Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: String of Break-Ins : Enos Jones/Hamilton Park Area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
The other day the FedEx guy buzzed my apartment and asked me to buzz him in so he could leave a package in the vestibule of the building. I said, "I'll come down." When I got there, sure enough, it was actually the FedEx guy with an actual package. He said I should have just buzzed him in, and I told him that I didn't want to let in anyone because of the danger of break ins. It's too bad the delivery companies don't have a policy that doesn't allow them to be buzzed in, sight unseen. It would help protect customers.

Delivery guys have strict schedules - they want to get in and out as soon as possible.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
The other day the FedEx guy buzzed my apartment and asked me to buzz him in so he could leave a package in the vestibule of the building. I said, "I'll come down." When I got there, sure enough, it was actually the FedEx guy with an actual package. He said I should have just buzzed him in, and I told him that I didn't want to let in anyone because of the danger of break ins. It's too bad the delivery companies don't have a policy that doesn't allow them to be buzzed in, sight unseen. It would help protect customers.

Thank You. You certainly did the right thing.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thx for heads up.

Also be aware of people who dress like movers. Work boots, jeans, white t-shirts. We were broken in to a few years back and I walked in on it. The two guys were dressed as movers - their lookout was a women who paced across the street smoking.

I recently saw a dude who looked like that on a neighbors stoop who never has anyone sitting on his stoop (too private to be desirable for strangers) fake talking in to his phone (don't ask how I know, I watched for way too long while people walked by). Always worth a call to the non-emergency line.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Be aware in Harsimus Cove area. I live on 2nd Street in an apt building and it looks like someone has tried to jimmy open our front door with a screwdriver.

Have also found menus wedged in the front door very strangely at eye level, which I have heard is a way for thieves to mark and track activity in your building. If a menu stays in the door for several hours, that means no one is home and your place is now a prime target for criminals.

Will be calling JCPD today to see if they can increase patrols on our street. But be aware folks.

If you SEE something Say something.

FG

Posted on: 2012/7/31 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Be aware in Harsimus Cove area. I live on 2nd Street in an apt building and it looks like someone has tried to jimmy open our front door with a screwdriver.

Have also found menus wedged in the front door very strangely at eye level, which I have heard is a way for thieves to mark and track activity in your building. If a menu stays in the door for several hours, that means no one is home and your place is now a prime target for criminals.

Will be calling JCPD today to see if they can increase patrols on our street. But be aware folks.

If you SEE something Say something.

FG

Posted on: 2012/7/31 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The suspects in the recent break-ins are 2 dark-skinned African-American guys in an older gold colored Toyota Camry.
Today, my neighbor who lives around the corner on Pavonia (between W. Hamilton and Coles), had a strange guy ring his doorbell. The guy claimed to be looking for the home of someone he knew. The story sounded fishy so as the guy left my neighbor took his plate number and called the cops. They responded quickly and ran the plates. The car belonged to a woman in Hoboken who has a warrant for shoplifting. The car was an older but neat compact sedan that was a metallic aquamarine blue color. I'll update on the actual model after I talk with my neighbor. The plate number was RWG-54V. Seems probable that the guy and his passenger were looking for targets of opportunity. The suspect was either white or hispanic with a scruffy beard.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 23:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Landlord has def been kind of a douche about it. It's been close to 4 weeks and his "contractor" hasn't even come to make the requested modifications to my door. I've since invested in renter's insurance and an alarm system. Just trying to make it to the end of my lease then I'm out of here.

Whose the landlord and/or building management?

Cause I want to stay as far away as #OOPS#ing possible from that slumlord.

I'm pretty sure he's in violation of a number of tennants rights laws.

And like the guy said above your insurance will never cover you for "pending" modifications.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
Quote:

downtown wrote:

Sounds just like this burglary last June.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=271566#forumpost271566

Thank you for sharing that link. The video is no longer available but based on the stills I'm almost certain that he is leaving my building. I'm going to print out the stills and have the detective working on it take a look at them. I haven't seen the video from my burglary (I'm new and figured I wasn't going to recognize anyone) but now I'm really curious to take a look at the person. Also, really concerned this happened last year as well.

Get used to it. That's my stuff under that guys arm. It was the 3rd or 4th robbery in that building in the 5 years I lived there.

In every case, the thief was able to get through the locked front door.

Best part was the landlords reaction "Weird. When people get robbed here, its usually when they are moving in or out."

USUALLY?!

Landlord has def been kind of a douche about it. It's been close to 4 weeks and his "contractor" hasn't even come to make the requested modifications to my door. I've since invested in renter's insurance and an alarm system. Just trying to make it to the end of my lease then I'm out of here.

You better hope that your insurance company honors your policy with that pending modification.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 14:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I hope police presence doesn't simply mean the police car I've seen circling Hamilton Park lately. I hope there really are police offices in plain clothes. It would be nice to see uniformed cops walking around once in a while. I've only ever seen them get out of their cars to watch the basketball games.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hi StefanS....I don't know if you want to screw ...err start something with your landlord. But hey if it is for your safety what the heck.

