Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Wayne Street Near Grove Street PATH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:
Wayne between Barrow and Jersey Ave is the block to avoid. There is gang activity on that block and shots were fired earlier this year at 3pm in the afternoon. Apparantly a beef btn rivals. I never walk down that block, day or night.

I sometimes wonder why people even move to the city. This ain't the 'burbs and I have heard rumors that there are even television shows that portray the mean, gritty streets.

I tell ya what. I will meet you at the corner of Barrow and Jersey Avenue. You wear Kevlar, I will wear black (or, crazy me, red). You name the time. Midnight, 3 PM, whatever. ..

We will have us a nice little stroll down the street and I will introduce you to all the denizens.

Then, the next time you feel like walking down the street, you don't have to take a shortcut or be afraid. You can just walk down your street and if you recognize a regular, yell out... Hey, What Up Homie?

Posted on: 2011/12/7 22:19
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:
Wayne between Barrow and Jersey Ave is the block to avoid. There is gang activity on that block and shots were fired earlier this year at 3pm in the afternoon. Apparantly a beef btn rivals. I never walk down that block, day or night.

Last Friday at around 8pm I was walking down the street and in the park I couldn't tell if the hoodlums were brawling or just horsing around. I understand that this activity has been around for years and cannot be terminated.

I thought you lived in the heights.

Still do what's your point ?

Posted on: 2011/12/7 9:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:
I walk down that block every day during lunch break. I think its a lovely part of down with the historic brick faced buildings.

I've walked past that small park and see people "hanging" out there. The one day, one guy was smoking weed while the other was rolling a joint. This was like at 12 noon.

IMO, there's a lot worse they could be doing. I think people are blowing that block WAY out of proportion.

How do you think they pay for that weed? That's right, they steal stuff like GPS units from cars and just about any un-attended UPS package and anything else that isn't nailed down. People have to stop pretending that homeless drug addicts are charming and harmless. Do you people have any clue as to what is really going on in your neighborhoods?

So what's your point? People shouldn't be allowed to chill in a park?

They can chill all they want as they wait for you to leave your apartment so they can "go to work".

Um, ok.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:

Last Friday at around 8pm I was walking down the street and in the park I couldn't tell if the hoodlums were brawling or just horsing around. I understand that this activity has been around for years and cannot be terminated.

I thought you lived in the heights.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 0:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/7 21:34
Group:
Registered Users
The area is "OK", about as safe as anywhere Downtown.
Some suggestions:

1-Do not talk on your cellphone or check messages while you walk.
2-Do not walk home drunk or tipsy.
3-Do not listen to music through headphones while you walk.
Use your brains. Keep your awareness up and walk the way you drive...defensively.
Keep a small can of pepper spray on your key chain and don't be afraid to use it.

Posted on: 2011/12/6 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:
I walk down that block every day during lunch break. I think its a lovely part of down with the historic brick faced buildings.

I've walked past that small park and see people "hanging" out there. The one day, one guy was smoking weed while the other was rolling a joint. This was like at 12 noon.

IMO, there's a lot worse they could be doing. I think people are blowing that block WAY out of proportion.

How do you think they pay for that weed? That's right, they steal stuff like GPS units from cars and just about any un-attended UPS package and anything else that isn't nailed down. People have to stop pretending that homeless drug addicts are charming and harmless. Do you people have any clue as to what is really going on in your neighborhoods?

They can chill all they want as they wait for you to leave your apartment so they can "go to work".

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page ... ug_offenders_into_tr.html
Putting drug offenders into treatment a better choice than prison

I support legalization of weed but don't fool yourself, these people will still be stealing your stuff every chance they get. They will also avoid treatment. The guy I helped catch last month was a repeat offender scumbag. He was not strung out but he was a lazy POS who will continue to steal until someone chops off his hands. I believe in giving people a chance to get themselves straightened out but some of these folks have no interest in a new life.

Posted on: 2011/12/5 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page ... ug_offenders_into_tr.html
Putting drug offenders into treatment a better choice than prison

Posted on: 2011/12/5 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/5 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/5 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:

Posted on: 2011/12/4 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

EatingLiberally wrote:
Does anyone know what happened at that little park over Thanksgiving? I was out of town, and when I got back on Saturday, there was shredded paper EVERYWHERE. It was covering about a quarter of the back park of the park and the basketball court.

loads of shredded paper last week on Erie Street, between 1st and 2nd. it couldn't have blown all the way over, could it? so what's with these coordinated paper shredder explosions?

just learned from a neighbor that our shredded paper mess was caused by a few teenagers running through the street emptying a bag of someone's recycling, shouting "it's snowing!"

charming.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EatingLiberally wrote:
Does anyone know what happened at that little park over Thanksgiving? I was out of town, and when I got back on Saturday, there was shredded paper EVERYWHERE. It was covering about a quarter of the back park of the park and the basketball court.

loads of shredded paper last week on Erie Street, between 1st and 2nd. it couldn't have blown all the way over, could it? so what's with these coordinated paper shredder explosions?

