Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lawsuit against police for use of excessive force settled for $185,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
which is to say...how much did the city spend fighting gattas since 2005? add that to how much they ended up settling for.

You have these roided up jersey shore cops who see everyone in the city as an enemy and they know they can get away with almost anything.

53+ JC cops caught getting steroids from a mobbed up pharmacy in brooklyn and no consequences.

There is another outstanding lawsuit against the Jersey City police for a citizen who called 911 because his mentally ill 65 yr old wife was acting suicidal. He called EMS and the police arrived first...arrested and roughed up the husband then murdered the 65 yr old woman.

Unfortunately the city council unanimously is choosing to spend the money to fight that suit when they should man up and settle with the husband...he's been through enough already

Posted on: 2012/5/22 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
They didnt just settle...the incident happened in 2005...for what happened to this man he had to wait 7 years and much of that settlement money will be eaten up by legal costs and medical bills.

My lawsuit against the police for a similar incident...calling 911 and then the police attacking me....cost the city $800,000 + to fight when they could have settled for a fraction of that amount.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Lawsuit against police for use of excessive force settled for $185,000
May 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
"I think it's a fair and just settlement given all the circumstances," said John Coyle, Gattas' attorney.
The city, meanwhile, says it is settling with Gattas to end the legal battle.
"In light of the continued cost of litigation and the risk of exposure, it is prudent for the city to settle in this amount," said Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ainst_police_for_use.html

So this is how the city maintains their budget just settle. I need a buck too teach me Gattas.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 14:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

May 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A former Jersey City man who accused a police officer of excessive force in 2005 is set to receive $185,000 in a legal settlement that the City Council is scheduled to approve this week.

Samy Gattas sued the city, the Police Department, Police Chief Tom Comey, and several officers in federal court, accusing them of violating his civil rights during a 2005 incident in which he was handcuffed and charged with a disorderly persons offense after a verbal dispute with a police officer.

"I think it's a fair and just settlement given all the circumstances," said John Coyle, Gattas' attorney.

The city, meanwhile, says it is settling with Gattas to end the legal battle.

"In light of the continued cost of litigation and the risk of exposure, it is prudent for the city to settle in this amount," said Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis.

According to Gattas' lawsuit, he complained to the police on Sept. 10, 2005, about a neighbor, and when Officer Michael Gonzalez arrived on the scene, Gonzalez and Gattas began bickering.

Gonzalez ordered Gattas to move his cars from his driveway, and when Gattas asked why, the officer ordered him to show his motor vehicle documents, according to the suit.

The dispute escalated after Gattas asked why he had to show the officer any documents, according to the suit. Gonzalez soon handcuffed him and "pushed him into the police car," the suit alleges.

The disorderly persons charge against Gattas was later dropped.

"I felt abused and discriminated against, and like I had no rights," Gattas told The Jersey Journal in 2007 when he filed the suit.

Gattas, who now lives in Essex County, claims that he underwent "multiple surgical procedures for the injuries" he sustained during the arrest, according to the resolution set for the council's approval.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ainst_police_for_use.html

Posted on: 2012/5/21 14:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017