Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Save the Food Trucks of Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Its not only the bricks and mortar restaurants that suffer, but also every other business in the vicinity - These trucks / vans use up valueable parking spaces that are vital for customer turn-over to businesses and services in the area and we all know that parking is limited and difficult to find at the best of times.

I do like the idea of a food truck hub / court specifically catering to their type of business - They should form an association and buy some land and have a circle of vans on it (off-street lot) with toilet facilities and trash bins for them and their patrons.

Why don't the food truck hang-around for the local dinner crowds or venture into the non-business districts at lunch time?

There are maybe 4-5 trucks total by the Grove Path and usually 2 of them are parked in the plaza. That's hardly enough to cause parking issues.

The trucks do hang around for dinner. Non-business districts probably have far few customers. People who work in office buildings like food trucks because they're more affordable and varied than the office cafeteria or au bon pain or whatever.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its not only the bricks and mortar restaurants that suffer, but also every other business in the vicinity - These trucks / vans use up valueable parking spaces that are vital for customer turn-over to businesses and services in the area and we all know that parking is limited and difficult to find at the best of times.

I do like the idea of a food truck hub / court specifically catering to their type of business - They should form an association and buy some land and have a circle of vans on it (off-street lot) with toilet facilities and trash bins for them and their patrons.

Why don't the food truck hang-around for the local dinner crowds or venture into the non-business districts at lunch time?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 14:58

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/8/7 15:16:47
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/8/7 15:17:52
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Bricks and morter restaurants and cafe owners should be given priority over the food vans.
Its a huge investment for them, they employ staff provide toilet facilities, pay much high taxes, rents, utility charges, remove and dispose of their waste and have a higher standand of public liability insurance, plus they are not transient if they stuff up. They rely heavily on goodwill and reputation to survive.
I see food vans as nothing more then 'hit and run' opportunists that add nothing to the community and only exist to benefit their own needs - you will also discover that SOME don't even reside in JC or even NJ

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if a sit down restaurant loses any business to a food truck, they must be a lousy restaurant that doesn't deserve to be in business anyway. Furthermore, it is just as much the bricks and mortar restaurant owner's choice to open up in Jersey City as it is the food truck owner's - and it is their responsibility to be aware of all the potential competition. If they don't like it, then maybe it isn't the right type of business for them. Alternatively, there is plenty of space for restaurants in the more spread out suburbs and off highways, where food trucks generally don't operate. Or, what is stopping any of them from opening up their own food truck, as a few bricks and mortar restaurants in Jersey City already do on occasion? It's the capitalist system bro - get used to it!

Finally, who cares where the owners of restaurants and/or food trucks live? I live in Jersey City but work in New York most of the time as I'm sure many others living in Jersey City do. Does that make a hit-and-run opportunist at my job?

Posted on: 2013/8/7 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Bricks and morter restaurants and cafe owners should be given priority over the food vans.

This is not about "priority." It's about writing rational laws that fit the situation, as well as recognizing that restaurants should not "win" because they use the law to eliminate a competitor.

Quote:
I see food vans as nothing more then 'hit and run' opportunists....

Many of these vans stick around for years. If it were possible, they'd stay in the same spots indefinitely -- they can be quite territorial.

Quote:
that add nothing to the community and only exist to benefit their own needs....

Obviously that's not the case, otherwise no one would patronize them.

Or, on the flip side, restaurants aren't charities. Restaurant owners want to profit just as much as the van owners.

Quote:
you will also discover that SOME don't even reside in JC or even NJ

And I'm sure there are several JC restaurant owners who don't reside in JC or NJ.

So what?

Are we really going to be so parochial that we don't want anyone who doesn't live here to be able to do business here? That's just absurd.

It doesn't matter where you live. What matters is that you provide clean food that your customers enjoy. And while the law can be used to ensure that those restaurants and vans are clean and orderly, it shouldn't be used to kill off the competition.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 11:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by I_heart_JC on 2013/8/6 17:45:47
this seems like something the Silverman brothers would do in their lot next to Hamilton Park.

They do -- Hamilton Park BBQ Fest. It's among my favorite holidays of the year. Coming up 9/28/2013.

https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonparkbbqfestival

edit: link added

Posted on: 2013/8/7 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
One time I was visiting Portland OR, and some friends and I had dinner in a vacant lot that had been converted into a food truck food court -- basically a bunch of trucks parked around the perimeter with picnic benches in the middle. It was awesome. I don't see why Jersey City couldn't have the same thing

this seems like something the Silverman brothers would do in their lot next to Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
One time I was visiting Portland OR, and some friends and I had dinner in a vacant lot that had been converted into a food truck food court -- basically a bunch of trucks parked around the perimeter with picnic benches in the middle. It was awesome. I don't see why Jersey City couldn't have the same thing

Posted on: 2013/8/6 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Its an unfair playing field between bricks and mortar establishments and food vans - This is only one of numerous reasons many cities throughout the US and the world band food vans. They have systematically been expelled from many NY neighborhoods and boroughs and have migrated here as a last ditch effort to recoupe some of their investments. I am aware of one food van trader that is already researching other munipalities that have not yet introduced food van prohibition laws. Food vans are like migrating gypsies and move as they became outlawed and as high tax paying stakeholders / bricks and mortar established, demand abatements or complain to the fair trading authories.

