Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 26 »

Re: HUGE GAS PIPELINE COMING - through Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/12 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
The gas lines that are causing issues in Southern NJ are normal residential lines -- the kind that are already in place, all over JC.

So, thanks for the fear-mongering. It's just what we need while recovering from a hurricane. ;)

Posted on: 2012/11/1 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/1 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
This is along Caven Point Road. They cleared a bunch of trees and are burying the pipe there.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the same thing on Tuesday afternoon. Right next to the Tpk extension. Smart location...

Posted on: 2012/10/25 13:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
i was driving on the extension yesterday and right before the toll, i saw the huge pipe, probably around 3 feet in diameter going in on the right....that's got to be the pipe...i just shook my head.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody else noticed the huge white tent that went up on the west side of Coles street between 17th street and 18th street right next to American Self Storage? I'm pretty sure they are starting the drilling process for the gas pipeline in that area underneath the tent.

Posted on: 2012/10/20 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Feds reject request to reconsider OK of $857 million natural-gas pipeline for NJ/NY

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
October 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The federal agency that in May green-lit Spectra Energy?s controversial proposal to build a natural-gas pipeline in parts of Hudson County has denied the city?s request that the agency reconsider its earlier decision.

The move is a setback for Jersey City and pipeline opponents, who are left with only one more option to stop the $857 million plan: a lawsuit filed in federal court.

Today?s decision is also a blow to Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who has made the pipeline fight a top priority of his administration.

Healy has vowed to initiate the federal lawsuit that now is the only avenue left for the city to stop the project.

In a 53-page ruling issued today, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission denied the city?s allegations that FERC?s approval of the pipeline plan failed to adequately consider risks associated with a possible attack on the pipeline, the economic consequences of the plan, and more.

FERC also rebuffed Jersey City?s claim that the agency is not a neutral party. The city had claimed that since the agency riles on the energy industry for its funding ? FERC?s budget is paid for through fees and charges levied on energy companies ? the body is biased in Spectra's favor.

The commissioners say in the ruling that they generally reject parties when they ?raise a novel issue? unless they find that the parties couldn?t have presented the issue previously.

?To present this argument now is, in effect, an improper collateral attack on longstanding statutory funding provisions,? the ruling reads, noting that Congress established FERC?s self-funding mechanism in 1986.

The pipeline would add about 15 miles of pipe underneath parts of Jersey City, Bayonne and Hoboken before heading into Manhattan.

Opponents say the pipeline would threaten the safety of residents, in addition to discouraging new development along the pipeline route, some of which runs in the city?s lucrative Waterfront district.

Spectra officials have said the pipeline would be one of the safest in North America, and they touted changes they made to the pipeline route after hearing objections from community groups.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... t_request_to_reconsi.html

Posted on: 2012/10/18 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FERC agrees to reconsider Jersey City's motion opposing Spectra pipeline

Oct 12, 2012
Hudson Reporter

JERSEY CITY - Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy announced Friday that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) has agreed to rehear the city's legal petition regarding the Spectra Energy's natural gas pipeline. This new hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 18.

In May, FERC conditionally approved Spectra's application to build a natural gas pipeline that will cut through several cities, including Jersey City and Bayonne.

In response, Jersey City filed a 43-page appeal, officially known as a "Request for Rehearing." Among other things the city's appeal questioned the constitutionality of FERC's decisions and questioned whether the federal agency could fairly evaluate construction proposals for gas pipelines since the agency is funded entirely on fees generated by energy companies. The city's appeal argued that, since energy companies entirely fund FERC, FERC is biased toward those companies in a way that violates fundamental rights to due process.

The city's appeal cited research that found that, since 2010, FERC has approved nearly three dozen pipelines. In every case but one, the agency approved the pipeline route that the pipeline company proposed - despite the existence of dozens of other viable alternative routes.

For more than two years, Mayor Healy and the city have argued that this pipeline, which would be 30-inches in diameter with a possible pressure of 1,200 pounds per square inch, is the first of its magnitude to be built in a densely populated urban area near several transit hubs such as the Holland Tunnel and the New Jersey Turnpike. City officials - from engineers, to homeland security staffers, and economic development experts - have challenged Spectra's claims that the pipeline does not present a serious hazard.

The city has long argued that he pipeline should be re-routed underground and under the Hudson River.

Spectra has repeatedly opposed a Hudson River route without giving a reason for its opposition.

"The proposed route for this pipeline takes it by several schools, parks, ball fields, hospitals, critical transportation infrastructure, and dense housing within our city," Healy said. "Based on what we have seen from pipeline accidents across the country recently and in the past, including one yesterday in Nyack, New York, we know that incidents do happen, and one in Jersey City would be catastrophic."

