Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

full capacity for Jersey City. when I go home, the Hoboken-bound train pulls into Christopher St. at the peak of rush hour with empty seats. then the JSQ train follows and it is crammed, cheek-to-jowl.

how hard is it for the PA to do a study, and adjust the number of trains accordingly? there should really be three JSQ-33rd Street trains for every two HOB-33rd.

this isn't a signal or platform-length issue. it's a question of resource-management and traffic control.

You're absolutely right. Regardless of signal issues or platform-length issues, there could be and should be trains every 4 or 5 minutes to Jersey City for more of the day. In the morning, inbound trains to 33 St. go to 10 minute service at 9:30 a.m., but the trains are packed until 10:30. In the evening, outbound trains from 33 St. go to 10 minute service at 7 p.m. but are totally packed all through the evening. And every train is packed all through the weekend. The answer is to continue the frequent service, every 4-5 minutes, for longer portions of the day.

Another amazing fact: Current ridership is estimated at 78 million this year. On the PATH website history page, it says the peak ridership was 113 million in 1927. There is no possibility that those trains were 45% more full than they are now. There must have been frequent service all day long. It would be interesting to see historic PATH timetables.

Posted on: 2012/9/28 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
I agree, raise fare and provide better service.

I don't think service will get better since they are at full capacity for number of trains and train size they can run in and of of the current stations. I suspect most of the increase will go to financing continued development of the WTC area.

full capacity for Jersey City. when I go home, the Hoboken-bound train pulls into Christopher St. at the peak of rush hour with empty seats. then the JSQ train follows and it is crammed, cheek-to-jowl.

how hard is it for the PA to do a study, and adjust the number of trains accordingly? there should really be three JSQ-33rd Street trains for every two HOB-33rd.

this isn't a signal or platform-length issue. it's a question of resource-management and traffic control.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Are you looking to see if more money equates less people ?

One can only hope...

I was in France recently and rode the Metro a lot. Their cars had flip up seats located near the doors. If the train got too crowded, people in those seats would in order to create more room. I wonder if the Path riders would do the same...

Posted on: 2012/9/27 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
It won't work, you can't change the size of the train without enlarging the platforms and stations. Also the speed of the trains is based on the size and timing of the trains. You can only do so much with 60 minutes to an hour.

Has there been a study with increased fares and ridership levels?

Are you looking to see if more money equates less people ? Hoping that rising costs will scare people into taking other modes of transportation ?

Posted on: 2012/9/27 17:40
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 16:51
Group:
Registered Users
today's commute was totally a shitshow. uber packed cars at 8:20. it will take years for station extensions to be completed. my only solution now is to get up earlier and commute at an earlier time.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:

I don't think service will get better since they are at full capacity for number of trains and train size they can run in and of of the current stations. I suspect most of the increase will go to financing continued development of the WTC area.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
It won't work, you can't change the size of the train without enlarging the platforms and stations. Also the speed of the trains is based on the size and timing of the trains. You can only do so much with 60 minutes to an hour.

Has there been a study with increased fares and ridership levels?

Posted on: 2012/9/27 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
please raise them more if it will make the path better. Rush hour this morning was outrageous.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/9/27 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
please raise them more if it will make the path better. Rush hour this morning was outrageous.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So in a few weeks, it will cost the same amount of $ to ride the Path as it will to ride the MTA subway. That is ludicrous. The Path is a tiny system spanning a few miles. For the same amount of money I can get from the Bronx to Far Rockaway. Really is absurd.

Oh, don't worry, the MTA won't be outdone. Single ride fares going to $2.50 on the subway.

http://gothamist.com/2012/09/17/mta_2 ... ides_no_bonuses_109_m.php

http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares-new.html
Effective 3:00 am Monday morning single ride PATH fares rise 25 cents to $2.25.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So in a few weeks, it will cost the same amount of $ to ride the Path as it will to ride the MTA subway. That is ludicrous. The Path is a tiny system spanning a few miles. For the same amount of money I can get from the Bronx to Far Rockaway. Really is absurd.

