Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 2 reported killed in car crash in Downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad no one is calling this an accident because it was not, it was murder. This dope addict took out 2 useful lives. 2 family men, with careers, one had a 4 year old son the other a daughter in a university. 2 men, who made worth while contributions in our world. 2 men, one going to work the other coming home from work. Such a loss that while in the headlines will be on our minds. Unfortunately when this blows over we will go on with our lives and something similar like this will probably occur again.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
If the red light cameras and speed traps alerted police immediately to a really dangerous driver, I'd be a huge fan. Do they?

Posted on: 2012/1/22 21:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/22 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
snowflake20 wrote:
Nothing could have prevented this tragedyNo amount of cameras or speed bumps would have stopped this guy from taking drugs and excessively speeding in the streets of JC. If it wouldn't have happened on Grand Street, it would have been on Montgomery or Columbus or any number of streets in downtown.

I probably agree with you. Nothing can be done that will stop 100% of reckless driving or crime in general. The proposed measures may not have stopped this particular horrible incident. But it _is_ possible to significantly improve the situation.

We can't let "the perfect is the enemy of the good" -Voltaire

Posted on: 2012/1/22 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:
Quote:
Color me confused, but would any of these suggestions prevent what happened?

Certainly no guarantees.

We have a culture problem and poor enforcement of laws only reinforces this issue. Said differently, the driver was almost certainly a long-time repeat offender and believed he could get away with reckless--after all he probably thought it was fun. If he had been caught multiple times in the past due to greater enforcement, he would most likely have driven more reasonably to avoid getting caught again, or have lost his license, or have been off the streets and in jail.

More broadly, greater enforcement would improve the overall safety of the city and while it might not have avoided this one horrible event, the overall safety of the city would improve.

The driver DID have a suspended license.

Nothing could have prevented this tragedy. No amount of cameras or speed bumps would have stopped this guy from taking drugs and excessively speeding in the streets of JC. If it wouldn't have happened on Grand Street, it would have been on Montgomery or Columbus or any number of streets in downtown.

This whole thing is horrible and I hope that guy never sees the light of day. It is heartbreaking and has been heavy on my mind the last few days. I think it's easy for everyone to point their fingers at our inept government and say that this could have been prevented because of x, y or z. Could Grand Street be laid out better? Sure it could, but that wouldn't have stopped a guy with a suspended license to take drugs and speed down the road and kill two innocent men.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
and have auxiliary/parking authority cops during rush hour at the stop signs to bang out tickets for not making a complete stop. They could also check registrations. Ticket those that are too close to the intersection or block the box.
With the city taxing the hell out of property owners this seems like a no brainer to draw up revenue and send a message not to drive like an @sshole through JC.

An auxiliary cop and the Parking Authority cannot issue moving violation tickets.

How about Police Chief Comey? When he's lounging in front of headquarters, watching people blow through the stop sign on Bay Street, does he have the authority to put down his cigarette and issue a ticket?

Posted on: 2012/1/22 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
and have auxiliary/parking authority cops during rush hour at the stop signs to bang out tickets for not making a complete stop. They could also check registrations. Ticket those that are too close to the intersection or block the box.
With the city taxing the hell out of property owners this seems like a no brainer to draw up revenue and send a message not to drive like an @sshole through JC.

An auxiliary cop and the Parking Authority cannot issue moving violation tickets.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:
Quote:

Certainly no guarantees.

We have a culture problem and poor enforcement of laws only reinforces this issue. Said differently, the driver was almost certainly a long-time repeat offender and believed he could get away with reckless--after all he probably thought it was fun. If he had been caught multiple times in the past due to greater enforcement, he would most likely have driven more reasonably to avoid getting caught again, or have lost his license, or have been off the streets and in jail.

More broadly, greater enforcement would improve the overall safety of the city and while it might not have avoided this one horrible event, the overall safety of the city would improve.

