Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: City Tree Planting Applications
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
the program was a good deal all the way around when $50, our experience was 90% of the trees survived and DPW did a great job with sidewalk cut and planting. however, gets riskier at $200 per tree, perhaps both the city and other groups can start "digging" around for grant monies to subsidize.
. Hey Dan, Can we possibly get all of the Downtown Associations together to do a fundraiser for this? Along with grants I really think adding trees to our city will have multiple benefits.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they did a good job planting, and I was surprised that they also included the sidewalk cut. The only caution with that is that you should be there to let them know where you want it and how large the cut should be. If not, you'll get a standard 4' x 4' square wherever they think is a good spot. You can't move that hole later!

The other thing is that, once it's planted, you really need to take care of it. Mulch it and start watering it immediately. If they plant in spring, you're going to need to water almost daily for the season unless it rains a lot. Putting a Tree Gator on it is a really good investment. I've seen too many City-planted trees die because the building owners did not water them enough.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the program was a good deal all the way around when $50, our experience was 90% of the trees survived and DPW did a great job with sidewalk cut and planting. however, gets riskier at $200 per tree, perhaps both the city and other groups can start "digging" around for grant monies to subsidize.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 3:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds pretty promising, and definitely a great addition. Hopefully word can be spread and more trees can grace our streets. Were there any stipulations if the tree doesn't acclimate?

Posted on: 2012/4/3 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
The parks dept does this twice annually. I've had them plant red maples and flowering plums in a couple of different places over the years. Used to be only $50. I guess you can't escape inflation.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 19:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
We just had a tree planted in front of our house (late 2011). It was a pretty painless process...outside of forking over the $200. The JC parks dept folks were pretty nice and helpful.

Not sure if JC offers this annually. One of our neighbors forwarded us the application so 2011 was the first year that we knew about this.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 14:47

City Tree Planting Applications
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone applied for a tree installation on their property?

My brother just bought a row house in Philly and found out that the city will install (break up the concrete) and plant a tree in front of your house on the curb line for free if your property qualifies (no hydrant, power lines etc.)

I found an application from last year on the Jersey City public site, that offers something similar, yet costs $200.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... lanting%20Application.pdf

Anyone know if this is offered every year? Wondering if anyone has done/tried this for their homes.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 1:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017