Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
79 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: should Jersey City create and implement on-street bicycle lanes?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
feelngood. if I had walked my bike in the bike lane I would have pissed off anyone riding in the bike lanes. Basically it's a lose lose situation for me at this point. But thanks for taking the argument sexist.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 0:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Mdips, u do realize if everyone's nervous wife decided to cycle on the pavement it would be quite a mss, u could have walked your bike on the street. Considerations of over entitlement methinks. Flogging so underrated!!

Posted on: 2012/5/20 23:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
When is someone/anyone going to stop the absolute buffoon cyclists who chose to cycle on the pavements, wrong direction on one way street and generally mixing sidewalk, street and f/(&ed up directional cycling
This does not endear them to pedestrians nor assist cyclists getting any respect from motorists.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I was walking behind you guys, and you weren't going so slowly that I overtook you on foot. I agree you weren't riding recklessly, but that was a particularly busy/crowded stretch of sidewalk from Columbus to Montgomery (the key part of the word "sidewalk" being "walk". ) South of Montgomery it wouldn't have been such an issue. And if you felt threatened by my comments, I apologize. I can't believe anyone would take the "flogging" seriously or literally - it's was an expression of my frustration. I can totally see this administration dismissing the notion of bike lanes as a "yuppie luxury" (I can just hear Healy or one of his cronies now: "We gave the yuppies some bike lanes downtown, but they still ride on the sidewalk.") Anyway, it sounds like we both want the same thing:- a non-carbon way of getting around. So, peace. And if anyone should be flogged, it should the drivers who double-park, park in crosswalks and ignore pedestrians who have the right-of-way in crosswalks.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Then, please, don't take to the internet to anonymously wish harm upon my wife and I. My name is Mike, I live on Morris in Paulus Hook and I am out in JC all week with my 2 dogs, on my bike downtown or up in the heights. If I'm behaving in any way that is so much of a detriment to your existence in this beautiful city that you wish you could flog me, please feel free to stop me and let me know. I'm always up for a discussion on how to improve our city, because I for certain am not jaded. Don't take to JClist to accuse and threaten without context.

And the double parking is still rampant, especially during weekday business hours. When I'm by myself I always ride in the streets but my wife isn't quite as comfortable on the busier streets because she gets nervous driving that close to the cars. At the speed we were moving we were quite safe and causing no harm. If we got off our bikes and walked we would have completely blocked the sidewalks.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
So it's a beautiful sunny day, the biking lane (as always) has double parked cars sprinkled throughout and I don't want my entitled wife having to swerve into traffic around them. As we are casually riding on the sidewalk at a pace slower than the pedestrians so that we can check out the restaurants, the woman in front of us snidely tells us that there is a bike lane to which I responded that we were riding slower than her and looking for somewhere to get a drink. Obviously a floggable offense.

Then, please, just walk your bikes on the sidewalk. Kind of hard to check out a restaurant menu astride a bike, no? I'm afraid that after all the trouble of putting 'em in, the city is just going to take away the bike lanes in the end, argue no one is using them and then refuse to entertain the idea of additional bike lanes anywhere else in the city. I make a point of riding the lanes since they went in as often as I can, even during the weekday rush hours. Maybe it's my imagination, but the double-parking doesn't seem as bad as before. It's not perfect, but even with double-parking, you shouldn't have to swerve abruptly into traffic. At that section of Grove, the traffic is slow enough that you can start easing your way to the left well before you come upon the double-parked cars - I also signal with my hand, so cars behind me know what I'm doing.

People in bicycle advocacy will tell you there's a backlash brewing against cyclists because of a few bad apples - namely aggressive messengers and reckless food delivery guys who ride on the sidewalk and against the flow of traffic, creating hazards for both drivers and pedestrians. Perhaps that's not you and your wife, but it hardly helps.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 22:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So it's a beautiful sunny day, the biking lane (as always) has double parked cars sprinkled throughout and I don't want my entitled wife having to swerve into traffic around them. As we are casually riding on the sidewalk at a pace slower than the pedestrians so that we can check out the restaurants, the woman in front of us snidely tells us that there is a bike lane to which I responded that we were riding slower than her and looking for somewhere to get a drink. Obviously a floggable offense.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon. The sidewalk on the west side of Grove Street is particularly busy with pedestrians: parents pushing strollers, people walking dogs, people doing their shopping as well as people dining outdoors at Ibby's, Marco & Pepe, the Merchant and More. So what does this 20-something, entitled-looking couple do? Why, ride their bikes on the sidewalk, of course! Someone even helpfully pointed out the bike lane to them, but they pretended not to hear. One of the few instances when I wish the medieval practice of flogging people in the town square still existed...