Exactly! Low levels of enforcement have led to an "anything goes" culture here. We all see the unpicked low hanging fruit, the corners where there's an infraction every 2 minutes, the cars with plates obscured with those deliberately hazy plastic covers, the illegally dark tinted windows. We apparently don't have the money for enforcement because cops (like the JCPA) aren't productive enough at ticketing to pay their own salaries. So cams are the way to go, perfect thought they might not be.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mr_bunny wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

mr_bunny wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I've been told at the Heights police captain's meeting that there are not enough police officers to go around, that it would spread the force thin to cover every infraction pattern out there. Plus their jurisdiction only allow them certain levels of enforcement. The halls of justice are only as strong as it's weakest link.

I think the weak link is the JC public accepting that same old story from JCPD that there is nothing that they can do, not enough resources.

Then why aren't we inviting red light and speeding cam operators to set up more locations here? Enforcement plus cashflow to city with zero outlay. Seems like a no brainer. The contract and implementation just needs to be made to prioritize enforcement rather than cashflow. There should be signs at every major road entrance to JC: "traffic laws enforced by radar cameras", so everyone knows and it's not a "gotcha".

Yes, Yes... That is easy. Outside contractors would love to get the contracts. They and the city can rake it in and put down control over the major streets and intersections. It is also good to get REAL cops pulling people over, but they can't do it because they are too overworked and underpaid. (yea right)

I've been saying this for years. Put red light cameras on every major intersection, speed bumps at stop signs, and have auxiliary/parking authority cops during rush hour at the stop signs to bang out tickets for not making a complete stop. They could also check registrations. Ticket those that are too close to the intersection or block the box.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 15:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Certainly no guarantees.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/22 8:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 7:43
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

mr_bunny wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I've been told at the Heights police captain's meeting that there are not enough police officers to go around, that it would spread the force thin to cover every infraction pattern out there. Plus their jurisdiction only allow them certain levels of enforcement. The halls of justice are only as strong as it's weakest link.

I think the weak link is the JC public accepting that same old story from JCPD that there is nothing that they can do, not enough resources.

Then why aren't we inviting red light and speeding cam operators to set up more locations here? Enforcement plus cashflow to city with zero outlay. Seems like a no brainer. The contract and implementation just needs to be made to prioritize enforcement rather than cashflow. There should be signs at every major road entrance to JC: "traffic laws enforced by radar cameras", so everyone knows and it's not a "gotcha".

Yes, Yes... That is easy. Outside contractors would love to get the contracts. They and the city can rake it in and put down control over the major streets and intersections. It is also good to get REAL cops pulling people over, but they can't do it because they are too overworked and underpaid. (yea right)

Posted on: 2012/1/22 0:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Having lived in Hoboken for a dozen years, prior to moving to JC, I can tell you that no one in the know illegally parks too close to the crosswalks - traffic tickets and booting raise revenue there.

I wish that we could hire additional staff to enforce parking rules - I nose my car into cross walks as I often can't see past the cars parked right up to the stop signs.

In HP, everyday I see Parking Authority 'Interceptors' simply pass by cars parked up to or in the crosswalks. Why don't they ticket? They seem to be only concerned with cars that don't move for street cleaning. Must be some sort of orders from higher up.

Posted on: 2012/1/22 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
..... aaaaaaaand, as predicted, the Grove & Grand intersection now has a "Your Speed Is..." sign.

Oh, and the only positive thing to come out of this situation is the downed traffic light. The cars took out the old light. The new lights--for some reason--have sat for years covered in a black tarp. One new light (the light facing east/west on Grand) is now operating. How's that for progress?

Posted on: 2012/1/22 0:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

@ Brewster ~ full agreement. Now what do we have to do to make this happen?