Read more: Hudson Reporter - FERC agrees to reconsider Jersey City s motion opposing Spectra pipeline

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... te_lead_story_left_column

Posted on: 2012/10/12 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra pipeline under construction, but lawsuits pending

September 04. 2012 11:43AM
By Jared Kaltwasser
NJBIZ.COM

Opponents of a controversial pipeline through Jersey City are vowing to continue the fight, even as they sit in a legal holding pattern and construction of the pipeline continues.

In May, Spectra Energy won approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to build a 16-mile extension of its Texas Eastern Transmission and Algonquin Gas Transmission pipelines. The expansion would boost the system's capacity to transport natural gas to Manhattan and other parts of the region. The project has faced stiff opposition from Jersey City and community groups who see it as a safety risk to put the pipeline in a densely populated area.

Jersey City has asked FERC to reconsider its decision. Derek Fanciullo, assistant corporation counsel for the city, said the reconsideration request is necessary before the city can take further legal action.

In the meantime, the approval gave Spectra permission to begin building the pipeline. Marylee Hanley, a Spectra spokeswoman, said construction began July 9. The project is slated for completion in November 2013.

Fanciullo said there's no clear timeline for when FERC will make its next move. FERC was supposed to respond to the city's rehearing request within 30 days. Technically, they did so, Fanciullo said, but only to say they needed more time. Fanciullo said experts he's talked to suggest it could be months before FERC acts.

"They think if we got something back by the end of the year from them, we might be lucky," he said.

Fanciullo thinks it's highly unlikely FERC will reverse course. If it doesn't, he said, the city is committed to going up the legal ladder, which in this case would mean asking a federal court to review the matter.

Fanciullo said the city thinks it's a losing strategy to simply ask the court to nitpick FERC's decision in this particular case. Instead, the city plans to make the agency itself the issue.

"Part of what we're saying is FERC is unconstitutional on its face," he said.

Fanciullo said the agency is funded by fees and charges from the industries it regulates, which he argues skews its judgment. As evidence, he said, while FERC is supposed to consider alternative routes for pipeline projects, the agency has only once declined to approve a route originally proposed by the pipeline company. In the lone exception, he said the agency made only a minimal change, and asked the pipeline company's permission first.

Fanciullo said the city is prepared to take the case to the Supreme Court, if necessary.

Meanwhile, other opponents are preparing for legal action. Dale Hardman, president of No Gas Pipeline, said his group stands ready to sue once FERC acts. He said other citizens' groups have expressed plans to do the same.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20120904 ... tion-but-lawsuits-pending

Posted on: 2012/9/5 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
yeah if you didn?t already know this project is full steam ahead. You can see the work being done on rt 440 in Bayonne. A month or so ago they were working across from the new Bayonne Crossing?s Shopping Center (Lowes,Walmart). They just don?t come in and a dig hole and lay the pipe. It is a big time operation with a lot of heavy equipment involved. They first removed any living bush, weed, or tree in the path of the section that were doing. (My first thought was that General Sherman had been through the area!) It looks like they than dig up the present soil and put new soil down, leveled everything out and marked the path of the pipe. Now they are digging the ?not so deep? looking trenches and laying the gas pipe.

Like stillinjc said above they have some pipe staging areas along rt 440 in Bayonne. They stick out because of the circus type multi colored banners they have strung up. At first I thought the little flag type banners were a ?dis? to the anti pipeline folks,(we won, we won) but later noticed it was to warn about above power lines.

I would love the JJ to do a piece about how Spectra said they were going to hire 5,000 people for the pipeline project. For that section of work I described above there were maybe 20 workers and one cop car there for a few weeks. Also if you didn?t know it this is the company doing the work. I noticed out of state license plates on the trucks and private cars and looked up the firm.

www.henkels.com

Henkels & McCoy is one of the
largest privately held engineering,
network development and
construction firms serving the
communications, information
technology and utility industries.
We have more than 80 offices
strategically located from
New England to Hawaii.

They do have some jobs listed for our area for work on the pipeline but it looks like maybe only one or two for a project manager. Maybe it is a good thing they are not living up to the promise of hiring local workers to work the pipeline. I don?t want some yahoo from Bayonne or JC with NO pipeline experience working on a gas pipeline in my hood!!! Let the pro?s handle it.

I also heard a firm from Wisconsin is in Bayonne doing the under water digging work.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 15:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Half of American Self Storage's parking lot is under construction right now at the corner of Coles and 18th.
I asked what was being done and was told the gas pipeline.

Construction has definitely begun.

This is directly across from the new development Cast Iron Lofts that's "the first step in a new and exciting neighborhood coming to Downtown Jersey City, NJ". Quote from their website.

