Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Jersey City's last CD/DVD/Record Store going out of business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting. I had no idea that was happening, although I would venture to say that probably wasn't too much of our business. That's just a first-reaction hunch, but shrug. How long where they open from and are they still there? You're talking about the place by the light rail stop with the Burger King near the post office?

Posted on: 2012/1/29 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the fact that a store on Martin Luther King Ave selling bootlegged/pirated CDs and DVDs (among other things) in a property owned by the Jersey City Redevelopment Authority - the one with the Extra Supermarket - was also a contributing factor to the demise of Supersounds. It certainly didn't help things. I don't know if that location (with no name posted on the door) selling the illegal materials is even there any more either, but the fact that it was at a property owned by the JCRA and my numerous calls to their offices didn't yield anything. I was basically ignored or told they didn't find anything and I should mind my own business.

When a store is allowed to sell bootlegged CDs and DVDs, it is not just the artists who lose out, it is small stores that sell legitimate merchandise that also lose out, not to mention the people who own and/or work in the smaller recording studios around the country. When album sales drop, the artists and their respected recording companies look to cut costs and use studios up in Canada or wherever it might be cheaper to do so. The lower rank-and-file that work in or own these studios or small stores (like Supersounds) in the USA lose out - it's not just the high-flying artists or the record company executives losing out.

I realize that a small store selling pirated CDs and DVDs is probably not high priority on law enforcement's list, but come on - this was going on at a property owned by a quasi-city agency. Of course, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised, this is Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 6:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Okay. But you contended that one of the reasons you're closing is because of the location. I get that. But if the business model is sound, it should be profitable in another location, right? If not, then maybe the business model isn't sound, and I, as well as others would contend, that it's primarily because of downloaders.

As far as tax writeoffs go, there could be a multitude of reasons that a corporate parent could keep open a branch that is losing. However, a tax write off is not one of them.

Losing money for a tax writeoff is giving someone $1 so that can give you back 25 cents (use whatever tax percentage you want). Tax writeoffs lessen the blow of a loss, but it's still a loss, and no one would prefer to have them or keep an unprofitable business open simply to generate them.

One of the reasons it is successful is the location, or rather what the location used to be. As a general demographic, physical media appeals to older people, less educated people and poorer people (often all 3) who don't own computers and/or know how to work them. This is something that Greenville has that many other sections don't have. We sell (sold. Well still sell) a ton of rap, r&b and gospel items - rock and pop are very small sellers, despite whatever they might be nationwide.

We cater to the neighborhood, and that was fine when the neighborhood had enough spare cash to go out to the mall. It doesn't anymore. Today is the nicest day of the month, 50 degrees and sunny on a Saturday. I've got about a 200 foot view from the angle I'm standing at. There's one person looking at the displays in the furniture store. Not another soul. Everyone's at Newport

I understand that. Again, I wasn't disputing that the location wasn't hurting the business.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
as far as the other stuff about profit and losses, if you really care, give me a private message, I'll answer it sometime this evening when I get home most likely.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Okay. But you contended that one of the reasons you're closing is because of the location. I get that. But if the business model is sound, it should be profitable in another location, right? If not, then maybe the business model isn't sound, and I, as well as others would contend, that it's primarily because of downloaders.

As far as tax writeoffs go, there could be a multitude of reasons that a corporate parent could keep open a branch that is losing. However, a tax write off is not one of them.

Losing money for a tax writeoff is giving someone $1 so that can give you back 25 cents (use whatever tax percentage you want). Tax writeoffs lessen the blow of a loss, but it's still a loss, and no one would prefer to have them or keep an unprofitable business open simply to generate them.

One of the reasons it is successful is the location, or rather what the location used to be. As a general demographic, physical media appeals to older people, less educated people and poorer people (often all 3) who don't own computers and/or know how to work them. This is something that Greenville has that many other sections don't have. We sell (sold. Well still sell) a ton of rap, r&b and gospel items - rock and pop are very small sellers, despite whatever they might be nationwide.

We cater to the neighborhood, and that was fine when the neighborhood had enough spare cash to go out to the mall. It doesn't anymore. Today is the nicest day of the month, 50 degrees and sunny on a Saturday. I've got about a 200 foot view from the angle I'm standing at. There's one person looking at the displays in the furniture store. Not another soul. Everyone's at Newport

Posted on: 2012/1/28 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:
You explained the problem with your current location, but what about other locations?