Posted on: 2012/1/21 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mr_bunny wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2012/1/21 21:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Officers stationed at hotspots doing traffic enforcement could probably easily recover their overtime pay in the fines they collect. Set a speed threshold (10 mph over limit or something) and ticket EVERYONE going above that speed. Have a few crackdowns a year... maybe people will largely become afraid to drive like morons for fear of getting a ticket. Probably catch a few fugitives and get some illegal drugs/weapons off the street at the same time.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
by heights on 2012/1/21 15:11:36 I've been told at the Heights police captain's meeting that there are not enough police officers to go around, that it would spread the force thin to cover every infraction pattern out there. Plus their jurisdiction only allow them certain levels of enforcement. The halls of justice are only as strong as it's weakest link.

Your point is valid, however cameras mounted atop traffic lights wouldn't interfere with police coverage.

Having lived in Hoboken for a dozen years, prior to moving to JC, I can tell you that no one in the know illegally parks too close to the crosswalks - traffic tickets and booting raise revenue there.

I wish that we could hire additional staff to enforce parking rules - I nose my car into cross walks as I often can't see past the cars parked right up to the stop signs.

I am so sorry for the families affected by this tragedy. My hope is that these deaths will bring about lasting change for the better in our community.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 21:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From HPJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2012/1/21 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/21 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Andy wrote:
> It's not so wild at 25 mph.

Read Joshua Parkhurst's excellent email further above in this thread.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 19:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a huge issue and one of my biggest issues with living in JC. Its sooo dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers.

I\'ve been clipped twice as a pedestrian in the past year on Marin and Columbus by drivers ignoring pedestrians in the cross walk.

I live at in intersection with stop signs in all directions. Every day there are dozens of cars blazing through the intersections and we have multiple accidents per year.

Weekly on my walk to work, I see cars running red lights, not slowing down but instead accelerating through the light.

Weekly on my walk to work, I see cars driving around cars in front of them into both oncoming traffic, or the right parking lanes because the car in front is obeying traffic signals (lights, stop sights, yielding to pedestrians). One of the times that I was clipped was because of this.

I\'ve had some correspondences with Fulop on this and he is sympathetic but its a much larger issue and requires many things. In my opinion:

- We should have speed bumps at every stop sign. Stop signs are regularly ignored and cars go _much_ too fast on the side streets. This would at least keep the speeds down.

- We should have cameras on all traffic lights. The cameras should enforce running red lights, right turn on red without stopping, and not yielding to pedestrians in the cross walk. If this can also help with speeding so much the better.

- We should have high police presence for speeding, reckless driving, and yes driving while using a cell phone.

- Through traffic from the highway through downtown JC to the tunnel should not be allowed. Cameras on the exits from the highway and on the right turns into the tunnel could match plates and issue tickets. This alone would dramatically improve the situation along Columbus.

None of these proposals are new and have been discussed in the past. Some on JC list always shoot them down for various reasons such as \"tickets are just a way to increase revenues\", \"it would increase accidents because xxx\", and such.

There\'s always someone arguing it\'s the cost of living in a city. I\'ve lived / worked in center city Philadelphia, Manhattan, Hoboken, downtown Boston, downtown London, and Queens. JC is _much_ worse. I\'ve never been scared to cross the streets until coming to JC a few years ago.

Every reason that I\'ve read is just a rationalization to justify selfish, reckless and dangerous driving that has become habitual to far too many residents in JC. I have no compassion for those arguments.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 18:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to call for a state inspection of Grand street, I suspect that wild veer to the left cannot be up to standards and code.

Robin.

It's not so wild at 25 mph.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if there is a way to call for a state inspection of Grand street, I suspect that wild veer to the left cannot be up to standards and code.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 13:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/26 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
I just returned from a short trip to the A&P and encountered three separate instances of drivers making insane and dangerous moves. All three involved an impatient driver who swerved around the car in front of him because that car was obeying the law or being courteous to someone else. All three of these drivers put themselves and others at risk to save MAYBE 10 seconds which usually just got them to the next stop light one car sooner.

The police need to crack down on lawless driving around here. That's a much bigger cause of danger than the width of streets.

the best proven solution to crack down on traffic issues, is calming traffic ; this is a combination of most suggestions noted here...and more, there is not a single solution that will really help on its own but the different methods combined will make a change! The city needs to hear from everyone on this matter...call, email and complain - and send them your suggestions!! Joe DeSouza is the Director JC of Traffic and Engineering. (201) 547-4470.

