Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City mayor wants police chief formally named police director as well
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Jersey City City Council rejects move to appoint police chief as police director

Published: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 10:59 PM Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 12:14 AM

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey will not be adding police director to his r?sum?, with a split City Council tonight rejecting the mayor?s request to appoint Comey to the administrative post.

The council voted 5-4 against the measure, which would have given Comey the title of police director without any additional salary.

Members in opposition to the move apologized to the chief, who sat in the audience, even as they said they weren?t comfortable with him holding both positions.

?I love Chief Comey, but I have to vote no,? added Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez.

Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro said he wants the two positions to remain held by different people.

?I think it?s important that the chief of police report to the police director,? Lavarro said.

The police director acts as the administrative head of the Police Department, while the chief directs the 800-officer force. The former police director, Sam Jefferson, retired in February, and Comey, who earns $187,230 as chief, has filled in on an interim basis.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy wanted Comey to remain as the director until Healy?s term expires next year, but the council tonight rejected that plan.

Lavarro and Lopez were joined in opposition by council members David Donnelly, Steve Fulop and Viola Richardson. Council President Peter Brennan voted in favor, as did Bill Gaughan, Michele Massey and Michael Sottolano.

Brennan spoke with vehemence before casting his affirmative vote, pointing his finger toward the television camera and saying members who voted against ?better look yourself in a mirror.?

Comey?s ?life and soul are dedicated to the police department of Jersey City,? Brennan said. ?I?m making the right decision.?

Healy and Comey declined to comment tonight.

JJ piece?.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... city_council_rejec_4.html

Buy the JJ?

Ahahaha you lose Jerry! Wah wah wah! How does it feel to not get what you want? Like the rest of us in Jersey City who have suffered under your drunken tyranny. Now go to the corner and cry, with a bottle of cognac of course. Time out for you!

Posted on: 2012/5/11 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Healy is an arrogant drunk. Vote him out.

+1000

You forgot crooked.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Did he say why it does an injustice to the good people of this city?

Posted on: 2012/5/10 20:44
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy today blasted the five members of the City Council who last night voted not to approve Healy?s appointment of Police Chief Tom Comey as police director.
Healy called the decision ?political,? and stressed that Comey would have performed both roles at his current salary.
?The five members of the City Council who voted to not confirm Chief Comey as director of the Police Department have again shown to the electorate that their political motivation trumps good government and savings in excess of $200,000 for the taxpayers,? Healy said in a statement.
Sam Jefferson, the former police director, retired in February. He made $143,899 annually. City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the $200,000 figure cited by Healy includes the cost of Jefferson?s health benefits.
Comey, who earns $187,230 annually as chief, has been filling in for Jefferson on an interim basis, and Healy wanted to keep Comey in both roles until next year.
But last night, the council majority voiced their objection, saying they were uncomfortable with Comey acting as both the chief, who heads the 800-officer police force, and as director, the Police Department?s administrative chief.
Council members David Donnelly, Steve Fulop, Rolando Lavarro, Nidia Lopez and Viola Richardson voted to reject Comey?s appointment, while Peter Brennan, Bill Gaughan, Michele Massey and Michael Sottolano voted in favor.
?The crime statistics speak for themselves during the time Chief Comey has been in charge of the Police Department, and over the past two months both he and I have been meeting with the public and have been well received,? said Healy, who declined to comment after last night?s vote.
He added: ?This decision was based purely on politics and does an injustice to the good people of this city.?Resized ImageJJ

Posted on: 2012/5/10 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

+1000

Posted on: 2012/5/10 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
"Better look yourself in a mirror." Is that just crappy reporting by the JJ, or is Brennan really that inarticulate?

Not surprisingly, Old Bridge's crime rate is pretty low:

http://www.cityrating.com/crime-stati ... /old-bridge-township.html

Double pension sounds like the angle. That our lovely mayor can't even consider any sort of search for the position is pretty sad. That he comes up with Comey as the right man for the job is an indicator of his increasing political isolation.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 13:46
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
"Healy blasted Fulop, noting that Comey was born and raised in Jersey City, "unlike Councilman Fulop.""

Healy was born & raised in North Bergen.

Gaughan was born & raised in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Richardson was born & raised in South Carolina.