Oh, don't worry, the MTA won't be outdone. Single ride fares going to $2.50 on the subway.

http://gothamist.com/2012/09/17/mta_2 ... ides_no_bonuses_109_m.php

Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
From JCI:

Beginning on October 1, 2012 at 3 am, a single PATH ride will rise to $2.25; two-trip tickets will be $4.50; 10-trip tickets will be $17; 20-trip tickets will be $34; 40-trip tickets will be $68; a 30-day unlimited will be $73 and a 7-day unlimited will be $24.

Beginning on October 1, 2013 at 3 am, a single PATH ride will rise to $2.50; two-trip tickets will be $5; 10-trip tickets will be $19; 20-trip tickets will be $38; 40-trip tickets will be $76; a 30-day unlimited will be $80 and a 7-day unlimited will be $26.

Beginning on October 1, 2014 at 3 am, a single PATH ride will rise to $2.75; two-trip tickets will be $5.50; 10-trip tickets will be $21; 20-trip tickets will be $42; 40-trip tickets will be $84; a 30-day unlimited will be $89 and a 7-day unlimited will be $29.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 20:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know exactly when the next fare hike goes into effect? I remember last year it was in mid to late September and they had signs up in stations and on the website about the hike but haven't seen anything yet. I want to be able to load up as many trips as possible on the SmartLink Card like I did last year. I saw a few articles from last year say October 1 each of the next four years but I distinctly remember being on a Sunday in September.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 19:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if I could get a part-time job on the PATH board of directors... I doubt my ideas would be any worse than the ones they've already come up with. For instance, why not hire "white glove" handlers to help out on the platforms (especially NWK and JSQ) during the morning/evening rush? These friendly folks would assist passengers in squeezing into the packed metal tin cans as they prepared to be whisked away to their intended destinations. This plan would provide gainful employment to sociopaths and other scumbags who would otherwise waste their days lounging around the JSQ fountain and has already been implemented successfully in Japan. Look forward to HOPE and CHANGE*, courtesy of your PATH leadership!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2R_mqV4ts

*Note: due to the proposed plan, patrons will incur a $3.00 - $5.00 monthly surcharge to offset the cost of training and housing said handlers. Thank you for your continued patronage!

Posted on: 2012/9/12 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would prefer the older PATH cars or the older MTA cars primarily because they are much more comfortable, temperature-wise. I place more importance on the train temperature/comfort level, and its speed, than in how a train looks and sounds. The old PATH trains, and all of the MTA trains (new and old) are much more comfortable temperature-wise.

I believe the only reason the trains go so darn slow is that the signal system is ancient. If it is in fact the rails (which I've never heard of), then they should have taken the money they spent on hundreds of new trains and put it towards the rails.

All of this aside...the MTA has a much broader reach (it's not even close) than the PATH, and the two products are now the same price. It's like charging the exact same price for a slingshot and a machine gun. You don't feel like a sucker?

Posted on: 2012/9/11 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Not to mention that MTA trains travel approximately 2x the speed of PATH trains, and have much better climate control inside the cars.

So you'd prefer the mid-1970s R46 trains found on the old BMT tracks over the new PATH cars that were just installed last year? Ride the A and then say you'd prefer an MTA car over a PATH car.

Also -- the trains can only travel as fast as the tracks that were built over 100 years ago allow. The straight-shot from Exchange Place to WTC is quick because it's straight. The twists and bends between Newport and Christopher is slow. It has nothing to do with the PATH, the Port Authority inherited the tracks when they took over from the H&M.

edit: The ferry is about $7 - $8. Cut off your nose to spite your face?

Posted on: 2012/9/11 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Exactly right. So starting in a few weeks, I can pay $2.25 to have access to 450 subway stops (MTA system), or I can pay $2.25 to have access to 13 subway stops (PATH system).

Clearly it doesn't add up. Doesn't that make anybody angry?

Not to mention that MTA trains travel approximately 2x the speed of PATH trains, and have much better climate control inside the cars.

It might be time to start thinking about the ferry. The 33rd Street line in the mornings has been inhumanely crowded.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 20:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

With your concept we should pay according to the number of stops we pass before getting off.