So frustrating that everyone is against it, doesn't benefit our city, and nothing can be done.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

Brewster, we said from beginning we wanted it up the Hudson from Staten Island and there would be alternatives we proposed based on FERC's requirements. In fact, the "no build alternative" is listed as #1 even by Spectra who dismisses it outright. There is a glut of gas in the US that even the trade associations admit and therefore why in most states the price is low.

You can't have it both ways - you can't on one hand fight against fracking in the Marcellus Shale because you believe it is the cause of the pipeline and on the other hand say we are cool with the pipeline if they put it in the river. Truth is, industry has been wanting/trying to accomplish this expansion long before the Marcellus gas become commercially viable.

For the record, the recoverable reserves in the MS are nowhere near the biggest in the world. Ras Laffan, offshore Qatar has about four times the reserves. Gas in the MacKenzie Delta and Beaufort Sea (NW Territories) also dwarf the MS.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only "evidence" I can find for the claim that Spectra has filed for eminent domain is that one sentence. And it makes no sense.

"Eminent domain" is a process by which the state seizes property it does not own, and repurposes it for some other function. For example, if a city wants to build a park on private property, and the owner refuses to sell it to the city, then the city can condemn the property, file for eminent domain, and a court will decide whether to allow the seizure.

The LHS leases the property from the city. And the city cannot seize property from... itself.

Eminent domain would not -- and could not -- apply to the LHS situation. It would be like suing yourself to seize your own property. The concept just doesn't apply.

In terms of possible broader uses of eminent domain for the pipeline: As far as I know there haven't been any city council votes, property hasn't been condemned, and there haven't been any court proceedings. It takes far longer than a few weeks to go from "filing for eminent domain" to "we can kick the current residents out and tear up the property."

Spectra can't "file for eminent domain," because they are not the municipality that actually would need to perform the process. The only thing they can do is ask the city to seize property via eminent domain that they were unable to acquire.

So, it seems that Ms Morrill is somehow mistaken or was misquoted.

That said: It is entirely possible that some of the work would temporarily inconvenience the shelter, and we should support and offer aid to the shelter if they happen to be affected.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:[...]

Ive been hearing people like yourself characterize those of us looking for use of renewable, sustainable energy counter to our dependency on fossil fuels, since 1970. Over 40 years of being called "crazy-leftist" for wanting clean, safe water and air. Now there is an international realization that climate change is real and principally caused by man and then by use of fossil fuels.

If that makes me a "crazy-leftist", for wanting a stop to fracking then count me and my brethren among that order.

I admire your ideals, but personally, I think globalizing the issue hurts the battle more than it helps, it makes you look (accurately in fact) like you're fighting the whole gas industry more than simply the land route through Hudson County. Without advocating an alternative route, you lose credibility, Spectra can argue that you're against anything they would do, so why pay attention to your specific route concerns. And while I agree that exporting the gas is a flawed idea on many levels, I don't think the gas that reaches Manhattan will be exported.

Was there a reason beyond added cost as to why they couldn't run it up through the bay & river? Was there an issue of a pipeline on top of the tunnels? I've never heard the specifics of this.

Brewster, we said from beginning we wanted it up the Hudson from Staten Island and there would be alternatives we proposed based on FERC's requirements. In fact, the "no build alternative" is listed as #1 even by Spectra who dismisses it outright. There is a glut of gas in the US that even the trade associations admit and therefore why in most states the price is low.

When we were asked to meet with Spectra privately, along with NJ Sierra Club, NJ Food and Water Watch, Jeff Tittel, Director of NJ Sierra Club, pointed to the map and asked them why they didn't build the pipeline along the West Side Highway transmitting gas from their Northern Canadian companies to NYC? Their was a pin drop silence since Jeff & Spectra knew what the rest of us didn't: Spectra didn't own the Right of Way (ROW) there, Millennium did so it wasn't about gas being needed for NYC it was about Spectra needing to position itself for the MS transmission and providing shareholders with a nice dividend. In fact, Spectra 's business rose 34% that year (2010) and the dividend was over $1+ Billion. Spectra needed to beat analyst forecast for next year so the last thing Spectra was gonna do was spend more money going through the Hudson or making a Brooklyn connection.

Pipelines above tunnels was something never considered for the Top 10 Reasons Not to Build the Pipeline we have at our site.

So then we asked for the Hudson River route #2,#3 and #4 alternatives were dismissed by Spectra as too *problematical* (read costly). No in Spectra's POV there was only one solution and they were willing to spend almost $900 million, $60 million a mile, to have their route over land.

The pipeline will transmit both ways so that the entire Northeast corridor is already in play for loop feeders that will connect from this pipeline to other pipelines that enable the LNG connections. All the current projects and upcoming pipelines and LNG stations are outlined at the National Gas Association site and others by googling.

