Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come near the Grove Station!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
Trade Joe's, as much as I love it, will only increase my already under-market rent. I'm content with Tendershoot. Trader Joe's can stay in Manhattan as far as I'm concerned and keep my rent cheap.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't have a car, but whatever.

Hi, I'm Biscuit.

Now you know somebody in downtown JC without a car.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I prefer going to TJ/WF in Millburn/Vauxhall. They are close to each other and right off I78. It's much faster as you take the interstate all the way. Driving through Hoboken is real pain while going to Edgewater. Only issue is the tolls on the turnpike have almost doubled starting this year.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
if you have NETFLIX you must watch the movie''DIVE''its about all the good food that the supermarkets throw out every day,and the people who live eating out of the dumpsters.Trader Joes is featured in this movie,all the good food that is thrown out.Trader Joes is not really a good place to spend money.it caters to the lazy yuppie mentality,people who go to a gym yet cannot walk two blocks.cooking is something that has disappeared from the lives of these empty people chasing a dream they will never realize.fresh direct also caters to peoples laziness.my suggestion is walk to the independent fruit stores,smaller shops,go home ,cook yourself some fresh food.relax and eat it,dont tell me you dont have time,you are working too much to pay for your cable tv,internet on your phone,new car etc.you have been trapped,you look tired,you buy garbage processed food,stress will shorten your life.simplify your life,the downtown women of jersey city look years older than they are,I see them on the path on the weekends,pallad tired with no glow.

i'm watching it now :)

Posted on: 2012/1/13 7:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Err snowflake...I guess you are one of the lucky ones who don't have to deal with people who don't have cars...errrr yeah. :)

Posted on: 2012/1/13 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
.... Grove Street near the Path Station and next to Dunkin Donuts and Duane Reade, I don't think so.

The foot traffic alone has a tight place..... unlike NYC and Jersey suburbs.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

I honestly don?t know anyone who doesn?t know anyone who doesn?t have a car, but what-everrr.

I know tons of people who do not have a car, and many of these people have children/families.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
I'll have to work on my mind reading and reading between the lines abilities so that I can interpret your posts.
I shop at all three stores WH, TJs and Mtisuwa weekly, its a 20 minute drive from JC.

It may be 20 minutes on a good day which is rare. I hate driving up and through the North Hudson area it's jammed with bumper to bumper traffic. One Saturday biking yes biking on River Rd. through Edgewater it was like a parking lot. I had to weave in and out just to keep moving forward, glad I don't live up there. As far as the 3 stores mentioned they do differ from each other. One is a discount gormet packaged goods store, the other is an Asian/ typical supermarket, and Whole Foods is a fancy/pricey/organic market. TJ's would be the best bet providing some unique items that you can't normaly get that you would at the other 2 stores mentioned as well as the major supermarkets and Morton Williams included.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I assumed people would know that the TJs and Mitsuwa both in Edgewater are a minute walk from each other. Also, whether i go to the TJs in Edgewater or the ones in NYC both can take up too an hour and a half each way. Because i don't have a car and because of the weekend schedule for light rail, Path and NJ transit bus. The bus being the worse in terms of being on schedule especially in the evening.

You definitely should double check if its possible to get to TJs and Mitsuwa as i have described....yeah know just in case. Good looking out and all 07310.

I'll have to work on my mind reading and reading between the lines abilities so that I can interpret your posts.
I shop at all three stores WH, TJs and Mtisuwa weekly, its a 20 minute drive from JC.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

I honestly don?t know anyone who doesn?t know anyone who doesn?t have a car, but what-everrr.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I assumed people would know that the TJs and Mitsuwa both in Edgewater are a minute walk from each other. Also, whether i go to the TJs in Edgewater or the ones in NYC both can take up too an hour and a half each way. Because i don't have a car and because of the weekend schedule for light rail, Path and NJ transit bus. The bus being the worse in terms of being on schedule especially in the evening.

You definitely should double check if its possible to get to TJs and Mitsuwa as i have described....yeah know just in case. Good looking out and all 07310.

Snowflake, I said Bayonne. Oh yeah!

A few things worth noting about this:

1. Sadly, the Hudson Bergen Light Rail doesn't actually go into Bergen County, but had it continued up the coast into Edgewater, not only would you have a direct route to the TJs, but all that traffic on River Road would also have an alternative.

2. Remember that service on the HBLR got far worse, especially on weekends, when Christie stuck it NJ Transit.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Snowflake, I said Bayonne. Oh yeah!

