Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 15 »

Re: LSP Bridge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Inept JC government failure if they don't reconnect this park ASAP. Johnson avenue is a war zone! I'm sure they will take forever to fix it. Not acceptable! They suck! Fulop please help!

you can't just throw a bridge up overnight, you know. Would be nice to get a temporary footbridge up til the vehicle bridge gets built.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 5:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm betting they use this event to push through the scheduling for the vehicle bridge that developers want, and hold us hostage by not rebuilding the footbridge till we cave.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Inept JC government failure if they don't reconnect this park ASAP. Johnson avenue is a war zone! I'm sure they will take forever to fix it. Not acceptable! They suck! Fulop please help!

Posted on: 2012/11/13 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
There aren't many alternate routes if you're coming from downtown. Grand St. is a street to avoid though under any circumstances. There's been lots of accidents because people drive more maniacal than usual here. Presently, some traffic signals are out and there are detours making it that much more dangerous.

I find the best way to get to the park is taking Bright St. up to and through the Pathmark shopping center. Take a break and enjoy all the fine stores. Go to the end of the shopping center (past the dry cleaners) and take a left on the small street (Bates) that goes into Grand. That's just before Pacific. Wait patiently until traffic eases and shoot across to Pacific. The rest of the way is a breeze.

Coming back is a little dicier at the Pacific and Grand intersection, particularly during rush hour.

Not that it matters, but I live by the park and have been biking to the Grove PATH for several years.

Posted on: 2012/11/11 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

Liberty State Park is a New Jersey State Park. That's their official website and it will contain any official information about a reopening.

There are a series of pictures demonstrating the damage to the train terminal, the Hudson River Walkway and the various buildings in the park. The pictures demonstrate that the park -- or at least certain sections -- will be closed for quite some time.

Posted on: 2012/11/10 14:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I'll miss that bridge as well, I hope some version of it (hopefully stronger than the outgoing one) reopens. The last one was heading downhill even before Sandy...

On another note, even going around the "long" way, isn't the park completely closed/off-limits? Any ideas on when it might reopen or will it be shut all winter?

Posted on: 2012/11/10 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are select weekends when there are guided tours through the undeveloped sections of LSP. Of course, now you'll have to walk the long way to get there.

The undeveloped section is an amazing place. Nature has reclaimed a highly polluted rail yard. There are so few places in our area that have been free of human intervention for decades.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Now that I have to plan a new route to the park, I was using Google Maps and was pretty amazed at how little space of the park is actually used. I never realized it before but there's actually more of the undeveloped land than what's currently accessible. I found this old article from the JC Independent with photos of the interior and it looks awesome.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... a-continues-its-comeback/

I can see the service roads running all over the place from the map, which I would LOVE to do some low-grade trail riding on. I'd assume this is all off limits, which sucks.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I'm sad about that bridge, I have a lot of fond memories of it. Riding my bike over to Liberty Landing and Liberty State Park has always been a nice escape for me at the end of the day. Riding all the way around to get there on surface streets is going to suck. I hope they repair or rebuild the bridge soon but the practical side of me thinks its going to be low down on peoples lists of priorities. It was never the best bridge in the world- I remember riding across it when it was submerged at high tide!

Especially when those streets are not suitable for bike riding at all.

I can understand avoiding Grand street, but Pacific and Johnston aren?t more dangerous for bike riding than any other city street. It definitely sucks losing the bridge, but the more serious problem is the damage to LSP?s waterfront walkway. The seawall doesn?t look too bad, but the walkway is trashed, the railing is warped, and the benches that weren?t swept away completely are in bad shape. The coin-op binoculars seem okay though?they?re as overbuilt as they look.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it looks like all those old issues will be opened up again. Should be fun.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
From reading these old links, I think Jersey City owns it. Check out that link from the Hudson Reporter from 2003 a lot of shi* went on with that little bridge. Gee.