The global connection is simply to prepare people for what the Oscar-nominated film by Josh Fox, Gasland , showed: a United States with red pins representing drilling rigs for fracked gas going on and the snaking of pipelines across the US is the flailing of fossil fuels in the US when we could have created already alternative solutions that provide both jobs and a safe environment. NJ DEP Bob Martin has approved a pipeline through the Highlands, last refuge of original hardwood trees in NJ. The pipeline through Jersey City to NYC and beyond is just one aspect of all those link connections.

So irrespective of my own personal opinion, we have as a group always argued and suggested alternatives which we will put forth in federal appellate court as to process not brought forth to disclose material facts we shall disclose.

I think ultimately it will be settled in federal court and NO Gas Pipeline will come to an end. We hope it will be beneficial for Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 23:20
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Thanks, I remember looking on Spectra's site for such unsuccessfully. When you see a laundry list, and there are several points you know to be bullshit, it makes you suspicious of the rest. The PA has no plans to expand trans Hudson tunnel service anytime within decades. And clearly there's no reason why, after traversing the entire width of NJ, that traversing Hudson County is a requirement for NJ to be able to get some of the gas. Why these "stakeholders" get a veto and the citizens don't is remarkable, they're so obviously concerned only about their little fief. So the fraction of the shipping that is to Bayonne is temporarily inconvenienced dodging construction barges? Terrestrial travel is inconvenienced for construction all the time, so what?

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Was there a reason beyond added cost as to why they couldn't run it up through the bay & river? Was there an issue of a pipeline on top of the tunnels? I've never heard the specifics of this.

from Spectra website:

Q. Has Spectra Energy considered a marine route for this pipeline? If so, is it viable?

A. Spectra Energy Corp has selected a proposed alignment for the New Jersey-New York Expansion Project to transport critically needed natural gas to New Jersey and New York through the most technically feasible route available while minimizing local impacts. The proposed alignment has been determined to be the most viable option considering safety, timing perspectives and the fewest environmental impacts. It also offers the best solution for additional infrastructure to serve current and future energy needs in New Jersey.

While there are numerous benefits in locating the proposed pipeline in the Bayonne/Jersey City area due to tax revenues, local employment opportunities, the ability to serve existing markets and increased capacity for future energy needs, Spectra Energy investigated alternative routing options that would avoid Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ altogether.

One option that Spectra Energy considered was the possibility of pursuing a predominantly marine route that travels east along the Kill Van Kull River and north along the Hudson River to bypass landfall in Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ entirely. After studying the required logistics associated with constructing such an alignment, Spectra Energy has determined that this option is not viable for several construction and permitting reasons including:

A marine alternative would require the crossing of the PATH tunnels and Holland Tunnel, which are owned and operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Port Authority has indicated to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that it cannot allow pipeline construction to take place above or below these tunnels in the channel due to a threat of security to existing facilities and because any new installation might hinder future growth of the Port Authority?s infrastructure. Click here to view the letter from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
The United States Coast Guard does not favor an all marine route. According to the Coast Guard, the methods necessary to construct a Marine Alternative pipeline would significantly block the Kill Van Kull River and Hudson River shipping channels, impeding the heavy shipping and ferry traffic in the area. Click here to view the letter from the United States Coast Guard.
Additionally, from a safety perspective, the soft sediments present along segments of the Hudson River might not necessarily support the placement of rock protection over the pipeline which would be required to protect the pipe from ship anchors after construction is complete.
The Army Corps of Engineers has rejected the water option because the proposed onshore route has less adverse impact on the aquatic ecosystem than the proposed all marine route alternatives. Given this, the proposed marine route does not meet Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and is not viable. Click here to view the letter from the US Army Corps of Engineers.
Furthermore, an all water route would not allow for clean-burning natural gas service to New Jersey. By 2019, New Jersey will need an additional 853 million cubic feet a day of natural gas to sustain its growing economy and customers in New Jersey are looking for gas deliveries from the Project as early as 2013.
Finally, Spectra Energy also looked at a shorter water route in the Hudson River and it has the same issues as noted above. For a detailed assessment of the water route alternative, please review Resource Report 10 (Part 1 | Part 2).

Posted on: 2012/8/20 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

from Spectra website:

Q. Has Spectra Energy considered a marine route for this pipeline? If so, is it viable?

A. Spectra Energy Corp has selected a proposed alignment for the New Jersey-New York Expansion Project to transport critically needed natural gas to New Jersey and New York through the most technically feasible route available while minimizing local impacts. The proposed alignment has been determined to be the most viable option considering safety, timing perspectives and the fewest environmental impacts. It also offers the best solution for additional infrastructure to serve current and future energy needs in New Jersey.

