Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pedestrian access through Lincoln, Holland tunnels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I heard that some brave souls actually walked through the Lincoln tunnel last week when there was an accident or something. I think the Port Authority should install pedestrian walkways so people can walk underneath the Hudson or perhaps bicycle. Maybe charge $1 each way

The big issue would be carbon monoxide from the cars. An enclosed, ventilated walkway would have to be constructed or you would have bodies all over.

Nope. (Are cars hermetically sealed? No. Are drivers passing out?) Both tunnels are well-ventilated.

There is a difference between walking through & driving. Cars may not be hermetically sealed but you can close your windows & vents & crank up the air.

When you crank up the air, where do you think it comes from? It's been awhile since I bought a new car. Are carbon monoxide filters now standard?

I have no interest in walking through the tunnel. I do, however, have a perverse interest in not hearing nonsense passed off as fact. (A tough affliction during election season, granted.)

Here are some words combined with pictures:
http://gothamist.com/2012/04/04/what_ ... he_towers_in_the_midd.php

Posted on: 2012/11/16 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
The tunnels are ventilated.

There are large ventilation buildings on both sides of the river. E.g. the NJ one for the Lincoln Tunnel is in two large buildings, across from what is now the Weehawken Rec Center.

You could easily walk through the tunnel, even with the cars stuck in traffic and idling. It might not be pleasant, but it's perfectly safe.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I heard that some brave souls actually walked through the Lincoln tunnel last week when there was an accident or something. I think the Port Authority should install pedestrian walkways so people can walk underneath the Hudson or perhaps bicycle. Maybe charge $1 each way

The big issue would be carbon monoxide from the cars. An enclosed, ventilated walkway would have to be constructed or you would have bodies all over.

Nope. (Are cars hermetically sealed? No. Are drivers passing out?) Both tunnels are well-ventilated.

Well, you can be the first to walk through & we will use you as the guinea pig. There is a difference between walking through & driving. Cars may not be hermetically sealed but you can close your windows & vents & crank up the air. And I guarantee anyone sitting in their car for an extended period of time in the tunnel experiences nausea & some light headedness from the fumes.

Posted on: 2012/11/16 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
5K race through the tunnel, that is.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Every April, the Lincoln Tunnel is closed overnight (one tube per night) and cleaned. On the Sunday morning of the weekend when it happens, there is a 5K race - to NYC and back. It's a great event -and yes, very hilly!

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City: the beginning of the rest of America.

(See NYT article, 6th paragraph.)

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
An early version of the Smart Car?

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think I could ever walk through the Holland Tunnel after reading The Stand by Stephen King (although I believe it was the Lincoln that the characters traversed in the novel.)

As far as the walkway goes, there is this photo of an electric police vehicle from 1954:

Resized Image

(Image from this NY Times story)

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I for one do not want to walk a mile and a half through a tunnel, the last half of which is steep uphill climb, breathing car exhaust the whole way. And I love to hike.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/11/15 5:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

The big issue would be carbon monoxide from the cars. An enclosed, ventilated walkway would have to be constructed or you would have bodies all over. Many years ago there used to be a little pathway that little cars transporting workers/police back & forth scooting along the sides of the tunnel. I want to say the Lincoln but it was so many years ago. But then again, I remember when there were toll booths on both sides of the tunnel.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 3:09

Pedestrian access through Lincoln, Holland tunnels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/15 2:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017