If you didn?t know?.below is the JC website that may assist you. Also check out that question from the site at the bottom.

Goodluck.

Division of Tenant Landlord Relations

30 Montgomery Street
Room 415
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Tel: (201) 547-4714
Fax: (201) 547-5803

360 Martin Luther King Drive (Satellite Office)
(Office is inside Extra Supermarkets)
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Tel: (201) 200-0677
Fax: (201) 333-8958

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=1182

Question :

My landlord refuses to make repairs. What can I do?

Answer:

Call the Division of Housing Code Enforcement at (201) 547-4825 to schedule an apartment inspection or enter a service request.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 2:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/14 16:09
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eggzbenedict wrote:
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
Quote:

downtown wrote:

Thank you for sharing that link. The video is no longer available but based on the stills I'm almost certain that he is leaving my building. I'm going to print out the stills and have the detective working on it take a look at them. I haven't seen the video from my burglary (I'm new and figured I wasn't going to recognize anyone) but now I'm really curious to take a look at the person. Also, really concerned this happened last year as well.

Get used to it. That's my stuff under that guys arm. It was the 3rd or 4th robbery in that building in the 5 years I lived there.

Best part was the landlords reaction "Weird. When people get robbed here, its usually when they are moving in or out."

USUALLY?!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Today I was walking my dog across 9th Street at Jersey Ave and saw a guy coming the other way who struck me as suspicious. He was walking very fast, sweaty and carrying an over-stuffed Target bag. Mind you he could have been just a dude in a hurry but it seemed like he was very serious and in a hurry. I doubled back and followed him keeping back about a block or more distance. While on Pavonia heading west he glanced back and then stopped and was looking my way so I played nonchalant and he kept going. I walked over to a couple of cops that were near the Eastside of HP and asked if they had had any calls about smash and grabs etc. They said no but I told them what I saw. They guessed he may have shoplifted something. In any case it was an awkward situation. How do you tell the cops you saw a black dude with a bag and they should stop him because he may have stolen something? I had only a hunch and that was all.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 23:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 4:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
Quote:

downtown wrote:

USUALLY?!

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Let's let others know about this, dead tree style.

Here's a .pdf flyer you can print and post for your neighbors to see:

Burglar Flyer

I drafted it in a hurry, so if anyone wants to improve it, let me know and I'll send you the file.

Maybe we can catch these burglars yet.

Edit:Improved flyer's readability, added non-emergency phone #

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/12 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
Car was broken into near Van Vorst Park.The crook used something to bend the metal door frame in many places and shatter the glass. Stole the GPS, Garmin Nuvi. Cops said that they even look for circles on the glass to indicate that there is a GPS in the car. Total disregard for other people's property, and walking away with a gain. Do the cops even catch those guys? They don't fingerprint or try to gather evidence, just file report, from what I know. I hope there are cops out there who are really investigating and trying to catch the criminals. Otherwise, the robbers are having a great time looting, leaving it up to the community to do something. I know we live in the city and have to be watchful and protect ourselves, but I am hoping that we can get help from our own tax-supported police.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 2:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(Sorry to hear about peoples losses on this thread, it sucks. ..and I don?t have anything against the people in the East but WTH?)

Wow what a nice notice from the JCPD to the people of the East District. Gee I don?t recall getting one over in my district where crime is out of control..has been for years. Will we be getting that extra manpower with plain clothes units and detectives? (ahh wait they must already be there I just can?t see them because they are plain clothes..duh on me.)

Below is JCPD May 2012 COMPSTAT report?from www.njjcpd.org ....you people in the East are lucky.

http://www.njjcpd.org/sites/default/files/May2012.pdf

ceo3west wrote: Quote:

Buglaries and Thefts notice from East District Police

Please read and distribute the below and attached to all community members, neighbors, family and friends.

As stated at the last East District Captain?s Meeting on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 the East District is unfortunately noticing an increase in burglary and theft to residences. The East District monitors all crimes closely and an increase in manpower is assigned to areas where crime(s) are at an increase. Additionally, we have assigned plain clothes units and detectives to monitor the areas and incidents.

It is imperative that if anyone witnesses anything suspicious to call it in immediately. Unfortunately, we do not have witnesses coming forward at this time. If there are witnesses, please advise them to respond to the East Districts to speak with a Detective(s).

Please secure all homes, apartments, and units prior to exiting. Make sure windows and doors are secured. Activate all alarm systems. Make sure the front door is always locked. Always have someone home when work is being conducted inside the home. Make sure you have a sturdy, strong, and solid door and make sure you have a dead bolt that is properly installed into the frame. Additionally, please leave lights on (on the exterior and interior), so that it appears as if someone is home.

We will continue to monitor and again, urge anyone who sees anything suspicious to call it in immediately.

