Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New neighbors....new....smells.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend that you not visit India as a hoiliday destination - The smells will bowl you over !

Posted on: 2012/1/14 8:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
I miss the choo choo, bit since I didn't make any resolutions I'd suggest sticking some herring under their door when it looks like they may be leaving for the weekend.
Fvck the burbs suck, I miss complaining about you JC.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 2:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/3 14:48
Group:
Registered Users
Not to put you down but back in the day the only smells around here were your mom's spicy tomato sauce or maybe the neighbor would make some rice con carne, and nobody complained because that was your dinner. We didn't have no curry back then and I'm not sure where you would have gone of you wanted any. It was hard enough just finding fennel fir moms spicy sausage! Id sometimes come home empty handed, and she'd be standing there with a single tear in her eye (her left), her disappointment palpibble. And boy, if she didn't hit you with a truncheon after something like that! I'm telling you.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scribblejam wrote:
I can just about see where this conversation is headed...haha

Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
you're talking about curry, right?

Quote:

bear wrote:
with new neighbors have come their cooking smells. approaching the building, walking up the main stair, and inside my apartment.... you can smell what they have cooked. it is strong and constant.

i have always lived in apartment buildings and understand communal living and the very high tolerance level of all things that goes with it, but this is so far out of my experience and am afraid the smell is going to start to become part of me. i really don't want that.

i am pretty sure i know there is nothing i can do about it aside from move, but i have been here a long time and love my apartment, landlord, and other neighbors. anything at all anyone can suggest to do to deal? to at least keep the smells from getting into my place and things and lingering on my clothes?

LOL, it is heading towards:

"it's a city, live with it. If you want your own smells, move to the burbs..."

LOL.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 11:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
I can just about see where this conversation is headed...haha

Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:

Quote:

bear wrote:
with new neighbors have come their cooking smells. approaching the building, walking up the main stair, and inside my apartment.... you can smell what they have cooked. it is strong and constant.

i have always lived in apartment buildings and understand communal living and the very high tolerance level of all things that goes with it, but this is so far out of my experience and am afraid the smell is going to start to become part of me. i really don't want that.

i am pretty sure i know there is nothing i can do about it aside from move, but i have been here a long time and love my apartment, landlord, and other neighbors. anything at all anyone can suggest to do to deal? to at least keep the smells from getting into my place and things and lingering on my clothes?

Posted on: 2012/1/13 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

bear wrote:

Posted on: 2012/1/12 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
I see you are complaining about odors have you thought about if you are putting off odors as well ? Perhaps your neighbors are putting up with something on your end too. Maybe the others are just grateful to have a roof over their heads and are holding back on complaining on what may be just sweating the small stuff.

About once a year you morph from intense xenophobe to Peace Corps volunteer. What's up with that?

It's a New Year's resolution that I can't seem to keep. Sometimes I play "devil's advocate", just to see what the other side of the fence looks like. You have to look at three sides of the coin...which includes the edge.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I see you are complaining about odors have you thought about if you are putting off odors as well ? Perhaps your neighbors are putting up with something on your end too. Maybe the others are just grateful to have a roof over their heads and are holding back on complaining on what may be just sweating the small stuff.

About once a year you morph from intense xenophobe to Peace Corps volunteer. What's up with that?

Posted on: 2012/1/11 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/10 6:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the tips...

will try my hand at sealing off some stuff. we don't have ducted exhausted fans to the outside. all the kitchens have windows so hard ducting is not a code requirement and therefore was not done... i have noticed their window open and even once the door to the stair hall (!)

these air purifiers are filters you put in your AC vents, or stand alone machines? i am not familiar with them. any recommendations on a decent one or they are all pretty standard?

Posted on: 2012/1/10 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
I had the same issue in my apt - there was an exhaust shaft behind my built-in microwave, shared by apartments on all four floors.

I sealed it and I have no more neighbor cooking odors.

That was some mix!

Posted on: 2012/1/9 14:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Have you tired sealing up all air entry points on walls shared with the neighbor? Outlets, phone jacks, and cable outlet. Seal the edges of the outlet cover with masking tape or thin layer of caulk. If you are not using the outlet, cover it with masking tape or the child proof covers.

Sniff around the door jambs: seal up the hole in the striker pate with masking tape -- sometimes air comes through there, especially if you have metal door frames.

Seal the perimeter of your entry door. All four sides. Use window weather strips on the inside far corner of the door frame on the top, bottom and opening side. On the fourth side, use 1/8" double sided tape (only expose one side of the tape -- stick it to the door frame, not the door). You may have to push the door closed for some time, but you'll find it'll block smells and noise.

These steps worked for me.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
it's a tough one, but as a paying tenant you have an implied "warrant of habitability." Talk to your landlord and see what he's willing to do. Smoke, fish, curry etc should not be something you routinely have to deal with, especially if your clothes and furniture are being impacted...

Posted on: 2012/1/9 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Air purifiers. We had this issue in an apartment where a family used woks with fish oil and the smoke etc., went in to the hallway and permeated all the apartments. It was difficult to complain about as it's their lifestyle and food, but alas, the apartments aren't equipped with the intense exhaust fans often required for such cooking practices. They eased up on something - I presume using their own air purifiers. But it never went away in our hallways. We used our own air purifiers in the front door and other rooms. It's all we could do.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
They don't use an exhaust fan?

Posted on: 2012/1/9 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
It couldn't hurt to politlely ask them to do something about it... could it?

Or move your clothes to another part of the apartment maybe?

I can't suggest much here, haven't had this issue before but it's what I'd try to do.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 4:49

New neighbors....new....smells.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/12 22:40
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/9 4:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017