Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Key Foods - Jersey & 3rd
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday I was able to do a full shop with confidence. I bought rib eye's, organic chicken, organic produce and items from the deli. Everything was fully stocked. The manager was there tidying up and so far everything was good, fresh and the prices weren't any worse than A&P. It's just getting adjusted to trusting this is a place that one can do their entire shopping. Until everyone starts to realize it's possible locally - they may have trouble with turnover! But please go! It's great so far....

Posted on: 2012/8/26 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
lots of people, considering they were almost out of them

Posted on: 2012/8/4 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Who the hell eats 75 cent eggs?

Posted on: 2012/8/3 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll 2nd (3rd? 4th?) those telling people to check the receipt. There still seem to be a few bugs in the system - eggs that were supposed to scan at $.75 rang up at $2.29, kidney beans at $.88, black beans at $.40... I like the store, but do be careful when they're ringing it up to make sure you aren't being overcharged.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 23:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with the suggestion to check the receipt, or better yet, keep an eye on the casher register scren while they are scanning your items. And this goes for any supermarket you go to for shopping. I also advise you check the stickers on deli/fish items you order. I got incorrectly billed $80+ for 1 lb. of cod fish at the Shoprite in Bayonne... I didn't bother to check until I had already paid... so lesson learned!

On the other hand, love the fact that Key Food carries some varieties of organic fruits and vegetables. They also surprised me the other day selling zapote fruit (you can google it if you don't know what it is). It is really hard to find zapote in the local markets, so that was quite a treat! The upgraded deli area is a very nice improvement, offering Board's Head brand which is pretty decent. Got to say, what a nice change from the former C-Town!!

Posted on: 2012/8/3 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I saw they added some fish, but unfortunately all they had was tilapia and farmed salmon. If they brought in basically any kind of wild caught fish, I would be a regular.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 16:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
They are having a grand opening today.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Looks like they have installed an upgraded deli counter and a sign said Rotisserie Chickens - $5.99 (I guess they are coming soon). Unfortunately I don't find the fruits up to snuff so I'm still at the farmers market of WF-Tribeca.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Just an FYI to those of you who shop at Key Foods-- check your receipt carefully! I bought five items the other day and didn't realize til I got home that two of the items had scanned higher than the sale price.

I brought my receipt in the next day. At first they kind of gave me a hard time, saying I should have brought the actual items back (really, on produce?). I've never had to do that at A&P or Shoprite. I brought the cashier over to the items and showed her the signs. She scanned the items and they came up the wrong prices. The owner/mgr was called and didn't want to refund my money at first because I hadn't brought back the items but I pressed the issue.

I think the store is a vast improvement over C-Town but I was a little put off by the customer service. I'll still shop there but I'll check the receipt before I leave the store.

If you are watching your money, you must check your receipt very carefully. The scanner makes all sorts of mistakes, -- normally always in the stores's favor!
They've been pretty good about making it right by me, but
since i go in almost every day, they know me pretty well
by now.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Just an FYI to those of you who shop at Key Foods-- check your receipt carefully! I bought five items the other day and didn't realize til I got home that two of the items had scanned higher than the sale price.

I brought my receipt in the next day. At first they kind of gave me a hard time, saying I should have brought the actual items back (really, on produce?). I've never had to do that at A&P or Shoprite. I brought the cashier over to the items and showed her the signs. She scanned the items and they came up the wrong prices. The owner/mgr was called and didn't want to refund my money at first because I hadn't brought back the items but I pressed the issue.

I think the store is a vast improvement over C-Town but I was a little put off by the customer service. I'll still shop there but I'll check the receipt before I leave the store.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I haven't noticed any difference in the staff. The place looks and smells better but it hasn't changed much except for better produce. The ice cream still has the tell-tale frosting which is a sign that it has defrosted and then been refrozen. I stopped in the other day and there was one register open for all customers. There were people with 1 item who had to wait for large orders to be processed. How about an express lane? The prices aren't great either. They used to be about a 2 out of 10 stars and have moved to maybe a 6 out of 10.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
i've been a tried and true c-town hater for some time so i really didn't expect to find myself in key foods ever either, but i will throw in a thumbs up for them. i've searched supermarkets high and low in this area for the salsa i ate in costa rica - lizano - but couldn't find it ANYWHERE (i swear, i tried) which surprised me given the large hispanic population. last week i found myself closest to key foods needing a few items and was SHOCKED to find my beloved lizano salsa right there on the shelf. boom. best surprise.

oh, and it's clean and has fresh produce and all that now too :)

Posted on: 2012/6/12 14:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
I was amazed to see that they are now open every day until 10pm - finally, the ability to buy groceries after 8pm!

Posted on: 2012/6/12 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was really pleasantly surprised when I went in yesterday. Their produce section is like a scaled-down version of A&P's only much cheaper. They had all the basics, grocery-wise. I'm hoping that they're going to eventually have a meat/fish counter to order, but for now their refrigerator case meats look fine. It's immaculate, well-stocked and the cashier said "Thank you." I almost keeled over.

Posted on: 2012/6/11 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any updates on the meat and fish? Is the chicken up to par, and is there any fish? Last time I went there wasn't.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 16:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
THRILLED with Key Foods.

C-town was a stop I made only in last-minute desperation.

