Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#34
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/9 17:47
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 26
Offline
Quote:

LHS is not perfect, but they're all we've got. So how about banding together to improve the facility and its services?

Oh I know why not: because it's much easier to sit in front of a computer screen and bitch about a problem than it is to try to fix it.


No, the answer isn't that "we" aren't willing to band together. It's up to the leadership of any shelter to reach out and engage the community. the commitment has to come from the top.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 22:22
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
Quote:

Mamarama wrote:
But the "facts" about the dog you mention are not publicly known and there was a reason (that the owner did not disclose) why the dog had to be put down. THAT didn't make its way into the press, so unfortunately LHS gets a bad rap.


Wow, so all of our local press is so biased that they wouldn't tell the entire story about this dog? I find that hard to believe. If this is the case, though, I'd think that LHS would do its best to clear its name by telling its side of the story. In this age of Web 2.0, it's incredibly easy and affordable for anyone to do so, even an under-funded shelter. But LHS hasn't spoken out and given any details about Sniper. Interesting.


She clearly said the owner didn't fully disclose information and consequently, the information didn't make it to the press. She did not say that local press is biased and chose not to publicize select information.

Now please continue the catfight.


C'mon now. Let's not let the facts get in the way of our hysteric rant. (Are you new here?)

Also: kudos to the gang who stepped in to take Coles off the street. Nice to see somebody actually putting their actions where other peoples' mouths are.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:08
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#32
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/4 21:28
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 81
Offline
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
Quote:

Mamarama wrote:
But the "facts" about the dog you mention are not publicly known and there was a reason (that the owner did not disclose) why the dog had to be put down. THAT didn't make its way into the press, so unfortunately LHS gets a bad rap.


Wow, so all of our local press is so biased that they wouldn't tell the entire story about this dog? I find that hard to believe. If this is the case, though, I'd think that LHS would do its best to clear its name by telling its side of the story. In this age of Web 2.0, it's incredibly easy and affordable for anyone to do so, even an under-funded shelter. But LHS hasn't spoken out and given any details about Sniper. Interesting.


She clearly said the owner didn't fully disclose information and consequently, the information didn't make it to the press. She did not say that local press is biased and chose not to publicize select information.

Now please continue the catfight.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 13:28
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#31
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 18:47
Last Login :
2011/11/8 3:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4
Offline
mrasg1, you did a great job. Glad you did more than what I could've done if I caught him. I'm going to miss seeing Cole but I'm glad he is safe. I'll let Julie know, I'm pretty sure she will be happy even though you might think different.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 3:49
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/4/18 0:04
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1318
Offline
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Michelle and the great ladies of S.A.V.E. Thank you for taking in Coles. It was great to meet all of you. What you do for these beautiful animals, is amazing.

If anyone wants to make a donation of supplies, etc, please take a look at the wish list.

We will still do all we can at this end to adopt Coles out. But the main thing is, we got him off the streets. Thanks to Taz for all his help as well!!!


http://save.rescuegroups.org/info/



Awesome outcome!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 3:16
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/20 15:31
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 373
Offline
Michelle and the great ladies of S.A.V.E. Thank you for taking in Coles. It was great to meet all of you. What you do for these beautiful animals, is amazing.

If anyone wants to make a donation of supplies, etc, please take a look at the wish list.

We will still do all we can at this end to adopt Coles out. But the main thing is, we got him off the streets. Thanks to Taz for all his help as well!!!


http://save.rescuegroups.org/info/

Posted on: 2011/11/8 2:52
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#28
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 1:11
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Cole is a sweetie pie. We are happy to have him. Will keep you updated :)

Posted on: 2011/11/7 22:50
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/11/15 21:43
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
Quote:

Mamarama wrote:
But the "facts" about the dog you mention are not publicly known and there was a reason (that the owner did not disclose) why the dog had to be put down. THAT didn't make its way into the press, so unfortunately LHS gets a bad rap.


