Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: RALLY against STATE for interfering in Superintendent Search!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/19 11:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the state has run Jersey City's schools for more than 20 years (since 1989) and Dr. Epps was the state appointed superintendent. It is certainly questionable whether state control was a success. if you believe that the Dr. Epps had "run things into the ground", than you might have some common ground with those that have had enough.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

riazw wrote:
RALLY - 9am Tuesday (1/17) in front of School Board, 346 Claremont Ave! Bring signs... We need slogans for signs! Take few hours off from work. This is about our KIDS!

Considering how helpless the school board has been, considering how Epps managed to run things into the ground and considering the overall academic performance of the Jersey City schools, I only hope the state interferes with the school district as much as possible in the coming years.

I realize that this isn't the same as a state takeover, but why do school districts fight state takeovers like it is a bad thing? If the state takes over a school district, won't it receive nonstop attention from the state and get the help it desperately needs? Or do the teachers, school board and administration value their autonomy more so than they value the welfare of the kids?

How did the rally go, anyway? I went to work, as I planned to do.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
RALLY - 9am Tuesday (1/17) in front of School Board, 346 Claremont Ave! Bring signs... We need slogans for signs! Take few hours off from work. This is about our KIDS!

Considering how helpless the school board has been, considering how Epps managed to run things into the ground and considering the overall academic performance of the Jersey City schools, I only hope the state interferes with the school district as much as possible in the coming years.

I realize that this isn't the same as a state takeover, but why do school districts fight state takeovers like it is a bad thing? If the state takes over a school district, won't it receive nonstop attention from the state and get the help it desperately needs? Or do the teachers, school board and administration value their autonomy more so than they value the welfare of the kids?

How did the rally go, anyway? I went to work, as I planned to do.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Near as I can tell, the person that is being appointed by the state has a poor reputation for her (their?) tactics of evaluation. They are protesting the appointment that apparently the city (or some of the people who want someone else for superintendent) doesn't want.

That's my guess anyway.

In any event, I passed by them on the way to work - ten or so folks outside the BoE chanting that James Goyder should step down, etc.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Uh...thanks? I was eager to read that link and in the first paragraph I was thinking to myself "ah, at last I will now be able to understand this issue"and the article started off well but by the 1/3 point I was lost and by the end I knew only what I already knew: The situation is controversial. So I'm going to ask AGAIN if someone out there will explain, like they were talking to a five year old, exactly what the issues are. So for example, language like ..." school reform tends to mean emphasizing transparency and good governance rather than choice and accountability.".... is not very helpful since to me the distinction between the two points of view is not clear. I guess I would need it explained to me like I was five what the opposing forces already stand for and why they find the opposing view such a threat, and what exactly is being threatened by whatever mysterious changes are in the works. I THINK everyone is glad that Epps is out of the picture but this isn't clear in the article either. Maybe the person exhorting me to take off work in order to protest would deign to explain it?

Posted on: 2012/1/17 23:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
This may be asking too much of this forum, but can someone here give me a NON BIASED breakdown of the issues at play here? Explain to me like I am five years old what the problem is with the State of New Jersey appointing someone and why it is a good or a bad thing. I'm certain there are two sides to this issue and it would be great if some informed person could lay it all out. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/1/17 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:

Take off a few hours from work? On the morning after a holiday? In case you don't know, at many places of employment you HAVE to show up the day before & the day after a holiday. The only exclusions are pre-approved day off, doctor's note or death.

Good luck though.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:

"Should have voted on November 4th, 2009" would be a good start.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 6:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City parents plan to protest appointment of former school official to act as state monitor

Published: Monday, January 16, 2012, 4:03 PM Updated: Monday, January 16, 2012, 4:33 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A group of activist Jersey City parents plan to protest in front of the Board of Education office tomorrow, in part because of the state?s recent decision to bring in a controversial former school administrator to act as a state monitor.

The Jersey Journal revealed on Friday that Cathy Coyle, a former district associate superintendent, will re-join the district, possibly to oversee personnel and curriculum/instruction. Coyle is infamous for her participation in the so-called ?SWAT teams? that showed up at schools unannounced to evaluate teachers.

A local group, Statewide Education Organizing Committee, is calling Coyle?s appointment a ?state takeover? that will interfere with the education of Jersey City students.
"We demand on Tuesday that Governor Christie stop stealing our children?s educational future by imposing his view of privatization of public schools!? reads a release issued by the group.

The protest is scheduled to begin tomorrow at 9 a.m. at the BOE office, 346 Claremont Ave.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_parents_plan_to_pr.html

Posted on: 2012/1/16 22:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
can you give us a little more info about this,you are telling people to take a few hours off from work?what can be that important for people to take off from work.who can afford to take off from work?rediculous.people have to feed their kids,not take off from work

Posted on: 2012/1/14 23:56

RALLY against STATE for interfering in Superintendent Search!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/14 20:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017