I am looking into starting a petition also, join me on my JC street safety page for news

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey- ... 06524533?sk=wall&filter=1

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/26 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
I spent the summer in physical therapy for carpal tunnel in both hands. While there and feeling somewhat sorry for myself I met a woman who had been struck by a tow truck on 2nd and Newark. Returned home that same summer night to learn that my neighbor and her young son had been struck by a car on 4th Street. Incredibly humbling reality check, right? Carpal tunnel is now gone ~ these other folks have ongoing issues.

Have seen a car/month drive the wrong way down 6th Street, where I live. With a young baby in a stroller, I walk our streets with trepidation ~ few drivers ever pause while we're in the crosswalks and many will speed up and swerve around. My heart is in my throat whenever I need to cross Marin Blvd to go to BB&B or Shop Rite.

My mother lives in Brick, NJ where cameras were installed on two traffic lights in 2010. The city raised $500,000 in automatically generated tickets at those intersections. I often find myself wishing that we might lobby to have cameras installed here also. JC could use both the revenue and safety net that cameras would provide. Who should I reach out to in order to make this happen?

http://brick.patch.com/articles/red-l ... ed-more-than-500k-in-2010

that would be an excellent solution...the man to bring all our complaints too is Joe DeSouza, Director JC of Traffic and Engineering. (201) 547-4470. He needs to hear from everyone on this matter! I am looking to start a petition, join my page for more info and let me know if you want to help spread the word!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey- ... 06524533?sk=wall&filter=1

Posted on: 2012/1/21 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Anybody catch the old timer driving on the light rail tracks at exchange place around 6:30? Literally drove right through the tonnelle ave train route, don't even know how his car fit through that area.

I saw some truck do that on essex street

Posted on: 2012/1/21 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Anybody catch the old timer driving on the light rail tracks at exchange place around 6:30? Literally drove right through the tonnelle ave train route, don't even know how his car fit through that area.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 4:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

purjed wrote:
Does anyone know if anything has been set up in terms of a charitable foundation to help these families?

Fuller was a night manager at the Shoprite on Marin. They have setup a fundraiser for his family.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... plans_fundraiser_for.html

Posted on: 2012/1/21 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I spent the summer in physical therapy for carpal tunnel in both hands. While there and feeling somewhat sorry for myself I met a woman who had been struck by a tow truck on 2nd and Newark. Returned home that same summer night to learn that my neighbor and her young son had been struck by a car on 4th Street. Incredibly humbling reality check, right? Carpal tunnel is now gone ~ these other folks have ongoing issues.

Have seen a car/month drive the wrong way down 6th Street, where I live. With a young baby in a stroller, I walk our streets with trepidation ~ few drivers ever pause while we're in the crosswalks and many will speed up and swerve around. My heart is in my throat whenever I need to cross Marin Blvd to go to BB&B or Shop Rite.

My mother lives in Brick, NJ where cameras were installed on two traffic lights in 2010. The city raised $500,000 in automatically generated tickets at those intersections. I often find myself wishing that we might lobby to have cameras installed here also. JC could use both the revenue and safety net that cameras would provide. Who should I reach out to in order to make this happen?

http://brick.patch.com/articles/red-l ... ed-more-than-500k-in-2010

Posted on: 2012/1/21 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just returned from a short trip to the A&P and encountered three separate instances of drivers making insane and dangerous moves. All three involved an impatient driver who swerved around the car in front of him because that car was obeying the law or being courteous to someone else. All three of these drivers put themselves and others at risk to save MAYBE 10 seconds which usually just got them to the next stop light one car sooner.

The police need to crack down on lawless driving around here. That's a much bigger cause of danger than the width of streets.

Posted on: 2012/1/21 0:22
I live by the river.

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017