Wow, so all of our local press is so biased that they wouldn't tell the entire story about this dog? I find that hard to believe. If this is the case, though, I'd think that LHS would do its best to clear its name by telling its side of the story. In this age of Web 2.0, it's incredibly easy and affordable for anyone to do so, even an under-funded shelter. But LHS hasn't spoken out and given any details about Sniper. Interesting.


I've been following the case of Sniper on facebook, and it seems like his caring owners are quite internet-savvy. So how come some of this ample time and energy they're spending pleading their case online wasn't put towards finding a new home for their "beloved pet"?

As heartbreaking as his case is - and it really is - a truly responsible owner, faced with the agonizing decision to give up a pet, doesn't make an overcrowded city shelter their first stop.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 22:35
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#26
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/9 17:47
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 26
Offline
Quote:

Mamarama wrote:
But the "facts" about the dog you mention are not publicly known and there was a reason (that the owner did not disclose) why the dog had to be put down. THAT didn't make its way into the press, so unfortunately LHS gets a bad rap.


Wow, so all of our local press is so biased that they wouldn't tell the entire story about this dog? I find that hard to believe. If this is the case, though, I'd think that LHS would do its best to clear its name by telling its side of the story. In this age of Web 2.0, it's incredibly easy and affordable for anyone to do so, even an under-funded shelter. But LHS hasn't spoken out and given any details about Sniper. Interesting.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 19:56
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#25
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/4/3 1:39
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 25
Offline
His comment could have been about the first person to criticize LHS. I appreciate your constructive criticism and you\'re right on many counts. But the "facts" about the dog you mention are not publicly known and there was a reason (that the owner did not disclose) why the dog had to be put down. THAT didn't make its way into the press, so unfortunately LHS gets a bad rap.
The folks at the shelter truly try their best...and no one would work there for such little pay if they did not honestly love animals with all their hearts. It's very difficult to run a shelter in such a large city where much of the population will not spay or neuter and will readily dispose of animals for minor issues. Also, we are in a city where dog fighting amongst Pit Bulls still exists and where local government consistently cuts funding. Dealing with all of that is an enormous challenge, as I'm sure you can imagine. But I disagree that animals are killed "for no good reason" -- it's far more complicated than that. I certainly wish that this issue could be seen with more compassion--both toward the animals and those who are faced with the task of euthanizing.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 4:12
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#24
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/9 17:47
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 26
Offline
Quote:
Agreed. LHS is not perfect, but they're all we've got. So how about banding together to improve the facility and its services? Oh I know why not: because it's much easier to sit in front of a computer screen and bitch about a problem than it is to try to fix it. Carry on.


My friend, if you were directing that sarcasm at me, simply do a google of Hudson Reporter letters to the editor and you'll see my constructive criticism of LHS in the wake of the recent article about the shelter. The (since fired) shelter manager was quoted as saying something about how the shelter "can't" be no-kill. But it is SO close to having all the elements in place to be no-kill, and the no-kill equation has been out there in public for more than two decades. Yet the shelter leadership continues to insist they "have to " kill animals that could be saved with antibiotics, or simply SAVED as in the tragic case of Sniper the dog whom they killed for no good reason, and since they have no accountability there, nobody at LHS has given any kind of reason for Sniper's death.

LHS aside, there really is no valid, moral excuse for a shelter to continue killing savable animals. The no-kill equation is common, tested knowledge that has proven successful in urban, rural, red state, and blue state settings. All it takes is a commitment from shelter leadership to save lives; the people in the community, whoever they are, will band together to support it. Shelter management that refuse to acknowledge it are doing so out of pure ego, not out of concern for animals.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 1:14
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/6/12 19:00
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 224
Offline
mrasg1 & I will transport Coles to Tom's River tomorrow, no need for someone else to get involved.

Thanks...


Posted on: 2011/11/7 0:28
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#22
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 1:11
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Yes. Check you PM for my number.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 21:53
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#21
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 18:47
Last Login :
2011/11/8 3:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4
Offline
What parking lot is he in? What street? Yes I'm the Alley guy!