How is it an unfair playing field? They aren't even playing the same game.

Sit down restaurant vs. food truck pick up is an entirely different experience. When I want to sit down at 30 Acres, etc - an awesome food truck won't deter me. And vice versa - if I want a quick, casual bite, I'm not going to go to a sit-down restaurant.

Even if the dining experiences were comparable - more choices is always better for the consumer. If consumers are supporting food trucks, who are you to stop them? Just don't buy from them.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I disagree. There should be room for every type of food establishment in a cosmopolitan city to cater to anything one wants to eat. Removing them from the streets does not mean I will eat at a bricks and mortar restaurant instead. Some of them are good because no other place serves what they have, it is unique.

Those crybaby bricks and mortar establishments that complain about food trucks really can't stand on their own and blame others for their mediocre offering or lack of customers.

I don't hear anything from the really good places such as Lighthorse Tavern, Komegashi/Too, Sawadee/More or Thanh Hoai about competition from food trucks. I know the owners of these restaurants. Have you?

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Its an unfair playing field between bricks and mortar establishments and food vans - This is only one of numerous reasons many cities throughout the US and the world band food vans. They have systematically been expelled from many NY neighborhoods and boroughs and have migrated here as a last ditch effort to recoupe some of their investments. I am aware of one food van trader that is already researching other munipalities that have not yet introduced food van prohibition laws. Food vans are like migrating gypsies and move as they became outlawed and as high tax paying stakeholders / bricks and mortar established, demand abatements or complain to the fair trading authories.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:11
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
they are trucks, not stands, with diesel engines usually running. parked in (not around) public space.

otherwise no problem.

Quote:

JasonLLEE wrote:
The big question is what's wrong with the food trucks? If ppl in Jersey City have not noticed Food Trucks that are staples for commuters and foodies alike become actual brick and mortar restaurants. Ex: Kraverie, and recent addition of the Taco truck that is now a restaurant by Hamilton Park. So honestly whats wrong with them food trucks?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 3:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
The big question is what's wrong with the food trucks? If ppl in Jersey City have not noticed Food Trucks that are staples for commuters and foodies alike become actual brick and mortar restaurants. Ex: Kraverie, and recent addition of the Taco truck that is now a restaurant by Hamilton Park. So honestly whats wrong with them food trucks?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I've said it many times before, but I am not going to see a food truck on my way to a sit down dinner and decide to eat from the food truck instead. They are different dining experiences. And if I want take out from somewhere in particular, it's unlikely that a food truck selling tacos or whatever is going to deter me from getting pizza or Thai etc.

Food trucks serve a market that is complementary to the brick and mortar market. As Matt said, more variety = better food culture = more residents to support eateries of all kinds.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
It's a hard sell for some but I believe food trucks are win/win for both residents and restaurant-owners alike. Here's how:

People like dining choices. People like living in places with lots of dining choices. Food trucks provide more dining choices. In the long run -- if there is consistent volume and variety of choices -- more people will choose to eat and live here. This will provide a larger customer base than would be here without the added choice; this brings more customers to all.

In the short term, restaurant proprietors may feel there is an uneven playing field and they may have a point. Except that the previous city council passed mobile food vendor legislation that even Councilman Sottolano remarked was flawed at the time. What he meant was that the legislation is overly onerous on food trucks. Nearly all other council members agreed.

I believe the solution is to loosen up the regulations a bit, giving purveyors of good eats better opportunity to get to our stomachs. If restaurants begin to close en masse as a result then we can...well...they won't. Why? Because people love the experience of going to a restaurant and getting great service.

There is plenty of room in our city for many types of businesses to exist together; Jersey City will be much richer as it continues to expand culinary choices for residents and visitors. This also aligns with the new administration's desire to make JC a destination in and of itself.

Just one hungry man's opinion.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
If you agree with food vans then lets have the following to;

1. ...
Lets do away with all stores and have everything mobile!

I really think you have hit on a brilliant idea for solving a problem in underserviced neighborhoods, no wonder your initials are FAB. Fruit and vegetable vans, maybe even pediatrician vans would cut down the start up costs and the risk of opening a new business. It wasn't that long ago that an old man used to drive a truck thru Harsimus Cove selling fruits and vegetables. In small villages in France, such as Coincy, a butcher truck comes twice a week and parks in front of the church.

I don't think that was that brilliant an idea. To begin with, he mistook "let's not prohibit food trucks" for "let's order the food to be sold from trucks".

Also, he couldn't care less about services to other people. What he means is, - he doesn't like those trucks, so he feels justified in prohibiting them. Next time he will decide that he doesn't like ice-cream trucks, or hot dog stands, or picnic areas, or restaurants putting tables on the sidewalk, or just any store outside of the designated mall, or a restaurant outside of a designated restaurant zone.

