Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Step up in predatory ticketing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
any uptick in tickets is a good step by JCPD. I see people with out of state tags parked on my block and gaming the system regularly. I see third world driving tactics on a daily basis that put everyone in danger - pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers.

So no I don't believe this increase in ticketing will drive anyone out of town. If JC actually becomes more safe than more people will consider moving here.

Wholeheartedly agree. I said good bye to my wife and child at the corner of Dames coffee shop on Jersey Ave., crossed Third Ave. and the car rolled right in to me, in front of my family I was hit by a car by an idiot rolling the stop sign. I wasn't hurt but they just kept rolling. I wanted to pull the jerk out of his car but my child was still waving good bye. I've seen mothers and their strollers be driven AROUND at a pedestrian crosswalk. It's third world driving and it has to stop.

I hope the accident report you filled out with the police states everything that happened so the insurance company gets accurate information.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 23:49
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
any uptick in tickets is a good step by JCPD. I see people with out of state tags parked on my block and gaming the system regularly. I see third world driving tactics on a daily basis that put everyone in danger - pedestrians, cyclists and other drivers.

So no I don't believe this increase in ticketing will drive anyone out of town. If JC actually becomes more safe than more people will consider moving here.

Wholeheartedly agree. I said good bye to my wife and child at the corner of Dames coffee shop on Jersey Ave., crossed Third Ave. and the car rolled right in to me, in front of my family I was hit by a car by an idiot rolling the stop sign. I wasn't hurt but they just kept rolling. I wanted to pull the jerk out of his car but my child was still waving good bye. I've seen mothers and their strollers be driven AROUND at a pedestrian crosswalk. It's third world driving and it has to stop.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/10/14 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
Has anyone else noticed an increase in tickets being handed out for minor traffic violations?

I know that parking tickets have been outrageous lately. My in-laws with NY plates don't even bring their car into JC anymore and all of my tenants complain (I have a few multifamilies). Out-of-state plates on my block overnight is pretty much a guaranteed ticket for BS reasons.

I was driving north this morning on JFK in the heights and was pulled over and ticketed for doing 40 in what was apparently a 25 zone. I don't deny anything, but I've lived here for 6 years and have never seen a car doing 25 mph on this four lane thoroughfare. The irony was that I was driving my toddler to a park in another town because every single park in the heights is riddled with graffiti and vandalism, courtesy of wonderful policing.

A few hundred dollars doesn't benefit the city much if they drive their tax base away.

There are too many out of state plates getting insurance breaks by not registrating in N.J. which is where they live.
40 in a 25 with a baby in the car just to get to a park yeah smart move your part, with cell phones put into the mix it becomes a recipie for disaster.
Using a park in another town may be against their rules of use if you don't live there.
There are lots of problems here in J.C. we just have to pick our poison.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 7:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Traffic stops are an excellent way to rake in criminals and people with outstanding warrants. Criminals are not bright and will often do things that attract police attention, speeding, running stop-signs and red lights, driving without headlights, driving while stoned or drunk etc. Cops cannot be everywhere but "filtering out" criminals via traffic stops is a great tool in policing. If you speed or run stop-signs then you should be treated like any other person who does the same.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
You have a toddler and you keep bringing up your frustration with getting ticketed for rolling through stop signs? Completely ridiculous.
My pregnant wife pushes our toddler around DTJC daily and can't even consider crossing a street when a car is coming down the road because 9 times out of 10 the car rolls through the stop sign. Which is obviously past the crosswalk.
It's a stop sign for a reason, not a yield sign.
Keep up the good work JCPD. We need even more of these tickets.

Posted on: 2012/10/14 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great news, lets hope JCPD and JCPA keep up their zero-tolerance on motoring and parking offences.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 23:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Two totally different things. You can pick them up and stop at the stop sign as the law requires.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I will certainly concede that JC driving behavior is terrible. I push a stroller most days and what I see is terrifying.

However, I will argue that aggressive ticketing does not change this behavior (look at Hoboken after they privatized enforcement).

Furthermore, we obviously have a limited number of police who work a limited number of hours. The Heights, like most of Jersey City, has seen an increase in crime over the past few years. JCPD seems to have no ability to control vandalism, drug sales, burglary, petty assaults, and general hooliganism. I would put forth that this should take precedent over ticketing petty moving violations. "Broken Windows" certainly does not apply to a family keeping up with traffic on JFK Blvd or parking an out-of-state car in front of their house.

It is sad that I have to pick up female members of my family from Journal Square after dark because it is unsafe for them to walk, yet I can expect a ticket if I roll through a stop sign along the way?

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeZ wrote:

My tenants, employees, and local friends all have similar stories of recent tickets for things like broken lights, rolling through stop signs, etc. - legitimate violations but serve and protect no one beyond the treasury to aggressively ticket.

It serves all of us to aggressively ticket things like rolling through stop signs. The driving culture around here is out of control compared to many other parts of the country, and the only way to change it is to establish an expectation that traffic laws will be enforced. Nicely asking NJ drivers to be more courteous and less impatient isn't going to change anything.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So you're saying all your potential tenants are leaving because they are being heavily ticketed with traffic violations? I've been hit by a car rolling a stop sign. I have zero pity. Good work JCPD.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
While in some ways I agree with where you are coming from, I have to respectfully disagree on the rolling through a stop sign issue. JC needs to be MUCH more aggressive about this issue (there are other threads related to this, so I won't go into detail here).

Posted on: 2012/10/13 20:02

Step up in predatory ticketing?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else noticed an increase in tickets being handed out for minor traffic violations?

I know that parking tickets have been outrageous lately. My in-laws with NY plates don't even bring their car into JC anymore and all of my tenants complain (I have a few multifamilies). Out-of-state plates on my block overnight is pretty much a guaranteed ticket for BS reasons.

I was driving north this morning on JFK in the heights and was pulled over and ticketed for doing 40 in what was apparently a 25 zone. I don't deny anything, but I've lived here for 6 years and have never seen a car doing 25 mph on this four lane thoroughfare. The irony was that I was driving my toddler to a park in another town because every single park in the heights is riddled with graffiti and vandalism, courtesy of wonderful policing.

My tenants, employees, and local friends all have similar stories of recent tickets for things like broken lights, rolling through stop signs, etc. - legitimate violations but serve and protect no one beyond the treasury to aggressively ticket. Especially residents with clean records and paperwork.

Anyone else seeing this? I know it'll disappear before the next mayoral election but it is very frustrating - especially when I have good tenants citing it as reasons not to renew a lease.

A few hundred dollars doesn't benefit the city much if they drive their tax base away.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 19:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017