Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Class Action Lawsuit discussion at City Hall Tues Dec 4 @ 7:00pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
This meeting went very well. About 25 people showed up and had several questions regarding how flood insurance policies really work and what is involved with insurance adjuster's "Basement" treatment.

The short rule of thumb is that if you have to step down to enter through the front door and step up to leave through the backdoor you are technically considered a basement. That being said, there is still room for interpretation. Many of the flood adjusters are coming in from all over with no concept of city architecture / living areas and declaring these units basements based on the vague definition listed in flood policies.

The lawyer was very helpful in explaining what is involved with organizing a class action suit and has experience litigating these issues, so was able to shed some light as to what options we had and what would hold up in court.

Jeffrey is the lawyer who will be representing the homeowners, Patrick organized the meeting, and Elmer Andal was there representing councilman Fulop.

Good luck !

Jeffrey Bronster - jbronster@bronsterlaw.com
201-330-7701
Patrick Donnelly - pdonn5474@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2012/12/5 14:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates on how this meeting went?

Posted on: 2012/12/5 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Of course, Mayor Healy's solution is the best. Allow a huge condo tower on the exact spot where the water breached downtown. But at least he has the teacher's union backing. Hmmm. Wonder why?

Posted on: 2012/12/5 0:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend but would defiantly want to be part of this lawsuit. I finally had my flood Ins. adjuster come by today (American Bankers Ins. Company of Florida) and was told even if you are 1 inch below grade on all 4 sides it is considered a basement and is NOT COVERED. What an F'ing BS scam. I have been paying flood Ins for my one family brick row house for 17 yrs and have NEVER had one drop of water inside. My first floor is my kitchen, dining rm 1/2 bath, washer/dryer rm and boiler/hot water heater. It is 2 steps down from street level but It is NOT A BASEMENT.

Like many others I had to rip out my entire kitchen. My Ins adjuster (thick southern accent and not from around here) told me they will get back to me in a few months. MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!

I do NOT have the money right now to redo my kitchen. We are so sick of Chinese food and Pizza. My daughter broke down crying hysterically when I told her we will not have a kitchen for Christmas.....................This sucks. (

Please post results of this meeting.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 0:16

Class Action Lawsuit discussion at City Hall Tues Dec 4 @ 7:00pm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
If you've been denied flood insurance coverage or deemed a basement by FEMA, the homeowners in the downtown community are potentially participating in a class action lawsuit.

Flood insurance policies are written for single standalone houses in Texas or Florida and don't take into account urban architecture and living spaces. Flood insurance companies use these vaguely worded definitions to deny coverage even though it is mandatory by mortgage lenders.

The meeting should last an hour or so and is headed by a local lawyer that had success with Hurricane Irene on similar issues.

City Hall Tuesday December 04 @ 7:00pm

Posted on: 2012/12/4 1:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017