Now I have a great grocer within walking distance.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 14:59

Pleasant Suprise! Key Foods - Jersey & 3rd
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nice and clean, good quality produce, fair prices, friendly service.

I also like the Twin City Market in JC just next Bayonne on Garfield/Broadway. For those in Greenville, the only decent place to shop here.

The Pathmark on 440 is lwhat a supermarket run by MTA would be like. Shopping carts locked up so you cant use them, surly employees, filthy conditions, etc.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I am loving the renovation and new management. I'm having a hard time finding a reason to drive to A&P. The produce is great! I hope people will patronize them so they continue to stock the wide variety of products in the store now.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 18:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was just by there and it looks like they're almost done with the renovation. It really looks great, I hope they're successful

Posted on: 2012/5/22 21:56
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to voice my excitement over the new Key Foods! The new, cleaner, look is great. I love the new produce section and they are carrying some "nicer" brands, like Garofollo pasta. Prices are pretty good too. I asked and they will continue to carry the spanish and mexican specialties.
I hope everyone tries them out so they can continue to grow!

Posted on: 2012/4/25 0:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 20:44
Group:
Banned
If they get decent fish and meat and maybe some prepared food it would be great. The word must be out, midday Sunday the the place was really crowded. My last fish purchase at Shoprite was my last.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 17:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
no longer appears (or headed there) like the grocery store time forgot! The old C-Town sure did!

Posted on: 2012/4/18 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Produce is finally good. Place doesn't smell. Still a little skeptical about meat and dairy though.

Posted on: 2012/4/18 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I hope they also discontinue they *ahem ILLEGAL* refusal to not accept credit/debit under $10. Yes, this is a violation of the agreement that stores make with Visa/MC/AmEx and if they are caught doing it are in trouble. I just hope they stop that nonsense because most people nowadays don't have so much cash on them!

Good luck to the new Key Foods.

I went in a week ago to pick up a few things, mistakenly thinking I had cash on me. They took my cc without hesitation and with a smile for about $8. I don't remember seeing a sign about policy.

I am very happy with the changes there. Every day it's getting better and better.

Nice to hear that you got a smile. Try getting one at Shop Rite. I'll try Key Foods, especially if the produce is good. Now if they could just get some great, fresh seafood, I'd be a dedicated customer.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 22:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

You MISS C-Town???? Because you can't go in there hungover and get guava pies? I suggest you reevaluate your priorities or move to a different area of Jersey City.

lolz. cuz, ya know, all those darker people who liked guava pies don't live here anymore.

I reread my response numerous times and still can't find where I said "darker people." Maybe you can help me find that? I'm sure since you're such a fan of guava pies, you can find them at any number of other places in other AREAS of downtown.

heee heee heee Some people get riled up over the silliest things. What is it about guava pies that sets you off? Did you get bit by one when you were a kid?

Anyway, that C-Town was several incarnations ago.

I may not be one of the "darker people". I also miss the Irish Bakery on Newark Ave, and the little old Polish lady who sold sandwiches on the southwest corner of First and Newark (guess I'll have tomove to Clifton for that.)

Posted on: 2012/4/17 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

You MISS C-Town???? Because you can't go in there hungover and get guava pies? I suggest you reevaluate your priorities or move to a different area of Jersey City.

lolz. cuz, ya know, all those darker people who liked guava pies don't live here anymore.

I reread my response numerous times and still can't find where I said "darker people." Maybe you can help me find that? I'm sure since you're such a fan of guava pies, you can find them at any number of other places in other AREAS of downtown.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2012/4/17 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Butter wrote:
I never had a problem charging less than $10 at C-Town, didn't know they had a policy against it.
I like the changes Key Foods is putting in. But I prefer the old C-Town, where you could go in hungover on a Sunday and they'd be blaring that really fast Hispanic music, and you could pick up 2 guava pies for $3.
I just hope they do something about their dumpsters. We got a lot of trash blowing around from the dumpster set-up now.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:11
Group:
Registered Users
I never had a problem charging less than $10 at C-Town, didn't know they had a policy against it.
I like the changes Key Foods is putting in. But I prefer the old C-Town, where you could go in hungover on a Sunday and they'd be blaring that really fast Hispanic music, and you could pick up 2 guava pies for $3.
I just hope they do something about their dumpsters. We got a lot of trash blowing around from the dumpster set-up now.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

I hope they also discontinue they *ahem ILLEGAL* refusal to not accept credit/debit under $10. Yes, this is a violation of the agreement that stores make with Visa/MC/AmEx and if they are caught doing it are in trouble. I just hope they stop that nonsense because most people nowadays don't have so much cash on them!

It was never illegal to require minimum charges. While minimum charges did violate the Visa and Mastercard vender agreements, that doesn't make them illegal. The only requirement American Express had was that the minimum charge not be different for their card than from any other card.

However, the federal government recently changed laws governing credit and debit cards. Since so many suckers are too stupid to manage credit card debt, the government stepped in to regulate how credit card companies can over charge, double bill, and slap fees on ignorant consumers. As a result, the Visa and Mastercard began making some changes.

Two of the biggest changes have been the reduction in rewards cards, which without as many fees are more difficult to make profitable, followed by the introduction of minium purchase allowances.

Most purchase minimums may now be set as high as $10.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 14:37

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017