In a similar vein, I've been nearly clipped a couple of times by restaurant delivery guys riding on the sidewalk while yakking on the phone here in JC. Just last week, there was a delivery guy on the sidewalk along Grove on a motorized bicycle. If the cops don't start busting these guys, it's going to get as bad as NYC.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Some suggestions for cyclists regarding the test bike lane, and they are just my suggestions:

1. Ride that sucker. Ride it, and ride it some more. We need drivers, other cyclists, pedestrians, police, and the businesses and residents along the lane to realize that it's there and grasp what it's there for thoroughly.

2. Be safe. If anyone is hoping to use this lane to "prove" that cycling is unsafe, let's not let them do it. Be twice as careful as you would be anywhere else. Expect a few people to open doors or pull in or out suddenly. Don't put the slightest scratch or drop of grease on their cars.

3. If someone is double parked in the lane, and you are feeling particularly diplomatic, maybe ask them VERY nicely to move, pointing out the new lane. But if you are gonna get steamed or wise off, just let it go. This is brand new for JC; some people probably genuinely won't realize it's there. Benefit of the doubt. We are the away mission to the planet Car; let's set phasers on diplomacy.

4. Maybe stop and patronize a business along the bike lane -- shouldn't be that hard since there are lots of good restaurants etc., and places where you can eat outside with your bike securely in your view at all times. More goodwill for us!

Posted on: 2012/5/1 21:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
I have a question. Are cyclists supposed to obey the traffic lights? I saw two go through a red light on Grove and Montgomery and they had to swerve to miss a car entering the intersection on a green light, almost causing an accident.

Yes, they are. I think you know the answer to that. In manhattan they sometimes give out tickets for it. But, in the same fashion that pedestrians jaywalk all the time, it's sort of a testament to how traffic lights only exist because of cars, and don't really take into consideration other modes of movement...however this is a whole different issue.

(disclaimer: I don't ride my bike through red lights for my own safety, I am just trying to explain why many non-motorists do it).

Posted on: 2012/5/1 13:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
I have a question. Are cyclists supposed to obey the traffic lights? I saw two go through a red light on Grove and Montgomery and they had to swerve to miss a car entering the intersection on a green light, almost causing an accident.

Yes, they are. I think you know the answer to that. In manhattan they sometimes give out tickets for it. But, in the same fashion that pedestrians jaywalk all the time, it's sort of a testament to how traffic lights only exist because of cars, and don't really take into consideration other modes of movement...however this is a whole different issue.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/1 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Make no mistake folks this is simply Jennifer Morrill's (Healy's Press Secretary) way of making him look green and pro-cycling as the mayoral race starts to pick up steam. Healy has done zip, zero, nada for cyclists during his 8 years as mayor.
This short, pathethic bike lane is comical.

And it's interesting that they put it in front of city hall so it can be under the watchful eye of the powers that be. Christopher Columbus Drive would have been the perfect spot.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Make no mistake folks this is simply Jennifer Morrill's (Healy's Press Secretary) way of making him look green and pro-cycling as the mayoral race starts to pick up steam. Healy has done zip, zero, nada for cyclists during his 8 years as mayor.

This short, pathethic bike lane is comical.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:
Hah thanks. Every time I walk down the street though I am seeing cars double parked in the lane though as previously mentioned. Bike lane might as well not be there.

Well if there is an accident with double parked cars in the area those car owners will be held liable and be included in the police accident report.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 8:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Hah thanks. Every time I walk down the street though I am seeing cars double parked in the lane though as previously mentioned. Bike lane might as well not be there.

Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
[quote]
geniusofthecrowd wrote:
Stencils were going down this morning on Grove st.
Nice avitar.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 2:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City kicks off 'green week' by opening bike lane on Grove Street

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy kicked off Green Week, part of the city's "Project 365" campaign, at City Hall this morning with a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil a new bike lane.
The pilot bike path, on Grove Street from Christopher Columbus Drive to Grand Street, will be open throughout the month of May. Today, the first cyclists tried out the new lane.
If the bike lane proves to be successful, lanes may be opened throughout the city to promote sustainability and alternate means of transportation year-round.
"We believe it makes our city a little more environmentally friendly," said the mayor.
Jersey City was named one of the greenest cities in the U.S. recently, and was one of the finalists for the 2012 Siemens Sustainable Community Award. Sixty percent of residents take alternate means of transportation, like walking or mass transit and now they will be able to bike safely, at least through a small stretch of Jersey City.
The city is also partnering with Bike JC and the Hudson Transportation Mangagment Association on an education campaign that to promote safety for drivers and cyclists.Resized Image