I don't think you understand tax writeoffs, either. Losing money to get a tax writeoff doesn't make sense.

The owner doesn't want to be in a non-mall location due to security reasons. Also moves cost a fair amount of money, and at this point, there's no sense in throwing good money after bad.

Quite frankly as to the other point, I'm just gonna hope you can read between the lines here. I know for a fact what overhead costs. I know what they sell and can make very educated guesses on how much of it they do sell. I know for a concrete fact that many stores here are not making overhead, much less any semblance of profit. I know why places like Radio Shack and New York & Co are still open - they're corporate, so one store losing rent isn't that big of a deal, just the store being open is an advertisement for the brand.

I'm sure you can make some really good guesses why a small store would stay open despite being a money drain. Figure it out.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You explained the problem with your current location, but what about other locations?

I don't think you understand tax writeoffs, either. Losing money to get a tax writeoff doesn't make sense.

The owner doesn't want to be in a non-mall location due to security reasons. Also moves cost a fair amount of money, and at this point, there's no sense in throwing good money after bad.

Quite frankly as to the other point, I'm just gonna hope you can read between the lines here. I know for a fact what overhead costs. I know what they sell and can make very educated guesses on how much of it they do sell. I know for a concrete fact that many stores here are not making overhead, much less any semblance of profit. I know why places like Radio Shack and New York & Co are still open - they're corporate, so one store losing rent isn't that big of a deal, just the store being open is an advertisement for the brand.

I'm sure you can make some really good guesses why a small store would stay open despite being a money drain. Figure it out.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

CSXrailfan wrote:
I guess I'll have to start going to the store at Hudson Mall, Jersey City's last last full time new and used music store?

uh... 'fraid I don't get the pun you're going for here, but ok.

Stillinjc: If the economy were better, we'd be doing just fine. Not fantastic, but we'd be making money. TONS of people were downloading just four or five years ago, and we were doing 3-4x the business we are now. There's no traffic here in this mall - it isn't just us.

My prediction on which other stores don't last the year, assuming the owners aren't just using the businesses as tax write-offs and don't care if it's losing money? The furniture store across from us, the men's store next to us, the boutique clothing store on the other side of us and the perfume store near the center of the mall.

None of those stores are affected by downloading, it's just that business is not good - people aren't shopping at this mall anymore. Combination of the neighborhood, poor public transportation compared to Newport, lack of destination stores, etc.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to hear the news. Funny it seems the Hudson Mall is slowly going back to its roots. It was one of the first (outside) strip malls in NJ with just one bank of stores. Seems like the one side is still surviving but with different stores. (hey anyone remember Martin Paints, Coles Bookstore, The rag/craft shop, and the all time classic The House of Meats???) Oldtimers remember how packed the HM used to be back in the day. There were times you would have to park behind the mall. Wow!

Yeah I could never understand how they let Old Navy get away with not having an interior entrance. I wonder whose idea that was? Was it the owners of the mall or maybe the interior clothing stores thought they would still have a steady stream of loyal customers and didn?t need the windows of Old Navy starring them in the face. Bad move all around. And now the same will happen with the moving of Staples.

I watch the shoppers park their cars and run into Old Navy shop and then run out to their cars and leave. I wonder if they know it is part of a mall. I am sure some of the youngsters would see something they like in Swag or Against All Odds(old name) if they at least set foot in the mall.

I am still waiting for the DTJC crew to start exploring the rest of JC and spent some of their money. There are some interesting stores in HM (and the rest of JC) go check them out.

Cory I am down there almost every weekend, I am not hard to spot. It seems I am the only Caucasian in the mall. Let?s mix it up a little people don?t be afraid to explore? JC is one of the most deverse cities in the world that?s what makes it great. (ok I will give you all a pass on exploring Journal Square that is one scary place hence the name J Scare!)

Posted on: 2012/1/28 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a copy of Point Break in the store, so I'm assuming you got it. Yes, the framed concert photos are 40% off.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Are the concert pictures on sale as well? And do you know if we still have a copy of Point Break there that we ordered or did we pick it up?

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No disrespect to Stan, but I wouldn't call his store one of JC's best kept secrets.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Sorry for the apparent confusion, I'm not sure how people got this out of it, but Stan's is still open - albeit rarely.
Supersounds, the store I work at, over in the Hudson Mall, is the one closing.
[edit] Meh, I re-read that, and I guess I can see why someone would think that. Sorry again.