Posted on: 2011/12/3 18:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/21 0:47
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the shredded paper has been cleaned up, but a park bench towards the back was partially burned. Not sure if it'll be replaced.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 18:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/30 13:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/11/30 14:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/11/29 19:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
yup that block is being blown out of proportion. I have lived on Wayne and Grove for 2 years now and walk past whatever war zone you guys are describing to grab beer at night and bagels during the day and have never experienced or seen/heard anything going down. Granted the news doesn't lie about some isolated events, but I wouldn't say it's a common occurrence.

As previously mentioned, just watch yourself like one would at any city at night....I figure worst case I could always use a beer bottle as a weapon.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

atara wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I think I will manage because I have no intention of getting a car. I'm selling mine before I move up! I definitely have found the consensus to be to avoid Barrow & Jersey Ave. But I'll be just a block away from it!

yes but in a city that is how it is. i walk down wayne st(i like a few blocks down wayne at dixon mills) and it is fine. i just wouldn't hang out on that block between jersey and barrow in the middle of the night. there are a TON beautiful apartments on that street with families(i can see in there huge uncovered windows with great architectural details on my walk home). it's nothing to really worry about.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The activity could easily be terminated. Methinks certain authorities would rather just keep it there rather than create a game of whack-a-mole and have it pop up on a block where property owners aren't used to it.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/11/17 22:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/3 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I think I will manage because I have no intention of getting a car. I'm selling mine before I move up! I definitely have found the consensus to be to avoid Barrow & Jersey Ave. But I'll be just a block away from it!

Posted on: 2011/11/17 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mndpacer04 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/11/17 16:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/13 15:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/11/17 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

melbyron wrote:
The only problem I had was a stolen car but as far as commuting to work and the proximity it was the best!

Only problem a stolen car? Uhhh seems kinds like a pretty major problem unless you had no attachment to said car.

Posted on: 2011/11/17 3:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/22 1:17
From Grove Street/Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
I lived on Wayne between Grove and Barrow for the past 8 years and the only reason I moved was for a bigger apartment. The only problem I had was a stolen car but as far as commuting to work and the proximity it was the best! Sure there are more sketchy people on that block than others. That particular block is notorious for garbage and litter on the street that is one downfall that it always looks trashed...

Posted on: 2011/11/17 1:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/30 13:25
Group:
Registered Users
I live nearby, and I've never had a problem there, but like any urban area you'll need to keep your eyes open. A lot of kids from the nieghborhood and nearby like to hang out at that park in big groups, which intimidates some people, but I've found them to be mostly harmless. Also, it can get pretty noisy around the park, if that's something that bothers you (people playing music from their cars, portable stereos).

Posted on: 2011/11/16 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Atara, I just sent you a PM. If you're logged in, you'll find the "inbox" in the lower left corner of the page.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 14:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks! I am actually looking at place between Grove and Barrow. That's why I was concerned. I think I am making the right choice. I appreciate your guys' feedback!

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
That particular block of Wayne Street (between Barrow and Jersey) has its issues. Just do a search under "Wayne Street issues" for previous threads here on that particular block. Things seemed to have calmed a bit recently with the construction of a pricey condo project at the corner of Wayne & Barrow. A lot of the problems stem from the playground on that block, especially at night. While I think it's generally safe, you do need to keep your wits about you, and you may encounter quality-of-life issues. A lot depends on your tolerance level. I would recommend going one block east on Wayne (between Grove and Barrow). It's just one block, but a noticeable difference. Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
The Van Vorst neighborhood is one of the safest neighborhoods in JC and it has the convenience of all the amenities you need at your footstep. I've lived here for 5 years now and never had an issue. In the past, there have been issues here and there on Wayne, however a lot of that seems to have gone away in the past year or so as the neighborhood is being gentrified even more.

Hope this eases your minds a bit. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2011/11/16 13:50

Wayne Street Near Grove Street PATH

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there, it was recommended by another site I visit your forum to ask my questions. I am from out of state and am in the position of having to line something up before I move.

I was looking at an apartment on Wayne Street, 0.3 miles from Grove Street Path, close to Hernandez Mini Market.

Is this a safe area to relocate to?

Posted on: 2011/11/16 10:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017