No. But it's a step in the right direction.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If people want to kill themselves then its sad but great - they go alone. The problem we have here is that our mentally unstable want to take out as many with them when they go and target soft targets such as kids and the unarmed, for which we are the world's best at because we allow easy access to weapons that have rapid fire or contain many bullets in their magazine for a seemly never-ending shots.

I'm all for the right to bear arms, providing its a single shot musket type, as our forefathers most likely envisaged would be the only weapon that fires be made available for non-military or non-law enforcement ownership. Imagine if civilian gun ownership meant that they could only purchase a weapon that would have a full one minute delay before it could be fired again!

Posted on: 2012/12/17 6:07

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2012/12/17 6:26:15
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2012/12/17 6:29:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017