Posted on: 2011/11/6 21:24
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#20
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 18:47
Last Login :
2011/11/8 3:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4
Offline
michvic13, If I catch him would you take him in?

Posted on: 2011/11/6 21:23
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/6/12 19:00
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 224
Offline
Michelle, check your PM for contact info

Posted on: 2011/11/6 21:12
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#18
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 1:11
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Hi all. Any help getting a hold of him would be great and we just have to figure out how to get him here. He will be well cared for, dont worry. We will retest him, worm him and get him on antibiotics. If he comes out positive for FIV we have no problem with that, but FELV may be a problem. Make sure he has his records because if he was vaccinated for them, he may show a false positive. Take care and well catch up later.
Can I say one more thing, we all obviously love animals and kill shelters are always a gamble, as long as you do all your capable of doing than your 100 times better than someone who does nothing.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 19:59
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/20 15:31
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 373
Offline
Thank you for feeding the cats that you do. Are you the guy that lives off the alley? Great what you do. As far as Coles former owner. She wants to find him a home? Sorry, but that's laughable.
She took him in, and has now abandoned him. She did not return my call for day's. Why she did what she did is her issue, I can't personally wrap my brain around it, but I would not count on her for anything.

I am in NYC right now, but will make calls back to the fantastic group in Toms River and make plans to get Coles off the street.

Of course, in the meantime, I will hope that someone steps up and can foster him or better yet adopt him!!

Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 19:13
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#16
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 18:47
Last Login :
2011/11/8 3:46
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4
Offline
I was trying to catch Cole for Julie too. He used to come to feed by me and ever since the snow storm he stopped. I'm glad that he is still alive. I bought a cage and was ready to catch him for Julie. I've spoken to her and yes it seems like she does not want to keep Cole but offered to help find him a home. It did look lik his sinus infection was coming back. I was feeding him food and added Lysine in it. I'm already feeding 10 cats and hoping to find the kittens a home. I would take Cole but I already have 2 cats I got from LH.

Cole is a good cat and he is very affectionate. I hope you can find a home. Looks like you have lots of experience. I am a newbie and just starting feeding my outside cats over a year now. Good luck and keep me posted.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 19:07
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/2/3 21:36
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1216
Offline
Quote:

Mamarama wrote:
I really do not understand why people who obviously love animals, who work or volunteer at a shelter and those who do rescue on their own cannot find a common ground. This is the last I'll say on the topic, but it is truly unfair to malign the only (and underfunded) shelter in a huge city unless you have been in the trenches there, cleaning cages, walking dogs, and tending to sick animals.


Agreed.

LHS is not perfect, but they're all we've got. So how about banding together to improve the facility and its services?

Oh I know why not: because it's much easier to sit in front of a computer screen and bitch about a problem than it is to try to fix it.

Carry on.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 17:54
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#14
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/9 17:47
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 26
Offline
Mamawhoosis, you can't call it "maligning" if people are telling the facts about Liberty "Humane." And while we're spouting facts, how about that poor dog, Sniper, who was killed within a few hours of being surrendered to LHS? At the last City Council meeting, Sniper's former owner spoke out about how LHS tried to cover up and give her the runaround when she visited the shelter to see how Sniper was doing. He was a friendly, healthy dog.

But to get back on-topic, folks, who's going to take Coles to Toms River, or halfway? I've got my hands full with a huge TNR project or I'd go.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 17:49
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#13
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/4/3 1:39
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 25
Offline
I really do not understand why people who obviously love animals, who work or volunteer at a shelter and those who do rescue on their own cannot find a common ground. This is the last I'll say on the topic, but it is truly unfair to malign the only (and underfunded) shelter in a huge city unless you have been in the trenches there, cleaning cages, walking dogs, and tending to sick animals.

I'm relieved and pleased to hear that the kitty is NOT feral - it was just a guess based on some of the information provided. I apologize for making a premature & erroneous observation.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 14:03
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/6/12 19:00
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 224
Offline
Quote:

michvic13 wrote:
Never mind I just saw the video and he is obviously not feral, in fact he seems like a sweetie. We would love for Cole to stay with us. please email asap it is getting very chilly out and we dont want him getting any sicker.