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
"Why are you spending an hour and half to go to Edgewater when you can take the PATH to 23rd st a 15-20 min trip where there is a Trader Joes 21st & 7th and Whole Foods 24th & 7th, a few blocks away from the 23rd st station?"

For the person who stated the above quote, i am not sure if you read all my messages for this thread.

I go to the Edgewater TJs cause i get to hit up Mitsuwa as well. And many times I have gone to the city for TJs. But i only have time on the weekends for shopping and no car....as part of my options . It can also take alot of time. Remember on the Weekend the Path always goes to Hoboken first. And depending on the time...you have to wait for the Path a good 40 mins. And even before all that I have to take the Light Rail to the Path station.

You should re read your own message (post #93) there is no mention of shopping at Mitsuwa you only mention shopping at TJs.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/3 14:48
Group:
Registered Users
YOu didn't have none of this crap before, what's the big deal? What's wrong with a good old peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch? I don't get this tofu oriental chai whatever, where did this crap come from? If you ask me you can get anything you could ever possibly want to eat at pathmark or shop rite (anyone remember grand union?) or any of those places.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Cars are only one part of the factor. So maybe I assumed that most people in DTJC have a car. It might be half or a little more than half or a little less than half. Either way, a TJs and WF would probably want to support the JC/Hoboken and/or Bayonne community, which would necessitate a parking lot. They probably look at HHI as well and JC's wealth probably doesn't outweigh the poverty.

Judging from where TJs have stores, they like to target MC/UMC communities. Look at the list of stores on their website....none of the towns are what you would really call "mixed income" imo. They are in major citiies and their surrounding wealthy suburban communities.

Whoever said Bayonne is probably right. Bayonne has a bunch of new shopping centers and maybe one of those grocery stores will open up in that community someday.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jesus I don?t want you yuppies to starve to death!!! God forbid you buy food at a lowly supermarket in JC. You might happen to actually bump into the likes of me! Yuck! I see a lot of you walking around like skeletons. (ok but some of you REALLY need to lay off of the craft beer and greasy take out and hit the gym! YOU know who you are, look in the mirror)

Please get together and send some information about DTJC (or Bayonne) to ALDI headquarters asap?before you waste away to nothingness!!!!! (I heard Aldi is owned by the same folks that brought you TJ?s..right?)

Innovative retailer seeks space for smart shoppers.

With over 1,100 stores in 31 states, ALDI is always looking for new places to continue our aggressive expansion plans, and we?re looking for the best locations available. We are very particular about our locations, because we choose them based on factors that translate into savings for our customers.

Today, ALDI is moving into growing areas and winning awards ? like the 2011 Hot Retailer Award Winner from the International Council of Shopping Centers. Every year, the ICSC recognizes retailers creating unique and exciting experiences to draw consumers into shopping centers around the world.

If you currently have or know of an available location that meets the criteria below and would like to submit it for consideration, please mail or email the information requested below directly to the contact person in your region.

1. Site plan
2. Property boundary information
3. City map with property marked on the map
4. Your contact information
5. If available, aerial photography

Specific location criteria:

 Development lots or pads preferred ? will purchase, lease or ground lease
 Lot size should be 2.0 acres or larger for development lots
16,476 square feet buildings with a minimum of 85 dedicated parking spaces
 Inline or end-cap space also considered - 112' 4 frontage, 137'4 depth preferred
 Signalized, full-access intersection preferred
 Trade area population of 35,000+ within 3 miles, cities of 20,000+, counties of 40,000+
 Sites located in community and regional shopping districts with convenient access to population
 Sites zoned to allow grocery use

http://aldi.us/us/html/company/compan ... pportunities_ENU_HTML.htm

Posted on: 2012/1/12 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Why are you spending an hour and half to go to Edgewater when you can take the PATH to 23rd st a 15-20 min trip where there is a Trader Joes 21st & 7th and Whole Foods 24th & 7th, a few blocks away from the 23rd st station?"

For the person who stated the above quote, i am not sure if you read all my messages for this thread.