Hey HobbiesOdd now's your chance to spin your records where you mouth is, well at least you didn't loose out on another cool J.C. best kept secret.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for the apparent confusion, I'm not sure how people got this out of it, but Stan's is still open - albeit rarely.

Supersounds, the store I work at, over in the Hudson Mall, is the one closing.

[edit] Meh, I re-read that, and I guess I can see why someone would think that. Sorry again.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/3 3:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I only heard bout Stan's like a month ago, and was making plans to go this is sad.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:22
and the Beat goes on...

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HobbiesOdd wrote:
This is terrible news - not only because an independent record store is going out of business, but also because I've been living in Downtown for five years and never knew of its existence. I have been buying all my vinyl from NYC shops and occasionally Iris (when they're open). If I had know about Stan's I surely would have been a regular. F**king bummer.

Let this be a lesson of all things Jersey City. Life isn't just in the section you live in. I was aware of that shop but lost sight of it over the years. Lee Sims Chocolates candy shop is just a few doors away a great stop for a quick pick me up or a box of chocolates which is what life is all about.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 19:38
Group:
Registered Users
This is terrible news - not only because an independent record store is going out of business, but also because I've been living in Downtown for five years and never knew of its existence. I have been buying all my vinyl from NYC shops and occasionally Iris (when they're open). If I had know about Stan's I surely would have been a regular. F**king bummer.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSXrailfan wrote:
I guess I'll have to start going to the store at Hudson Mall, Jersey City's last last full time new and used music store?

uh... 'fraid I don't get the pun you're going for here, but ok.

Stillinjc: If the economy were better, we'd be doing just fine. Not fantastic, but we'd be making money. TONS of people were downloading just four or five years ago, and we were doing 3-4x the business we are now. There's no traffic here in this mall - it isn't just us.

My prediction on which other stores don't last the year, assuming the owners aren't just using the businesses as tax write-offs and don't care if it's losing money? The furniture store across from us, the men's store next to us, the boutique clothing store on the other side of us and the perfume store near the center of the mall.

None of those stores are affected by downloading, it's just that business is not good - people aren't shopping at this mall anymore. Combination of the neighborhood, poor public transportation compared to Newport, lack of destination stores, etc.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Cory, respectfully, I am not sure that the imminent demise of the store is due to the economy.

More likely it is due to the digital media, Netflix, etc.

Anyhow, I encourage everyone to check out the sale.

There could be some bargains to be had. Look for out-of-print or rare items.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/1/28 14:50

Jersey City's last CD/DVD/Record Store going out of business
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello folks. As some of you are aware from other posts I've made, I work at Jersey City's last full-time new and used music (and movie) store. Stan's at McGinley Sq. is open twice a week, and he doesn't do dvd's and blu rays to my knowledge. Iris doesn't do new items or special orders if I recall correctly. Supersounds over at the Hudson Mall has been around (formerly Wow Records) for close to 30 years, and well, the Hudson Mall just has no traffic anymore.

A post was put up a few days ago about Greenville being the weakest link in the JC chain, and while I don't fully agree with everything that person stated, (s)he's got a very valid point - that neighborhood is doing very poorly. The recession hit the area very hard, as it always does to the working class, and let's face it, a lot of what you'd get at a mall is kind of a luxury compared to many other places. Marshalls is at that center and is a discount spot, but the way the mall is built, the other nearby business don't get any foot traffic out of it. Old Navy has some cheap duds, but why would you turn around and go to the Diamond Hut from there or look at the furniture store?

Shrug.

Anyway, gripes and background about the area aside, we're amongst the many stores that just aren't making it. After 30 years of business, we're going to be shutting our doors in about a week - tentative closing date is the 1st - but we may be open a couple days past that. We've got a huge going out of business sale at the moment, with pretty much everything in the store on sale.

New Release DVDs and Blurays (from the past 3 or so months only) are the only thing not on sale. All CDs, vinyl, posters, regular stock dvds, adult dvds, martial arts dvds, mix cds, used items, etc. etc. etc. are 30-70% off. If anyone has any questions about what we might have in stock, (201)332-8888. We're open from 11-7 on Sunday and 10-9 every other day.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 5:22

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017