While there are numerous benefits in locating the proposed pipeline in the Bayonne/Jersey City area due to tax revenues, local employment opportunities, the ability to serve existing markets and increased capacity for future energy needs, Spectra Energy investigated alternative routing options that would avoid Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ altogether.

One option that Spectra Energy considered was the possibility of pursuing a predominantly marine route that travels east along the Kill Van Kull River and north along the Hudson River to bypass landfall in Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ entirely. After studying the required logistics associated with constructing such an alignment, Spectra Energy has determined that this option is not viable for several construction and permitting reasons including:

A marine alternative would require the crossing of the PATH tunnels and Holland Tunnel, which are owned and operated by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Port Authority has indicated to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission that it cannot allow pipeline construction to take place above or below these tunnels in the channel due to a threat of security to existing facilities and because any new installation might hinder future growth of the Port Authority?s infrastructure. Click here to view the letter from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
The United States Coast Guard does not favor an all marine route. According to the Coast Guard, the methods necessary to construct a Marine Alternative pipeline would significantly block the Kill Van Kull River and Hudson River shipping channels, impeding the heavy shipping and ferry traffic in the area. Click here to view the letter from the United States Coast Guard.
Additionally, from a safety perspective, the soft sediments present along segments of the Hudson River might not necessarily support the placement of rock protection over the pipeline which would be required to protect the pipe from ship anchors after construction is complete.
The Army Corps of Engineers has rejected the water option because the proposed onshore route has less adverse impact on the aquatic ecosystem than the proposed all marine route alternatives. Given this, the proposed marine route does not meet Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and is not viable. Click here to view the letter from the US Army Corps of Engineers.
Furthermore, an all water route would not allow for clean-burning natural gas service to New Jersey. By 2019, New Jersey will need an additional 853 million cubic feet a day of natural gas to sustain its growing economy and customers in New Jersey are looking for gas deliveries from the Project as early as 2013.
Finally, Spectra Energy also looked at a shorter water route in the Hudson River and it has the same issues as noted above. For a detailed assessment of the water route alternative, please review Resource Report 10 (Part 1 | Part 2).

Posted on: 2012/8/20 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Fracking is a major part of this pipeline and anyone so naive as to think different hasn't read the documents that are open to the public, at ferc.gov. including pg 1 of the 102 pg formal filing in Dec 2010. The Marcellus Shale is the largest known gas reserve in the world. Exxon as 1 and all major oil and gas companies in the US are trying to lay claim to the MS. Con Ed will make up a small amount of gas transmitted which is why Cheapeake and Stattoil signed up as principal partners to ship MS gas overeas after LNG conversion stateside.

Read any gas analyst from Reuters on and the reports are the same. Over inflated availability of MS gas, glut of gas stateside, export is key, et nauseum.

Ive been hearing people like yourself characterize those of us looking for use of renewable, sustainable energy counter to our dependency on fossil fuels, since 1970. Over 40 years of being called "crazy-leftist" for wanting clean, safe water and air. Now there is an international realization that climate change is real and principally caused by man and then by use of fossil fuels.

If that makes me a "crazy-leftist", for wanting a stop to fracking then count me and my brethren among that order.

I admire your ideals, but personally, I think globalizing the issue hurts the battle more than it helps, it makes you look (accurately in fact) like you're fighting the whole gas industry more than simply the land route through Hudson County. Without advocating an alternative route, you lose credibility, Spectra can argue that you're against anything they would do, so why pay attention to your specific route concerns. And while I agree that exporting the gas is a flawed idea on many levels, I don't think the gas that reaches Manhattan will be exported.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
FYI, Spectra says they will NOT be disrupting the operation of the Liberty Humane Society.

They're doing underground boring. They aren't laying pipe on top of the ground, or digging up the property.

There are also no eminent domain proceedings at this time.

More info:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ergy_official_says_p.html

Spectra's spokesperson, Marylee Hanley is the Stepford-wife who prattles on about the safety of the pipeline or just plain lies. Spectra had already filed for Eminent Domain in court before you posted and before the article above was written on Aug 3rd.

"...Jersey City owns the land where the animal shelter sits, but Spectra has filed for eminent domain hearings to seize the property, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said...."

I spoke with Andy Siegel he stated for the press Spectra would impact the animals and their use of 40%+ of land would put LHS in violation of NJ State requirements for a shelter.

Join us Sept 16th to help LHS and NGP both at an art opening with music and performance by that " Crazy-leftist, anti fracking" preacher. Reverend Billy and the Stop Shopping Choir!