I go to the Edgewater TJs cause i get to hit up Mitsuwa as well. And many times I have gone to the city for TJs. But i only have time on the weekends for shopping and no car....as part of my options . It can also take alot of time. Remember on the Weekend the Path always goes to Hoboken first. And depending on the time...you have to wait for the Path a good 40 mins. And even before all that I have to take the Light Rail to the Path station.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
if you have NETFLIX you must watch the movie''DIVE''its about all the good food that the supermarkets throw out every day,and the people who live eating out of the dumpsters.Trader Joes is featured in this movie,all the good food that is thrown out.Trader Joes is not really a good place to spend money.it caters to the lazy yuppie mentality,people who go to a gym yet cannot walk two blocks.cooking is something that has disappeared from the lives of these empty people chasing a dream they will never realize.fresh direct also caters to peoples laziness.my suggestion is walk to the independent fruit stores,smaller shops,go home ,cook yourself some fresh food.relax and eat it,dont tell me you dont have time,you are working too much to pay for your cable tv,internet on your phone,new car etc.you have been trapped,you look tired,you buy garbage processed food,stress will shorten your life.simplify your life,the downtown women of jersey city look years older than they are,I see them on the path on the weekends,pallad tired with no glow.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Regarding TJs targeting affluence - I don't understand why. TJs is extremely affordable, and I would say the vast majority of their clientele is middle class. The average resident of downtown JC is their target clientele ... the question would be, are there enough people to warrant having a store here.

A German friend who once worked for TJ's parent company once told me that it isn't so much affluence they target as college educated. And no, the numbers, just aren't there for downtown JC. Given their pricing, it's a pretty low-margin business, so the volume required to turn a profit would be pretty formidable.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Heck, I'd settle for a D'agostino or Fairway. They seem to be able to operate without parking. We already have Shoprite, PathMark and A&P for bulk weekly/bi-weekly staple stuff.

Oh fer fark's sake, stop with the analogy - it's so full of holes. First of all, you CANNOT compare Manhattan retailing with non-Manhattan. Home Depot operates just fine without parking in Manhattan as well. This doesn't mean HD will open up retail outlets outside of Manhattan without parking - they won't even do that in Queens. They even stock that store differently from any other HD in the country. Ditto with Bed, Bath & Beyond. Manhattan is just a different beast in terms of population density and the concentration of affluence. All these retailers, I'm sure, have smart people crunching the numbers and as much as we in our little yuppie enclave of JC want places like WF and TJ's to open, it ain't gonna happen any time soon due to three factors: 1) the demographics just aren't there; 2) the availability of the type of space they would need is limited, because no big retailer would be dumb enough to use a Manhattan retailing model outside of Manhattan; and 3) no one wants to deal with JC's dysfunctional government .

Like someone said, if you really need TJ's stuff that badly, 23rd St is 15 mins away on the PATH and from there, it's 2 short blocks to the store. Quicker than the Edgewater schlep. I do it all the time, and swing by Eataly while I'm out there as well.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
First of all, I'd guess that less than half of downtown JC residents drive. Look at your average brownstone street. There is room for about 1-1.5 cars in front of each brownstone. How many residents live in a full brownstone, on average - 4? 5? I don't think THAT many people keep a car in a private off street parking space.

Regarding TJs targeting affluence - I don't understand why. TJs is extremely affordable, and I would say the vast majority of their clientele is middle class. The average resident of downtown JC is their target clientele ... the question would be, are there enough people to warrant having a store here.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Sorry, you can argue with me all you want but no TJs or WF will open in NJ unless it has dedicated parking. Who said I spoke for everyone? I said MOST DTJC residents have a car, not all. I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't have a car, but whatever. Also who is TJs and WF targeting? Middle class to UMC shoppers and aspirational shoppers. Also, shoppers who buy groceries for a whole family (more money that they need to spend to feed their family) The majority of these people have cars and wouldn't shop at a grocery store for MAJOR grocery shopping unless there is parking.

A large grocery chain like TJS or WF want their customers to go regularly and drop a bunch of money every week. Occasional shopping is not desirable for these stores. Think about the rent they'll have to pay for a large store in this city. This is the same reason why retail chain stores like The Gap won't open up in Hoboken.

While I agree that TJs and WF are unlikely to open without dedicated parking, I think you are wrong with your analysis as to why. Primarily, the obstacle they have is corporate policy.

I think you are very wrong in asserting that most downtown households have a car, and not for a lack of money either, but for a lack of need. The average household in America has 2.28 cars while downtown condos have 1 car and apartments have .6 cars. Given that the median income downtown* is over $76,000, these aren't poor people either.

Sources
*07302 and 07310 east of the turnpike.
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Downtown-Jersey-City-NJ.html
http://www.autospies.com/news/Study-F ... cles-Per-Household-26437/

Posted on: 2012/1/12 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Heck, I'd settle for a D'agostino or Fairway. They seem to be able to operate without parking. We already have Shoprite, PathMark and A&P for bulk weekly/bi-weekly staple stuff.