Troubled bridge over water Residents question delay on footbridge into Liberty State Park(Aug 29,2003)

http://hudsonreporter.com/pages/full_ ... +State+Park%20&id=2392693

HART - Hudson Alliance for Rational Transportation (May 6, 2003)

http://www.hartwheels.org/55LotDev.html

Posted on: 2012/11/9 18:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I'm sad about that bridge, I have a lot of fond memories of it. Riding my bike over to Liberty Landing and Liberty State Park has always been a nice escape for me at the end of the day. Riding all the way around to get there on surface streets is going to suck. I hope they repair or rebuild the bridge soon but the practical side of me thinks its going to be low down on peoples lists of priorities. It was never the best bridge in the world- I remember riding across it when it was submerged at high tide!

Especially when those streets are not suitable for bike riding at all.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/6 15:31
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Does this belong to the city or the us parks dept?

I am also going to miss this bridge. We just moved to the area in October and so many of the things we wanted to take advantage of are in similar situations. Hope JC rebounds quickly.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/9 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
By the way, who owns and maintains that bridge? I think knowing that will give something of a clue about how quickly and how well it will be replaced.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The LSP bridge picture is in this JCList thread...

JCList Sandy pictures thread

(check out the dopes trying to cross it)

Posted on: 2012/11/9 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope it gets fixed, or that they build something nice.

Not too hopeful on this one.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It was picked up by the surge and moved about 100 feet west of the path. There are pictures floating around -- it has not been fixed. The bridge is likely destroyed.

Posted on: 2012/11/9 13:58

LSP Bridge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know the status of the pedestrian bridge that connects Jersey Ave. with LSP? Last I knew it was under water. Is it fixed? If not, will it be fixed and when?

Posted on: 2012/11/9 13:01

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
All you want to do is hope for Green lights that you will be on Grand st without having to stop on Johnston and Pacific..

There really needs to be an alternative to leave LSP without having to touch either of those two streets.

I wouldn't mind a Jersey Ave connection for use at night time only.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Before they build the bridge, they should complete the Hudson waterfront walkway.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 11:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
The Jersey ave extension is definitely going to happen. We just don't know when.
Traffic calming would be needed to deter people from speeding....speed bumps, or traffic lights.

Second, I have been walking home from Grove at night to Lafayette and have been tempted to walk down Jersey ave into LSP. The only problem is that it is desolate and creepy. Pedestrian safety and crime is what's on my mind. If someone attacks you there, good luck trying to get help.
If it was a regular well lit roadway it would be much better to walk and commute for those that are trying to make it to the path station or downtown. Although the downtown residents have expressed that this will create a problem the fact of the matter is that Lafayette is plagued with traffic trying to get TO downtown. It should be expected that DT jersey city will continue to be more and more congested with more people trying to live near NYC. If you want more space or less traffic there are beautiful huge spacious homes with driveways all over, Bergen Lafayette and Greenville, not to mention cheaper!

Whenever I walk home from work to Lafayette, I always take the LSP route. I find Grand St to be extremely desolate, especially when you hit that area with the bizarro Pathmark sprawlburbia parking lot, gas station, and used car lot. Then going down Pacific I find a little dodgy until you get to Communipaw Ave. The LSP way is much, much nicer. Of course, I would never walk either way after dark, just bike or bus, but since it's been light out it's totally fine. I see several other people walking and biking the LSP way; on the contrary I have walked down the Grand st way and not seen a single human being. Just the drone of cars zooming by. A nicer pedestrian path is all that is needed, like someone else said. It's a little janky now is all.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just don't understand the continued emphasis on vehicular traffic. Especially when seemingly every other city in the country is going in the opposite direction.

My thought is that by NOT building roads, extending roads, widening roads, etc, you are steering more people to consider taking mass transit, which will in turn increase service provided by the mass transit agencies.

