Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 27 »

Re: Embankment- Update Thread
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What I find inexplicable and sad is the huge expensive effort made for this cause, but none to insure the new neighborhood emerging in the Jersey Ave Redevelopment Zone north of 12th will have a park of ANY kind other than the tiny piddling "landscaping" greenspaces developers throw in. That 20 story tower going up on 18th? the residents will be coming to already heavily used Hamilton Park with their kids and dogs.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Must every square inch have a high-rise built on it? Get it through your thick skulls that the infrastructure in Jersey City is ancient. Unless billions are spent to expand and upgrade the infrastructure then continually adding thousands of new residents is just going to overtax sewers, roads, electric and public transportation etc. Green space is what makes an area attractive and LIVABLE. And God Forbid the residents actually get something nice back for all the taxes they pay! Maybe some of you should get a job in China with Apple Computers if you enjoy over-crowding and being stacked like sardines.

Nowhere in my comments on this thread did I support a high-rise. There are more than two options.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Nice strawman. However, public transportation actually assists thousands of people daily, as well as helps link communities. .

Well, this kind of statement is easy to validate. If the light rail is profitable, than it was a good investment. If not, - it is a bad one.

That's actually missing the point of public transportation. It is not meant to be a for-profit venture, it is a public service. At best, they exist not to lose money while providing the service.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I bet the people complaining about a park on the embankment being a waste of money also probably thought the light rail was a waste of money.

Nice strawman. However, public transportation actually assists thousands of people daily, as well as helps link communities. Kindly tell me how Greenville or Bayonne or Exchange Place or Hoboken benefits from this.

A 5-block by half a block park serves very few people in one small neighborhood and will obviously cost truckloads of money.

Yep - an equivalent of Gramercy Park for the residents of 6th St brownstones....

Yeah, yeah - I know it will be open to all....

But in reality it will be a private park - elevated and small.

What a con the Embankment Coalition has pulled...

Unbelievable.

StillinJC: Do you own a home here in downtown Jersey City?

I'm very curious about how you think this will be a private park. Can you back this up with information based on why you think this?

How small is small for you? Do you have square footage to validate your definition? Smaller than a car? Bigger than a bread box?

Define con, and please specify with more information on this said "con". Have you followed this entire process and read all the paperwork on it? All I am reading is opinion and I'm suspect of the motivations. It reads more like passive aggressive hostility. But I'd love to understand your comments if you can back it up with concrete fact.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Must every square inch have a high-rise built on it? Get it through your thick skulls that the infrastructure in Jersey City is ancient. Unless billions are spent to expand and upgrade the infrastructure then continually adding thousands of new residents is just going to overtax sewers, roads, electric and public transportation etc. Green space is what makes an area attractive and LIVABLE. And God Forbid the residents actually get something nice back for all the taxes they pay! Maybe some of you should get a job in China with Apple Computers if you enjoy over-crowding and being stacked like sardines.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I bet the people complaining about a park on the embankment being a waste of money also probably thought the light rail was a waste of money.

Nice strawman. However, public transportation actually assists thousands of people daily, as well as helps link communities. Kindly tell me how Greenville or Bayonne or Exchange Place or Hoboken benefits from this.

A 5-block by half a block park serves very few people in one small neighborhood and will obviously cost truckloads of money.

Yep - an equivalent of Gramercy Park for the residents of 6th St brownstones....

Yeah, yeah - I know it will be open to all....

But in reality it will be a private park - elevated and small.

What a con the Embankment Coalition has pulled...

Unbelievable.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Nice strawman. However, public transportation actually assists thousands of people daily, as well as helps link communities. .

Well, this kind of statement is easy to validate. If the light rail is profitable, than it was a good investment. If not, - it is a bad one.

Simple.

As for the embankment, I have a question - what are the grounds for the city to sue for ownership? I.e., does it mean that city may own whatever property it likes?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 5:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/5 5:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know which block is being excluded from the deal?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
This is GREAT news imo. I bet the people complaining about a park on the embankment being a waste of money also probably thought the light rail was a waste of money.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
7 mil is about 70 bucks per JC household, only because yuppies living in brownstones along 6th street don't want Hyman's development in their face. Amazing.

And how much more will it cost to develop the Embankment into a park?

Who will pay for it?

I think the residents of JC are getting robbed blind by Healy and the Embankment Coalition.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
7 million. what a catastrophic waste of money.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The daily poll for the Jersey Journal has the question

Will you visit the Embankment if Jersey City eventually makes it a park?

Vote at http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... l_will_you_visit_the.html

Posted on: 2012/2/4 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Federal appeals court rules Jersey City's lawsuit seeking ownership of the Sixth Street Embankment can proceed

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 03, 2012, 8:22 PM

There may soon be a conclusion to the seemingly never-ending saga of Jersey City's Sixth Street Embankment -- a solution that finds the city with a piece of property it has long desired to turn into an elevated park in the spirit of the High Line in New York.