There's a nice little location at 3rd and Jersey - presently occupied of course.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Manhattan and Brooklyn are not JC or Hoboken. I would say the majority of dtjc residents have cars and drive to the grocery store. I know that I wouldn't frequent a grocery store for major food shopping here unless it had parking.

Tons do not. Like myself. Like 6 of the 8 tenants in my building. You do not speak for everyone. I frequent shoprite because it's 3 blocks away, but would go out of my way to do occasional shopping at TJs due to price point and a different array of foods available.

Quote:
We also dont have cabs we can hail outside a grocery store.

There are often livery cabs outside of shoprite, and last I noticed, they had a list of local cab companies you could call posted at the exit.

Sorry, you can argue with me all you want but no TJs or WF will open in NJ unless it has dedicated parking. Who said I spoke for everyone? I said MOST DTJC residents have a car, not all. I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't have a car, but whatever. Also who is TJs and WF targeting? Middle class to UMC shoppers and aspirational shoppers. Also, shoppers who buy groceries for a whole family (more money that they need to spend to feed their family) The majority of these people have cars and wouldn't shop at a grocery store for MAJOR grocery shopping unless there is parking.

A large grocery chain like TJS or WF want their customers to go regularly and drop a bunch of money every week. Occasional shopping is not desirable for these stores. Think about the rent they'll have to pay for a large store in this city. This is the same reason why retail chain stores like The Gap won't open up in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I am so not rich at all and I shop at TJs. Many of the basics there are cheaper or equal in price to the major supermarkets. For example, Almond Milk or Soy Milk some of the major brand ones(although TJs has their own brand) is many times a dollar or more cheaper than say the local shoprite. I always pick up one or two of them.

Also, for someone who doesn't have a car at the moment the trip to Edgewater can take an hour and half(one way) or more because I can only go on the weekends. I have to take the lightrail and then wait most of the times up to 40 mins especially if its later in the evening for a NJ Transit bus. So it would be awesome to see a TJs at JC or Bayonne.

Why are you spending an hour and half to go to Edgewater when you can take the PATH to 23rd st a 15-20 min trip where there is a Trader Joes 21st & 7th and Whole Foods 24th & 7th, a few blocks away from the 23rd st station?

Posted on: 2012/1/12 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i'm a big fan of some of the random stuff i find at trader joe's. their prices are reasonable for the most part and they do tend to have things you don't find at shoprite/a&p on a regular basis, but i hate the drive to edgewater far too much to go up there on a regular basis. i like to buy stuff to bring to parties from there such as their layer dips, appetizers, and prepared items, so when i'm planning on bringing snacks somewhere to entertain, i have no problem taking the trip. for regular groceries though, a&p and shop rite work just fine for me.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Manhattan and Brooklyn are not JC or Hoboken. I would say the majority of dtjc residents have cars and drive to the grocery store. I know that I wouldn't frequent a grocery store for major food shopping here unless it had parking.

Tons do not. Like myself. Like 6 of the 8 tenants in my building. You do not speak for everyone. I frequent shoprite because it's 3 blocks away, but would go out of my way to do occasional shopping at TJs due to price point and a different array of foods available.

Quote:
We also dont have cabs we can hail outside a grocery store.

There are often livery cabs outside of shoprite, and last I noticed, they had a list of local cab companies you could call posted at the exit.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Any TJs or Whole Foods would want a parking lot. Where in Downtown would they be able to open a store that has a dedicated parking lot?

I do like the idea of one opening up in Bayonne. I'd travel there for a TJs or WF.

The ones in Manhattan and Brooklyn do not have parking lots.

Manhattan and Brooklyn are not JC or Hoboken. I would say the majority of dtjc residents have cars and drive to the grocery store. I know that I wouldn't frequent a grocery store for major food shopping here unless it had parking. JC also does not have the public transportation that manhattan and Brooklyn have. We also dont have cabs we can hail outside a grocery store. You cannot compare our city with NYC, which is why it is doubtful those stores would open up in JC anytime soon.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Neverleft, maybe we should just knuckle drag back to our caves.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Asif wrote:

Neverleft if you want id be happy to take you to TJs and show you about....or at least go there and see for yourself before you decide it's not your kind of place. TJs does promote itself as a hipster place and I understand why...but trust me the prices and selection are not for those with silver spoons only.

I partook in a pumpkin tart that somebody said was just "oh so amazing!" from Trader Joe's, guess what? It tasted like sh*t. And no I'm not just saying that. Keep that crap for the Hoboken crowd.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 2:30

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017