That southernmost corridor of Jersey Ave WILL eventually be developed (the eastern side of the road by Liberty Harbor, and the western side by somebody else I believe) ... so it won't be desolate. A nice new pedestrian bridge is all that is needed down there.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Given the planned development for both sides of the canal, building a road bridge is probably inevitable.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
I'd actually like to see a new bridge built, but maybe with specific traffic calming features like traffic circles and/or speed bumps, and making the road one-way against the commute) during rush hours. As the area around Liberty Harbor develops down the road this could help make the area at the foot of Jersey less desolate. And hopefully traffic calming could avoid it becoming a highway.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
The Jersey ave extension is definitely going to happen. We just don't know when.
Traffic calming would be needed to deter people from speeding....speed bumps, or traffic lights.

Second, I have been walking home from Grove at night to Lafayette and have been tempted to walk down Jersey ave into LSP. The only problem is that it is desolate and creepy. Pedestrian safety and crime is what's on my mind. If someone attacks you there, good luck trying to get help.
If it was a regular well lit roadway it would be much better to walk and commute for those that are trying to make it to the path station or downtown. Although the downtown residents have expressed that this will create a problem the fact of the matter is that Lafayette is plagued with traffic trying to get TO downtown. It should be expected that DT jersey city will continue to be more and more congested with more people trying to live near NYC. If you want more space or less traffic there are beautiful huge spacious homes with driveways all over, Bergen Lafayette and Greenville, not to mention cheaper!

Posted on: 2012/5/4 14:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope this does not happen. I bike through there on my way to and from the Path train specifically to avoid car traffic. I see a lot of bikers, runners, and walkers going through there. It's quiet and a nice break from traffic. It's already bad enough that cars can drive through LSP at all. What they should do is make a nicer pedestrian path connecting it with Jersey Ave.

It should be well known at this point in time that more roads = more traffic. More people just "passing through" instead of people out walking and enjoying their environment. And crossing Grand is already scary enough as it is.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I'm already a little nervous when I walk my daughter to school (P.S. 3), because it entails crossing at Grand Street and Jersey Avenue. Adding the traffic from the extension will only make it worse.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 21:40

Re: Jersey Ave Bridge to Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
From the new bridge to Grand the road would become a bit of a drag-strip probably leading to more accidents and deaths like the recent one on Grand.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... =&topic_id=26076&forum=10

On traffic calming, I don't understand why we can't get the school crossing guards to make more liberal use of traffic cones during school hours. A few forced detours on Erie, Jersey Ave and Monmouth in the mornings couldn't hurt.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 21:32

Re: Jersey Ave Bridge to Liberty State Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
JC really needs to get with the program and stop catering to the needs of drivers. Which JC residents would benefit from having a vehicle bridge to the park via jersey ave?

I've mentioned it earlier and have been told I'm "deaf to reason," but I'll say it again: residents of Lafayette would potentially benefit from this, as Pacific Ave. is a parking lot in the morning thanks to all of the Staten Island & Bayonne commuters using our neighborhood as a shortcut to points further in. My fellow residents in other parts of JC complain about congestion and access issues in their neighborhoods resulting from non-JC commuters, and it's just as annoying to us in Lafayette as it is to residents of Hamilton Park, VVP, etc.

The argument that such a bridge would only increase the volume of outside commuters makes sense, and I'm not insisting that it's the best or only solution. The problem could likely be solved if the city would bother to introduce some disincentives or traffic control measures to reduce flow from outside. However, the current administration has made it pretty clear that it's not interested in entertaining JC citizens' views on any number of transportation & quality of life issues - so there's something I think we can all agree on.

(One final thought - the current access points to Liberty State Park are an embarrassment. LSP is one of JC's absolute gems, but current access is either via the putrid pedestrian bridge, or the crumbling / unlit / chronically flooded Johnston Ave. underpass. To play the bright side game, at least a new bridge would create the appearance that JC takes pride in this remarkable resource.)

Posted on: 2012/5/3 21:17

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017