The six-block-long stone structure that formerly carried seven rail lines has been at the center of a seven-year legal dispute between the city, which wants to use the 6.5-acre parcel for open space, and developers Steve and Victoria Hyman, who purchased the lot from Conrail in 2003 for $3 million and seek to develop it.

The Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled today that a suit brought by the city and community groups in an effort to obtain ownership of the property may go forward. The decision reverses a lower court decision that ruled the city had no standing.

The ruling, by Judge David S. Tatel, calls the property "a quaint memorial to a bygone era, a verdant holdout against modern urban sprawl."

Meanwhile, there is a possible settlement in the works that calls for the city to pony up $7 million for all but one block of the Embankment, according to a resolution set for approval at Wednesday's City Council meeting.

City officials cheered the ruling.

"We are pleased with the decision of the Court of Appeals and remain committed to making the historic Embankment a world-class park, hopefully sooner, rather than later," said Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis.

Matsikoudis declined to comment on the proposed settlement.

Meanwhile, Stephen Gucciardo, president of the Embankment Preservation Coalition, also expressed delight about yesterday's ruling.

"We're just thankful, and congratulate the mayor and the council for enduring this whole long, difficult process," Gucciardo said. "It's taken a long time in the courts, and obviously it's not over yet."

Dan Horgan, attorney for the Hymans, said his clients have "always" wanted a settlement that would put an end to the legal battle. The settlement is "not there yet, but we're getting close," Horgan said by phone.

"We're trying to do something that's in the best interest of the city. The city being the people that pay the taxes," he said.

Last May, Horgan offered a settlement that would have seen the city pay $10 million for two blocks of the Embankment for use as a public park, while the Hymans kept the rest. The council rejected that offer.

The council meets on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

Posted on: 2012/2/4 6:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! Thanks for posting Dan. That's great news and not as tight as the Cert of Appropriateness vote.

Posted on: 2011/10/21 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Embankment demolition application denied 5-0

Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
final hearing and decision on the demolition of the Embankment, Thursday, 6pm, City Hall -

update message - embankment final hearing

Posted on: 2011/10/20 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/8/2 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's the last day to vote, VOTE NOW
Go to http://www.embankment.org/
and follow the instructions!

Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Help the Embankment Preservation Coalition win up to $25,000 in the National Trust for Historic Preservation "This Place Matters" Community Challenge.

The Trust selected to compete with 99 other historic sites in this challenge.

Now It's Up to You!
We are now in 5th place out of 100 participants.
We need you vote to win the prize!

Just click on embankment.org
for instructions.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Help the Embankment Preservation Coalition win up to $25,000 in the National Trust for Historic Preservation "This Place Matters" Community Challenge.

The Trust selected to compete with 99 other historic sites in this challenge.

Now It's Up to You!
We are now in 5th place out of 100 participants.
We need you vote to win the prize!

Just click on embankment.org
for instructions.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 13:46
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
If you haven't voted, it takes one minute! Make our Park!

Help Us Win $25,000
for the Historic Harsimus Branch Embankment
and Make Our Park!
THIS PLACE MATTERS!
Community Challenge
WE NEED YOUR VOTE
The National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP) has selected the Embankment Preservation Coalition from 250 entrants for its "This Place Matters" Community Challenge. One hundred projects were chosen to compete for three top prizes of $25,000, $10,000, or $5,000. You can help us win a prize by giving us your vote!

Anyone with a valid email address may vote. You do not have to be a New Jersey resident.

To Vote for us, you must register with the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

http://www.embankment.org/

Posted on: 2011/6/16 19:19
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
@bright. read them.....still aiming low. you should go back to the drawing board.

but the idea of that park doesn't suck so don't take it the wrong way, it is a unique park that not many cities can say they have, but it is a park nonetheless. Just because it is connected to a bike & hike trail doesn't mean it will get people to come from all around to visit.

Pferm201, are you sure you read? I made it clear that the projections were a Travel and Tourism study compiled to show what were already proven revenue from current $$'s being spent together with projected revenue that would be generated by a "bike & hike trail" which shows it would get people "to come from all around to visit".

Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:23
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
"The T&M plan documents the severe deficit in open space in Jersey City, comparing our land use to land use standards. The deficit has long been known, but this plan brings focus to the problem."

from - http://civicjc.org/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=21

I'll dig up a link to the final plan and link to it.

They write things like ?Maximal build-out??an ironical concept for a park?is called for. Such a practice is environmentally questionable and should be avoided."

They mention no specific environmental problem. Nor they explain what "maximal build-out" means and what alternatives are there.

Basically, what this says is ?Maximal build-out?? sounds like they want to build more, while we want them to build less. So, let's oppose that."

I tend to dislike any attempt of pretty-dressing one's personal interests and presenting them as altruistic concerns for something more important.

With this in mind, the essence of the document is: here is a list of things we want done: we want city to buy this piece, develop that piece, better here, create something there, - who's going to pay for all that?