The point he was making is that with the MTA, you can go anywhere you want in the city. Need to hop uptown to visit a friend? Get on the subway. You can go to Queens, anywhere. The beach. Get on and go one stop if it starts raining. You can do all of those things. With the PATH, I can't hop on and go visit my friends in the Heights, or go anywhere in Jersey City basically. All the Path does is ferry people to manhattan, and sometimes just in the "general area" you need to be at.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

someguyinjc wrote:
I find it ridiculous how the PATH reps set up a little kiosk at the WTC turnstiles on the first Thursday (or thereabouts) of each month just to hand out these plastic cardholders. I've amassed a colorful collection of these things over the last year or so. Why in the hell would an organization that constantly bleeds money blow even more dough on useless gimmicks/PR campaigns like this? This also creates a little bit of a bottleneck for folks streaming out of the crammed tin cans as they head for the escalators during the morning rat race. If the PATH has the money to waste on plastic trinkets, why not just fix the "signals" that always seem to experience intermittent "signal problems" at the most inopportune times? Totally misguided... Is it any wonder that this mismanaged organization needs to constantly hike fares to offset its incompetence?

Could you imagine what else PATH is spending money on. This is probably nothing compared to some of the big ticket items out there. And this is on the outside or on the surface just think of how spending is in-house where the passengers are closed out from viewing the real deal.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

This is just gross all around. They need some competition; someone get rid of the monopoly they have on the hudson river. The path barely goes anywhere. 2.75 is ludicrous. Then after that what happens? 3 dollars? Five? They can do whatever they want basically.

It will be 25 cents more per year for the next 3 years that was the plan startign with the last fare hike. So it will be $2.75 to ride the PATH in 2014. Then I'm sure there will be another fare hike just not sure at what level.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

With your concept we should pay according to the number of stops we pass before getting off.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I find it ridiculous how the PATH reps set up a little kiosk at the WTC turnstiles on the first Thursday (or thereabouts) of each month just to hand out these plastic cardholders. I've amassed a colorful collection of these things over the last year or so. Why in the hell would an organization that constantly bleeds money blow even more dough on useless gimmicks/PR campaigns like this? This also creates a little bit of a bottleneck for folks streaming out of the crammed tin cans as they head for the escalators during the morning rat race. If the PATH has the money to waste on plastic trinkets, why not just fix the "signals" that always seem to experience intermittent "signal problems" at the most inopportune times? Totally misguided... Is it any wonder that this mismanaged organization needs to constantly hike fares to offset its incompetence?

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

This is just gross all around. They need some competition; someone get rid of the monopoly they have on the hudson river. The path barely goes anywhere. 2.75 is ludicrous. Then after that what happens? 3 dollars? Five? They can do whatever they want basically.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 6:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So in a few weeks, it will cost the same amount of $ to ride the Path as it will to ride the MTA subway.

So why can't the MTA and the PA get their shit together and allow the unlimited card to share both states? Oh yeah....it's a screw job. I forgot.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 23:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

someguyinjc wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Fare hike just around the corner. If Teddy doesn't get ya, the Port Authority will!

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... path-fare-toll-hike-plan/

FTS...

Posted on: 2012/9/6 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/9/6 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
This is terrible. There should be no increase until the PA is fully audited and most of the patronage jobs are cut and all the projects in the pipeline reexamined.

My guess is a lot of it is/has been/will be wasted on the corruption and crap that has surrounded the reconstruction of WTC over the past ten years. I'm sure a lot of pockets got fat. Dont get me wrong, I want it to be bigger and more beautiful than before but crooks are crooks.

Just read a good article on it:

http://www.esquire.com/features/world-trade-center-rebuilding-0912

Posted on: 2012/9/6 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
This is terrible. There should be no increase until the PA is fully audited and most of the patronage jobs are cut and all the projects in the pipeline reexamined.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 3:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Fare hike just around the corner. If Teddy doesn't get ya, the Port Authority will!

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... path-fare-toll-hike-plan/

Posted on: 2012/9/6 0:42

« 1 ... 37 38 39 (40) 41 42 43 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017