Lopez nobody is still too sure where the hell she lives but she ain't Jersey City born or raised.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bill Gaughan, Michele Massey and Michael Sottolano.
Do these b***s work 4 the people or for Healy?

Posted on: 2012/5/10 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
caj11,
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself will add to this.
In the mid to late 70's there was a well know court case brought by public service employees and unions. They sued Jersey City (and possibly others) saying laws like the ones you cite were not constitutionally valid. In any case the NJ Supreme Court decided in favor of the employees.
Simply put, the law may be on the books, but court cases and state laws make it not valid.

I would love to see the legal opinion of the case but I can't find it in the online law library anywhere. I did see a few cases pertaining to residency issues in Newark and a few other cities, but nothing specific to Jersey City or statewide. Furthermore, the city ordinance I cited is marked in the code as last being updated in July of 2010. Wouldn't they have taken it off the books if the courts struck it down? Makes no sense, but then again, this is Jersey City where the inmates run the asylum.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City City Council rejects move to appoint police chief as police director

Published: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 10:59 PM Updated: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 12:14 AM

Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey will not be adding police director to his r?sum?, with a split City Council tonight rejecting the mayor?s request to appoint Comey to the administrative post.

The council voted 5-4 against the measure, which would have given Comey the title of police director without any additional salary.

Members in opposition to the move apologized to the chief, who sat in the audience, even as they said they weren?t comfortable with him holding both positions.

?I love Chief Comey, but I have to vote no,? added Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez.

Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro said he wants the two positions to remain held by different people.

?I think it?s important that the chief of police report to the police director,? Lavarro said.

The police director acts as the administrative head of the Police Department, while the chief directs the 800-officer force. The former police director, Sam Jefferson, retired in February, and Comey, who earns $187,230 as chief, has filled in on an interim basis.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy wanted Comey to remain as the director until Healy?s term expires next year, but the council tonight rejected that plan.

Lavarro and Lopez were joined in opposition by council members David Donnelly, Steve Fulop and Viola Richardson. Council President Peter Brennan voted in favor, as did Bill Gaughan, Michele Massey and Michael Sottolano.

Brennan spoke with vehemence before casting his affirmative vote, pointing his finger toward the television camera and saying members who voted against ?better look yourself in a mirror.?

Comey?s ?life and soul are dedicated to the police department of Jersey City,? Brennan said. ?I?m making the right decision.?

Healy and Comey declined to comment tonight.

JJ piece?.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... city_council_rejec_4.html

Buy the JJ?

Posted on: 2012/5/10 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
What is the opposite of steroid abuse?

Resized Image

Chris Christie, he's just organic.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 16:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
He knows something about law enforcement and lawyering up. I love how he claims he wasn't drunk after drinking several beers. What a Boob. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/nyr ... ?_r=1&ref=jerramiahthealy

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
What is the opposite of steroid abuse?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Yes user1111 post #10 I too smell a double pension.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The mayor should be ashamed and embarrassed to even suggest such nonsense. This town is becoming a huge joke in Hudson county where crime is up and the chief of police refuses to live here. WTF is that about? I smell two pensions coming.

I always thought policemen had to be fit, with his unfit body I am not even sure he even qualifies to be a policeman in the shape he is in. They both look like they had way too many cocktails.

Doesn't this so called police chief also have a side security business? Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/9 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
I used to like Fulop but I realize now that he has no idea what he is doing. He's a lost puppy and does not belong in this city.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 12:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
caj11,
Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself will add to this.
In the mid to late 70's there was a well know court case brought by public service employees and unions. They sued Jersey City (and possibly others) saying laws like the ones you cite were not constitutionally valid. In any case the NJ Supreme Court decided in favor of the employees.
Simply put, the law may be on the books, but court cases and state laws make it not valid.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Does a Wall Street analyst need to live on Wall Street to understand what happens on Wall Street?

First people complain about paying public servants enough money to live, and complain when they stretch their salaries by living someplace cheaper. Its an inconsistent expectation.