"small stretch" indeed. it's like 2 minutes of riding in this bike lane. what happens at the end of May? are they going to keep it? expand it? it will be sad if they take it away after only a month. i hope this is more than just posturing. i appreciate the bike lane for what it represents but there needs to be more of them in order for it to make sense. oh well, one bike lane is better than none!

Posted on: 2012/5/1 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City kicks off 'green week' by opening bike lane on Grove Street

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy kicked off Green Week, part of the city's "Project 365" campaign, at City Hall this morning with a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil a new bike lane.
The pilot bike path, on Grove Street from Christopher Columbus Drive to Grand Street, will be open throughout the month of May. Today, the first cyclists tried out the new lane.
If the bike lane proves to be successful, lanes may be opened throughout the city to promote sustainability and alternate means of transportation year-round.
"We believe it makes our city a little more environmentally friendly," said the mayor.
Jersey City was named one of the greenest cities in the U.S. recently, and was one of the finalists for the 2012 Siemens Sustainable Community Award. Sixty percent of residents take alternate means of transportation, like walking or mass transit and now they will be able to bike safely, at least through a small stretch of Jersey City.
The city is also partnering with Bike JC and the Hudson Transportation Mangagment Association on an education campaign that to promote safety for drivers and cyclists.Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/30 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Chief Comet announced that it is legal to walk (not ride) your bicycle over any car parked in the bike lanes, except for police cars. Those are usually parked in front of the hydrant anyway. I'm excited to see if anyone is going to try it out.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 2:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Hoboken has started the process and announced they are expanding bike lanes to more streets. More bike racks at the PATH too. http://hoboken411.com

Posted on: 2012/4/30 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for putting a temporary lane on Grove. Is it an experiment? If so, what does anyone hope to learn? The lanes are useless between Newark and Montgomery during the day because of the double parking. Nothing has changed in that regard. I'm all for bike lanes and educating the public, drivers and bikers included, but this seems like a pointless exercise.

I would like to know after the 30 day trial period how the determiniation will be made, and who will be involved in making that monumental decision on whether the lanes stay or go.

Posted on: 2012/4/30 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure I understand the rationale for putting a temporary lane on Grove. Is it an experiment? If so, what does anyone hope to learn? The lanes are useless between Newark and Montgomery during the day because of the double parking. Nothing has changed in that regard. I'm all for bike lanes and educating the public, drivers and bikers included, but this seems like a pointless exercise.

Posted on: 2012/4/29 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Heights, thanks for the info. I was not aware of it.

Posted on: 2012/4/27 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
Great -- looks like the bike lanes go straight through the double parking area.

Any chance they'll actually enforce no double parking now?

Its self enforcing. When a bicyclist runs into the back of your bumper you know to move your car.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
JC Independent article on the new test bike lane:

Article

Posted on: 2012/4/26 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:

Resized Image

You beat me to it. I took that pic too.
Nice avitar.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Great -- looks like the bike lanes go straight through the double parking area.

Any chance they'll actually enforce no double parking now?

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
I work in the city and I would like to ride my bike to work. Understandably, bikes are not allowed in PATH during peak hours. I wish there was a bike path between Jersey and midtown/downtown.

Folding bikes are allowed at all times on the PATH train.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 11:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
I work in the city and I would like to ride my bike to work. Understandably, bikes are not allowed in PATH during peak hours. I wish there was a bike path between Jersey and midtown/downtown.

Me too! I wish with all my heart they could build a bike/ped bridge connecting JC with manhattan. I just moved here from Brooklyn where I used to ride my bike to work every single day and I would actually go months without taking the subway. It's the one thing I have had to give up that makes me sad, but I love JC so far except for the not being able to ride my bike thing. I really miss the exercise and how fast it was. Right now I ride my bike to the Path but have to get creative with the locking situation since the racks fill up so fast. Adding more bike racks might not alleviate the problem, the real issue is that people can't get their bikes into manhattan so they will just keep piling up at the station...

a pipe dream, probably, but a bike/ped bridge would be amazing, or some type of bike tunnel, i don't know...

Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:27

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017