See below by clicking on my signature.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 18:04
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Maybe they will sue. I don't know. It seems to me that No Gas Pipeline just hijacked the pipeline issue to promote their crazy-leftist anti-fracking campaign to get eyeballs and $$$. So I don't count on them much with regard to JC. I count even less on Healy. So there.

stillinjc, FYI, NO Gas Pipeline was the first group to say back in February of 2010, when we formed, that we would have to sue FERC in federal appellate court to overturn FERC's ruling.

We told all that FERC trumps everything but federal court and congress. Not even the President can stop an interstate pipeline, as Congress passed the National Gas Act and the President appoints the commissioners so he can''t intervene.

NGP intends to sue FERC in federal appellate court as soon as we 're permitted. Unfortunately, we have to wait till FERC rules on our and the City's Request for Re-Haring before we're permitted to sue. It's the Catch-22 of this process. Spectra is permitted to continue construction during this process (the City has already asked for a stay not ruled on)in the hopes that most litigants won't sue as pipeline is being built. But we intend to do just that!

Fracking is a major part of this pipeline and anyone so naive as to think different hasn't read the documents that are open to the public, at ferc.gov. including pg 1 of the 102 pg formal filing in Dec 2010. The Marcellus Shale is the largest known gas reserve in the world. Exxon as 1 and all major oil and gas companies in the US are trying to lay claim to the MS. Con Ed will make up a small amount of gas transmitted which is why Cheapeake and Stattoil signed up as principal partners to ship MS gas overeas after LNG conversion stateside.

Read any gas analyst from Reuters on and the reports are the same. Over inflated availability of MS gas, glut of gas stateside, export is key, et nauseum.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 17:46
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI, Spectra says they will NOT be disrupting the operation of the Liberty Humane Society.

They're doing underground boring. They aren't laying pipe on top of the ground, or digging up the property.

There are also no eminent domain proceedings at this time.

More info:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ergy_official_says_p.html

Posted on: 2012/8/6 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they will sue. I don't know. It seems to me that No Gas Pipeline just hijacked the pipeline issue to promote their crazy-leftist anti-fracking campaign to get eyeballs and $$$. So I don't count on them much with regard to JC. I count even less on Healy. So there.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra is staging sections of the pipeline by Rt 440 already, on the former MOTBY property.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pipeline construction in Jersey City could force animal shelter to move or shut down

August 03, 2012, 9:15 PM
By Matthew McNab/The Jersey Journal

Officials at Hudson County's largest animal shelter are scrambling for answers after they learned this week that the planned natural gas pipeline is scheduled to literally go through its backyard.

And because of that, the Liberty Humane Society, located on Jersey City Boulevard outside Liberty State Park, may be forced to move.

Workers for Spectra Energy, the company that plans to construct a 20-mile pipeline through parts of Hudson County, were taking soil samples near LHS in preparation for the project and told staff members there that construction on their property could start in as soon as two weeks.

Jersey City has filed challenges to the rulings that allowed Spectra to have the pipeline pass through the city, but Spectra appears to be moving forward. Jersey City owns the land where the animal shelter sits, but Spectra has filed for eminent domain hearings to seize the property, city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said.

"We have been saying for more than two years now how the proposed Spectra pipeline poses a serious public safety and health risk," Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy said. "Now with one of their first site visits in Jersey City, the energy company has proven our point and shown a total lack of concern for our city and the animals living at the Liberty Humane Society."

The construction would not effect the LHS building, said Irene Borngraeber, JHS director of development and operations, but it would rip up the dog run and everything else behind the building.

"They avoided the building, but they have no problem taking the rest of the land," she said.

The destruction of the dog runs and open space for animals to roam would put LHS out of compliance with the state.

"We have no idea what's going to happen if we go out of compliance because of this," Borngraeber said.

LHS, which takes in almost 2,000 animals a year and boasts a 92 percent adoption rate, signed a 45-year lease with Jersey City in 2004. Since then it has slowly grown - and there are plans for more expansion, Borngraeber said.

If the shelter is going to be uprooted, LHS Board of Directors President Andy Siegel said, LHS wants Spectra to help them find a new location.

"Help us perform our function and find a new location," he said. "We're not getting any benefits from this pipeline, yet they're going to put these animals under duress forever because of it. They put a value on this land, but not on the animals."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... onstruction_in_jerse.html

Posted on: 2012/8/4 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(here it comes!)

( I love this line.. ?stressed the project will create 5,000 union jobs?. Wow 5,000 jobs for a project that will be finished by Nov 2013? What are they using the Obama/Biden calculation for job creation?)

Bayonne groundbreaking for Spectra Energy's natural gas pipeline is in city-owned lot downtown

Published: Friday, July 27, 2012, 3:01 AM
By Rafal Rogoza / The Jersey Journal

The controversial Spectra Energy natural gas pipeline has broken ground in Bayonne.

