Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Finally some more bike racks at Grove St.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/28 17:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I'm very thankful, but now the bike racks at Exchange Place are blocked off. What's going on there?

I would call the Division of Planning to find out. The HDSID does not extend to Exchange Place, so I'm unsure why the racks there are being blocked.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

nikol wrote:
The organizations involved in the purchasing of the bike racks at the Plaza are the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District, Grove Pointe Management and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency. The HDSID is also currently working on getting bike racks installed throughout the District as well, but that is still in the works.

This is like some lame blonde joke !

How many organizations does it take to install a bike rack ?

As annoying as it is, because City Planning was not involved in the placement of the racks, they too are getting involved to figure out better locations for the racks. It's unfortunate, but the more organizations that get involved, especially with something like this that requires some planning to execute, the better. Since Planning wasn't involved from the get go, now the racks are likely to be relocated else where in the plaza.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
the racks were sorely needed and more at Grove St. PATH and elsewhere. However the location of the racks is devoid of any common sense, obstructing use of the plaza, pedestrian flow and accessing the PATH and likely without any legal authority or approvals within the redevelopment plan that created the plaza.

so, the answer is not enough were involved or the right people/organizations were not involved. ie. the neighboring community or city planning (damn, I have not said that in a while.)

The racks are likely to be moved elsewhere in the plaza as City Planning has gotten involved as well as the Harsimus Cove NA. In the mean time, at least they are there to save some of those trees that everyone insists on tying their bikes to.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the racks were sorely needed and more at Grove St. PATH and elsewhere. However the location of the racks is devoid of any common sense, obstructing use of the plaza, pedestrian flow and accessing the PATH and likely without any legal authority or approvals within the redevelopment plan that created the plaza.

so, the answer is not enough were involved or the right people/organizations were not involved. ie. the neighboring community or city planning (damn, I have not said that in a while.)

Posted on: 2012/5/23 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikol wrote:
The organizations involved in the purchasing of the bike racks at the Plaza are the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District, Grove Pointe Management and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency. The HDSID is also currently working on getting bike racks installed throughout the District as well, but that is still in the works.

This is like some lame blonde joke !

How many organizations does it take to install a bike rack ?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 0:23
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm very thankful, but now the bike racks at Exchange Place are blocked off. What's going on there?

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/22 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I was very surprised and happy about this. I was able to roll up to a new empty rack this whole week. Before that I was locking my bike on top of an obviously abandoned bike at one of the racks that nobody else wanted to use, but it was a little tricky.

And I've been locking my bike day in day out all day for ten hours while I go to work with no problems, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about theft. Just make sure you get a good u-lock. I have the Kryptonite mini, and I use a cable to lock both my wheels and my seat as well.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
There IS bike storage at Grove Pointe. I don't think people are using the racks out there at Grove Street as their personal storage as you wrote. 1) risk of theft 2) I see people with bikes going in and out of the building all the time.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
There were actually 6 racks added. Thanks at least in part to HDSID and Fulop's office. That makes for plenty of room now. And if they actually remove the abandoned bikes like they're promising to do, there will be even more room. Yet it amazes me that people still hitch their bikes to trees and the fence. I saw 2 people wearing bazillion dollar bike outfits doing that this morning, hitching up to a tree, with plenty of spots on racks available.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SwitchboardGirl wrote:
I always thought taking my bike to Grove St and locking it up on the bike racks there before I get on the PATH but am a bit worried about theft (seeing I'd be leaving it from morning until afternoon). Any theft issues over there? Obviously I use a good Kryponite lock...

If you have anything quick release (wheels/ seats) make sure you lock them up. My wife had her seat stolen a few weeks ago. Major bummer all around.

Other than than that I always try to park next to a move valuable bike. I want to give any potential thieves a better target than my bike.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 17:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I always thought taking my bike to Grove St and locking it up on the bike racks there before I get on the PATH but am a bit worried about theft (seeing I'd be leaving it from morning until afternoon). Any theft issues over there? Obviously I use a good Kryponite lock...

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Saw they recently added about 5 new wave style bike racks at the Grove St. PATH station. It was nice to have some room to park my bike yesterday; even with all the Grove Pointe residents using the racks as their personal bike storage area.

With all the money the residents are spending at GP you would think they would have bike storage there. Why don't they leave it in their apartments ? I would like to see as many bike racks and parking meters in front of businesses. It's nice to have bike racks at transportation centers but how about near the stores as well.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Finally some more bike racks at Grove St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Saw they recently added about 5 new wave style bike racks at the Grove St. PATH station. It was nice to have some room to park my bike yesterday; even with all the Grove Pointe residents using the racks as their personal bike storage area.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 10:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017