Who knows?!

Posted on: 2013/8/5 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

1. Bicycle repair and service vans on bike paths and popular routes

2. Tire van selling popular tires at major car parks

3. Cigarette Vans outside businesses downtown

4. Beer Vans also outside businesses

5. Pet Vans - supply and grooming outside parks

6. Supply Vans selling milk and bread

7. Walmart Semi trailer / Vans selling from the street

I really think you have hit on a brilliant idea for solving a problem in underserviced neighborhoods, no wonder your initials are FAB. Fruit and vegetable vans, maybe even pediatrician vans would cut down the start up costs and the risk of opening a new business. It wasn't that long ago that an old man used to drive a truck thru Harsimus Cove selling fruits and vegetables. In small villages in France, such as Coincy, a butcher truck comes twice a week and parks in front of the church.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
i agree with all of these except walmart. fk em.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/5 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/4 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Its a huge investment for them, they employ staff provide toilet facilities, pay much high taxes, rents, utility charges, remove and dispose of their waste and have a higher standand of public liability insurance, plus they are not transient if they stuff up. They rely heavily on goodwill and reputation to survive.
I see food vans as nothing more then 'hit and run' opportunists that add nothing to the community and only exist to benefit their own needs - you will also discover that SOME don't even reside in JC or even NJ

Posted on: 2013/8/4 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/4 20:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
It's important to get this one right. The trucks are great - for everything except... drum roll please... a plain slice.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
New regulations for Jersey City food trucks again delayed by City Council

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on February 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

A measure to revamp Jersey City?s regulations regarding food trucks was postponed again tonight, in yet another setback for a measure that the City Council first introduced 16 months ago.

The ordinance, which was set for adoption tonight and has been in the works for two years, was tabled so city officials could review changes suggested by two food-truck owners who spoke to the council tonight and at its Monday caucus.

The measure would require that food trucks and other mobile food vendors move at least 150 feet every two hours. The current requirement is that vendors move every 20 minutes, though it is rarely enforced.

The ordinance would also prohibit the vendors from selling in parts of Journal Square and Newport.

Taco Truck owner Jason Scott on Monday told the council he objected to a portion of the ordinance that would have prohibited vendors from parking on private property even with the permission of the property owner. Another portion, Scott said, is worded in a way that would essentially forbid the vendors from parking anywhere in Jersey City.

City officials have been working on the new regulations for two years. The council was set to introduce it in April 2011, but postponed the vote when vendors said the proposal was too restrictive.

The council introduced the measure the following October, but adoption was delayed as the body tried to include language favorable to vendors, brick-and-mortar restaurants and city health officials.

City Clerk Robert Byrne said tonight the council will review the ordinance at its next caucus to ?dissect? it with health officials.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_cit_2.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/28 6:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
100%

I feel like most trucks give that little extra somthing instead of just "slingin hash"

I miss the heavy metal mexican cart that used to be at Grove st.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 15:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/11 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
I've had nothing but good quality and good value from the food trucks. They expand the palette of what's available, especially at lunch time, and the city should be encouraging them.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 14:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
From Home by the Range's facebook page:

Quote:
I regret to inform everyone that effective immediately I will no longer be serving lunch in Jersey City. Unfortunately, a variety of factors including moving to a new location, low demand (as a result) and expiring permits have led me to this decision. I want to thank everyone in Jersey City who has supported me and the Home By The Range brand since 2011!

It seems the city's punitive food truck ordinance continues to have its desired effect. You know it's bad when NYC's permits seem workable as an alternative.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
some of them still show up there some days. A couple moved down towards Goldman Sachs.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 14:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/1 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
They were on Hudson St, between 2nd and 1st, just north of the Harborside Place PATH station.

There were several trucks -- pizza, Taco Truck, Korean Tacos, mexican trailer, some organic guy, etc. They were my lunch everyday but now they're gone!

I wonder if that new "Jersey City Bistro" which opened up in the office building directly across from them complained. Shame, that place is just "meh" and has screwed up every one of the three orders I've placed with them since the trucks were banished. Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Anyone?

Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I'm still confused as to where the food trucks are... Is this about the Food Trucks and Carts found near exchange place ?

Posted on: 2012/6/15 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone?

Quote:

sepecat wrote:
I'm still confused as to where the food trucks are... Is this about the Food Trucks and Carts found near exchange place ?

Posted on: 2012/5/30 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/24 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Perhaps it is a parking issue. Sanitary conditions are hard to come by as well. And remember the "extra" 400 food vendor permits that were given out. What is the main reason for the lack of truck vendors, is it permits, licenses, zoning, or location, location, location. What are you looking for ?

A parking issue? With some of the best mass transit access in the state and huge, empty parking garages all over the downtown, there is no dearth of parking in Jersey City.

Food trucks and bike lanes a Portland Or. we ain't. Although I wish we were. Can the food trucks be trusted though ?

What are you so worried about? Are people dying in the streets after eating food from a truck?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:57

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017