Well, we are. This is all coming out of our taxes.

So, when you propose "let's buy this tract of land and improve it so and so", - you should put a price tag on that. And then add a proposal of how we are going to raise that money, - just by taxing the residents, or by allowing in a commercial development, or by charging fees for access, or may be you plan to come into a huge inheritance and donate it all to the city, that's fine too. But it must be there.

Otherwise, this is just an air castle, and I am not voting for those.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
"The T&M plan documents the severe deficit in open space in Jersey City, comparing our land use to land use standards. The deficit has long been known, but this plan brings focus to the problem."

from - http://civicjc.org/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=21

I'll dig up a link to the final plan and link to it.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
im want the embankment to stay in place but to make it into another park? i think this city is taking building a park a little too the extreme, i think we have a great number of parks with still more parks being proposed to be built. Instead can it be a botanical garden or a small zoo where animals of that size can be kept, nothing like an elephant or such, but something along those lines. i like the current plan so its not to say its sucks.

It just seems that creativity for this city is really low, and this could allow for someone to come up with a rejuvenating idea for the city and to bring people into the city to"chill" instead of having them here only becuase they are on their way to ny. and having another park wont bring people here just to "chill"

Respectfully, read my posts at #427 and #431.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 21:25
Resized Image

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/8 14:56
Group:
Banned
im want the embankment to stay in place but to make it into another park? i think this city is taking building a park a little too the extreme, i think we have a great number of parks with still more parks being proposed to be built. Instead can it be a botanical garden or a small zoo where animals of that size can be kept, nothing like an elephant or such, but something along those lines. i like the current plan so its not to say its sucks.

It just seems that creativity for this city is really low, and this could allow for someone to come up with a rejuvenating idea for the city and to bring people into the city to"chill" instead of having them here only becuase they are on their way to ny. and having another park wont bring people here just to "chill"

Posted on: 2011/6/14 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, I just went and found who was in the lead and voted for them. Just about anything that will prevent the embankment from becoming an elevated park I will vote for (excluding high-rise condos).

Posted on: 2011/6/14 17:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 15:43
Group:
Registered Users
I just got word about this contest on Sunday. What a great contest! Lots of great projects to choose from, but to my mind this one seems to have the best organizational structure behind it and an actual plan to take a good idea from planning into an actual finished project. This has the potential to both preserve a historic infrastructure AND bring together a community like no other. There are parallels of course with the High Line in NYC. If we could translate even a tenth of the excitement and diversity of that project into downtown Jersey City, we would be much better off. Please vote and get the word out to your friends and family!!

Posted on: 2011/6/14 17:04

Community Challenge to win 25k for the EPC
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/6 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
THE EPC IS CURRENTLY RANKED #5 out of 100.... Keep the votes coming and spread the word. For instructions go to www.embankment.org

Help Us Win $25,000
for the Historic Harsimus Branch Embankment
and Make Our Park!
THIS PLACE MATTERS!
Community Challenge
WE NEED YOUR VOTE
The National Trust for Historic Preservation (NTHP) has selected the Embankment Preservation Coalition from 250 entrants for its "This Place Matters" Community Challenge. One hundred projects were chosen to compete for three top prizes of $25,000, $10,000, or $5,000. You can help us win a prize by giving us your vote!

Anyone with a valid email address may vote. You do not have to be a New Jersey resident.

To Vote for us, you must register with the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

How to Vote :
1) CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AND VOTE ? enter your email address and click ?Submit?. A password
will be instantly emailed to you - you may need it later.
2) On the list of sites that comes up, scroll down and click on Embankment Preservation Coalition - Harsimus
Branch Embankment.
3) On the Embankment page click on "Vote Now" to cast your vote.

IMPORTANT: Some browsers, do not enable the Vote Now button. If this happens to you:

> Close the browser. Then get the username and password emailed to you in step 1.
> When you have your username and password click here to LOG IN and VOTE EMBANKMENT ? login with your
email address and password and click on ?Vote Now? and you?re done!!

NOTE: **For multi-voter households - You must log out of the Embankment voting page before someone else can vote from your computer. Each email address may only vote once.

After you vote, be sure to spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, and personal emails to your friends and family.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 18:15

Re: Embankment & Taxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I looked at the few discussions about the embankment, and I do not think that making it a park is such a good idea.

Two reasons:

1. Park will require police presence and maintenance, - i.e., lots of money.

2. Park will mean extra car traffic, - or, alternatively, we will have to spend even more money building parking. And, if it will be underground, - some more money policing it.

I'd rather find some self-financing solution.

Like, yes, - let some developer build something there, - if he contracts to make the rest of the embankment a park, add public parking and maintain and police it.

Sure, we will not get 100% of the embankment for a park. But we will get some, no? If no, - why?

This argument could be made against ANY public amenity, including parks, whether or not they are elevated or not.

Posted on: 2011/6/9 13:42

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 27 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017