Yep, leave it to one of the Liberty "Humane" people to jump in and declare a socialized, vacinated, friendly kitty as feral

Maybe Mama Obvious missed the part where the title said "Re: Dumped cat...

As an independent cat rescuer/friend, that has personally saved 37 cats since I moved to the NY Tri-State region in 1996, and countless others in Kali before that, I can tell you that these "professional" cat shelters are no friends to cats.

The minute that people start earning a living "saving" animals, they are suspect IMHO.

When I was involved with the largest no-kill cat rescue/adoption non-profit in NYC, I helped one of the principals save HUNDREDS of kittens from death at the ASPCA *FACT*

And since I moved to JC in 2003, I've heard from countless members of the rescue community that Liberty Humane (based on the ASPCA model) is actually worse...

Please, if you have the room, love and space in your heart, please foster -or- adopt Coles...he's a fantastic little person!

I am 100% positive he would make a welcome addition to ANY family

The OP and I are already full up with rescues (we're both 1 cat past our maximum), and we don't even have room to foster.

The streets of JC are no place for a people friendly kitty...

Please, be kind!

Posted on: 2011/11/6 6:59
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#11
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 1:11
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Never mind I just saw the video and he is obviously not feral, in fact he seems like a sweetie. We would love for Cole to stay with us. please email asap it is getting very chilly out and we dont want him getting any sicker.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 1:22
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#10
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/11/6 1:11
Last Login :
2011/11/8 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
I'm sorry I'm a little confused. In your ad you specified that Cole was very friendly but someone just said he is obviously feral??? If he is in fact friendly, and you are able to pick him up, we can help. We are full but will make room for Cole, however you will need to bring him to us or at least meet 1/2 way. We are a no kill rescue located in Toms River. Feel free to visit our website www.save.rescuegroups.org
Take care and thanks for caring about Cole.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 1:17
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#9
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/4/3 1:39
Last Login :
2015/9/3 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 25
Offline
I don't know if you've ever spent time volunteering at Liberty HUMANE Society, but they are certainly not in the habit of putting down cats with infections or other illnesses. In fact, they are overrun with cats because they do everything in their power to find animals good, safe homes--and that takes time & resources. So, before you malign the city's ONLY animal shelter perhaps spend some time there observing how hard the staff work to keep animals alive and placed in quality homes.

About this cat in question, he sounds like a true feral and if that's the case it might not be fair to try and convert him into a domesticated house pet. He will not be happy nor make a good pet and could continue to run away to be free on the streets.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 0:42
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/5/9 17:47
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 26
Offline
Guys,

This webpage has a directory of no-kill shelters in NJ. A friend of mine has had luck placing kittens at Noah's Ark in Ledgewood, which is on this list:

http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/New-Jersey

Coles seems to have a breathing condition rather than an infection. I'm not a vet, but I know his eyes and nose would be runny if he were infected. And his previous vet said something about a chronic snort.

Mrasg, I hope you got Coles off the street and into a foster home! The cold weather can't be good for him and he doesn't have a warm shelter. His best bet is to be indoors -- anywhere, temporarily -- while you inquire around for a longer-term foster/adoption solution.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 18:06
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/4/20 15:31
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 373
Offline
***Bump***

Also, please note, I put that Coles had the respiratory infection again. But that is just a guess on my part because he has been on the streets again for a couple of months. So he just needs to be tested to see if it came back. Hopefully it didn't. But,I have his papers from when the woman who had him took him to the vet. He was neutered and got all his shots in mid July, including distemper and rabies.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 4:28
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/6/12 19:00
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 224
Offline

Posted on: 2011/11/4 16:50
 Top 


Re: Dumped cat , taken off the streets, now not wanted.
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/6/12 19:00
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 224
Offline
Please everyone take a look at the video...this kitty is a keeper!

Please help...

Just sent an email to Carol @ Claws, any other suggestions?


Posted on: 2011/11/3 19:28
 Top 




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017