Work crews were busy yesterday inside a city-owned lot at Avenue A and West First Street preparing the site for "horizontal direct drilling," said Marylee Hanley, spokeswoman for the Houston-based energy company.

"We began mobilizing on July 9," said Hanley, who couldn't say when construction would be completed in Bayonne. She said the entire 20-mile gas line project, which will also snake through Jersey City and offshore Hoboken, would be completed by November 2013.

The public will be kept apprised of the construction schedule through the company's website, yesgaspipeline.org., she said.

In May, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission approved the $1.2 billion project over the objections of Jersey City and Hoboken officials who have argued that the pipeline poses a potential danger to their residents.

Bayonne officials essentially signed off on the project after Spectra changed the route of the pipeline to avoid some residential neighborhoods.

Last month, Jersey City issued a scathing, 43-page rebuttal to a federal agency's decision to approve the pipeline, with a top city attorney claiming the agency is biased toward energy companies and has ignored the city's concerns about safety along the pipeline route.

FERC is "running a rigged game," approving pipeline routes proposed by energy companies while ignoring "viable alternatives" suggested by other parties, Derek S. Fanciullo, the city's assistant corporation counsel, wrote in the petition.

If FERC declines Jersey City's request for a rehearing, the city's final chance to stop the pipeline would be an appeal to a federal circuit court. Fanciullo said the city will "litigate this as long as we can."

When the agency approved the pipeline, it said it would have only minor effects on public safety and the environment.

Spectra has repeatedly stressed that it believes the pipeline will be one of the safest in North America.

Hanley said yesterday that a traffic management plan has been worked out with Bayonne police and fire officials and stressed the project will create 5,000 union jobs.

She could not say when ground would be broken in Jersey City.

Full JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... oundbreaking_for_spe.html\

Buy the JJ..it won?t stab you in the back like Bayonne.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Federal agency that approved Spectra pipeline is running 'a rigged game,' Jersey City claims in new filing

June 22, 2012, 11:32 AM

Jersey City has issued a scathing, 43-page rebuttal to a federal agency?s decision to approve Spectra Energy?s natural-gas pipeline, with a top city attorney claiming the agency is biased toward energy companies and has ignored the city?s concerns about safety along the pipeline route.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the agency that gave the controversial pipeline its approval on May 22, is ?running a rigged game,? approving pipeline routes proposed by energy companies while ignoring ?viable alternatives? suggested by other parties, the attorney writes.

The document is the city?s official request for a rehearing in front of FERC, the first of only two options the city has to stop the pipeline now that it has federal approval. Houston-based Spectra wants to begin constructing the roughly 15 miles of new pipe, which will snake underneath Bayonne, Jersey City and offshore Hoboken, this summer.

Assistant Corporation Counsel Derek S. Fanciullo, who drafted the petition, throws a host of anti-pipeline arguments at FERC in the petition. Many of the arguments are familiar to anyone who has followed Jersey City?s voracious opposition to the $1.2 billion project, including the city?s fears that the pipeline would be a target for terrorists and that the area is too densely populated for a high-pressure, 30-inch gas pipe.

But Fanciullo makes a few points that constitute what a city official called a ?novel? legal argument against Spectra?s proposal.

He argues that FERC, a federal agency governed by five presidentially appointed commissioners, is ?entirely incapable? of providing due process to aggrieved parties because its operating budget is dependent on the fees its collects from pipelines it approves.

?When FERC makes adjudicative decisions involving the pipeline and energy companies that entirely fund its existence, the agency cannot guarantee it is a ?neutral and detached judge,? Fanciullo writes.

Fanciullo told The Jersey Journal he believes this is the first time a municipality has attempted to overturn a FERC ruling using this kind of argument.

?I think it?s a sound strategy,? he said.

If FERC declines Jersey City?s request for a rehearing, the city?s final chance to stop the pipeline would be an appeal to a federal circuit court. Fanciullo said the city will ?litigate this as long as we can.?

A FERC spokeswoman declined to comment, saying the agency doesn?t comment on pending matters.

The agency approved the pipeline last month, saying it would have minor effects on public safety and the environment. Spectra has repeatedly stressed that they believe the pipe will be one of the safest in North America, and officials there have argued the project will bring jobs and lower energy costs to the region.

?We remain committed to safely constructing this critically-needed pipeline and look forward to a timely notice to proceed,? Spectra spokeswoman Marylee Hanley said yesterday. ?We will continue to cooperate with the community and appropriate regulatory agencies throughout the construction process."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ency_that_approved_s.html

Posted on: 2012/6/23 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor says natural-gas explosion in Nyack is 'perfect example' of dangers of Spectra pipeline

June 22, 2012, 12:00 PM

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is pointing to a natural-gas explosion in Downtown Nyack, NY yesterday as yet another reason why Spectra Energy should not build a gas pipeline here in Hudson County.