P.O. Dina Reilly
Jersey City Police Department
East District Community Relations Officer
207 7th St.
201-547-4370
policeeast@ njjcps.org

Posted on: 2012/7/12 1:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downtown wrote:

Posted on: 2012/7/12 0:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/13 1:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
The guy caught on camera burglarizing my place a few weeks ago definitely did not stand out as much as I'd hope. He was able to walk out of the building in broad daylight holding a bag full of electronics and a 42" television and no one thought twice.

PathH8Tr, what you mention about the menus is interesting. My building tends to get bombarded with those things. I'm going to pay closer attention to who I see dropping those off.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 23:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Buglaries and Thefts notice from East District Police

Please read and distribute the below and attached to all community members, neighbors, family and friends.

As stated at the last East District Captain?s Meeting on Tuesday, June 26, 2012 the East District is unfortunately noticing an increase in burglary and theft to residences. The East District monitors all crimes closely and an increase in manpower is assigned to areas where crime(s) are at an increase. Additionally, we have assigned plain clothes units and detectives to monitor the areas and incidents.

It is imperative that if anyone witnesses anything suspicious to call it in immediately. Unfortunately, we do not have witnesses coming forward at this time. If there are witnesses, please advise them to respond to the East Districts to speak with a Detective(s).

Please secure all homes, apartments, and units prior to exiting. Make sure windows and doors are secured. Activate all alarm systems. Make sure the front door is always locked. Always have someone home when work is being conducted inside the home. Make sure you have a sturdy, strong, and solid door and make sure you have a dead bolt that is properly installed into the frame. Additionally, please leave lights on (on the exterior and interior), so that it appears as if someone is home.

We will continue to monitor and again, urge anyone who sees anything suspicious to call it in immediately.

P.O. Dina Reilly
Jersey City Police Department
East District Community Relations Officer
207 7th St.
201-547-4370
policeeast@ njjcps.org

Posted on: 2012/7/11 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
my building got hit last year (twice) by guy(s) who had some locksmithing experience. They cut around the top of the deadbolts, accessing the pin, and pulled the deadbolt back.

They ignored the alarm, going after files and laptops. TV's, game systems, etc. were not touched. Seems to be a focus on identity theft.

I installed segal style locks which make their method of entry much more difficult. Though I have a problem of my tenants not using them.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

StefanS wrote:
The guy caught on camera burglarizing my place a few weeks ago definitely did not stand out as much as I'd hope. He was able to walk out of the building in broad daylight holding a bag full of electronics and a 42" television and no one thought twice.

PathH8Tr, what you mention about the menus is interesting. My building tends to get bombarded with those things. I'm going to pay closer attention to who I see dropping those off.

Description of perp Please?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 21:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/11 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I live near there and one thing I've noticed differently lately is the delivery menu's being lodged in to the front doors (rather than on front doormat, or as usual, they don't make it near the door and on the steps, stuck in a gate etc.). I've seen this on different days, including my door yesterday. I was told by a police officer last year burglars will do this (or use other items in the way of someone entering/exiting) to see if anyone has entered the premises recently.

good tip. when I see this on my neighbors' buildings, I'm going to remove them.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I live near there and one thing I've noticed differently lately is the delivery menu's being lodged in to the front doors (rather than on front doormat, or as usual, they don't make it near the door and on the steps, stuck in a gate etc.). I've seen this on different days, including my door yesterday. I was told by a police officer last year burglars will do this (or use other items in the way of someone entering/exiting) to see if anyone has entered the premises recently.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
That didn't quite come out the way I wanted. It sounds bad, but we have a very neighborhoody neighborhood and have a sense of who's a stranger and who isn't.

Is there some profiling involved? Nix the profiling and try common sense, that's all I'm asking.

And for the idiots who will just hit the door open buzzer every time someone buzzes: STOP IT!

Actually Val I like the way it came out but it wouldn't work today because everybody is wearing a costume, face value isn't worth a dime. You really can't tell who the criminal is and isn't. Everyone is suspect that is a stranger just as you were taught when you were little.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
That didn't quite come out the way I wanted. It sounds bad, but we have a very neighborhoody neighborhood and have a sense of who's a stranger and who isn't.

Is there some profiling involved? Nix the profiling and try common sense, that's all I'm asking.

And for the idiots who will just hit the door open buzzer every time someone buzzes: STOP IT!

Posted on: 2012/7/11 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
There was another break in during the past few days at 347 7th St.
If you see anything strange going on, or people who don't look like they belong, please call the cops.

Kind of like the stop & frisk routine in Nyc.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
There was another break in during the past few days at 347 7th St.
If you see anything strange going on, or people who don't look like they belong, please call the cops. The blocks between Monmounth and division can be very quiet during the day. If you feel funny calling 911, call the non emergency number 201-547-5477.

The cops will never be able to catch these people without help from the neighbors.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 13:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
I never buzz people in.

I would hope my neighbors would do the same.

Although, I'd be worried though what these guys might do if someone went to check who they actually were prior to buzzing them in.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 18:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017