No, a Wall Street analyst doesn't need to live on Wall Street, and that's not the same type of thing anyway. You miss my point, a very simple one at that. The city ordinance says the city employees MUST live in the city. Why can't the city follow its own rules? That is my point. Because they sure know how to impose fines on the rest of us when we don't follow the rules.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Does a Wall Street analyst need to live on Wall Street to understand what happens on Wall Street?

First people complain about paying public servants enough money to live, and complain when they stretch their salaries by living someplace cheaper. Its an inconsistent expectation.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
If you see the picture in the newspaper of Healy and Comey sitting together you have to cringe. Healy is a drunken boob and Comey is a corpulent career policeman who has used his political connections to get where he is now. What an image to display for the City. And Comey lives in Old Bridge ! He isn't even a Jersey City citizen !

Posted on: 2012/5/9 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Let him have five jobs. There's enough of him to go around... heyyyyyyy

Posted on: 2012/5/9 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jersey City mayor wants police chief formally named police director as well

Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 7:40 PM

The Ward E councilman also criticized Comey's Old Bridge residency.

"Police leadership for the city should live in the city so they see and feel the issues like the other 250,000 residents," he said.

Asked to comment, Comey said he "appreciates" the mayor's confidence, and hopes to "continue on the path we've already undertaken." He declined to comment on Fulop's statement.

Healy blasted Fulop, noting that Comey was born and raised in Jersey City, "unlike Councilman Fulop."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_mayor_wants_police.html

First of all, I don't believe Healy was born and raised in Jersey City and he sure as hell didn't go to school here. Not that it would make him qualified for his job anyway.

Second, and this is what bugs me so much, there is a city ordinance, sec. 53-2, that requires ALL city employees to live in the city, yet Chief Comey lives in Old Bridge:

? 53-2. - Domicile as condition of employment.

A.All Employees, as a condition of their employment, shall maintain a bona fide domicile in the City of Jersey City during the period of their employment. Domicile means the permanent place of abode within the meaning, intent and scope of the New Jersey Statutes and court decisions governing and defining "domicile." It shall also mean the permanent abode which the Employee occupies with his or her spouse and minor children.

B.All Employees shall file with the Division of Personnel an affidavit setting forth the following:

(1)the address and telephone number of the Employees' bona fide domicile; and

(2)the address and telephone number of the Employees' spouse and minor children.

I even called the Department of Law, and was told that they had an agreement with the city employees' union not to enforce this ordinance. How is such an agreement legal and how is it legal that so many Jersey City employees, including heads of key departments, don't live in this city?

Regardless of how important anyone thinks this residency requirement may be for city employees, it is a city ordinance. Why can't the city follow its own rules?

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
LOLOLOLOL THE FUNNIEST THING I READ ALL DAY!!!!

Posted on: 2012/5/9 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 7:40 PM

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is recommending the City Council approve his appointment of Police Chief Tom Comey as the city's police director, for a term to end when Healy's term expires next year.

Comey, who earns $187,230 a year in his current position, said he will not accept any additional monetary compensation for committing to the dual role of police chief and director. Sam Jefferson retired as police director, the police department's administrative chief, in February.

Healy touted the move to appoint Comey as Jefferson's successor as a win for taxpayers.
"We saw an opportunity to save more than $200,000 annually," Healy said in a statement, citing Jefferson's salary and benefits package.

Healy's request has at least one dissenter in Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop.

"Healy's friend has had mediocre performance and won't even acknowledge a crime problem," Fulop said.

The Ward E councilman also criticized Comey's Old Bridge residency.

"Police leadership for the city should live in the city so they see and feel the issues like the other 250,000 residents," he said.

Asked to comment, Comey said he "appreciates" the mayor's confidence, and hopes to "continue on the path we've already undertaken." He declined to comment on Fulop's statement.

Healy blasted Fulop, noting that Comey was born and raised in Jersey City, "unlike Councilman Fulop."

Comey "has spent his life protecting the residents as a beat cop and now as chief and director," Healy said. "He knows this city better than most and has made it his life's work to ensure the safety and security of those who live in, work in and visit our city."

The Healy administration is considering creating a Department of Public Safety, which would include the police and fire departments, and be led by one administrator.

The council is scheduled to vote on Comey's appointment to police director at its meeting tomorrow, which begins at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_mayor_wants_police.html

Posted on: 2012/5/9 0:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017