According to NBC News, no one was hurt in yesterday?s Nyack explosion, which was the result of sparks hit gas in a pipe during a gas main replacement project, according to a utility spokesman.

But Healy nonetheless believes that what happened in Nyack -- a village about 40 miles north of Jersey City -- could happen here if construction of the Spectra pipeline proceeds.

?One thing we know for certain is that Jersey City is far more densely populated than Nyack, and should something like this happen here, it would be nothing short of catastrophic,? he said in a statement.

Healy said city officials will reach out to Nyack today to learn more about yesterday?s incident, which witnesses say led to flames 50 feet high.

Nyack-Piermont Patch has video of the aftermath of the explosion.

Spectra officials have stressed that they believe their pipeline will be one of the safest in North America. Approved by federal officials last month, the Spectra pipe will snake underneath Bayonne, Jersey City and offshore Hoboken.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_says_natural-gas_e.html

Posted on: 2012/6/22 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Bayonne council passes resolution backing Spectra plan for natural gas pipeline to run through city\

By Andrew Steadman/The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal

June 21, 2012, 3:03AM

The Bayonne City Council last night passed a resolution that it said would bring the city financial benefits from the natural gas pipeline that will run through the city. John Sheridan, director of government relations for Spectra Energy, which is building the pipeline that will run through parts of Bayonne, Jersey City and offshore Hoboken before heading into Manhattan, said...

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... cil_passes_resolut_1.html

Buy the JJ...a good paper.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 10:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Spectra Energy wins state approval to put gas pipeline under Liberty State Park in Jersey City

June 08, 2012, 3:00 AM

A state commission yesterday approved Spectra Energy?s proposal to run a section of the Houston energy giant?s controversial natural gas pipeline below ground in Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

Spectra Energy was seeking a 20-year lease on a nearly an acre of parkland that will house the pipe. The company, which received final federal approval for the pipeline on May 21, plans to pay the state about $2.3 million over the course of the lease.

Jersey City and Hoboken officials have been vocal in their opposition to the pipeline, which would run for about 15 miles underneath Bayonne, Jersey City and offshore Hoboken before heading into Manhattan.

But the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission last month said the pipe would have limited impact on the environment and public safety.

State Sen. Bob Smith of Middlesex and Somerset counties was the lone ?no? vote. Smith told The Jersey Journal he thinks leases like the one approved yesterday leave New Jersey residents ?shortchanged.?

?They?re doing a flat fee of 15 cents a square foot,? he said. ?Well, the companies that are involved are making hundreds of millions of dollars.?

Spectra?s payments to the state include about $862,000 for the 20-year lease of the roughly 1 acre that will house the pipe, about $66,000 for use of temporary work space as the company installs the pipe and an additional $1.4 million lump sum to compensate for the ?ecological, environmental and recreational impact? of the work.

Marylee Hanley, a Spectra spokeswoman, has said that the pipeline will create jobs and bring down energy costs in the area. Speaking at a hearing on the Liberty State Park proposal in April, she said the pipe would not cause any disruption to the park once it?s installed.

?The pipe is buried underneath the ground,? Hanley said.

Spectra plans to begin construction on the pipeline this summer.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ergy_wins_state_appr.html

Posted on: 2012/6/9 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
HELP US SUE FERC TO STOP SPECTRA PIPELINE! IT AIN'T OVER BABY! BECOME A MEMBER!!

Tomorrow, Sunday, June 3rd from 1 to 5 pm, NO Gas Pipeline will be setting up tent and table at Exchange Place and Montgomery by noon. Any volunteers who can help us both with new membership(need members to sue FERC!) and getting "Ban Fracking Bill in NJ" petitions signed would be appreciated. Any time you have. Thanks.

Bike JC's Third Annual Jersey City Ward Tour and Festival Sunday, June 3rd.

Bicycle advocacy group Bike JC is hosting its third annual tour traveling through each of Jersey City's six wards THIS Sunday, June 3rd.

The 16-mile group bike ride starts and finishes at Exchange Place where a festival featuring homemade goods from Not Yo Mama's Craft Fair, live music, a nonprofit showcase, food and beer will be stationed from 1 pm to 5 pm. Riders and non-riders are welcome to the event.

The tour kicks off at 11 am. Riders can register online for free or for a suggested donation of $5 at this link - Ward Tour

Riders must be age 10 or older and wear helmets to participate.

For more information, visit bikejc.org.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 19:25
Resized Image

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 26 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!